Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

Rufus En Fuego posted:

Also, don't underestimate the power of glue. If you think you actually might be dangerous with a sewing machine fabric glue is fantastic and can be found at any craft store.

I once had only four hours to make Rikku from FFX and it was all hot glue, all the way. No one could tell.

PS, I'm a lovely blonde.
I'm curious; why only four hours?

Also, I am completely familiar with the last minute, 3am hotel sewing marathon. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Speaking of socks, We Love Colors is a great site in general, but especially if you're looking for a pair of solid color socks. You'd be amazed at how hard it is to find basic, white knee highs; my friend had a clerk tell her in all seriousness to, "try Hot Topic for quirky things like that."

Since when are white knee highs quirky?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Wow, that's really disappointing. I'm sorry you had to go through that. I guess I'll keep that in mind if I try to order from them.

Edit: and of course as soon as I read your post, WLC makes a post on Facebook. Timing!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I think you'd make a pretty fantastic Dr. Horrible :allears:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Dr. Venture.

(No, I'm not biased at all. Why do you ask?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I am absolutely amazed at your craftsmanship!! Amazing job!!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

My progress isn't nearly as impressive as everyone else's, but I was able to find most of the pieces for my Heather Mason costume on Saturday from various thrift stores with the help of my friend (who is a wizard when it comes to finding costume pieces at thrift stores) and was also able to pick up some fabric for my track jacket for Chie from Persona 4. Really wish I could post pictures from my iPod since I don't really have a computer right now.

For Heather I was thinking of trying to modify a PVC pipe to try and make The Pipe (tm) from the game. Does anyone have any experience painting PVC or is it super easy to figure out?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I want it to look like metal more or less. Maybe add some blood, too :black101:

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Veila posted:

Mr. Mew!!
Shiki!! Oh man I love that game and it's awesome to see more cosplay from it! Can't wait to see when you're all done.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Veila posted:

Cool another fan. Yea the second needs to come out and quit teasing me. As for the costume it is pretty much finished just have to do final stitching on the jacket and attach the brim to her hat. Guess I will post a complete pic once I get one.
...There's going to be a second one?!?
:monocle:

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

It's probably the same method I used for the rust but a different patina. I used the brand Sophisticated Finishes, and the result was amazing. They have a ton of metallic finishes that adhere to PVC. Not sure about the other finishes, but the rust one is real rust and will flake off if you mess with it, so I would recommend sealing it when you're finished.
What would you recommend to use for sealing?

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

I thiiiiink they make a sealant for use on their products, but otherwise you can use almost anything. Mod Podge, spray topcoat, etc. If you use spray top coat I would be careful about the 'matte' and 'satin' finish ones, they clouded on me the last time I used them (I was using them on a different finish though), the 'lacquer' finish was fine though :confused:
Cool! I'll keep all that in mind. Thank you!!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Psychobabble! That is so cool!!

Not much, but here's some progress I made on my Heather Mason costume (with the help of my wonderful friend who is a wizard at sewing

Please note the awkward stance and the "I Don't Know What To Do With My Arms" face. We were also able to convert a pink sweater into a sweater vest for a school uniform variant of Nia Teppelin from Gurran Lagann.

Christ, I need to learn how to pose :eng99:

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Aug 31, 2012

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I'm planning on the pipe actually but if that doesn't work out my younger brother has a fairly realistic looking toy handgun that could also work.

That's a good idea and I'll definitely keep that in mind! I've also heard that standing at a 3/4 angle is a lot more flattering. It's a lot easier when you have a prop or the character has a signature pose (did Usagi from Sailor Moon last year so that was easy), but I tend to do characters that don't really have those, like Rhyme from TWEWY and Sophie from Howl's Moving Castle. Just smile and try to look pretty I guess!

Edit: also, I agree, Heather kicks copious amounts of rear end.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Cinnamon Bastard posted:

The only way to pose, for any costume is to flex like you're trying to embarrass Arnold Schwarzenegger, and pull a ridiculous face.

Never be serious, always have more fun than everyone else in the room.
This is brilliant and I will keep that in mind. Thank you!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Pleating is tedious :(

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Thanks! It's a linen polyester blend and it holds the pleats really well!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I can't wait to see how that turns out!

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Veila, you make a really cute Shiki and I love how it turned out! Can't wait to see more pictures!

Edit: also, does anyone recommend a good paint for painting on plastic? I bought some cheap-ish reading glasses for my Persona 4 costume and was just wondering if there was something that would work better than acrylic...unless acrylic is totally the way to go.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Sep 15, 2012

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

^^^ Holy poo poo that's awesome!!

To whoever it was asking about doing alternate Heather Mason outfits: Do it! I love seeing alternate costumes and it definitely adds variety.

To anyone with experience dyeing fabrics: I have a skirt that is 50% Polyester 25% Acrylic and 25% Rayon. It's a light grey skirt that I'm trying to dye a really dark grey for a Hogwarts skirt and I was wondering if there was any dye someone would recommend? I've heard that dyeing polyester is kind of a process. A friend of mine suggested using a mixture of iDye and iDyePoly in the color I want, but I just wanted to get some second opinions before jumping head first into this. I've never dyed anything before.

Happy Landfill fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 23, 2012

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Dang :sigh: It's the perfect skirt, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

If you're good at sewing or are willing/able to practice you could take the skirt apart and use it to make a pattern. Then you can get it in the perfect color and material!

Killer_Frost posted:

I did some research not too long ago about dying polyester, the one I read suggested using alcohol as the liquid. I never got around to dying that fabric, and mind was 100% polyester so I wasn't worried about it not dying evenly.

I say rip the skirt into pieces and re-make it in the right color. Might be less of a nightmare.

Will probably have to do that. Guess I was just hoping to skip a step. Thanks, guys!