Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Proving that I have more money than sense, I now have the most accurate Colonial Marines armor you can get without owning an original set. I'm 3d printing a shoulder lamp right now, and modifying / fixing / upgrading the resin pulse rifle I bought waaaaaaay back when no companies were making replicas. I can post pics of all that jazz and I can also answer questions about the armor. Are people interested?

Do you recognize this man?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Okay then!

Im at a convention this weekend, so haven’t had much time but here are a couple things.

Shoulder lamp:

The guy that works with Terry to take orders, ship, etc. is Rob from Chefs Creations. (https://chefscreations.co.uk). I put in for a shoulder lamp kit but they are backlogged a few months and I wanted to get this whole thing together enough to wear at Pax East, so I went looking for 3d version I could print myself and found a good one on Cults.

There are nearly no instructions, but the parts look well done and accurate.

Pulse Rifle:

Way back at the end of the Cretaceous, I bought the resin pulse rifle from Nathan McKenna who at the time built it with a working ammo counter and had it online. I’ll have to see if I can necro that website, but regardless I pulled it out and found that it needed repair. Parts were starting to rattle around since the almost 30 year old (jeezus …:corsair:) glue was starting to give. I’ll dig up the old pics of it whole, but here are the guts.

The “thomson” parts were never well attached to the frame in the first place. I’m trying to figure out a way to do that without screwing up the electronics or changing the outside. I’m leaning toward just pulling the electronics out and replacing them with an Arduino or something. Haven’t decided yet. I’m not sure if this thing has any kind of provenance - I’ll have to do some digging. Regardless, the barrel is janky in several chunks of different sizes that are barely attached to the rear parts, so I ordered an appropriately sized steel tube to replace it. Will also give it more heft.

Pics:

Oh, I also started 3d printing a new one. This one I WILL put an arduino soundboard in.

Doctor Zero fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Feb 11, 2024

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

but it's still good.

Been working on the back lamp lately and also fell totally down the rabbit hole with the idea of upgrading the pulse rifle's electronics.

Here's better pics of the armor at least. I got these BDUs that I know aren't really authentic, but they have muted colors without dark brown blotches.

I'm not sure how to mount the back lamp since the side brace thing doesn't line up with the side of the unit like I would expect. Probably have to email them and ask how it's supposed to work. I looked everywhere online and while I can see some of the original armor had the same bits, I can't find good pics showing exactly how the lamp is mounted.

For gently caress's sake someone make me stop trying to build new pulse rifles. :argh: