Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
One cosplay I plan on doing is Taskmaster from Marvel Comics, and one thing I was planning on doing differently than every other one I've seen is to try to make the mask two separate parts, like a regular skull. I have wire to make a guide, but what material would I use for the mask itself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013

fallin1 posted:

My suggestion would be to buy a plastic mask similar to this one and then using paper mache and claycrete and mold it up how you need it to look. Alternatively if you want a better fitting mask you can make a mold of your face using plaster cloth and then proceed as previously suggested.

That would work. I was thinking clay as something that would be more readily available (if it dries slowly), but papermache/plaster cloth would be more exact.

I was planning on having a top half and a separate lower jaw that moves as I talk, and I thought of two problems:
1. How to attach the lower half to the upper half without it falling apart,
2. Keeping the lower half moving with my jaw.

To solve problem 1, I was thinking of using some kind of peg mechanism so I'm not relying entirely on friction.

Then again, I'm more of an engineer than a costumer, so I'm not sure what is .

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013

Mecha Neko posted:

You can buy a skull mask with a moving jaw to paint and modify, just not as cheap as a plain full-face mask.
http://www.amazon.com/Skull-Mask-with-Moving-Jaw/dp/B009NNMOI6/ref=pd_sbs_a_2

Or you might use a half mask for the face bones and make a custom-fit jaw out of a foam or cardboard and build it up with clay or paper mache, then spirit gum the finished jaw to your face and not attach it to the mask at all.

I saw this in the related items, and it's similar to what cuntvalet was mentioning. So I think I have enough to go off of. If and when I make any progress, I'll put it here. Thanks!

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013
I'm looking to make Ral Zarek from Magic The Gathering, and I'm asking:
Is a reliable way I can cut equal sized strips for leather straps for his backpack, and for the gold trim on his tabard? I don't trust myself to cut this by hand

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013

my cat is norris posted:

If you want to preserve the "look" of leather, you can go with one of these faux leather options from JoAnn: https://www.fabric.com/home-decor-fabric-faux-leather-fabric.aspx

I'm not sure how easy it would be to dye this fabric to get the color scheme correct, though. With color options potentially being limited, you may be better working with foam and relying on your paint job to sell the look and feel.

I might try this since its the cheaper option and see how it looks

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013

I'm close to finishing UDON Taskmaster, but I'm finding the pads shift a lot. That could be because I'm using buckles, though
To fix this, I had 2 ideas:
1. Use elastic for all the pads, but this could be hard to adjust, and more
2. Attach the pads to the suit directly, but it would be hard to clean.

Any thoughts? And yes, I do plan on repainting the pads.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mexican Sandwich
Jan 1, 2013

neogeo0823 posted:

Seconding this. Velcro is cheap to order online, you can sew one side to the suit, and hot glue the other to the pad.

Yeah, this is overwhelmingly seeming like the way to go. Thanks everyone!