Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Now I know your secret!! :aaaaa:

CONTENT!

Mask 2.0 continues.

At the paper clay phase, so things are lookin' a little chubby-cheeked. A lot of this bulk will be sanded down.

So far, I'm liking this mask more than my first attempt. It's lighter, it's shaped a little more to my liking, and I feel like I kinda know what I'm doing this time!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I'm so excited to see this dress come together. Looking great so far! :3:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McPantserton posted:

Detail sculpting in apoxie sculpt has begun! This will be sanded tomorrow and then I'll start doing the fleur de lis parts, easier to do once the trim parts are cured

Question about Apoxie Sculpt -- does this have a super short shelf life?

On my second round of use, it seemed to be harder to work with. It wasn't as pliable as it was the first time around, and not as easy to keep smooth, which has led me to redo quite a bit of the layer I put down over Mask 2.0. Was I rushing it, maybe, and stretching it too much? Or was it genuinely more dry and less cooperative now that the jar's been opened a few times?

I always sealed it between uses, of course.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Neraren posted:

My Sanageyama jacket came out amazing.

(Original: )

There's even a loop under the back of the collar to sheathe my bamboo sword in. All it needs is the badge on the front and it should be complete. I have a month until SDCC to finish the mask and find some good sandals, and I should be ready to absolutely melt in the Summer California sun!

:neckbeard:

I'm up to episode 8 of the series now, watching it with friends...looking forward to more! Your jacket looks really really cool!

I don't suppose you'd be willing to do me a small favor and nab me one of those SDCC exclusive toys, would you? I'd send money in advance, of course. Maybe this is a weird request? I dunno! PM me if you care to talk any details!

So many good cosplay results this week. I'm so happy for everyone!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Anyone going to DragonCon?

:getin: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3646985

...I don't have any content to make this post better.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You look amazing!!

Mask 2.0 is finished, now on to figuring out the rest of this ridiculous helm.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Getting roommates involved in my silly project? Just a bonus.

Going to work on helmet stuff tomorrow! Wish me luck.

Mask was sliding down my face throughout this process. Any recommendations for elastics or whatever I need to attach this to my face and keep it stable? Foam padding inside? Somethin'?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Oh, there is a whole separate piece to the head gear, but I am keeping them detached. On the advice of a friend I am going to try some different straps, first, and then go from there.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Any particular style of pants?

Yellow pants are easy to find, if you don't mind trying a marker job on the pinstripes. If you name a style, that helps narrow the search, though -- I can look around.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McPantserton posted:

Or maybe look for white pinstripe pants and dye them?

This lady is waaay smarter than I am.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I like the beige, myself.

FANTASTIC work! :neckbeard:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Yond Cassius posted:

Wait, no! If you're disappointed, don't just throw the money away and give up. Write them back, "Hey, you might have sent me the wrong contacts or something, but this is not what I ordered." See if they'll make it right, or, failing that, if you can't get your credit card company to back you. It would be one thing if you ordered off-the-rack contacts for $35 or something and the color wasn't quite what you expected, but you paid a lot of money for a very specific thing and it's worth fighting for it.

Seriously. That's a lot of money to end up disappointed. Let the company know you didn't receive the product as commissioned!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

(Edit: Link fixed now that I'm not on mobile.)

Try something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/FolkWear-Japanese-Hakama-Kataginu-Pattern/dp/B00162ZSIU

http://roundearth.stores.yahoo.net/dogiforwomen.html

You could also try a traditional kimono or yukata pattern, making modifications where needed.

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 13:55 on Aug 1, 2014

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Pants, you and your crew look absolutely amazing.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I saw some great Chaos Marines at DragonCon!

(Not me, but I am responsible for the terrible picture quality.)

And I also saw this little guy:

Great inspiration to be found all over the place. :3:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Uroboros posted:

Also, with Halloween rolling up is there a costume design thread around here? Two months until Halloween, and I figure I best start working on something.

There's usually a Halloween megathread that starts up in GBS. If it's not there yet, it should show up soon.

Edit: This is also a great place to get beginner's advice and costuming help, even for something like Halloween!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Has anyone used a company that does custom printed leggings like this one? http://www.funnylegs.com/Leggings-swimsuits-tights-design-yourself.html

I only need them to stand up to being worn once or twice, so I'm not too worried if they don't last through repeated washing to be honest, but I'm curious as to what the quality is like.

You should ask in the Women's Fashion Megathread. At the very least, Queen Elizatits might chime in on overall fabric quality.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3522689

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Now how much are you going to charge me for one of these? :)

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Danger - Octopus! posted:

Has anyone used a company that does custom printed leggings like this one? http://www.funnylegs.com/Leggings-swimsuits-tights-design-yourself.html

I only need them to stand up to being worn once or twice, so I'm not too worried if they don't last through repeated washing to be honest, but I'm curious as to what the quality is like.

The one place where I expected people to know about leggings, and nobody says a peep...

Okay. I pulled up some of QE's posts on the subject of fabric quality. I see that this company uses an 80% Polyester/20% Spandex blend, which according to QE (whose wisdom I trust) puts the leggings in this quality range:

Queen Elizatits posted:

When you are looking at buying leggings it's really helpful I find to look at the fabric content. Those leggings are 95% polyester which is kind of high, most printed leggings are about 85% poly and 15% spandex.

Which isn't to say they will be bad but they won't be quite as form fitting as something with a higher spandex percentage and you may have bagginess issues. You can kind of see that on the model, those are baggy in the crotch region.

Queen Elizatits posted:

You would want four way stretch material, nothing coated or foiled, and preferably at least 15% spandex.

Queen Elizatits posted:

I would be leery of them as well. For one thing I couldn't find a single actual product picture on their page, everything is a photoshop template mock up. Maybe I missed them though. Their leggings are almost all black milk ripoffs with the added bonus of being 100% polyester meaning they would have a pretty bad fit to start with, lose their stretchiness and shape, and fade a lot more than a product made with at least 15% spandex. The fact they are charging $50 for those isn't a great sign for the quality of anything they are selling.

Queen Elizatits posted:

Aside from the too long problem the rest of the issues sound like a fabric problem. Those gap leggings you linked are 95% modal which is pretty much jersey. It's wonderful and soft and lovely for shirts but it's really not great for leggings. Like you said when it stretches it's see through. That fabric is only 5% spandex is is way too low for leggings. If you want something that keeps it shape, fits snuggly, and it isn't see through you want it to be at least 15% spandex, 18% is ideal. If you are looking at stretch velvet it'll be a little lower, velvet is usually about 10% spandex.

Are you looking for work out leggings specifically? If so try and find something made from supplex spandex. I could go on and on but it is a perfect work out material. I live in the desert and would be out in the middle of summer in a car with no A/C and the only part of me that wasn't melting were my legs because of the leggings. The other thing about supplex that I love is how durable they are. I'm really clumsy and I'm on I think almost year three of the same pair of supplex leggings I run in and I wash/run in them almost every day.

So -- based on the above fabric assessments, I think you'll be in good shape for your custom printed leggings. I'm sorry for such a delayed response on this subject!

Wikia, I love your work!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

The Repo Man posted:

Any ideas where I can buy stupidly large quantities of brushes?

Check teacher supply retailers such as: http://www.reallygoodstuff.com/30-round-xl-brushes-in-canister/p/702746/

There is also: http://www.orientaltrading.com/api/search?Ntt=paint+brush

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tsurupettan posted:

We have a cosplay thread? Holy poo poo, I had no idea. I'm putting together Priscilla from Dark Souls 1, though I'm in the 'buying all the materials' stage at the moment. Or rather, I'm making the scythe & tail (with the end cut off) and I'm having another of my friends make the actual dress.

I took a rough measurement and her scythe is actually taller than her, so I expect to make it about 6.5 to 7 feet tall (I'm 6 feet myself). I'm thinking that I will break it down into three pieces made up of the head and then the shaft split in two and have it screw together.

I want to carve the head of the scythe out of EVA foam for a base and then cover it in worbla or wonderflex. For the body, I was looking at grabbing a thick wooden pole of appropriate length, cutting it in half and inserting the screws in the middle and one at the top to affix the blade. To get the roughshod appearance, I was thinking of covering it in a layer of expanding foam and carving it away to get the desired shape. I would do this with all of the pieces screwed together so that I am sure it would fit again without issue.

Are there any issues with my plan for the weapon, or am I on the right track?

Yay! More Dark Souls cosplay.

I am WAY behind on Ciaran, with virtually no progress to display or speak of. I blame life. I should work on it more.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tsurupettan posted:

Oh cool, I just went back and checked your post history in the thread a bit. Yay Dark Souls cosplay, of which I see none of at conventions. Although I imagine you have plenty of references by now, I can give you the model viewer I used for Priscilla if you want to inspect Ciaran up close without in-game lighting or other effects.

Would love to have that -- I've been working off screenshots. Handy, with the freecam and Cheat Engine, but a pain in the rear end.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tsurupettan posted:

e: If you have questions about the program let me know. Also you need the actual game installed, which I am guessing you do. :)

Thank you so much! I'll play around with it soon. :3:

Edit: Sadly, I do not see the Ciaran character model listed...everyone else is there, but I can't find her.

Edit Edit: Twitter came through. The tool's creator says: "Ciaran isn't viewable at the moment. Because Ciaran is made up of "parts" (much like the player), which isn't supported yet."

my cat is norris fucked around with this message at 13:41 on Oct 8, 2014

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tsurupettan posted:

Am I going to have a problem with Priscilla's scythe? I plan on bringing her to Dragoncon and Katsucon in 2015. The horror stories are admittedly one of the reasons I wanted to shy away from cosplay with props (also sweaty hands from carrying it over the course of a long convention). I posted the materials for the scythe above, it seems like one of those absurd-and-impractical things to me unlike a sword or a spear or a gun.

You shouldn't have an issue at Dragon*Con. The biggest risk you'll face there is that I'll find you, and proceed to fangirl you to death.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Deadite posted:

Is there not a halloween thread this year? I made a new costume this year

This is great.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Does it really look like that in the game? I thought there was...more to the skirt.

It's looking great, though! Good luck with the scythe!

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Reformed Tomboy posted:

No, I had to alter it. The goal was to use only material I had on hand, and I ran out of fabric. The only thing I bought were the chains for the skirt (and foam and stick for the scythe).

Oh man, well, the chains are a great touch -- very clever way to rep the rest of the skirt. :3:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McKilligan, I saw some really lovely photos of your Artorias cosplay linked on Reddit, but I haven't seen you posting anything here! Do you have more to show us?

I never really picked up on the scale of the sword until seeing it in action.

I'm going to share my favorite:

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McKilligan posted:

Ah, sorry! I just assumed that most of the people here would also be checking the PYF cosplay thread. I've got a ton of photos, but I'm still waiting for a couple photographers to e-mail me. I'll put up a link to a larger album when I get home.

You should be sorry! :colbert:

I sure don't follow PYF Cosplay, but I guess I should! I do obviously Reddit stalk you, though.

Your costume is seriously incredible.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McKilligan posted:

I am sorry indeed.

Crosspost from PYF - was just e-mailed some even BETTER photos. They just don't stop.

I cannot get enough of this cosplay. Goddamn, sir.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Is he an astronaut? Why is his head so tiny? Did his brain ooze down into his biceps? How is he so ripped, isn't he like 90?

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Dynastes posted:

Has anyone ever experimented with color changing car paint used in armor making? I'm wanting to build a suit of Tzeench marked chaos armor and the color changing would be an amazing effect, but the paint seems hard to come by and might melt foam. Anyone have experience working with it or know of other ways to get the same look?

Are you talking about the stuff that changes color depending on angle? Because the "paramagnetic" stuff is a hoax.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Dynastes posted:

I hadn't even seen that. I was talking about the angle dependent one, the auto body versions I found are very expensive and require lacquer and thinners and primers that look like they would eat foam.

Liquitex sells some iridescent colors. These are just acrylic paints, and should behave as such.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Tricerapowerbottom posted:

Also, I was thinking of making the helmet out of actual metal, either aluminum or very thin steel. I know a welder who can cut and join the pieces together without a problem, but should I go with something much lighter? I don't plan on going to cons wearing this thing all day, just a party or two and going trick or treating.

Go for metal looking, not real metal. Like Pantserton suggests, cardboard or plastic will be much, much more comfortable for a costume like this. I say this having tried on a friend's Pyramid Head -- the proportions are just uncomfortable for heavy materials.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

McPantserton posted:

I need to do some amount of chain and/or scale for my Lich King build and I am so unexcited to wear it. It looks so cool but it's going to suck to make/buy and to wear. Ugh.

Even aluminum stuff gets heavy after awhile.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I've found the guide(s) on this site to be pretty helpful:

http://props.punishedpixels.com/shop/foam-armorsmithing-vol-1-design-templating-fabrication/

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Awesome work!! I love that the eyes light up.

Nice work on that Godzilla, too, whoever that is.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

You could look into Quakehold! products. Their safety straps utilize some pretty hardcore velcro to help keep furniture stable in earthquake conditions. v:shobon:v

http://www.amazon.com/Quakehold-4162-15-Inch-Furniture-Antique/dp/B000FJP24U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1425951487&sr=8-1&keywords=quake+straps

Here is an example.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Whoa.

Nice work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Kind of a silly, general costuming question. I have hair that's a few inches longer than shoulder length. Am I going to be able to cram this convincingly under a bald cap if I confine it all under a wig cap, or is the combination going to look lumpy and weird?