Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

I'm going to get myself into something I can't handle, aren't I? Here goes. :ohdear:

I've attended A-Kon for the past 2 years and have always cosplayed, but only really simple stuff... I've never really made something unique. Well, I've decided I desperately need to do a full-fledged League of Legends cosplay. There's over 100 champions, so there's plenty to choose from. I've decided my #1 would be Syndra, an evil bitch whose immense magical potential leads her to want to beat the poo poo out of people every day, now and forever! LoL isn't famous for its well-written lore. Regardless, I love playing her, and I've yet to see many out there. A lot of the other female characters have plenty of solid cosplayers already.

If I do this, I'm putting myself in a tough position. I'm going into my senior capstone next semester, which ends in early May. A-Kon starts at the beginning of June. That leaves me with precious few weeks over the next 6 months to put it together without interfering with my portfolio work. My main skills are beginning sewing, design, drawing, and MacGyver-style craft projects (taking what I can find and makin' it work, fast). My mom is an experienced tailor on retirement, who loves to hear about and help with my nerdy pastimes whenever I swing into town. Aside from that, I've got Michael's, Hobby Lobby, Home Depot, and art supplies all over my house.

All that said, does anyone have tips for a beginning-ish cosplayer looking to use cheap/non-fancy crafting materials for this outfit? There's a lot of yellow-gold metallic pieces, and I think the only way for me to pull it off is carving foam and painting it all. I know there's loads of tutorials to look at, but I was hoping to get some goon guidance. I trust you guys before I trust the rest of the internet (maybe I'm misguided... naaah). For example, the helmet/mask horrifies me. I don't even know where to start!

Feel free to tell me to just check out tutorials. I just thought I'd run it by you guys. Thanks for posting all those neat pictures, too. It's been fabulous checking out all the work you guys have done. I can only describe it as :aaa:

Official splash art:

Some quick snapshots I took of her model in action:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Thanks to everyone! :) Sweet advice on the foam and sealants, especially... Lots of options out there. LadyRavenWaves, don't expect a whole lot out of me. :ohdear: If this semester turns out to be even harder than expected, I'm going to show up in my last ditch cosplay. Regardless, I'd love to meet up and chat! That goes for any A-Kon goons that come through here.

EDIT: In http://www.firelilycosplay.com/craftfoam.html it says, "...you can also iron the foam to seal the surface without coating it in glue!" Has anyone tried this or heard this? If it's true, that'd be a dream come true. I have a feeling it'd only work for small things, though...

broken pixel fucked around with this message at 00:54 on Dec 4, 2012

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

As I thought, I'm too short for time and money to do anything fancy for A-Kon. I can't believe it's less than a month away now. I'm planning on tackling another League champion, Spellthief Lux, even though she's been cosplayed to death. I think I can bring it a step above the masses by doing some detailing and bringing it to life. I have a few questions before I get going on it! I have references below.

Test tubes: Does anyone have a good resource for some of those, preferably plastic/hard to break ones? It looks like the tubes are glowing in her official art. I've looked up a few individual submersible LEDs, but most of them are too big (1" or more wide). Are there any smaller ones I could use, submersible or not?

Staff: I think a bigger, bright LED would be best for the staff; I see people using orbs on the end but I think it's just supposed to glow. I'm thinking for the rest of the staff, I'll have to use paper mache or something to shape the ends and paper to cover the staff.

Cloak: My mom and I are going to work together to shape the edging, but I was curious what you guys would recommend for the decoration. I could hand stitch it, but I'm more of a drawing type than sewing. I'm afraid fabric paint would look cheesy and come off too easily. I'm looking for a decent cloak pattern currently, so if anyone knows of one, I'd love to take a look.

My favorite cosplay of this look I've seen, since it includes the edging details.

3D model from the game

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Have I ever mentioned how amazing you guys are at cosplay? :swoon:

wheatpuppy posted:

You can order plastic test tubes cheap from Amazon, or if you have any medical supply stores or university book/supply stores in your area it's a good bet you can find them there. I've heard of people cracking open glow sticks to use the innards for glowing props (Arkham Asylum Scarecrow), but I've never done it myself. I don't know how long the glow lasts, or visible it would be in a brightly-lit environment.

Killer_Frost posted:

For the test tubes you could just use regular led's then use some fabric, or paper, or something to diffuse the light so it looks like its liquid. The bigger LEDs are more visible in daylight. Same thing for the staff.

The robe, I used Simplicity 5840 for my Jedi robe and it works pretty great. They've got a pattern for one with that little short over cape, which you could lengthen or shorten as needed. As for the design, a good fabric paint shouldn't come off, but if you're more comfortable drawing they make fabric paint pens.

If you want nice crisp edges you could make your own stencil too.

I know I'm late replying, but I still want to say thanks! I might forego the test tube glow all together, but we'll see how my "painting the inside of tiny glass tubes" adventure goes. As for the robe, the pattern is great! We're going to work on it tonight, hopefully. I think I'm going to use fabric paint over fabric chalk lines and work my way carefully around the hood. It might not be perfect, but I think I can do it.

I'm coming back to ask for advice on my staff again. Of the supplies I have laying around, I've got a sturdy cardboard tube at the size I want, brown fabric that's pretty light/has minimal texture, acrylics, Mod Podge (because I'm too lazy to mix my own glue :shobon:), and all sorts of random other materials. I want the "claws" at both ends to look like branches, but I think I'll have to make them structured unless someone has a good suggestion. I could use cardboard, paper, fabric, and any other number of materials I have laying around, but I don't know what would be sturdy enough to withstand ~3 days of use. Once that's all done, I've decided to mount a clear orb on both ends... I guess my question is what materials are best for achieving this? I'm scared it's all going to crumble if I use hot glue or something. :ohdear: There must be a way.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Killer_Frost posted:

I was going to do an Indigo Lantern at one point, they have similar-ish staffs so I did a lot of research at the time. If you want to use what you have already using some wire/wire hanger to get the basic shape down then you could use paper mâché to built it up to the right final shape. If you want to buy stuff, you could use the same starting point and use sculpey to get the final shape. Once its baked its rock hard. It'd make it through the 3 days as long as you don't beat someone with it. ;)

If you don't want to use wire as a base you could look into using the fabric and just stiffening the fabric. It might be less sturdy than using the wire as a base but it would keep you from buying anything.

There's all sorts of tutorials online for painted "milk glass" right now. I'm sure those could give you some tips for painting the test tubes.

I'm glad the pattern works for you. Lots of luck with the painting, can't wait to see how it all comes together. :)

four lean hounds posted:

If I understand correctly, you're looking for a relatively sturdy/lightweight/cheap way to make claws for the ends of a staff? I would suggest using floral wire as a "skeleton" to help support the claws. The wire will hold a form, which you can then set with glue/paper mache/duct tape and will have more "give" than clay, so if you get nudged in a crowd it might not fall apart so easily.

Thanks yet again. :) After some experimentation, I ended up making the skeleton yesterday using the cardboard tube, floral wire (two wires twisted together for extra strength), and duct tape. Now, I'm going to see if there's a way to use the fabric over it, but I might go straight to paper mache-ing it. It's great to be able to apply some of the techniques I learned in foundation art classes... I did wire sculptures for a while and really loved it. Crafting the claws with it made so much sense when I really thought about it more.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Hey LadyRavenWaves and any others! We should meet up at A-Kon. I'm almost there myself and should be around through early-mid Sunday afternoon. If anyone has PMs, feel free to send or request a phone number.

Edit: If we meet today, I might ask for some finishing tips on my outfit. I'm close to being done but still have some details left to go. :downs:

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Awww drat I wish I had checked here before leaving I would have been so down. This weekend was nuts. My costume schedule got all kinds of mixed up after I had the scare that a tornado might be ripping up my house Friday afternoon. Sylvanas didn't even place in the game contest, some drunk guy in a dead pool costume dropped me on the ground, and I never got to drink... like at all. Man I totally botched this con. Ah well I had fun wearing my stuff and got to hang out with my Texas friends. So it wasn't a complete waist hopefully I will find some pics of full on Sylvanas so I can share, I think it was at least still pretty cool.

Edit: Found one

It's not a problem at all! I completely sympathize with the tornado potentially ripping up your house thing... It always throws you for a loop. I can't believe you didn't place, and seriously, gently caress Deadpool #349 (how many were there?).

I enjoyed myself, too, but some people seem really pissed about issues with the new hotel. I'll admit, they need to fix some things, but I understand it's not easy to make that transition. Hopefully they'll concede and mail our pre-registration passes next year.

I had a lot of fun hanging out with other League of Legends cosplayers this year. I'll post a picture of my outfit and a group picture of all of us soon. I can't thank you guys enough for the tips and encouragement! It gave me the drive to do what little I could in a busy week.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Line con was full of lines but I mean other than there positioning of pre reg I think a big chunk of it was just trying to settle into the new hotel. Hopefully people will mellow and realize while it was a little confusing to find stuff at times that it will be better next year. I remember the first Akon at Adam's Mark/Sheraton was confusing too but people got it figured out after a bit.

Your costume was so adorable I wish I had gotten my handler to take a picture of you but I wasn't thinking about it. Next time we get a chance to meet up we will have to do it in more casual outfits, lol.

Thank you; you looked fantastic, yourself! I'd love to meet up sometime, of course, in less cumbersome/hot clothing. I found a decent shot of my outfit, so I thought I'd post it here. This is phase 1 of this outfit. I'd like to get better pants (tighter fit, thinner fabric), retouch the cape trim decoration, and some other minor things. Other than that, people who knew what I was seemed impressed with the overall look; I'm glad about that since it's a fairly subtle outfit.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

LadyRavenWaves posted:

Honestly with a better camera/lighting it looks just fine I just like to dog on the costume because it is supposed to be super tacky. With all the detail stitching around the boning though I have dropped about 30-40 hours in hand stitching on this beast I am actually pretty proud of it.

Reference for those unfamiliar.

That's pretty cool! Will it be at any cons in our area? I'd love to check it out. I did a rough Panty cosplay once for fun, and I've considered doing the ~animu silky angel form~ before... I'd need a proper partner, though. It's a hard cosplay to solo.

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Aaaah, life has been insane, and now it's crunch time! First off, to everyone who has posted recently, you guys are rad and great craftspeople. It makes me wish I was better and had actual advice to contribute rather than leeching advice from the thread. :ohdear: Now, A-Kon is next Friday and I need to make a hat--specifically, this hat:

I've looked up some patterns and premades, but I can't decide what solution fits best. I don't have a sewing machine, but I can hand stitch if I need to. Does anyone have an idea/have a degree in hat-making? I'd really appreciate it

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

Thanks for the pattern help earlier in the thread. :3: It really did save my rear end on the hat. Here's a picture of me from a shoot (oh god, I really should've pulled the hat down before the shots here)! My next planned cosplay is Zelda from Skyward Sword, but I'm sorta leaning toward someone with a cute pixie cut or bob... Long wigs are a hell of a job.

7thBatallion posted:

Hey! It did fade! It just took many, many hours...And it's barely noticeable.
I know that feeling. :ohdear: As mentioned, you pretty much have to repeat the process daily until you get the results you want. Good luck--I'm sure it'll come through soon!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

broken pixel
Dec 16, 2011

drat. All the work you've posted is incredible, but I have to say, I would especially love to have myself a glowing rock (er, Infinity Orb) like that.