Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

No way, I love cosplay and my season ramps up hardcore in the summer! This is my 3rd year taking on a way overly ambitious project, I can't wait. My group, besides me as Hilde, is going to be Nightmare, Yoshimitsu, Astaroth, Ashlotte, and a possible Raphael so at least I'll have friends in suffering.

You bitch. Where is this Soul Calibur group going to be/Which version of SC? (Edit: just saw it's SC IV.)

I have never posted about this nerdy loving hobby of mine on SA before, christ, but I'll be making SC V's Yoshimitsu's 1P and 2P for me and my brother for Otakon this summer, even though I'm loving insane and am massively overreaching once AGAIN. I can't help it, I fell in love with the skull head/buddha hat and kabuki masks :(

Here are some pictures for reference so you can see how stupid I am:

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Mar 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

Ha, we're doing the SCIV 2P Yoshimitsu so we could theoretically do a pretty spectacular photoshoot!

We're going to be debuting the group at GenCon in Indianapolis, plus we usually take our yearly outfits to Anime Central. Massively overreaching is the only way to go about it, IMO! And we're nearly all SCIV, our only SCV guy is going to be big green Astaroth, which should be interesting.

Check out the art I've done so far for Yoshimitsu's banner, skirt, and belt:

My work just got a vinyl cutter so I should be able to cut all of it out automatically from metallic heat press foil. :woop: We're thinking of using a white-on-white asian-style brocade for most of the costume and probably something similar in red for the back banner so it'll have a bit more texture and depth to it.

drat, Indianapolis is pretty far :( Those banners are gorgeous. Pretty sure I'm just going to stretch canvas on a rack/wall and project the designs onto the fabric, then paint it. I have no access to a vinyl cutter and other amazing things I am very jealous about.

Soul Calibur has amazing costumes, but none of the female costumes ever appealed to me for whatever reason. Hopefully under all of the armor and masks no one will be able to tell I'm a girl. Plus Yoshi is apparently only 5'6" so it's actually in character to be really short, dammit.

I'm impressed that one of your group is going as Ashlotte though. That costume looks amazing but just so, so painful to make and wear.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Hahaha seriously you know you're a cosplayer when the Joann Fabrics app is the most used app on your phone. Why the gently caress hasn't Michael's made one yet?

Edit: VV holy poo poo seriously??

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Mar 23, 2012

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Mobius 1 posted:

Awesome, I've been hoping for a thread like this for a while now. I have a couple of things I'm working on for fanime and SDCC, but right now I'm a bit stumped on how exactly to make part of my costume.

I'm making the red cloaked figure from Journey:

Cloak is pretty much done except the details on the hem, but I'm not quite sure on how to make the mask. I thought about using one of those cheap white masks you see at Michael's and covering it in fabric, but the face on the character is featureless. I also want to make the eyes light up but I need to read up on how to rig LED's.

Heyyy there, light-up-eyes-and-featureless-face-buddy. Here is me doing something pretty similar as Taokaka from BlazBlue:

(The eyes were LEDs and did light up, but a combo of bright light and malfunctioning electronics on the day of the con makes them look lovely in that pic :( )

First off, are you going to put your face where the mask is? To me it looks like it's taller than a person would be, so the natural point for a person's head would be below that.

If you're making it so you have to be able to see out of the mask, you can always do what I did for Taokaka: Make a frame out of a wire spaghetti strainer and pull black fabric taut over it. I used something stretchy that I made sure I could see through when it was stretched. I could see out of the mask okay. The eyes were a little past where my eyes actually were, and LEDs are not that bright so that wasn't a problem.

However, like I said up there, the wiring on my lights decided to go nuts the day of, so I am remaking the mask using EL flat panels. EL panels look like pieces of paper but they light up uniformly when you connect them to an inverter. Luckily, due to the new TRON movie and resulting cosplay demand, there are starting to be a lot of online vendors of EL wire/panels. I just bought my new eyes from here: http://thatscoolwire.com/

They say you can cut the panels into various shapes. I would contact the guys who run the site about how to cut them, they get back to you super fast and are really helpful.

If the mask does not have to be something you can see through, you are way luckier than me, and you can string up all your wiring right on the back of the mask. If you want the mask to be flat, I would make it out of craft foam, with a .5" or so upholstery foam behind it for a little bit of dimension, then seal it and paint it black or cover it with fabric. Those craft masks you get at Michaels are the correct shape for it, so you could also go that route, cut off the nose, and then fill in the indentations with model magic etc. until it's a uniform shape.

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Mar 24, 2012

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

It was totally awesome. :D I was probably 14-15, and I went as Selphie from Final Fantasy VIII.

Holy poo poo seriously, are you me? :psyduck: Or do great minds just think alike?

I was 14 at my first con and went as (you guessed it) Selphie. My friend's mom sewed the dress for me.

My mom then bought me a sewing machine and I pretty much taught myself to sew. Made a really bad costume the first time I tried, kept trying, eventually got good at it.

Cosplay is so much easier nowadays than it used to be, as there are literally thousands of tutorials online for all kinds of characters, techniques, and props. Back in the early 2000s when I first got started I spent a lot of time figuring poo poo out on my own through trial and error. Now, when I'm attempting a new technique, the first place I go is google to see if someone has come up for a tutorial for it already.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I went to 3 cons last year. It's usually 2. I'm trying to make it more this year.

Last year I decided to make five costumes. Three for me and two for my brother. I have made 2 already this year, but they were super easy. I have plans to make.... uh, five more. gently caress.

In other news, today I learned that Model Magic doesn't stick to plastic :( I was hoping I would have some kind of Yoshimitsu mask progress shots to post, but now I have to wait to get Paperclay/Paper Mache at Michael's and try this again.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

paisleyfox posted:

Have you tried something like apoxie sculpt?

I have never heard of this stuff before. It seems amazing, though. Do you end up using a lot in one project or does a little go a long way? It's kind of expensive so if I'm going to order some and try it I probably don't want to order a ton if I'm not going to need it.

I looked at some examples of poo poo people have made with it though and daaaaamn, I want to try it.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Mobius 1 posted:

THIZZFACE KILLA- Your Taokaka costume is awesome! Thanks for the ideas, I have been trying to figure out whether I wanted to have the eyes light up or not, but since I only need small pieces, the EL wire might be the way to go.

Grape Juice Vampire- Thanks for the suggestion! Found one on ebay for about $30.

Red Robin Hood- I know it took forever to get progress pictures and honestly they're not really interesting, but here they are. I haven't added the details to the cloak, I'm still deciding on whether or not I want to stencil on the darker triangles or if I want to find a darker red fabric and sew them on. I'm working on how to put the stencil on for the gold details. The hood part is giving me trouble right now as I can't seem to get the double points in the hood like I want so its back to making my own pattern for it.

MajorGravy- How did you make the helmet for your costume? It looks really nice

Have you thought about doing applique for the details on your coat? I know it's time consuming, but it's really easy to learn and looks so good when it's finished. If you need a tutorial I can link you to the one I use.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I would make that shoulder pad out of upholstery foam, personally, and cover it with shiny
sequin fabric.

edit: And for anything on stage under hot lights you need the good theater makeup.

Our biggest con here (Otakon) is doing a Studio Ghibli movie marathon at one of the Smithsonians today for the cherry blossom festival, and they asked for volunteers to cosplay characters from the movies to interact with the people coming in :3: I'll be going as Kiki from Kiki's Delivery Service and my brother will be a No-Face from Spirited Away. Rushed the poo poo out of these costumes because I have been out of the country, so they are a tiny bit bootleg, but hopefully we'll get some pictures!

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I just don't see the point of spending a lot of money trying to track down sports padding in the right shape when you can make them yourself for >$5...

Anyway, have a lovely picture of my brother and I from today at the Ghibli cosplay event! We had a great time scaring/aweing kids :3:

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Is that the ren fair in Maryland? It looks insanely familiar.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Uggggggh I want that SO BAD. Your wife is now morally obligated to make a Haruhara Haruko costume on my behalf :mad:

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Mucktron posted:

My other big project for this year is Puella Magika Madoka.

My friend is doing Mami, and I'll be doing Homura. Yesterday I finished the blouse and skirt part of the costume.

(that's just bias tape for the ribbon, use your imagination or something until I get a real ribbon :ssh:)

Yes! This is my favorite new anime series in, like, a decade, and I would love to cosplay from it but 1. I don't have any female friends into cosplay and 2. it's insanely overdone right now to the point where there are like, 200 Madoka Magika cosplayers at every con I go to.

Are you going to make the 8 million guns?

Also have a picture of my favorite (and most disturbing) PMMM cosplay from this year's Katsucon:

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Mucktron posted:

Well hey, it's just Homura and Mami right now, so if you have any plans to go to Anime Expo, PM me, we totally could use another magical girl in our group.

Aw I wish :( I live on the East Coast, or I would totally come be Kyouko, haha.

I took some progress shots of the masks for Yoshimitsus 1 and 2 on my cell phone:

1P half masks:

I made the one on the right first and am currently modeling the left one after it.

The missing beard and mustache hair really makes the difference on this one :(

And bonus shot of unfinished Rachel Alucard that I have shelved for the time being (because gently caress wearing winter clothing in July)!

I bought a couple of Immortals masks (from the movie 300) to use as the base for Yoshi's masks, since they have a kabuki-esque proportion to them, and they worked wonders. Thank you x 1000 to whoever recommended Apoxie Sculpt to me, it's amazing! I'm going to use it on every project from now on.

I can't wait to finish these masks and start painting them...

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Hell yeah, Otakon :smug: Are you going this year?

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Well if you decide to go (which you should because I'm sure it will be awesome) and want to have a super mini goonmeet of 2, I'm always down to meet new people. This will be my 10th year going to Otakon!

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Osmethae posted:

Just proof that practice makes perfect.

Hey, can you go into any detail about how you make your own visors? My brother's dream project is Zero from Code Geass, and the visor on his cray-cray helmet is so bizarre that we'll probably have to make it custom:

Also I would love to make The Fury from Metal Gear Solid 3 in my lifetime, and that would require another insano helmet:

So any tips on making visors would be really appreciated!

In Yoshimitsu news, I have made pants and started on the shirt-thing. I used green shantung. I just hope it doesn't look too shiny in pictures. They are super comfortable, like shiny pajama pants. I'm going to paint the gold details on because they honestly look painted in the ref pics, plus dry-brushing with Jacquard usually gets pretty good results compared with the lovely stuff they sell at Joann's.

McPantserton, I definitely think you can find appropriate shapes in Home Depot or Lowes for those cuffs, especially the top one. Worst comes to worst, I'm sure you can find wood already cone-shaped online somewhere from a hobby store for the bottom part.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

MajorGravy posted:

From what I've seen from the only Fury cosplay out there, it's just a 14" acrylic light globe. Those should be easy to source from shops that stock light fixtures, but if you need to order it online, this is where I got mine from for my Deadmau5 helmet!

http://www.1000bulbs.com/category/clear-globe-lamp-covers-with-neck/

For that Zero visor, I recommend making a buck to vacuumform from. I have a friend who bought one of these, and it's just a sheet of 2-3mm clear acrylic sheeting vacuumformed into the shape. You can then tint it with VHT Niteshades, one of those spray-on tints for cars.

Thank you!! This is all great information. By God I will make these helmets!

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

Soul Calibur awesomeness

You have no idea how excited I am to see your Soul Calibur updates, especially Yoshimitsu stuff! Those banners came out beautifully!

Red Robin Hood posted:

If you can make them for relatively cheap I would be interested in buying one. loving Code Geass..

Yeah if I go to all the trouble of setting up a vaccuforming station in my house and it doesn't come out looking like poo poo, it doesn't seem like too much more effort to make a few masks and sell the extras. I'll keep you updated.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I once had only four hours to make Rikku from FFX and it was all hot glue, all the way. No one could tell.

Haha, I literally have nightmares about things like this happening to me.

I think I'm going to try using fiberglass for the first time this weekend :eek: I'm kind of terrified. Any tips for someone who has never used that poo poo ever?

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
That's beautiful! How did you make the curly parts? I have to make about 1000 of those for Yoshi's armor, and I was planning on using foam and a ton of apoxie sculpt, but I'm curious to know if there are faster ways.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Apoxie sculpt is so so great. I need to order more because I fully plan to use it on EVERYTHING.

Fiberglass? Not so great. I hate this poo poo, but it is mega strong, so I guess I'm going to keep using it. Everything I made this weekend still looks intensely ugly, but hopefully I'll have some progress pics soon!

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I finally ran out of apoxie sculpt and need to wait for more to arrive before I can finish my masks :qq:

For the record, 1 pound of apoxie sculpt lasted me through building up 3 masks and covering one big-rear end horn, so it really does go a long way. I intend to finish most of the decorative pieces on my armor with apoxie sculpt because I hate Bondo. I seriously don't know how y'all work with it, I haaaate it. I ended up going over dents in my fiberglassed pieces with spackle because I could not handle another round with the Bondo. It dries in loving like 30 seconds!! Seriously, I don't know how you deal with it :psyduck:

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

McPantserton posted:

I'm so jazzed, you guys, I ordered a vacuum forming box and frame this weekend! It's going to save me so much effort. I spent like 6-6.5 hours sculpting the wolf shoulder armor for my costume and it's not even done yet. I am so, so glad that I don't have to manually sculpt 2 of them, oh my god.

I'm looking at that site you got the box from that you posted in the other thread. What size did you get? I spent 10 daaaaays on 2 pieces of armor and I have so much left to do it isn't even funny. I just got a new job that pays better so I might buy one of these as a gift to myself...

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I'm going to pee my pants when you post the completed Soul Edge.

My goal this week is to (hopefully) finish everything on the half-masks up until the painting step. I would say I'm going to finish the 2P mask too but I know it won't happen :(

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Welp, I have terrible progress shots to post! Sorry these are all from my phone, they are really bad.

2P mask which I finally started painting tonight:

1P split masks. They look horrible because I sprayed primer on them, then sanded them, then filled in problem spots with more apoxie sculpt, and then attached the horns.

One horn weighs more than the other :( They are a lot more even than this picture makes them look, I promise. I just threw them on the bed really fast to take a pic.

I'm also working on the clothes but those are boring so I didn't bother taking pictures.

E: VVV Sorry? They look splotchy as heck so I was explaining why. And I meant the photos are terrible not the pieces themselves, obvi I wouldn't post them if I thought they looked like poo poo :confused:

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jun 8, 2012

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I painted Yoshi's masks over the weekend! Just have to spray a topcoat on and the split masks are finished. The 2p mask still needs some work -- hopefully I can put the moustache and beard in this week because I really want to see it in all its insane glory.

As for the eyes - I realized belatedly that his eyes are lit up :( So now my plan of action is make the eyes out of resin and install LEDs. My actual vision in the mask is located on either side of the nose, so I think if I put some opaque fabric there the same color as the eyes I'll be able to see somewhat without it being noticeable outside.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Oh my god. I really want a vaccuum table now.

What did you make the wolf form out of?

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I am nowhere near finished on this banner, but here is what is going on so far. Still needs shading and highlights, then I have to paint the other side :( And there's another one to do after this! God why did I do this to myself :psyduck:

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Haha holy crap that is great.

Edit: Also thanks for the words of encouragement you guys :shobon: All this effort will somehow be worth it in the end!

McPantserton, I am always so excited to see you post with Soul Calibur costume updates. Yoshi's skirt thing looks fantastic. I am SO pumped to see your finished costumes!!

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jul 7, 2012

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Welp, this finally happened:

Only three more to go! :shepicide:

Edit: is imgur down again or something? Picture no longer exists :(

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jul 11, 2012

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

Pagan posted:

Has anyone here built armor, or used pepokura files to build armor using fiberglass?

I just made armor using fiberglass. I have used pepakura for something else that didn't end with fiberglass on it. What do you need to know?

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
I used this as a fiberglass tutorial:

http://www.paper-wings.org/tutorials/armor/fiberglass.html

And watching a lot of videos on youtube of people making poo poo with fiberglass.

It's really easy, just kind of hazardous and disgusting. Use more hardener than you think you need, I hosed up my first project by not using enough hardener and the resin never dried. I now use a couple tablespoon's worth of resin and 13 or so drops of hardener in one batch. You'll get the hang of it after a while.

Sanding fiberglass is horrible and takes forever, and personally, I despise Bondo with all my might, but it's just impossible to get fiberglass smooth when it's so lumpy and sticky to apply. Bondo will make your poo poo a lot heavier but it sands well, and that's what it's for. I did a layer of bondo and then filled in the tiny dents and poo poo with spackle, because I can touch it with my fingers and the working time is so much longer.

Anything you're particularly worried about?

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
the first side of the second banner is mostly finished:

We are officially in the "gently caress it" stage of construction, so the lotus flower is orangey-pink instead of pinky-red. Not enough time to go hunt down the right color, and besides, I like the shiny paint I used instead :shobon:

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
One week to go, and I am not nearly as finished on my costumes as I wanted to be :(

I did manage to 95% finish the 2P mask though:

I think he came out pretty scary/awesome.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
We finished both Yoshimitsus this weekend, juuuust in time for Otakon! Here is a bathroom myspace angle shot of Yoshi to celebrate.

Hopefully after this weekend, I will have real, honest to god pictures of these two to post.

edit: Woah, looks like the last 2 pages have started out with Yoshimitsu posts :shobon:

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face

HarkToTheLoons posted:

Holy poo poo. :stare:

Please tell me you'll be wearing that on Saturday. I'll be sure to come up and say hi if I see you!

Yes we will be :) Come say hi, we will probably be sequestered by the water fountains all morning.

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
McPantserton, those look sooo good. Can't wait to see your SC cosplay.

SPEAKING OF SC COSPLAY, here are some pics from a photoshoot we did last weekend, with our Yoshimitsus!!:

SO GLAD these pictures came out well, because wearing that guy was hell and I almost passed out. After about an hour I was done, and nothing in the world could get me to put that helmet back on. Sorry Yoshi :(

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Thanks guys :shobon: Not gonna lie, I was worried about disappointing this thread when I was working on the costumes, because the level of talent everyone has is so high. It definitely motivated me to do my absolute best.

I cannot wait to see your Yoshimitsu!

edit: I feel like I need to add, the reason there is so much visible hot glue is because we had a day-of-con crisis where the glue that was already on started to melt in my car on the way there :( We had to emergency hot glue the masks back together in the hotel room...

THIZZFACE KILLA fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Aug 4, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THIZZFACE KILLA
Oct 19, 2004

nigga dis my twizz face
Both are made out of foam/posterboard. The faux wood finish on the red Yoshimitsu is this faux wood grain vinyl sticker paper that we found in Home Depot called 'shelf liner' or similar. I think the kind that people use to make faux wood grain car interiors would have been a better choice, but we ran out of time to order any.

The vinyl we did use did not stick well and had to be glued on, so it's a pain in the rear end. I heard the car-interior kind sticks better and can be heated to curve around corners without wrinkles, so if you have the time to order some and give it a try, I would go for that.