Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I have perfectly clear glitter that flashes white when hit with light. It's not iridescent (pink/blue) at all. It exists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
So I kind of lived in a pop culture cave this summer and just got around to checking out Brave.

Good god. Disney finally made a princess who looks like me. Same face shape and unruly red hair and everything (my eyes are green, though, and I won't be wearing contacts because they're annoying and I seriously doubt anyone's going to care). I can't loving pass this up. :woop:

Going to the fabric store, like, right now.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Just link to the sewing thread. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2701891

There's so much info there your head will explode.

Edit: If that's not hands-on enough, I'm about to start my Merida costume (simple dress) and can document the process. I've been sewing semi-professionally for over 20 years and know a thing or two.

Rufus En Fuego fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Sep 28, 2012

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

neongrey posted:

Okay I'm asking here rather than the general sewing thread because it's specifically for the purposes of costuming in general and cosplay in specific. So, I'm looking at getting my sister a sewing machine for christmas for her costumes and the like. If I go and pick up whatever's on for between eighty and a hundred bucks at wal-mart, will I be purchasing a machine that will only give her grief?

Nope! There's absolutely nothing wrong with cheap sewing machines, because at their heart they perform very basic functions (especially Brother and Singer, which are both sold at WalMart, IIRC). That being said, if she's super into costuming and wants to do more complex stitches or more heavy-duty sewing you're better off looking into some hardier machines. I can help you find a good one if you're leaning toward the latter.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I don't have any con plans in the foreseeable future, except for the dim and useless hope of getting SDCC or BlizzCon tickets. I've been trying for BlizzCon for five years and SDCC for three. I'm a lovely ticket-getter. :(

But if I can finally pull it off I'll wear a different BSG costume every day at SDCC. :dance:

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I have a friend like that. She knows poo poo about anime or video games or sci-fi (we're working on that), but she's totally game for dressing up.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Ugh, the fat comments piss me off, too. They're just mad about :flaccid:

Gonna embark on some Disney Princess stuff soon, for myself and a couple of friends and the lulz. Cinderella, Snow White and Belle, I think. Can't wait to get my hands on some yellow satin. :frogsiren:

What's everyone got planned this year?

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

taiyoko posted:

My little sister's asked me to help her make this dress for Halloween.

She picked up the pattern yesterday because it was on sale. I'm actually kind of excited about working on this despite my utter loathing of the fabric cutting stage. I'll use some of my stash fabric to make a muslin of the top, though, because the last thing I helped her make was too large in the bust but fit perfectly everywhere else.

No offense, but I loathe this pattern. Not because of difficulty or fit (fit looks atrocious, PS) but because the drat thing can't decide what it wants to be. Style-wise it's the most confusing mish-mash of a pattern I've ever seen come out of a major publisher, and I literally own every costume pattern that McCall's, Butterick and Simplicity have published since 2000. It's like the designer wanted to create something historical (labeled Victorian, lol) but decided about five minutes in that it was too much work and oh well, no one's gonna notice anyway!!1! Well, I noticed, McCall's. I loving noticed. :rant:

THAT BEING SAID

It looks hella fun to make and if anyone ever asked me to sew it for them I'd get over myself long enough to do it because big dresses = best times had with a sewing machine EVER (beside corsets and other underpinnings). The lace! The pickups! :frogsiren: You can get really creative and fancy schmancy with it.

I don't know what kind of sewing experience you have, but I've been sewing for oh god, 25 years now and it has only been the last 5 or so that I've really enjoyed cutting fabric. It's a zen thing for me now and I almost enjoy it more than the actual sewing. Maybe it'll get better for you one day!

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

taiyoko posted:

It may also be in part because I don't have a proper cutting table or anything, so cutting means laying everything out on the floor and either fighting with scissor cuts not coming out exactly right, or having to gently caress around with moving my mat for rotary cutting and trying not to slice up the floor. So annoying.

This is my sewing table. It's super heavy-duty and folds easily to be tucked behind a door when not in use. Smooth surface means no snagging on fabric unless you ding it with a pair of shears (just sand it out). Fantastic for transporting to parties for beer pong, can comfortably seat eight+ people for Thanksgiving and it's even supported my 130-pound rear end while changing batteries in my 15' high smoke detectors. I've had it for ten years and it's been worth every penny.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Funhilde posted:

They make tables like that that fold in half as well. I've used ours for at home sewing when I'm not in my studio. It is shorter than I like for most of my cutting needs but it is better than using the floor.

This one folds in half and even has a handle for carrying. They also make eight-footers, but they're not as sturdy.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Ha ha, all this Soul Calibur talk made me hunt down my ancient Seong Mi-na costume from SCII. It's SO BAD. It was my first cosplay and I has just moved from across the country so all my usual sewing supplies were in storage. I literally made the thing out of costume satin and Stitch Witchery. I should see if pics of me wearing it still exist and post them here, because all must revel in the horror.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

McPantserton posted:

I am scrapping every other costume plan I had and making Bioshock Infinite costumes from now until forever.

I want to be Mecha Gatling Washington more than just about anything. :ohdear:

Oh my god this is exactly my style/thing/obsession/whatever. It might be time to finally play Bioshock.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"

Reformed Tomboy posted:

I've committed to doing a Wizard and I'm now at the point where I need to pick fabric. I've already ordered some swatches, but they haven't arrived yet. I'm really worried I'm going to pick the wrong thing and it'll look bad.

How do you all choose what type of fabric to use?

Suitability, accuracy, and interest.

Suitability - Is this fabric appropriate for my purpose? Does it launder well? How will it look after a few uses? How will it hang in comparison to other fabrics? How well does it sew? It might look great, but if it's a pain in the rear end to work with or causes me to sweat like a pig after only wearing it for half an hour, I'd probably go with something else.

Accuracy - Does it look like something the character in their universe would use? Is it appropriate for the time period? Is it luxe enough or poor enough? Plenty of expensive-looking fabrics can be had on the cheap and vice versa.

Interest - Sometimes a fabric can be absolutely accurate to the character but look completely boring in person, so a little visual interest such as a fun weave or subtle print can really take it to the next level. Example: Lia in Le Chevalier D'Eon wore a wine colored gown, but flat wine was too boring, so I went with a wine/black duochrome taffeta and it was GORGEOUS.

These aren't hard and fast rules, but they're ones I absolutely live by and have worked wonderfully for me for the last ~25 years.

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Grommet punches are poo poo. Don't waste your money. Just get a grommet kit from WalMart or something - it comes with the mandrel, anvil and the grommets/collars and it's like $3. Use small pointed scissors or an awl to start the hole, and widen slowly as you fit the grommet. If the clinking really is a concern I'd worry more about the rings smacking together as you walk and not how the rings are going to react with the grommets. :psyduck: If you want to go the more natural route, here's a decent tutorial on hand binding eyelets. http://www.curiousfrau.com/tutorials/88-how-to-make-beautiful-hand-bound-eyelets

Honestly, though, I think doing the grommets would result in a cleaner look and it takes like five seconds.

ETA: The grommets weigh practically nothing.

Rufus En Fuego fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Apr 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
Hey, Red Robin Hood! I mentioned it a long time ago but don't see it in the OP, so can you add JoAnn's Fashion Fusion magazine? It's $3.99 and has six 40-50% off coupons on the back. Ask for it at checkout/customer service. It comes out twice a year (spring, fall) and the coupons are good for six months at a time.