Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I didn't know we had a thread for this! I'm working on Hilde von Krone from Soul Calibur IV for GenCon. So far I have successfully screen printed the banner, made the sword blade base, and cut out the wood spear tips.

Very proud of the banner, it took me a verrrrry long time to print both sides. It's about 26 inches long and had to be printed in 2 pieces, which sucked.

The sword doesn't look like much yet but I'm hoping to get the hilt started this weekend once I'm done with my term papers. It's made of masonite and bondo with a threaded steel rod core.

I'm still trying to figure out how to tackle the armor. It seems like vacuum forming is the best way to go about it, but I'm having trouble finding somewhere that will do small orders in my area (Madison, WI.) Any ideas?

Your helmet looks great, incidentally. How did you make it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Red Robin Hood posted:

I had given up hope on this thread!

What you've got done so far is looking really great! Vacuum forming might sound like a good idea but unless you're willing to make/pay for molds I'm not sure you're going to be able to go that direction. You might look into other methods that you can do yourself.

No way, I love cosplay and my season ramps up hardcore in the summer! This is my 3rd year taking on a way overly ambitious project, I can't wait. My group, besides me as Hilde, is going to be Nightmare, Yoshimitsu, Astaroth, Ashlotte, and a possible Raphael so at least I'll have friends in suffering.

I'm planning on making forms of my torso, arms, and legs with water-activated packing tape and spray foam to make molds already since building fitted armor onto yourself is really hard (as I learned last year with my Warhammer 40k armor). It seems like using sheet plastic would be more durable and better-looking than my last year's method (wonderflex + bondo :gonk: ) and I'm willing to pay for the actual forming, or else I'll buy an oven vacuum table I guess. Not sure yet.

I kicked out a (highly approximate) $500 on my costume last year (happier not knowing) and I've saved up all year for this armor suit so I'll do what it takes! My group very fortunately tied for best in show at GenCon last year so we have to compete as pros this year and I really want to have a better outfit than I did for that. Also pretty excited, we finally have a real photoshoot scheduled for this Saturday for our 40k costumes.

So I've never worked with a kit, how does it work? Like what do you get and what assembly do you do? It looks freaking awesome and totally worth the money to me, I just have no visualization of what you receive!

Veila, that costume looks awesome! Your gloves particularly look freaking badass. I also really like the color scheme, I feel like I've ended up in red/black/gold on accident for a few years, boring. Those shoulder pads are going to be epic. Have you looked at Kamui Cosplay? It seems like Svetlana uses a lot of the same techniques that you've used here.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Red Robin Hood posted:

Well you definitely have a lot more skill than I do. Seriously. Working from a kit is so much easier! This stuff is Vacuum Formed from molds that are re-casts of re-casts of the original molds e: sorry, not from original MOLDS... original armor from Star Wars A New Hope. It is in the upper-tier of film-accuracy (AKA it looks like poo poo, uneven, wonky in places). Here are some photos of what I received:
Do you have pictures of your 40k costume? What did you do? Sisters?

That's crazy. I heard there was a ton of lawsuits surrounding the storm trooper armor, it's really awesome that you can get pulls of the original armor!

Here are my 2 previous big projects:
2010 was Big Daddy from Bioshock, which took 2nd in the games category at GenCon

I co-built it with my friend (you can see him waving my splicer hooks around in the second picture up there). Our other friend did her own little sister costume and won a hardcore sewing machine for it!

2011, my 40k group!

I'm the classic white-haired Sister, the Terminator and Sister Repentia are the same 2 people from above there, and the Inquisitor is my boyfriend. :shobon: I screen printed our battle standard for the group. I'm really excited to get actual high-quality pictures of the group since obviously the ones we have are pretty much just in the hotel!

I'm more than happy to explain any aspect of any of these builds. I saw/helped my friends build their costumes too so I at least know how it was all done and whether or not it was a good way to go about it.

Mizufusion, you should totally do the archbishop! The sprites are by far my favorite of the 3rd tier classes. I used to play a lot of RO, I did a high priestess costume roughly 100000 years ago (although your dress is way more detailed than mine). I totally just brought a gigantic bible from Goodwill to carry around. I also liked the fact that I could pretty easily make a bunch of different head accessories to swap, I did craft foam angel and demon wing bands, heart pin, and a few other quick ones.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Mar 22, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

You bitch. Where is this Soul Calibur group going to be/Which version of SC? (Edit: just saw it's SC IV.)

I have never posted about this nerdy loving hobby of mine on SA before, christ, but I'll be making SC V's Yoshimitsu's 1P and 2P for me and my brother for Otakon this summer, even though I'm loving insane and am massively overreaching once AGAIN. I can't help it, I fell in love with the skull head/buddha hat and kabuki masks :(

Ha, we're doing the SCIV 2P Yoshimitsu so we could theoretically do a pretty spectacular photoshoot!

We're going to be debuting the group at GenCon in Indianapolis, plus we usually take our yearly outfits to Anime Central. Massively overreaching is the only way to go about it, IMO! And we're nearly all SCIV, our only SCV guy is going to be big green Astaroth, which should be interesting.

Check out the art I've done so far for Yoshimitsu's banner, skirt, and belt:

My work just got a vinyl cutter so I should be able to cut all of it out automatically from metallic heat press foil. :woop: We're thinking of using a white-on-white asian-style brocade for most of the costume and probably something similar in red for the back banner so it'll have a bit more texture and depth to it.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

drat, Indianapolis is pretty far :( Those banners are gorgeous. Pretty sure I'm just going to stretch canvas on a rack/wall and project the designs onto the fabric, then paint it. I have no access to a vinyl cutter and other amazing things I am very jealous about.

Soul Calibur has amazing costumes, but none of the female costumes ever appealed to me for whatever reason. Hopefully under all of the armor and masks no one will be able to tell I'm a girl. Plus Yoshi is apparently only 5'6" so it's actually in character to be really short, dammit.

I'm impressed that one of your group is going as Ashlotte though. That costume looks amazing but just so, so painful to make and wear.

Being a professional screen printer is a gigantic help for cosplay, it turns out. There's a lot of stuff I can do that looks so slick. I've thought about doing commissions for other cosplayers but I'd have to charge a ton for most of the kind of stuff I do for myself--my Hilde banner took somewhere around 20 hours to do the art and the printing, yuck. I bet the projection method will work really well though!

I think most of the ladies' costumes are either too cutesy or too naked for me. I'm very tall and curvy and pretty broad-shouldered, but not quite...whatever you want to call it...to be a good Ivy. :gonk: I love armor building anyway so Hilde is pretty exciting to me. She's the only person I'd make for myself from the games in general except Nightmare, who I'll probably be co-building anyway. I bet you'll look great as Yoshimitsu. People definitely flipped out when a girl emerged from our Big Daddy suit a few times, but nobody knew the difference when I was in there, haha!

Our Ashlotte is the little sister and gold-dressed Sister in my other pictures! She's a sewing wizard, it's seriously ridiculous. I bet it'll be insanely uncomfortable to wear. I'm kind of excited for myself, the way Hilde's armor is built, I think it'll probably be my most comfortable outfit to date! No high heels and no 10000000 pound jetpack. Yeah!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Rufus En Fuego posted:

McPantserton, you and I are going to quickly become BFFs. :colbert: Nail polish and cosplay! :woop: BIG DADDY. :stare: That's just fantastic.

A very, very long time ago I did Seong Mi-na from SCII while a friend of mine did Taki. It was back before the advent of digital cameras and my gaining 20 pounds, so no pics of it really exist. It was kind of awesome, though.

Have you thought about making your own vacuum table and molds? I found this tutorial while searching for my very own stormtrooper armor http://www.studiocreations.com/howto/vacuumtable/index.html

Since all I would ever make was stormtrooper armor for myself, it didn't make sense for me to make my own table, so I ended up buying my armor from a dude on the 501st forums. It's still sitting in a box in the garage, unassembled. Sigh. ONE DAY.

Tonight is the midnight opening of the Hunger Games, and I'm in the midst of making Effie's pink getup for a friend of mine! I only had three days and an incredibly limited budget (the friend is a poor college kid), but I think it'll turn out all right. I'll post pics tomorrow!
Hell yeah! :hfive: (Loving your frankens, by the way!) Although my love of nail polish often gets beaten out my my love of cosplay, ugh. I dremeled off the end of one of my nails last summer and ruined more manicures than I care to remember! I was so excited when we finally GOT to GenCon and I could repaint them a color besides "spray paint droplets."

I should definitely look into building one. It's starting to seem like it will be more cost-effective in not only the short term but also the long term since I do so much costuming anyway and I'm having one hell of a time getting companies to reply to me. Sigh.

Red Robin Hood: That is so kick-rear end!! Have you worn it somewhere ridiculous like the grocery store yet? I don't think I could resist if I had stormtrooper armor around.

Mizufusion posted:

Yeah, I found that most of the third tier costumes weren't very appealing to me, and they have a lot of ridiculous details. I liked making the high priest dress because I could add my own details without it looking like a total clusterfuck. I was about 2" short on some of that gold trim, though. Oops.

For headgear I made a mystic rose out of fake flowers, since I enjoy doing floral work. My mom was a florist and taught me some basics, like how to make corsages. It's a pretty random skill to have, so I like to make use of it. Unfortunately I don't have very good pictures of it, since I haven't been able to find it the last few times I wore the costume. One year I just wore a cheap lolita-style headdress that someone gave me. Maybe I'll just make a new rose.

And yes, I did use the Bible/Book of Mormon from the hotel room as props that year. You can also see that the dress fits a little odd in the shoulder, because the fabric I originally used was pretty cheap, and the collar was all sorts of wonky. In my defense, I made that dress while visiting family in rural Ohio, and the only place to get fabric was Walmart.. :saddowns:

I felt like most of the 3rd tier outfits were tackier, worse-looking versions of 2nd tier, with the exception of Archbishop. Especially Rune Knight, man. What did they do to my beautiful Lord Knight!? But yeah, I think the Archbishop dress has a lot of opportunity to make a really cute, flowy dress with creative accents like that back ruffle that you don't really have to be super strict with. I did a stalker costume like that once where I added a lot of beads, feathers, etc. and just went nuts with really beautiful embellishments and it was sooo much fun to make! I totally love the mystic rose, I think it matches the look of the outfit really well.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Oh my god, just got back from a 4 hour green screen photoshoot for our Warhammer 40k costumes and I am beat. :gonk: However, I think it's going to be so worth it to have real pictures of those costumes, we spent way too much time on them to only have them immortalized in hotel hallways! The guys who did our shoot were really awesome and they'll have a booth at Anime Central, if anybody's going. I'd definitely recommend them, they were really helpful posing us and I never felt stupid or awkward, plus even just the pre-processed pictures looked sooooooo gooooood!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Red Robin Hood posted:

When do we get to see them!? :allears:

As soon as I get the shots back!! For now, here's a test shot of my best bro.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Here's the first few layers of paint on my boyfriend's Yoshimitsu mask!

It's got larger horns that we're still figuring out, and I think the eyebrows look cooler in person than in this photo, but I think it's coming along very nicely!

I also dropped off my Hilde spear blades (made out of .75" thick masonite) with a friend to get belt sanded down to the proper tapers today. PROGRESS.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

HardDisk posted:

Hey. Nice to see a cosplay thread other than the PYF one.

It might get asked around a lot around the internet, but what the hell.

How does one get started into cosplaying?
More specifically, I always wanted to make a Ragnarok Online costume since I played it a lot, but I only go as far as collecting source material. :(

I personally just jumped in! At my first convention I went without a costume because I thought it was lame, but then I saw how many people had badass outfits, and I was jealous. Since then, I have spent an excessive amount of time and money on costumes. Don't worry too much about the fact that you don't know how to sew or armor or whatever. Everybody learns by starting at a baseline point! Look at awesome blogs like Kamui Cosplay, Blind Squirrel Props, and Volpin, and see what kind of materials people use. It's a really nice way to gain knowledge about materials without having to experiment. I really think that the first step is just to try, though. My friends and I didn't think our Big Daddy suit was going to work at all but we've got that suit fine-tuned to the point where it can be put on a person in less than 10 minutes and you can see and walk in it, which I think is a success.

What class do you want to be? I've played way more RO in my life than I care to admit and I probably could think of some ideas for whatever if I knew what you were aiming for.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Soooooo I became obsessed with the idea of making Adventure Time outfits for Anime Central at work today and...

Rhombus!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

HardDisk posted:

Congrats on having the courage to just jump in! How was the feeling in your first day wearing your first costume?
It was totally awesome. :D I was probably 14-15, and I went as Selphie from Final Fantasy VIII. It was back before there were a lot of rules about props so I made the nunchaku out of 2 giant wooden dowels and a length of steel chain, haha. My dress was pretty awful in retrospect but I felt so cool! I've never gone to a con without some sort of costume since.

HardDisk posted:

As I said above, I think ArchBishop (I'm male) is almost a natural for me (I did find funny that one of the first posts were about a Ragnarok Online character, and the High Priestess to boot. Talk about a small Internet :v: ).
I almost went with Blacksmith once, but I didn't have the body to pull off wearing that shirt that way and I had nothing in the way of accessories.
Ok, looking at that costume I'd probably start with a pirate or Matrix-y Halloween pattern (which they totally still make) if you're new to sewing! If it's your first project, consider buying some really cheap muslin and making a test coat from scratch. This will help you learn what the pattern wants you to do with fabric that you won't be mad if you damage. Learning how to sew from a pattern is a matter of being very methodical, in my opinion: a lot of the terms will be new to you, and a lot of the steps won't make sense. But most of them end up being important, and if you stop to figure out what each thing does or means before just doing it and getting angry if things go wrong, it can really help.

When you get to the real coat, don't go for the cheapest fabric available unless you're totally broke. A heavier fabric will make it look more like a real garment than a cheap thin cotton. For the stripes and trim, look at purchasing bias tape! It'll cost a bit but it will also save you a lot of time hemming or trying to get strips of fabric to be even. Looking at it, I think it might also be easier to make a blue undercoat thing and white bolero to go over it instead of trying to do it all as one piece.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Holy poo poo seriously, are you me? :psyduck: Or do great minds just think alike?

I was 14 at my first con and went as (you guessed it) Selphie. My friend's mom sewed the dress for me.

My mom then bought me a sewing machine and I pretty much taught myself to sew. Made a really bad costume the first time I tried, kept trying, eventually got good at it.

Cosplay is so much easier nowadays than it used to be, as there are literally thousands of tutorials online for all kinds of characters, techniques, and props. Back in the early 2000s when I first got started I spent a lot of time figuring poo poo out on my own through trial and error. Now, when I'm attempting a new technique, the first place I go is google to see if someone has come up for a tutorial for it already.
We clearly have some awesome poo poo in common! My mom mostly sewed mine for me, haha. She's also the person who still gets the most excited about my costumes. :3: She's planning on making a ~7 hour drive to come see us at GenCon this year.

Also, here's a photo of me standing on a mountain of the skulls of my enemies :shobon:

Such good motivation to keep working hard on my Soul Calibur outfit! Although I'll admit I am excessively excited to make a silly, easy costume for ACen, I've been wearing my Finn hat for like 2 days!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Rocketwitch posted:

Wow! You all got some awesome cosplays and projects.
I only sew my cosplays and maybe make some props like feathered wings. Currently I'm working on a napoleon-esque outfit that has to be finished in two weeks.
A few years ago I tried something overly ambigious with armor and it didn't work out. Maybe I'll try it again next year. :shobon:

How many conventions do you visit in cosplay per year? And do you make more than one cosplay per year?
I'm really interessted in cosplay habits of others.

On average most of my friends and I attend 5 conventions in cosplay and make 3 cosplays per year. That's more or less standard in the german cosplay community.

I go to 2 large conventions (GenCon, Anime Central). I build one hardcore costume (like my 40k armor) and usually a few weird, small ones like my Adventure Time outfit, or last year I did a Harry Potter outfit for the movies, etc. I used to do a new costume for every convention I went to but with the scale of the projects I generally do nowadays, it'd be waaay too much for me.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Mobius 1 posted:

THIZZFACE KILLA- Your Taokaka costume is awesome! Thanks for the ideas, I have been trying to figure out whether I wanted to have the eyes light up or not, but since I only need small pieces, the EL wire might be the way to go.

Grape Juice Vampire- Thanks for the suggestion! Found one on ebay for about $30.

Red Robin Hood- I know it took forever to get progress pictures and honestly they're not really interesting, but here they are. I haven't added the details to the cloak, I'm still deciding on whether or not I want to stencil on the darker triangles or if I want to find a darker red fabric and sew them on. I'm working on how to put the stencil on for the gold details. The hood part is giving me trouble right now as I can't seem to get the double points in the hood like I want so its back to making my own pattern for it.

MajorGravy- How did you make the helmet for your costume? It looks really nice

This is the sort of situation where I've thought about offering print commissions, it'd be perfect for this kind of thing! Are you doing a freezer paper stencil technique? Here's a tutorial: http://www.stayathomeartist.com/2011/07/stencil-with-freezer-paper-harry-potter.html I always had good luck with that sort of stenciling.

nogthree posted:

Figured I may as well post in here as well. I make a few cast items for local costumers and I'm working on setting up a CNC/vacuforming rig to do so even more.

All I've got to show for my work so far is these purity seals which I sculpted and cast for a friend of mine to paint and finish off.

Oh, and regarding the above topic - the cons in Australia are rather disparate and niche based. I think the only one I regularily go to is Supanova. Animania and several others tend to be full of mouthbreathing otaku who can't comprehend personal boundaries.

Anyhow, would you guys be interested in progress pics of the vacuformed/sculpted parts?

I'd be interested to see vacuum forming stuff since I'm looking at doing a ton of stuff like that this year. Cool purity seals! Fun story, we don't have any for our 40k costumes because although we had sculpted a variety of different ones, cast them in resin, and printed the fabric parts, we didn't get around to gluing them together until we were at at Gencon. We had the fabric and stuff laying around and when we went to go assemble everything, we found out the maids had thrown away our fabric. :gonk: Never got around to making new ones. At least the hotel refunded us some money...

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
oops

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Apr 2, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Mobius 1 posted:

Totally diggin' your 40k book photoshoot. I never did try the freezer paper method of stenciling, I've always just printed on cardstock and cut it out and used spray adhesive. I think its cause I never remember to find freezer paper at the grocery store cause I get sidetracked with other things. Also funny you mention commissions, I was actually going to PM you about them to see if you did offer them :)

Thanks! Here's another slightly ridiculous yet still cool shot of all of us :shobon:

I'd totally be up for looking at commissions but I don't have PMs. My email is hannaherink at gmail dot com!

Here's a brief rundown of weekend progress!

My friend working on the first rendition of Soul Edge, which is going to be insanely heavy.

Spear blades! I took the masonite over to my favorite local hardware store and used their belt sander to taper the edges and bevel the inside edge to a right angle so they'll fit together. Next I need to find somebody with a lathe to make the fancy parts of the shaft.

Sword hilt! I'm going to surface it in bondo to finish it but I'm trying to save a little weight with a paper clay core. Note my extremely fashionable old-rear end work pants, power rangers socks, and Max Factor Fantasy Fire manicure!

Not pictured: I also dyed some fabric for my Finn backpack, plus my boyfriend finished his Jake the Dog hoodie. Productivity!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Red Robin Hood posted:

That is very cool! Did it cost any money to take those pictures or did the dude just want to do a fun photoshoot?
Oops, didn't notice that gigantic accidental double post. Fixed.

They're trying to start a business going to conventions and doing green screen photography for people there, so they needed sample photos of costumes for advertising and whatnot. So we got the photoshoot and a ton of super high-res prints and fabric posters for free! (plus they ordered us a pizza lunch!) They're super nice guys. They have a large format sublimation printer and they're going to do some other work for me, plus they want to photograph our Big Daddy suit and Soul Calibur group once it's done, too. Yay!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Red Robin Hood posted:

That sounds like it would be A LOT of work if they went and did that at a con. But it could be really, really cool!

Any other cool shots? Where are they located?

I asked how long each photo takes, and they said it goes like this:
-Customer goes through the book of backgrounds solo and figures out what background they want
-Customer describes the character, pose they want, etc. briefly
-Max 5 minutes to get the actual shot (the photographer is really good at giving pose directions so I can believe they usually get good results)
-Customer goes to the pay area while the photo is sent to the photoshop guy
-Max 5 minutes to remove the green screen, add the background, and add effects
-PRINT!

They said the hardest part is figuring out what effects go with what characters since they don't know much about a lot of the fandoms. With us, I was able to send a ton of source photos, advise about what different weapons do and how they work, etc. but on the fly, it's tough. They have a list of the most popular stuff so they can hopefully be prepared.

Here are 2 other solo shots they did:
My boyfriend

And my friend

I think the photoshopping is a little more obvious on these but they're still pretty cool. :)

In weird news, we did a photoshoot at Anime Central last year with some lady in our Big Daddy suit, and she never got around to sending us anything. Today she emailed my friend and asked if she could use our photos in a cosplay book. Uhh, maybe if we could see them first or something, at least!? What the hell.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'd definitely do the foam (EVA foam is my foam of choice) with fabric over it and not papier mache and chicken wire. Most foam can be heat-shaped, so you can blow it with a hair dryer or heat gun and warp it to that shape.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Razorbunny, we're totally going to have to share tips and tricks because my current project is Hilde from SCIV, whose design is definitely based on Joan of Arc (think I posted her on page 1). I bet we'll have a ton of similar stuff to do. I'm behind in progress though because my semester is close to over and I'm miserably busy writing papers instead of building armor. Yuck.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Honey Badger posted:

What would be the best course of action if I want to put some text on fabric? I'm trying to make the S.T.A.R.S jacket for Chris Redfield from Resident Evil 1 and I have no idea how to do the actual logo on the back. Do I paint it? Take it to some kind of shop? Sharpie it on?

Please don't paint it or sharpie it. I'm a professional screen printer who's really interested in helping cosplayers apply stuff to their costumes in better ways. Either do a freezer paper transfer, or else email me and even if my shop isn't suited to your job, I bet I can come up with ways to transfer your image more precisely than sharpie. My email is hannaherink at gmail dot com.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

The Werle posted:

The big project: Hedonism Bot! Rough plan is to build a rudimentary couch frame and body cavity where I could kneel in the back and be the head and arms. It'd just be stationary, but wherever there is Hedonism the people will flock, so who needs to move?

That is the best idea ever, easily. A lot of that would be insanely easy to build with pink insulation foam.

Also, my ridiculous Adventure Time costume is done for AnimeCentral this weekend! I'll post pictures once my group is all dressed up together.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

HarkToTheLoons posted:

I finished my cosplay for ACEN this weekend! I had this cosplay 'finished' last year but after a bunch of refining it looks infinitely better.

The photo is less than stellar, but here's the Happy Mask Salesman.

I'll be there too, adventuring in Adventure Time stuff and also tearing it up in my Warhammer 40k armor. I'll keep an eye out for you!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Osmethae, those look great!

I'm looking for ideas on how to make part of my spear for Hilde. I don't have a lathe and I can't find anybody that I know in the area who has one, which would be the obvious choice. There are cuff things on the top and bottom and I'm having trouble thinking of a way to make them even and whatnot.

Top cuff:

Bottom cuff:

Whole spear for reference:

I'm planning on adding the cameo and other detailing in apoxiesculpt or something but I really don't know how to get those even shapes without having them be lumpy or something. The rest of the spear is going to be made of wood.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Alrighty, I'll go cruise Home Depot and Lowe's this weekend and see what I can find!

I definitely had people give me weird looks and/or plumbing advice last year while shopping for costume parts. I was trying to decide if some PVC connectors would work for my 40k jetpack and a nice little old man informed me that I would have some serious plumbing problems if I put my pipes together that way. He was pretty amused when I told him I was building space armor and said I'd probably have better luck finding what I needed than he would, haha. :xd:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Check it out, I made a thing for my boyfriend's Yoshimitsu outfit!

There are 2 of them so it'll be double-sided once we sew/fusibly web it together. I used an antique gold shimmer ink, then heat-pressed metallic foil over it to get a much more shiny finish than you generally get with screen printed inks. The texture in the fabric resulted in a more hammered look than the foil has on a smoother fabric, but I think the texture's going to give the red portions a lot more depth. The white fabric we've ordered for the skirt parts has a similar brocade pattern. I'm pretty pleased with how these printed--only 2.5 hours and 4 screens total compared to the ~14 hours and 10000000 screens for my stupid Hilde banner!

Edit: You can't tell from the photo but the print is about 40 inches tall, we had to hand-set it on a table. I'm so lucky the production manager at my shop is down with helping me print all my nerd poo poo!

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 16:53 on May 4, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I'm finally done with school! :woop: Next weekend, cosplay starts in earnest!! But in the meantime, here's what I did:

My friend and I made bodyforms! (Mine is the lady one..) We're going to use them to form armor over. I plan on making forms of my arms and legs as well. I was really worried that I'd think my bodyform looked gross and fat, but it had the opposite effect and I've been peacocking around convinced of my own shapeliness, haha! On the flip side, I am also incidentally playing through the Silent Hill HD collection and the disembodied torsos creep me the gently caress out.

But yeah, I'd really recommend the tutorial to anybody who needs a precise dress form, it was really easy and REALLY cheap. I paid $5 for the whole roll of water-activated tape (which we used less than half of!) going to a local shipping supplies store. The project probably only took ~2 hours to do each one since we didn't make the stand included in the video.
Here's the tutorial: http://www.threadbanger.com/episode/THR_20090403

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Red Robin Hood posted:

Would it make sense $$ wise to make a full sized mannequin using this method? I was thinking maybe just filling it with expanding foam from Home Depot or something...

We're planning on filling them with expanding foam, actually! I think for our needs this time around it would be a lot more labor-intensive to make the whole thing at once, most of my armor pieces fit separately and I don't really need a form that has them connected. It would be amazingly economic to do if you needed a whole body, though, the tape is crazy cheap if you can find a source that sells it in bulk rolls like I found!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

RazorBunny posted:

The fit isn't great. Sandra clearly has/had an extremely tiny waist.

OH. MY. GOD. THIS. IS. THE. BEST. THING.

Mr. Samuel Shitley posted:

I guess I just like doing things from scratch. I do it when I'm cooking too, sometimes to my dismay as to the amount of effort required. I also like to make things that will last for awhile--it might be because I'm a machinist but anything with less tensile strength than steel feel like play-doh to me nowadays. Aside from that I try to make props that are basically feature-length movie realistic whenever I can.

The reason I specified aluminum is that its light. What amounts to a thin coating over the whole set of armor wouldn't weight much, maybe a few pounds at the most. And believe me, I'm ex-military so wearing excess pounds of heavy crap is something I'm no stranger to.

I also think there are better ways to get that finish. N7 armor builds look really good just in foam from what I've seen. Adding the metal seems like unnecessarily complicating your life as far as I'm concerned. I personally really agree with a lot of the stuff you mention about costuming--I spent a TON of time surfacing my last suit of armor in materials like Bondo or autobody resin so they'd be resilient and appropriately hard to the touch. However, here's a simple issue: how are you going to create compound curves with sheet aluminum? Just flat pieces with a curve will look clunky. Compound curves are hard to get out of any rigid material and I can't imagine metal is going to be easy to do seamlessly.

Edit: I should add that I'm currently looking at having damaged/pinched a nerve in my left arm from wearing costume items that are too heavy :shobon: So be careful, kids! Preserve your health and don't wear nonsensical costume items!

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 04:15 on May 21, 2012

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

The key to curving sheet metal is to use a lot of heat, and to use some kind of very hard form and hammer. If I could get a hold of an anvil and some kind of torch I'll be golden. I will freely admit that it is a highly skill intensive task and also difficult. But, I like spending time crafting things because its a learning experience, and if you take your time and do it right, you get a very nice product in the end.

That kind of sounds like a big 'if' to me, though. I don't know what your costuming background is, but I'd really recommend starting with an EVA foam build and seeing how that goes, then looking at doing metal surfacing after that. I really understand where you're coming from, I swear :shobon: but I think you're looking at techniques that are unnecessarily difficult and may not make the costume look/wear better overall. If nothing else, I think the foam would be really informative in regards to the aluminum shaping required.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

I totally see what you're saying, maybe I'm just being difficult. This is all fairly basic auto-body stuff that's done every day all over the world :) I want to move on to something more complex because I've already done something as difficult as recreating Sev's complete battle harness from scratch...of course I chose something where none of the components currently exist :lol:. I had to sew together a complete fall-arresting harness that is also an ammunition and equipment rig with battery powered lights. I want to test my mettle with actual hard armor now.

For sure, but autobody work doesn't necessarily apply to human-wearable items (seriously, gently caress you, autobody resin, I hate you!). Feel free to check my post history for my own cosplay experience, if you like--I think trying to make something that's outside of your current knowledge and comfort zone is 100% the only way to become a better builder, for real, but I also think you need to seriously consider the benefits of a difficult material versus the trial of working with it. I just cannot imagine a metal surface reliably holding paint in high-impact zones like where your elbows would naturally hit your sides, for example.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
^^I never do this, but my friends all do and it amounts to the same thing uuuuugh^^

As I was working on my sword today, I realized that I'd been visualizing the hilt of my sword UPSIDE-DOWN from what the actual design is. So I spent a chunk of today dremelling off the extra thickness at the top of one end of the hilt piece and adding it back onto the other. Weak!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Weekend progress!

Aaaahhh :gonk: That's my leg/arm/torso, my buddy's creepy-rear end head and torso, and my fiance's torso. THEY ARE MULTIPLYING.

My scabbard! I made it using a flat sheet of MDF and some thin square dowels, which I glued together and filled with bondo, then beveled the edges with my dremel. I'm really happy, the bevel is really smooth and once I line the inside with felt and add the other face, it's going to fit the sword perfectly! It feels nice to have something go so smoothly. :shobon:

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

That's beautiful! How did you make the curly parts? I have to make about 1000 of those for Yoshi's armor, and I was planning on using foam and a ton of apoxie sculpt, but I'm curious to know if there are faster ways.

I'm not totally positive it'll be faster, I'm a glutton for punishment. :downs: I made a flat center shape out of MDF with a gap in the middle to fit the rod, then added a smaller MDF tier on both sides to help fill it out. I then made a spine on both sides out of cardboard to guide the height and center of the bevel, filled it in mostly with paper clay to conserve weight, then topped it off with a bondo layer. I freaking hate sanding paper clay but solid bondo so heavy. Here's my pictures of that part:

It's solid as hell, lightweight, and pretty smooth but it did take a bit of sanding with the dremel and then a sanding block to get the bondo as smooth as I wanted it.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

MajorGravy posted:

Have you tried using Apoxie sculpt, or some other types of air drying clays to sculpt those types of shapes?

Also, those body casts would probably give me nightmares if I bumped into them in the dark.

I'm ordering a pound of it literally right now! :) It'd still be a lot of material for clay and Apoxiesculpt is so blasted expensive, but I'm probably going to use it for the more subtle decorations on the sword and armor. That's the plan so far, anyhow!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Veila posted:

You do good work with that sanding. I too am not a fan of sanding that stuff. But it is so light I just can't help myself.

As for what I am doing I have mostly been spring cleaning I have a bunch of little costumes to finish. But once those are done I plan to make these bad boys.

I basically always end up surfacing paper clay in Bondo, it just sands so much better! I like the finish of it better, too. But yeah, I can't stay away, I got another huge box of it during the Joanns Memorial Day sale for half price.

Those costumes both look totally badass! You're bolder than me, gunning for that Berserker armor.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Veila posted:

Only because I have a personal trainer getting me into shape for it. lol

Also have you ever tried using bondo over Great Stuff? I use great stuff a ton for big props like Sylvanas's bow I used paper mache over the top but I think it could be smoother.

I have not, but I bet you could do some awesome stuff with it! You might have to prime the foam first, though, Bondo definitely corrodes pink foam, at least. Found that one out the hard way...

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

four lean hounds posted:

I've agreed to make Demon Hunter costumes (Diablo 3) for my husband and I for DragonCon this year.

What have I gotten myself into? Wonderflex practice sessions begin this weekend! Any tips for handling the stuff?

I found it helpful to shape the pieces over something smooth that it wouldn't stick to, like a glass. I'd press parts of the Wonderflex down and shape it over the smooth curve like an inch at a time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Jewel posted:

Not an issue there, by the way. Buying overseas + Shipping is usually cheaper than buying them here regardless.

Thanks for the tips though! :)

Fanplusfriend.com carries a lot of cosplay and gothic lolita/aristocrat coats, some of them are similar in shape/silhouette to the stuff you posted. I have a few things from there that I think are pretty good quality for the price.