Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Holy poo poo, this is rad.

You would need a microphone or some other input somewhere, but it'd be cool if you could make the LEDs bounce to the ambient sound like an audio level meter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Could someone recommend me a good metallic gold spray paint and primer? :)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Funhilde posted:

What are you going to be painting?

A fiberglass helmet. From what I've read Rustoleum seems to be the best bet.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Just watched these videos of Adam Savage and the gy from punished props making Nazgul gauntlets with $35* of materials and tools.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F48rk7h-GDo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ7nE5cKeN0

I really love watching Adam Savage's good-natured enthusiastic nerdery.

*Those were their estimates.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Rythe posted:

Working on a Ghostbusters costume for the upcoming Raleigh Supercon and I started working on a Ghost Trap.
Nice, looks really good. I've been slowly assembling a Ghostbusters costume over the past few years. Since I missed out on Mattel's trap a few years ago and the ebay prices are kinda nuts I've been thinking about building one of my own. I went to https://gbfans.com to look at other gear after seeing your pics and it looks like Spirit Halloween Store is making some more stuff that'll be out in a couple of months. I just saw this video of two guys who got their hands on some and they look pretty good. I pre-ordered the trap and PKE meter. I also placed an order for a 1:1 proton pack kit from Anovos a year and a half ago that still hasn't come. I'm bummed about the wait, but they say it'll finally be shipping soon and I paid $350 less than the price they are listing it at now.

I'm already thing of ways to mod the trap to have a pumping vape kit in it to make it smoke. I'd also like to figure out a way to make my jump suit slime covered. I was thinking mixing a silicon glue with green and glow-in-the-dark pigments and globbing it on, that way I wouldn't make a huge mess whenever I wanted to use it. If anybody has suggestions on those I'd love to hear it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Tamir Lenk posted:

I used a vape rig for the smoke effects in my Jack of Hearts bracers.

This is spot on for the look I want. How did you manage that? I don't mean to demand a for a full step-by-step accounting from you, but if you've got links to any of the stuff you used when making those I'd really appreciate them. You know, videos, instructions, shopping lists, whatever.

I basically just want the trap to spew smoke while I rush through a crowd yelling ghost techno-babble... pretty much this part of the movie...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWb1z6ZwUoY&t=124s

Rythe posted:

This is the rest of my costume for now as I was trying for a best of both worlds. Screen accurate meets cartoon fun.

That Ghostbuster Extreme gear is neat.

Patattack posted:

This guy has a series of videos about turning a vape mechanism into a mini smoke machine for cosplay purposes...haven't tried it myself, but his techniques seem relatively straightforward?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6vnBdmssuEY

Also, I bet you could mix up some clear/tinted silicone--maybe diluted with some paint thinner--that would cure to look a lot like wet slime if you dumped it onto an outfit.

Thanks for the link. I'll check that out.
I thought silicon glue or caulk would be too thick, but I didn't think to just use paint thinner. I only took chem 101 in college and that was years ago. I'll give it a shot and report back.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Tamir Lenk posted:

That took a lot more effort than you'd expect. Managing the voltage for the fans and the vape rig with remote switching was . . . complicated.

PM me with the basics of what you want to do (control locations, other related effects like lighting) and the space you have for installation, and I'll see what I can do.

Cool, thanks. Any help would be rad.

I won't have my hands on the trap for a few more weeks, but I'll bet the space inside will be pretty limited, but lighting and sound are already integrated. I'm not super interested in those effects anyway, so I could gut them if I needed more room. I don't really need an external switch either, I could just turn on the smoke-maker-thingy and pop it in. I'd be worried about the vape pens burning out their heating coils if they are constantly running though, maybe something that makes them run for 5 seconds, then off for 10 would be necessary. I don't know poo poo about vaping.

deoju fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Jul 29, 2018

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
This isn't really cosplay, its kinda cosplay adjacent.

I love Daft Punk. So when I saw these two on ali express, I had to buy them.

But there were some problems...

The paint job was poo poo.

And they had these logo on the back.

I thought I could improve it. So I sanded...

And drilled some holes... (I cut the space between the holes too, I just didn't take any pictures.)

And primed.

And repainted.

And got rid of the logo, and put the wires in.

The silver helmet had a weird pattern light-up screen that was more trouble than it was worth, and I didn't like the look, so I replaced that. There was also a pattern around the ears that no Daft Punk helmet ever had, so I took care of that with baby powder and super glue.

The pvc was warped, and the cheeks were lopsided. So I used a heat gun to bend it back.

Primed. I should have put down black before the silver, apparently that makes it pop better.

And here are the finished products. They aren't perfect, but they look good on my bookshelf.

deoju fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Aug 1, 2018

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks. :)

Baby powder and super glue.

Mixed together you get a paste that you can use to fill gaps, holes, crevices. and it's super easy to sand.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
x-posting from the Ghostbusters thread...

I've wanted to open a box like this for most of my life and now it is finally here. :shobon: Gonna be lots of fun putting it together.

Here's a link if you are interested. :shepspends:

deoju fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 21, 2018

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
lol, yeah. I was so excited to get it I forgot to mention the wait.

I ordered on February, 7th.

...of 2017.

I'd check their page for shipping estimates every once and while, they blew at least 3 deadlines that they posted. The frustrating part was being on their mailing list and getting emails every week about the exciting new licenses they got and the new products that were in stock and ready to ship, just knowing that my proton pack was getting pushed to the back burner over and over. On the plus side, when I ordered it was $350 cheaper than the price now, so they must have really underestimated the materials/labor that went into it.

Spirit Halloween has made made some much cheaper GB stuff, but it shows in the quality.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Anybody know what this type of knob is called? Searching for "teardrop" isn't working...

Edit: The one on the face with the red tubes, if that wasn't clear.

Edit 2: Found it after more googling. The term is "pointer knob."

deoju fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Sep 18, 2019

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Kinda, I've been retooling one from Spirit Halloween.
Repainting, improving greeblies, hiding seems, adding real screws, etc.
I watched a video from Punished Props and I thought I'd take a crack myself.

Here's where I am so far...

I hope to add smoke and rewire the lighting if I can teach myself how. My goal is to be able to rush through a crowd with a smoking trap yelling ecto-babble like in the montage scenes.

I still can't find the right knob though.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That looks good. I'm not so fanatical that it needs to be perfect. I found the right knob for the other side but since it's machined aluminum it's 15 bucks. I'm okay with something close for that price.

I've looked at a lot of screenshots lately, those tubes were silver in Ghostbusters 2, so if you don't have red paint laying around that'd work too.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I started watching the Mandalorian. In episode 5 there's a new bounty hunter character. Picture in spoilers....

I thought those gloves looked familiar. They're motorcycle gloves, the ones I use. 'Icon' brand, 'Pursuit' model. Made me chuckle.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
I've been chipping away at my Ghostbusters proton pack for a while now, and I'm in the home stretch. But I could use some help with the sound effects. The lights and sound kit I bought didn't come with a speaker, and the vendor isn't clear enough for my dumb-rear end under his recommendations. Does this speaker meet the specs he describes? At this point I think it's probably best for me to start with one speaker, less for me to gently caress up. If it's not loud enough I can add another later.

Once I find the right speaker I don't really know how to wire it. Here's a picture of the circuit board.

Do I just screw down the right type of wires in the slots labeled 'speaker' and then do the same thing on the speaker itself? If It's that simple I think I can handle it.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Thanks for the input. I'm more confident now.

I'll be sure to do a big effort post when I'm all finished.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
It's not exactly cosplay, but Pendleton sells the Dude's sweater from the Big Lebowski. They made the original in the seventies, and reverse engineered their own sweater to replicate it. It's kind of expensive, but I had to have one. It's quite warm, so much so that I have no idea how Bridges could wear it while filming in Southern California.

https://www.pendleton-usa.com/the-orginal-westerley-cardigan.html

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That is cool, I espicially like the the color and speed change feature. I'm a huge ghostbusters nerd and it bums me out how little love the 2016 film gets. I'd like to make my own proton pack, but it's hard to find good info on the props even though the production design was outstanding.

This company started making accurate jumpsuits recently, but :homebrew:
https://www.magnoliclothiers.com/paranormal-boilersuit-other-garments-p-1069.html

deoju fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Jul 19, 2022

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Does anybody recognize this ring? I ordered a ring from the Dark Souls from AliExpress and they sent me this one by mistake. I thought maybe you costume goons might know what it is really from.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost

Thanks for the info! :)

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That owns.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
That's Terry English. The guy who did the original armor.

https://youtu.be/vib1-V8ArzM?si=dvRLgDQA35HiKiYU

Also yes I'm interested.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
Anybody got tips for aging/distressing boots?
These would go perfectly with my favorite outfit, but they are too fresh.

Also tips on breaking them in would be rad too. Those spots marked with blue tape are where they hurt.

Doctor Zero posted:

Pulse Rifle:

Rad AF, btw

deoju fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Feb 21, 2024