Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
It's not much but I had finished my Grifter costume (more like.. just mask.. featuring generic army getup) for the NYCC wanted to post it.

Lots of comments from strangers who passed me about whether I could see or "that guy is scary" sort of thing.

I had a surprising amount of people actually know who I was despite not wearing the signature green trenchcoat.

Surprisingly didn't get as many "Deadpool?" comments as I thought I would too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I thought I didn't qualify. I was considered, what was it... volatile, self-centered, and I don't play well with others.
I dressed as Snake Eyes once and was harassed for speaking while dressed as the character. LOL.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Holy Smokes! You're gonna try that? BRAVE.. BRAVE.

I've no experience with this but I look forward to seeing those pictures. Even if you're a dude. Actually... ESPECIALLY if you're a dude!

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Funhilde posted:

You could also use a metallic stretch fabric. It could be more comfortable.

Is that the stuff like those trashy women wear? Like gold lame really tight pants?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I love how you look like you're shrugging but you're not shrugging. It's mesmerizing.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

What are you going to do about the hair?

If you can't get letters large enough for RPD do you know hot to sew?

I honestly would love to do more dress up.. but I'm asian and have a super bobble sized head.. so I don't feel right doing any character that doesn't have a mask.

You white folks. Bleh. A pox on you.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I'm not really familiar with the Res Evil series, but maybe if he ever wore a cap you can don that?

The way my tactical vest works is with velcro. Perhaps not to damage the vest so you can re-use it for a future cosplay you can consider that as an option? With me I variously velcro things on and off the vest to serve it's function. Stargate, GI Joe, etc.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

What about this

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Flak-vest-b...=item257b10ca3d

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Bag of Hamsters posted:

Is it not feeling comfortable or worrying that people will give you poo poo for doing something 'not your type?' I've gotten a ton of crap for not being Asian.

I'm finally home and I'm going to see if I can finish Nanami today. Now that I don't have a deadline, I can make her swords.

Well I'm Chinese specifically so there are a few considerations. I have a wide nose, so unlike Koreans or Japanese who have thinner noses I felt it would stand out too much. I also have a round head. So that combination is rarely seen in superheros and.. well.. heros in general.

Imagine PSY dressed as Solid Snake or something.

So I guess it's not 100% about my race but more about the features that come with my particular race. It's sort of like when you see a black Sailor Moon or something.. you have nothing against them but you just think to yourself "You couldn't choose someone black? Storm?" or something.

My last costume was Grifter, I MAY consider getting a green trench coat if I can find one cheap for this year.

Previously I did random incarnations of Snake Eyes

A common motif is "something with a mask" and also "Can I wear my tactical vest?"

So basically any costume I make, is sort of half assed because a lot of them are things I only decide a week before any event? I know that's not good but usually I'm stuck at home wondering what I should do until that lightbulb turns on. Anyone with masks will do!

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Flanker posted:

Beta Ray Bill mask is coming along.

I think I'm going to add more to the cheekbones. After that and a couple finishing touches I'm going to gesso the poo poo out if it

What material is that? Your mask looks plastic.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Hey guys.. trying to get my GRIFTER coat to look better than it does.. does anyone have any good tips to make it look like I DIDN'T just gain 400 lbs by putting it on?

I swear to god putting on the green coat is like glimpsing into me in the future.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Amykinz posted:

I have only one thing to say to you: REN FAIRS. (Especially if you have a costume-appropriate sense of humor)

I always wanted to Cosplay as a Stargate SG1 unit and go to a renaissance fair.

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Amykinz posted:

It's a cute idea, but everyone there has seen it before. I've seen "ninjas", Star Trek costumes, generic time travelers, and Dr. Who. The first time is funny, but after that most people kinda see you as the guy who's trying too hard to be meta and ruining everyone else's fun.

gently caress. What about dressing like Fred Flintstone?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Amykinz posted:

Lol, the best thing if you want to do something different and unique, I think, is to find something that fits within the fantasy/renaissance 'genre' and humor-fy it or make it out of funny stuff.

What about Ezio from Assassins Creed?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

Anyone here going to the NYCC this week?

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

I'm planning to make some Wolverine Claws.. I'd like it to be made out of a plasticy material that's more durable than the balsa wood I used the first time I did it. Ideally I want it to not be too thick so all I have to do is cut it to shape and not do additional sanding.. is there's anything similar to plexiglass that's cheaper than plexiglass I can use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jet Ready Go
Nov 3, 2005

WHOA whassup there Taskmaster buddy! It's like a blast from the past! I just began working on my 2nd cosplay to date and it's none other than the Modern take on you!

I just finished the primary detailing work on the mask and will begin working on the shield in the coming weeks. Please ignore my Winter Soldier (tm) long sleeve shirt as its the only long sleeve that fits a little tight I have at the moment. I will be getting in my Under Armor compression shirt next week.