Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

I didn't realize we actually had a cosplay DIY thread, this is great. So I have a couple of questions maybe someone could help me out with!

1) I have a cheap plastic LED sword with a blade that is translucent blue. I would prefer the blade plastic to be purple. Is there any sort of dye or spray that will work on translucent plastic? I tried RIT dye to no avail; tried Sharpies and it looks far too streaky with the LEDs lit.

Edit: I bought some pink film for tinting fog lights on cars; hopefully that will work out!

Pic:

2) Anyone have a recommendation of a place (either online or chain store) to buy LEDs?

Reo fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Aug 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reo
Apr 11, 2003

That'll do, Carlos.
That'll do.

So! I was asking about tinting the blue plastic sword I had before, since dye didn't work. I ended up ordering some pink headlight tinting film from eBay, and I have to say that it worked really well (seen below). I just have the tiniest raw edge and maybe two tiny bubbles under the plastic, and it only took about three attempts for me to learn the technique.

Random question: In all photos with the LEDs lit, it still looks bright blue, even though the sword is now purple and the LEDs themselves are pink. What's up with that?

That said, here's my final progress shots before Dragon Con!

Rex "Power" Colt, from Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon & LED accessories. (I will also have a Dr. Darling with me)

Jimmy Lee from Double Dragon Neon (will have Billy & Marian)