Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Rythe posted:

Just found out my office has a C&C laser cutter that can go through 1/2 inch oak. I'm excited for this, I'm so going to abuse access to this new toy for nerdy stuff.

Careful, that things gonna make you sweat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

Hmm... I'm trying to google up what sort of plastic that would be, but all I'm getting are essentially advertisements disguised as articles for various medical companies' heat moldable plastic splints. The stuff I've seen for sale was like $75+ per sheet, and it looks like the dimensions would cover maybe 1-2 parts out of the 4 I would need to make.

Is this the kind of device you really want to cheap out on? It looks like you could break something if it collapses.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

neogeo0823 posted:

Yes, considering the rest of the materials that have gone into this thing currently totals out to less than $100. The digilegs from Area51 sell for something like $1500, with tax and international shipping. If I were spending that much money on this pair of stilts, I'd be absolutely ok with $100 for plastic, but at that price, I'll end up doubling the cost of the things easily.

in complete honesty, I don't really want to work with heat moldable plastic, since I've had poor experiences with it. The previous pair of stilts I made used moldable plastic, and I ended up falling over in them, twice, and each time I shattered the plastic parts. Admittedly, I did not injure myself in those falls though, so there's that. But short of some bespoke(and expensive) custom solution, I'm kind of out of ideas that could possibly be cheap. I was hoping that you guys would have some ideas for some sort of either soft and flexible, or rigid and sturdy, way to attach the stilts to my legs that would survive a fall over.

You’re going to injure yourself