Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I have a question for a possible Captain American costume for Halloween. How exactly would one go about making the shield? I was thinking of placing a large cardboard or foamcore circle on like...a trashcan lid or something, but it seems kind of flimsy and wouldn't have the nice angle that Cap's shield has.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Veila posted:

You could use foam and heat it up to help it hold the form to make the foam more durable add a fabic layer to the back then put a resin coat on it.

Much obliged! I'll look into the materials after work.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

I feel like I'm always in here asking for advice on Marvel character pieces, but you guys are really the only resource I have online for this kind of thing. I'm interested in creating an Iron Man gauntlet, open to anything mark IV or later, and like pepukura or foam guides that I can use. I'm hoping to be Toni Stark for Dragon Con and I've got everything but the arc reactor (which has a million great guides online) and the gauntlet. Any help you guys could offer would be appreciated!

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Anyone have any tips for scaling down pepukura armor? I managed to find a great gauntlet design but it's made for people with much larger hands than mine.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Speleothing posted:

Okay, it seems like the better funnier GBS may not have a Halloween thread this year.

How should I go about lazily making an astronaut costume?

Does your head fit in a fishbowl?

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

TwystNeko posted:

I've pretty much finished the dubstep gun. Yay!

https://goo.gl/photos/1VErRkDPnuu6ce24A

Now that it's done, I didn't realize just how big it was. Sadly, it's too big for me to be able to wear the deadmau5 head. Oh well, ridiculous outfit go!

This is incredible and HILARIOUS! Well done! All purple outfit with gold accents and you're set.

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Ok yes so since we've been resurrected I have questions about Eva foam.

I have a lot of smaller pieces attached to a larger piece. I'm planning on heat treating/shaping all my foam first before assembly.

My question is, plastidip before assembly doing each lil piece, or after to cover the whole assembled piece? I have the paint on plastidip because I live in an apartment complex and am trying to avoid anything aerosol if possible.

I'm using contact cement to adhere if that makes any difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

Deviant posted:

After assembly and heat sealing. And the paint on plastidip isn't great imo but try it I guess

Thanks!

I'm amenable to the spray on if it is necessary. I just don't want to go through the effort of building a spray box or whatever I'd have to do to get it done here unless it's absolutely necessary.