Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
It's done!!

I belt sanded off an entire fingerprint working on this drat sword but I guess it was worth it, I love it so much. Probably my favorite paint job of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
What I would do/did myself: follow cosplayers, read their builds, watch their videos like Kamui's D.Va one. Buy a dremel. Then straight up start trying to make something. There are tons of resources, material comparisons, etc. out there but I have found nothing as useful as just trying to make poo poo myself with only a tiny idea of how I'll do it.

At this point I consider myself reasonably experienced as a maker and this is still the model I follow :shobon: I screw up all the time (see: my skinless finger) but I think loving up on my own terms has really taught me a lot about not loving up, too. Deep thoughts from McP.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I feel you on that sooo much. But especially if you're interested in foam builds it's a cheap mistake if it doesn't work. And if it's a thermoplastic most of those are recyclable in scrap form
And less malleable plastics I use for paint tests, hidden supports, etc. So your educational pieces really don't have to be wasteful either!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
The RPF is the big one for me. Just yesterday after I posted about learning new poo poo, someone posted a Mando helmet they'd done heat burns on with sharpies and I ended up last minute adding it to the shishkebab. So useful because it's so varied in projects.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

blastron posted:

I have an idea for my next project once I finish my current one, but I'm trying to scope out feasibility first. What would be the best way to make metallic armor that could be polished to a mirror finish? All of my armor builds so far have been craft foam, which doesn't seem like a solid foundation for something like that.

Depending on how curved it is, I've seen fabulous results with foil. Otherwise you're probably looking at either chroming or actual metal

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

HardDiskD posted:

I finally got around to buying two 1mX1mX1cm EVA foam floor mats, and hopefully that's way more than I'll ever need. Let's see how that goes. :ohdear:

So I settled on making a Junkrat, and my plan is to keep you guys posted because I'll can certainly use tips and assurance, if that's cool with you.

One question, how long did you first full cosplay took you? There will be a con near me in two months, and while Junkrat doesn't look particularly hard, I'm not sure if I will be able to complete it in time.

We built our Big Daddy in maybe a hair over 2 months but I had no life hahahaha. If you're willing to put in a shitload of time I'd say you can do it. I'm now angling to finish Yara Greyjoy in 6 weeks, which will also include a Halloween costume and a wedding that I'm a groomsmaid in. I am also a crazy person.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Ratspeaker posted:

That's true. Yours look pretty good; I've never really delved into the art of reshaping and reconditioning wigs beyond basic styling and upkeep, so I may not be seeing all the possibilities. I might grab the Cady wig and see what I can do with it. Do you have any tutorials you recommend?

One super simple way to make a wig look more natural is to soak it in fabric softener, it drops down the shine and it can help reduce the volume some too. Also Arda's newer silky line might be worth checking, they're a lot sleeker than the original fibers. Although for Pearl's hair you might want the added texture for styling.

I've been super busy and not moving real fast on my Yara Greyjoy costume but here's the breastplate so far:

I ran out of studs after this so those are on the way for the bottom plating. I think it's going to be killer once I can weather the whole thing.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Ratspeaker posted:

I'm probably going to stick with the Cady classic, since it's closer to what I need than anything from the Silky collection. I think I'll need to sharpie dye it, though--should that be done before or after softening it? I'd imagine before, but I don't know if fabric softener will make it harder for the fibers to absorb the color.

Yeah, I'd probably do it before. It shouldn't really take the dye out or anything either as long as the fabric softener/water isn't super hot or anything, I know Malinda (who is their main wig stylist and does a ton of their tutorials) sprays/re-soaks her wigs in the fabric softener later if they need to be cleaned up or anything so I can't imagine it would wreck the color later.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
I have a hard time keeping ears up without a flat tab at the bottom. I am a garbage sewing person to be fair but I made a Fiona hat from Adventure Time a few years back and I ended up mounting the ears on a small base that rested on the head to brace them.

Also sorry if that was rambling and puzzling, I am up way past my bedtime because there's a BUG in my bedroom and I did not successfully kill it with my chainsword. Ughhhh

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

I have resisted my urge to sink into a politics based funk and I'm getting pretty frickin excited for my finished Game of Thrones poo poo

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Patattack posted:

That is sick as heeeelll!

Thank youuuuu I am seriously freaking out over how much I like it. I've never built something meant to look so realistic and I'm just so happy with the outcome! I did most of the final touches today, I'll probably darken the belt a little but here's the basically finished product:

Plus I put together the sheath, I need to add the attachment points and weather it but this is the basic idea

Also pictured is my husband sewing the overcoat hehe

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Does anybody have any good ideas for clear round tube that's about .75 outer diameter? I'm finding a decent amount of options but they're all just so expensive for shipping. I only need about a foot and in ~4" segments give or take so if I can avoid spending like $15 on it that'd be so killer.

e. working on this fine fellow, it's for the side tube thingers

Also I don't know if anybody is working on anything big this winter but if you are, Arda Wigs is doing a winter crafting contest if you submit WIPs and stuff and the grand prize is just MASSIVE, it's like 2 plane tickets/hotel rooms/passes or something like that to a convention of your choice off a list. So it might be worth checking out! I'm working alongside them and blogging on the contest tumblr so join me in my winter crafting extravaganza!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

TwystNeko posted:

McPantserson: Of all things, I found plastic test tubes (filled with binder clips or paper clips) at Michaels. They're about .95" around, and are $1.50 each. They're basically soda bottle preforms. If you can fudge the sizes a bit, that could work. I'm in Canada though, so availability and cost may be different.

Ooh, that's a good idea! I ended up finding a length of tube on Amazon that worked (turns out Prime is a thing that means your shipping isn't horrendous, who knew!?) but that's just good to keep in mind in general.

Been a bit sluggish with the build thanks to the holidays but here are my fusion cores so far, hopefully will be bolting them to the base hammerhead this week:

The radioactive goo part is sculpted out of a sincerely bizarre resin clay called Tomei Clay, and the jars are peanut butter jars. I have so much peanut butter to eat.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Woo, my silly hammer is ready for grunge!

I love this goofy rear end thing. Still have only made it through about half of the peanut butter I bought to make the fusion cores haha.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Ayyy thanks guys :D

neogeo0823 posted:

That looks pretty :krad:

Hey, do you have that photo of you in the WH40K armor with the cigar in your mouth? One of my supervisors is a huge 40K nerd and I was telling him about your armor cosplay, and it didn't feel right showing him your work without that photo included. Unless I missed it, it wasn't in your post history.

You're thinking of StarCraft actually! Still marines but different properties. Here it is anyway, though. Or at least one of them.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Goldaline posted:

I made some dumb shoes for this dumb costume!

Unironically would wear these every day.

I made a new pile of rusty garbage!

And they started off so shiny, too :(

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Goldaline posted:

I'm getting tetanus just looking at them.

Ok, so I know this thread is more about props and armor and what not, but I just finished my Gay Ice Skate Man and I'm very proud.

And when I get too uncomfortable in that or just tired of having to wiggle out of it to take a piss, I made his casual gear as well.

All I need now are the iron on Mizuno logos my friend is making for me to make my bootleg athletic gear complete.

Oh my GOD. I love YOI so much. This is spectacular. Aaaaaaa.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Mexican Sandwich posted:

I'm looking to make Ral Zarek from Magic The Gathering, and I'm asking:
Is a reliable way I can cut equal sized strips for leather straps for his backpack, and for the gold trim on his tabard? I don't trust myself to cut this by hand

For leather straps I second the belt idea, and if you have access to one hit a by-the-pound thrift store for them. I had to buy 10-12 belts for my Furiosa costume and I got them all in real leather for less than $2 for literally all of them at a St. Vincent's outlet.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

thespaceinvader posted:

Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

(Bumping for new page)

Not that this will help a bunch now but I usually swipe off sharpie as much as I can with a little acetone before I paint my pieces to avoid exactly this. Would wreck your sealant though I think.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Ratspeaker posted:

Arda started carrying the Cady in light peach, which is the perfect color for Pearl! Procrastinating worked out for me; now I don't have to dye it after all. I was styling it yesterday, and the fibers were lovely to work with. Thankfully I'm playing "young" Pearl, whose hair isn't quite as ridiculous.

Also, since this didn't get any responses last time: I'm still looking for somewhere to buy an ENORMOUS (in terms of cap size) wig.

Arda is the largest cap ones I know of. As for enlarging, I googled "how to make a wig larger" and came up with a ton of results, mostly indicating you'd likely need to splice 2 together.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Ratspeaker posted:

Bit of a late reply, but thanks for the tip on Arda having a larger than usual wig cap. I ordered their Jareth long, and it fits very snugly on my friend's head, but not enough to bunch up and fall off, so we're calling it a win. :)

No prob, glad it worked!

my cat is norris posted:

PVC can also be easily bent with heat.

Also, if you fill the pipe with sand as you heat and bend it, it won't kink up!

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

jmistajay posted:

Starting a build of Ephraim from Fire Emblem Heroes. This will be my first time heat forming foam and using plasti dip rather than carving and sanding followed by gesso. I'm taking cues from tutorials by Evil Ted and Kamui Cosplay, who are both totally awesome.

x

I was really hoping to be working on Eirika by now but instead I slipped, fell down my basement staircase, and broke my leg :shobon: I shall live vicariously through you for the next few weeks. I love both of their outfits so much.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
McPants current cosplay status: at least 5% cyborg

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
Had to change my Halloween plans up from my usual since I'm still recovering from a broken leg but I'm having a good time with this so far! Gonna go as San from Princess Mononoke since I can thrift or BS a lot of the outfit haha. And I have almost all the materials I need.

e. I am very proud of the fact that the eye and mouth ports are rubber toilet gaskets jacked in worbla bwahahahaha

Tonight I'm hoping to bang out accessories big time.

Also I adopted some weird little boogers. This has nothing to do with cosplay and everything to do with cute kittens.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Oct 26, 2017

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Goldaline posted:

Hi you might remember me as 'that person with all the Jojo's' but I'm back with some Final Fantasy foolishness. My next project is going to be Balthier from FFXII--it's super involved but in a completely different way than my Jojo costumes. Much more traditional embroidery and tailoring, and much less metallic spandex going on. I really wanted to enter more costume contests but it's a bit hard finding male characters with interesting/complicated enough designs to go up against big intricate gowns--and that also aren't armor, since that's not my forte. But I think Balthier stands a chance!

So far I've made a good dent in it! First I drafted out his weird shirt and vest:

Then figured out and cleaned up all the embroidery/applique designs

Got a cuff done-hand guided machine embroidery with buttonhole thread to give it a more hand done look. Plus a little applique and couching. I had to make up a good deal of the detail here, it's not super clear in the model.

And now I've begun some work on the vest. Using a new interfacing called EZ-Steam and it's really excellent for this kind of detail work. It's double sided self adhesive so you can get everything stuck down and make sure it's in place, then fuse it all together. I marked out the edges of major motifs with basting stitches to help keep it all lined up too. Then just lots and lots of satin stitch. The top edge applique will be done when it's joined to the back so it can be one continuous piece

Oh my god I am screaming I love Balthier SO MUCH.

Also! I'm not super far in but my stupidy broken leg is finally FINALLY healed enough that I have started working on my Fire Emblem Eirika costume :woop: I'M BACK KIDS

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING
e. ^^^I think Josephine would work fine, otherwise I'd probably go with Jane. and likely I'd pick between those 2 based on what color they came in that I liked better
e2. ok yeah the color you linked for Josephine is wayyyyyyyy better and that is what I would pick too. I love Arda's blended colors like that, I just ordered a similar one for Eirika in teal :D

Goldaline posted:

He's Final Fantasy Han Solo, I can't ask for more (although it will be strange to be a character that isn't an enormous goof or shitheel for once) Just wish someone would be Fran with me, but none of my friends want to wear the tiny armor bikini for some reason??

One of my upcoming costumes is Fire Emblem too! I'm going to unravel the extremely improbable construction of Chrom's Stupid Onesie.

Bahahah YESSS

Also! IT'S REALLY HAPPENING Eirika is actually in earnest begun!!

:woop: Still can't stand for *that* long but good lord it is so freaking awesome to be able to craft at all, plus this is my first big project in my new house which has an *actual workshop area*. I am so jazzed.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Dec 21, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Goldaline posted:

Vest is basically done! Just need the loops on the back.

I'm pretty happy with it, wish I'd brought the collar forward just a little bit more, but what can you do? The velvet wrinkles will probably press out but...honestly it looks kinda rumpled on the render too. Flaring at the bottom is to give myself some room for his giant stupid belts.

Any tips on places to start with his gun would be appreciated. I can sew up a storm but with props I'm ??? I thought briefly about making a stuffed gun...

I am dying over how much I love and I'm super sleepy but I will cheerfully write up exactly how I would make his guns tomorrow. Most fantastic work here dude as always.

McPantserton fucked around with this message at 08:30 on Dec 22, 2017