Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Oh boy oh boy this thread is gonna kick rear end.

I wind up doing a lot of sci if costuming for me and other people, which means military jackets, but I am hilariously allergic to wool. Broadcloth eats. What would you all use? (Wool blends aren't an option.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

Grape Juice Vampire posted:

Can anyone recommend an affordable, quality wig store? I'm in need of a long, dark brown/black wig for NYCC.

Throw either Vogue Wigs or Arda wigs into google, they've got the good stuff.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
MY HUSBAND is making one of the officer's uniforms from the new Star Trek movie. His isn't done yet, but you can see pictures of the movie ones here so you know what the hell I'm talking about : https://www.facebook.com/DavidTCheng/media_set?set=a.10200389233586914.1073741831.1037735166&type=1

I offered to make him the cap, but the link he sent me for a tutorial makes me feel like I have a learning disability when I read it: http://angalmond.blogspot.com/2008/06/how-to-make-officer-peaked-cap.html

I also found a tutorial on a site called Brass Goggles, but the page won't load.

Point being, do you all know how to make the cap? Or, can you point me to any decent tutorials?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Has anyone bought a costume off eBay from those Chinese folks who'll make it to measurements? How was it? I may have found a costume that I could buy for less money/trouble than sewing it, but it feels .... wrong, somehow.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Okay, walk me through glue.

I have a insulation foam guitar I'm building with a couple of layers of paint and (soon to be) a couple of layers of modpodge sealant. I would like to glue metal to the actual guitar to install strap buttons, craft foam on the guitar for a pick guard, and plastic tone knobs on top of the craft foam. What the hell glue do I use?

ThistoThat.com isn't being that helpful. It says to use JB Weld for the metal, which I can find on Amazon, but it says I need LePage's regular epoxy for the plastic, and that stuff is a bitch to find. I have gorilla glue, will that work, or will that expand and be a disaster? Also, what would you use to glue the craft foam?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Have any of you ever sharpie dyed a wig? I'm making Ibuki's wig from Dangan Ronpa (oh no I am one of those nerds I am literally the worst human being) and I was doing her funky colored bangs by hand coloring everything in with sharpie.

I colored in the pink and I'm rinsing it now and holy hell is it a slow process. The excess ink doesn't seem to want to come off unless I rub it for all it's worth anyway, but I'm afraid of the color transferring to my forehead when I wear the wig. Advice? Can I speed this up with wig shampoo, or is that a dumb idea?

Have a picture. This was before I started rinsing. (The hair in the middle is going to be blue, I'm not giving the wig a horn.)

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Okay, so. If I wanted to organize a photoshoot meet up at DragonCon, what do I do? (I'm talking about the big ones, like the Marvel or the Mass Effect ones.)

I know Cosplay.com keeps lists, is that the most official one? How do I get on that list?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I ordered a Le Tigre wig from Arda, but that fucker is long. Any advice on cutting it while preserving the layers?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Hey, since we're talking about it, I was thinking about making a costume with an (obviously fake foam) spear for next year's DragonCon. What will they do about that? Can I have that? I emailed security to ask and they acted like they had no idea what I was even talking about.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

chitoryu12 posted:

Honestly, the orange tip rules are a bit of a dinosaur. Police officers nowadays rarely pause at the sight of an orange tip (and sometimes even brightly painted but otherwise realistic guns) due to constant lessons on criminals painting their guns to look fake or (more commonly) painting airsoft and BB guns to look real as a bluff.
[...] And I'm sad to say, it's worse if you're black.

My husband got stopped by a Georgia police officer and had to prove that his orange tipped, peace bonded air soft gun was fake. During DragonCon. He couldn't have shot anyone with that thing if he wanted.

Also my husband is Hispanic, so probably the cop had the whole "obviously dangerous minority" thing going.

EDIT:

ScottyWired posted:

The shaft of my staff (heh) will be made of two pvc pipes. I've got two corks with those hoop-screw thingos stuck in them, and they'll be connected with some stretchy cord. Pretty simple way to make it collapsible.

Holy poo poo, how does this work? Do you have a diagram? I'm super interested in this idea.

Bean fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Oct 6, 2014

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
My husband I know was considering something that would involve locking joints and wold probably appreciate it.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Here's a question for you. What would you all reccomend to make something look gooey, yet still be flexible?

If the game's any good, me and my husband may go to DragonCon as an inkling from Splatoon. I know I sure as hell could just sew the tentacle hair, but I was wondering if I could make them out of foam and layer something overtop, such as caulk. Alternatively, I may lose my loving mind and try to caulk together a wig.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001

TunaSpleen posted:

I don't think there's ever been a better use for latex than "gooey yet flexible." Although I'd personally describe squid as "rubbery."

What sort of latex would I use and how would I use it?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
We did Captain Toad and Toadette! Go search on Amazon for a miner's hat. There'll come up one that you can take apart and paint. I can dig up pictures and links tomorrow maybe.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Yo so here's what you need for a Captain Toad costume.

Buy this. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005LVPVJI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 Or anything equivalent, Amazon sells a few. You can get that light off there easy, so do it, and paint everything silver.

We discovered that some versions of this hat have a switch on the side so that you can turn it on and off. No wiring/LEDs necessary. The switch kind tends to be the one with the 3 LEDs that takes 3 AA batteries. There's a version that takes 2 AA batteries that will totally work, but it doesn't have the rad switch on the side for lighting up the costume.

JoAnns sells some sort of trimming in Obnoxious Mario Yellow that works nicely as the strap. Here we are, Toad and Toadetting it up:

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Okay, I'm almost at the point in my current costume where I'm going to make craft foam armor, and I would like the voice of experience.

I want to make this poo poo durable. It seems like the best plan of attack is plasti dip primer, paint, then do a clear coat of plastidip. Will that give me plenty of durability or am I talking out my rear end?

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
I love talking cosplay makeup and I am super intensely interested in how you're using that palette.

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
Hi there, long time cosplayer, first time poster.

My husband and I want to do Jessie and James. The first step, of course, was arguing over who got to be James. I lost.

He said he was going to build a Wheezing, so of course I got competitive and said that I would be building a life size Arbok. We're both very sweet people, I'm not even sure where this is coming from.

But Bulbapedia lists Arbok as 11 feet long, so this crap happened:

I have a ton of thick craft wire to hold the snake parts in place. That plus stuffing should make his body pretty functional. But what would you recommend to keep the cobra fin parts (you know, the part with a design) at least stiff and open? I was thinking thin foam, the green sort you find at JoAnns. Any other ideas or suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bean
Sep 9, 2001
If you do use hot glue, use gorilla hot glue. That poo poo is exponentially better than regular hot glue.