Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

"But I've been twelve for a very long time"
I'm so glad someone finally posted a DIY cosplay thread. I've been cosplaying since 2001 and have been following the old thread since 2009.

Anyway, most current project.. Mass Effect, Commander Shepard.

Sadly, all my talent is in actual fabric, armor, props and accessories frighten and confuse me. :saddowns:

So I'm makeing her alliance crew uniform.

I finished the shirt part a few days ago and will hopefully get to work on the rest today.

I couldn't find the color I wanted for the sports mesh, so I resorted to dying.

Security Deposit? What's that? :downs:

Modified a leotard pattern I had for the top because I wanted to use a stretch fabric under the mesh.

I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite blurry iphone photo on the citadel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

Well, Commander Shepard vest is completed!

I'm ordering the camo pants now, and there's a few things that need touch-ups, (plus getting the wig), but I'm pretty happy with it. I wish I was more accessory-skilled, so I could replicate the riffle, but I got a friend who says she'll slap together an omni-tool, so we'll see.

My other big project for this year is Puella Magika Madoka.

My friend is doing Mami, and I'll be doing Homura. Yesterday I finished the blouse and skirt part of the costume.

(that's just bias tape for the ribbon, use your imagination or something until I get a real ribbon :ssh:)

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

THIZZFACE KILLA posted:

Yes! This is my favorite new anime series in, like, a decade, and I would love to cosplay from it but 1. I don't have any female friends into cosplay and 2. it's insanely overdone right now to the point where there are like, 200 Madoka Magika cosplayers at every con I go to.

Are you going to make the 8 million guns?

Well hey, it's just Homura and Mami right now, so if you have any plans to go to Anime Expo, PM me, we totally could use another magical girl in our group.

I do agree, any good cosplay work we do will be over-shadowed by 200 other Madoka Magika girls, but the costumes themselves are pretty rad and fit my comfort zone of "Challenging, but not hair-ripping impossible". And I'm doing it for a friend, so hey, why not?

Actually, my Mami friend actually swung by yesterday, she picked up two toy guns from the 99 cents store and confessed to me, she was really tempted to purchase 100 of them but thought better of it.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

Any goon advice for doing a full mascot costume? I go on work hiatus in January and I've been fooling around with the idea of making a full on Ice King costume from Adventure Time to keep me from going stir-crazy.

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

Got back from Otakon last week. This year our group decided to do the various multi-player characters from Assasins Creed.

I went as The Trickster and also made the Plague Doctor for my friend. The results were pretty awesome.

I'm really happy with the mask as I'd originally done it in paper clay and realized that it would be WAY to heavy to comfortably wear. I ended up finding a fabric blend of felt and wool, soaked it in a glue/water mix and put it over the original paper clay mold. It was much lighter and far less fragile. :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mucktron
Dec 21, 2005

So my photographer finally sent me the photos she took for our Bioshock Infinate cosplay group at Otakon Vegas and I wanted to share.

I was inspired by Claire Hummel (the woman who designed the Lutece Twins) who had broken down all the historically accurate under garments that Rosalind Lutece would have worn, and decided to make them. On top of that, I had to build both costumes for Robert and Rosalind Lutece, as I wanted their costumes to be as 100% identical as possible.

Petticoat excluded, here are the completed under-garments. (Chemise, drawers, and Edwardian corset) I used Folkwear patterns for everything, and I swear by them if you need a pattern that is period or ethnic centric.

With the exception of the ties and button-downs, everything else was built. I also styled the wigs, which was a feat in itself. (There is an entire packet of bobby pins in my wig. Please honor their sacrifice :saddowns: )