Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

(e): I was right, my original idea was too amibitious.

However, does anyone know where I could source any fabric that looks like this?

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Dec 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So I'm a complete amateur, and was hoping someone might able to help.

How would I go about adding the black areas on the chest of this design?

My main idea was get a red morphsuit as the base, build the helmet and belt, cut the gloves to shape, make boot covers, and a pair of black trunks over the morphsuit. But I've not idea how I'd do the chest design.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Newbie question, and a fairly terrible reference pic.

I'm looking to make this outfit, and I was wondering what fabric would be best for it.

It has to be pretty vivid red, and fairly light so I don't end up heatstroking out under it, especially if I'm going to be wearing a mask. Cheap is obviously a bonus too.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Tshirt material might work for the tunic and pants. Dunno about the sleeves though.

Mask is gonna be a bitch but you can put in some cpu fans to help cool you down a bit.

I'm thinking actually of not making the mask go all the way around, and leaving the back open, since I'll have the hood up. Should make it a little less stifling and less likely to end up giving me heatstroke.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

my cat is norris posted:

Me too!

The only problem with these is that they may not support length as well as PVC, depending on what weight is involved. I noticed that longer weapons made with kitespar/made to be ultralight tended to get whippy.

Depending on the thickness of whatever you're trying to make, you could probably just lash a few of them together, make it a bit more rigid.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

So I'm making a Man-Thing cosplay.

It's actually going to be pretty easy. Get a hunting Ghillie suit, three stuffed fabric "tubes" for the face tendril things.

But I kinda wanna make the eyes light up, and was wondering what'd be the easiest way to do that? They just have to be two red hemispheres I can attach to the suit.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Those look perfect! Might just get two transparent plastic hemispheres and stick one of those in each.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Lord Frisk posted:

You don't need to mount them where your eye holes would be. Just use black mesh as eye holes and mount them somewhere else on your face

Yeah, I was gonna just have black mesh over my eyes, and mount the lights basically on my forehead. After all, Man-Thing is hardly proportioned like a human.

For the record, this is what I'm starting with as a base.

Just black mesh over the obviously camo parts, little LEDs inside semi-transparent hemispheres, and three tubes of fabric stuffed with foam or whatever to bulk them out.

Voila, Man-Thing.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Oct 14, 2015