Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

blastron posted:

There's a great kind of self-hardening epoxy clay called Apoxie Sculpt.

Paperclay would probably work as well, using that same method.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
I've been following their progress on Facebook. We are in some of the same groups. I hadn't seen the walking test though, that's amazing. And so is how they planned it all out; by making a scale model first and scaling everything up.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Well my costume for Blizzcon fell apart as I was getting dressed on Friday morning. Luckily, I made my first day 2 costume so I wore that both days instead. No pictures back yet, but here are some 360 cam things I did. This booth is seriously the best.

http://blizzcam360.com/dash/27f798
http://blizzcam360.com/110715B131323
http://blizzcam360.com/dash/b0bc76
http://blizzcam360.com/dash/f7ac39

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Inzombiac posted:

Christ, maybe I'm searching the wrong terms but Amazon only seems to have EVA in 2mm and 3/8" thicknesses.
I'm looking for 6mm or so. The 12 I got in the mail is great for armor but maybe not the helmet.

I buy from foamorder. You'll pay a bit for shipping, but it's smooth on both sides and comes in giant sheets. Plus they have 9 thicknesses to choose from.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

Dori posted:

Con ready with time to sleep to spare!!!

It's a cosplay miracle!

What is your giant weapon made of?

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

blastron posted:

Illidan Stormrage...

The weapons need to look metallic, for the most part, but I want to make them glow green. I was thinking that I might cast them in a translucent resin with LEDs embedded, paint the entire thing metallic, and then gently wet-sand the paint off along any corners or raised edges so that the light can shine through. Does this sound plausible, or has anyone tried anything similar? I've seen some crazy weapon builds in this thread.

Kohalu did an awesome Illidan last year at Blizzcon. He did the glaives like you mention, with resin and LEDs. I'm pretty sure there are WIP pics on his facebook page. I've no experience with resin, but I saw his weapons up close last year and they were amazing.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

TwystNeko posted:

Has anyone checked out the books from Kamui Cosplay? I see I can get all of them digitally for like $25, and their stuff is really great, I'm just wondering how useful they'll be.

I have her 4 original ones (props, painting, armor making, female armor patterns), but not any newer ones. They're okay. Most of the stuff in them is available for free on her site, or youtubes she's posted, they're just put together in a different format and much easier to reference.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
That's amazing.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Blizzcon is right around the corner, and I'm behind. Finished up my cloak today, and got some ribbons cut/prepped for trim and details.

This is what I'm aiming for, but with white hair. It's some fan art posted on the WoW site in 2005 that I printed out and colored in. Looks like Aegwynn to me, which is why I'm changing the hair color.

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Blizzcon was a success! I planned my costume according to my current situation - Aegwynn, pregnant with Medivh. Not too many people got it until I told them, which was fine, as I tend to do costumes people don't recognize. But it was really fun running into all the Medivh cosplayers. The trio in the last pic I ran into so many times it became a joke. I'd yell out "My sons!" and they'd reply with a chorus of "Mom!" This was my most sewing intensive costume yet, and I am pleased at how well everything came together.

Also ran into a Junkrat who recognized me from here, but forgot to get their name. You looked amazing!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~
Anyone going to Blizzcon? Been stalling out on my costume this year, so I really hope I finish.

Need to put a few final details on this, but my baby's first cosplay is done!

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

The Electronaut posted:

Anyone doing cosplay at BlizzCon? Not sure what day I'll bring Tracer out and if there's a goon or goons to hang with, then that's all the better.

Just saw this. I was at Blizzcon as Eonar, with my baby as whelpling Ysera.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reformed Tomboy
Feb 2, 2005

chu~~

neogeo0823 posted:

So I'm not sure if this is a topic for this thread, but I'm really curious. How do you goons who cosplay regularly afford this stuff? I've got things I've been wanting to make for years, but I'm just too drat poor to afford it. I'm assuming most of you just have regular disposable income, but maybe you guys actually figure a cosplay budget into your every day budgeting?

It depends what you're making. My cheapest costume was $34, my most expensive closer to $800. Spread over a year, $800 is not that bad for a hobby. But I do one costume a year. People who do more probably have a budget. Also, things like tools are an investment. So it may be $XX for a dremel or whatever, but you'll use it a ton going forward.