Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

^^^ Like this, but its your mouth, and shit comes out of it.

"edit: Oh neat, babby's first avatar. Kind of a convoluted metaphor but eh..."

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
What would be the best course of action if I want to put some text on fabric? I'm trying to make the S.T.A.R.S jacket for Chris Redfield from Resident Evil 1 and I have no idea how to do the actual logo on the back. Do I paint it? Take it to some kind of shop? Sharpie it on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

No, shit is actually extruding out of your mouth, and your'e a pathetic dick, shut the fuck up.
Are there any good places to ask around for getting a pepakura design done? I have fun putting the things together, but I can't actually create a design template to save my life. I don't mind paying a commission if the prices are reasonable, but I've got a helmet I want to try building and as far as I can tell nobody has a template available for it already.

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

Two questions:

I'm working on a Witch King of Angmar helmet right now, and thus far I've got the whole thing done up in cardboard. My plan was to get some Bondo and coat the whole thing in thin layers so it becomes a solid, durable piece, but as far as I can tell Bondo isn't flexible at all. The helmet needs to stretch just a bit while it's on my head to get the bottom half to be in the proper position, so would my best bet be to find a mannequin head to put the helmet on while I coat it? Or will it lose shape as soon as I take it back off? Where do I even buy a mannequin head?

Second question: I'm also interested in doing a piece of chest armor like this: http://thumbsnap.com/s/z8um7VqW.jpg

I want it to be con-friendly, which means no actual metal, correct? I'm just not sure how to do all those segments of leather while keeping the whole thing a bit flexible like it is in the photo. Is it just a leather chest-shaped section with a bunch of smaller leather sections riveted to it? Is there a way to replicate that without making a real-deal replica?

Honey Badger
Jan 5, 2012

SunSickOkra posted:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "stretch to get the bottom in position." Like, every time you put the helmet on it needs to stretch? Or just stretch once while you harden the piece to keep the shape? Either way, I don't think Bondo is what you want to depend on to make your cardboard solid. I have a WIP witch king helmet (made out of card stock) and ran into a similar problem with shaping since it's such an unwieldy piece.

To keep the integrity of the shape of the crown I took measurements of my head and made a cross with two pieces of cardboard to stick where my head goes (the kind where you cut slits halfway down the middle and stick them together) and then coated the entire thing with fiberglass resin. Once it soaks in and dries, it becomes fairly rigid (enough to keep the shape). I then went back through and reinforced it with fiberglass cloth, and will eventually cover it with bondo to get the desired finish. It should work just as well on cardboard. The problem with skipping the fiberglass step is that bondo is kind of brittle, so if your helmet bends there is a possibility that it will crack.

Yeah, I mean the two little "wings" at the bottom are too close together when the helmet is not being worn, but sits at the right position on my head. I figured putting it on a mannequin head or something would let me apply stuff to it while keeping the shape I want for the end product. I'll definitely look into fiberglass resin as well. The tutorial I was reading on it just used Bondo, but it's probably worth adding some fiberglass if it reduces the risk of breaking things.