Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

torgo posted:

It's kinda comical how badly all the ex-Sierra Kickstarter and Kickstarter adjacent projects have gone.

Hero-U: The Coles had to mortgage their house to finish their game.

Leisure Suit Larry Remake: I feel like Al Lowe should have realized that maybe leaving this game in the 80's would have been for the best.

Spaceventure: Spend 10 years creating a new engine for a graphic adventure, still busted and broken.

Jane Jensen's project: Actually, I don't remember how that one turned out.

And after seeing all that, the Williams are producing a remake of the original text adventure Colossal Cave. At least they aren't crowdfunding.

I think it's more of a "people who haven't made a game in decades" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

If they had just made their adventure game in adventure game maker, but went real hard on 2d assets and many rooms and puzzles and stuff any nostalgia adventure game redux would have the chance of being better. Have a small, simple, limited palate and make stuff with love. Trust your audience. All these lovely kickstarters that build engines from the wheel up are so so cynical.

Orc Priest
Jun 9, 2021

idonotlikepeas posted:

Ran into this one via my newsfeed:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/81monkeys/world-of-anterra

Don't know why they're asking for this amount of money with a 12-person team, and of course the idea that the game will be available in a year should be disregarded, but it does look interesting. At least from a "man, I wish someone were still making Ultima games" standpoint.

This is actually a really cool looking project. Imagine if it turned out to be the next Terraria where they just keep updating it, improving it and adding tons of content for years and years. Yeah it's nice to dream

antidote
Jun 15, 2005

Okay but Hero-U was an absolute joy. Maybe they had to mortgage their house, but I loved the game.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

antidote posted:

Okay but Hero-U was an absolute joy. Maybe they had to mortgage their house, but I loved the game.

I liked Hero-U, but its hard to deny it made some really poor design decisions (like how taking the magic class is a worthless trap option).

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
It also didn't help that the Hero-U development was essentially restarted and went on Kickstarter a second time as well. I really enjoyed the end result and I'm actually a bit sad that we will probably never see a sequel.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

torgo posted:

Jane Jensen's project: Actually, I don't remember how that one turned out.

Suffered from the company she was planning to use collapsing into bankruptcy more or less immediately after the kickstarter ended and her having to rely for a lot of work on Phoenix Online which is basically a group of fans not pros.

Honestly Moebius Empire Rising ended up OK just very low budget vs her Sierra games which seems to be the real complaint about most of these classic creator projects, they're working with budgets that are a fraction of what they used to have.

What didn't go well was the Gabriel Knight remake, which was done at the same time with the same team, and reading between the lines all the issues there were caused by Activision who were funding the project and still own the Gabriel Knight IP being massive poo poo-lords.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

They claimed that the dialogue sources they had weren’t up to standard but I think it was probably a rights issue of some kind. They could have ripped the Curry/Hamill/Dorn/Remini/etc audio from the original and it would have sounded fine. It’s not like it was horribly compressed or anything.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
One of Gaming’s Greatest Writers Is Busy Crafting Romance Novels
WIRED talked to Jane Jensen about her prolific publishing, shape-shifting dogs, and the hope of seeing Gabriel Knight 4.

I'm mostly glad she's doing well creatively/financially.

Megazver fucked around with this message at 10:34 on Sep 19, 2022

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

Thanks for reminding me about Space Venture, I went to check my email and-

This is going to be a great adventure!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

torgo posted:

Leisure Suit Larry Remake: I feel like Al Lowe should have realized that maybe leaving this game in the 80's would have been for the best.

The whole loving thing was one of the biggest Kickstarter messes. The game was awful, and it was crammed full of truly cringeworthy backer reward poo poo.

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Humerus posted:

Thanks for reminding me about Space Venture, I went to check my email and-

This is going to be a great adventure!

Checked out someone's early impressions video and the first thing they ran into is that the Settings button on the main menu doesn't work.

AngryRobotsInc
Aug 2, 2011

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

The whole loving thing was one of the biggest Kickstarter messes. The game was awful, and it was crammed full of truly cringeworthy backer reward poo poo.

Those are some clip art looking assets, drat.

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Maybe this will be good.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ansharpublishing/zoria-age-of-shattering

Got sent this by the guys who did Gamedec, I think they're publishing this one and there's some of the same people involved. There's a demo on Steam.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

This also looks nice: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/primalgs/mandragora

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

This game has been remade wayyyyyyy too many times - and this is a die hard LSL fan here

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

So the surprise of no one, Midoria is finally coming clean about being a scam.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epicmindsinc/midora-0/posts/3623076

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Azubah posted:

So the surprise of no one, Midoria is finally coming clean about being a scam.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/epicmindsinc/midora-0/posts/3623076

Never heard of this before but I would've thought the trailer being 95% stolen Minish Cap assets might have been a bit of a red flag.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Every single one of those guys had an alt-right youtube channel around 2016

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
How did the Wyrmwood gaming tables go? I cancelled my order long ago but it looks like they have been shipping this year? But their desk kickstarter got cancelled?

I always thought they’d get shut down for OHS reasons.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Comstar posted:

How did the Wyrmwood gaming tables go? I cancelled my order long ago but it looks like they have been shipping this year? But their desk kickstarter got cancelled?

I always thought they’d get shut down for OHS reasons.

https://www.polygon.com/tabletop-games/23460944/tabletop-creators-are-trapped-in-a-boom-and-bust-crowdfunding-cycle

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

I couldn't tell from the story- have the gaming tables been shipped yet?

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I think they're mostly caught up. I have one, it's okay.

Rebel Blob
Mar 1, 2008

Extinction for our time

Still a feeble kick every now and again from Kickstarter with smaller video game projects.

Wormwood Studios, developer of Primordia and Strangeland have a new game up for crowdfunding: Hibernaculum. It's the brainchild of Wormwood's artist, Victor Pflug.

The Basics posted:

Hibernaculum is a retro-inspired dungeon crawler that sets out to recreate the engrossing labyrinthine experiences of the classics of days gone by, whilst also building a modern, deeply unique & explorable world of survival, mystery and macabre intrigue."
  • Hibernaculum is a first person sci-fi/horror role playing game with survival horror roots.
  • Create a unique character to explore the depths of Hibernaculum & have the experience you want to have. Choices only matter, if they matter to you.
  • Non-linear gameplay allows for exploration at your own pace, and in your own fashion. Forge ahead and risk calamity or riches. Conversely, pace yourself and avoid harm.
  • Navigate decayed industrial Realms through environmental storytelling and a unique, brooding atmosphere.
  • Hibernaculum is being developed in C++ for PC (Windows) Mac & Linux with immediate plans for porting to Steam Deck, iOS & Nintendo Switch.
  • Hibernaculum will initially be available in English, German, French & Spanish.
  • Hibernaculum will be released DRM-free & available on Steam + GoG.

Only just became aware of Hibernaculum because of Grim Beard's video, though his persona might be a bit much:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YJ38psBZbms

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Oh no, it looks like an Amiga 500 game

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
Grim Beard rules actually

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

The_Doctor posted:

Oh no, it looks like an Amiga 500 game

You say that like a bad thing :confused:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Captain Hygiene posted:

You say that like a bad thing :confused:

Not even slightly! :stwoon:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

Rebel Blob posted:

Wormwood Studios, developer of Primordia and Strangeland have a new game up for crowdfunding: Hibernaculum.

Looks very cool but $30 for the base tier? I'd blame inflation but crowdfunding prices were trending upwards before, too. I guess it's better than asking for too little. I'm glad it didn't need me to get funded.

Out of curiosity, how many projects are people itt still waiting on? I basically never back anything nowadays cause I feel like I've been priced out of even the base game tiers, but I've still got six I'm waiting on. One is as close to a guarantee as you can get I think (Near-Mage), two are quietly trucking along and I'm pretty confident about them even if it's gonna take a while still (K'nossos, Cosmic Frontier: Override), and three that I think are probably either dead or dying (Tala, Selling Sunlight, Consortium: The Tower).

mycelia
Apr 28, 2013

POWERFUL FUNGAL LORD

Sway Grunt posted:

Looks very cool but $30 for the base tier? I'd blame inflation but crowdfunding prices were trending upwards before, too. I guess it's better than asking for too little. I'm glad it didn't need me to get funded.

Out of curiosity, how many projects are people itt still waiting on? I basically never back anything nowadays cause I feel like I've been priced out of even the base game tiers, but I've still got six I'm waiting on. One is as close to a guarantee as you can get I think (Near-Mage), two are quietly trucking along and I'm pretty confident about them even if it's gonna take a while still (K'nossos, Cosmic Frontier: Override), and three that I think are probably either dead or dying (Tala, Selling Sunlight, Consortium: The Tower).

I know the Selling Sunlight devs! Game's not dead, but the pandemic and subsequent burnout have slowed things down a lot. They're stubborn, though. Don't give up on them yet :shobon:

Sway Grunt
May 15, 2004

Tenochtitlan, looking east.

mycelia posted:

I know the Selling Sunlight devs! Game's not dead, but the pandemic and subsequent burnout have slowed things down a lot. They're stubborn, though. Don't give up on them yet :shobon:

That's good to hear! That was the one I was saddest about. I do remember from the updates that yeah, Covid really did a number on them sadly, and right off the bat too considering they were all in Italy at the time. I still absolutely love the idea for the game as well as the beautiful art so hopefully it eventually comes to fruition.

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Most of mine came through, still checking up on Sui Generis. Its demo Exanima came out in 2015 and has.. yearly updates?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

My big misses are Moon Intern, which ran into trouble early on and was last heard of literally 10 years ago. I think it was a solo project and way too ambitious but those were the wild early days of Kickstarter.

What really upsets me is Unbroken, a solo board game. The project itself went fine, but as the game was about to release the publisher posted that they had accidentally calculated their shipping costs all wrong and are basically holding the games hostage by only offering them to people who pay extra shipping. The last anyone heard of that project was before the pandemic so I'm not holding out much hope of ever getting my game. Not the first scummy, scammy thing that publisher has pulled, sadly.

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

I still feel bad for backing Radio the Universe

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I don't, it took like a trillion years but it is still inching closer and closer to release. It's going to be the final game of the great kickstarter gold rush to actually get made

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

My big misses are Moon Intern, which ran into trouble early on and was last heard of literally 10 years ago. I think it was a solo project and way too ambitious but those were the wild early days of Kickstarter.

Oh, same! I think that's the only Kickstarter I backed that hasn't delivered in some form. I've had others that were partially delivered, or I just didn't like the end result (Double Fine Adventure).

The System Shock remake and Firmament, an adventure game from the Myst people, were looking like they might have been failures, but both of those are supposed to be releasing later this year. System Shock even has a backer beta out that I've been playing, it's good!

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

No Dignity posted:

I don't, it took like a trillion years but it is still inching closer and closer to release. It's going to be the final game of the great kickstarter gold rush to actually get made

I played the Demo and hated it. That's the reason.

dovetaile
Jul 8, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Waiting on (most are Swiitch) https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sunhaven/sunhaven, https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/squarehusky/everafter-falls,and https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/3l1/wanderlost. Sun Haven is most irritating as it's out on Steam and out of EA already.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer
If we're posting our Ls, i backed Clang :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Star Command was supposed to be released in 2012, the last update from the creator was 2020, I assume the game won't be finished.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/starcommand/star-command-kickstart-part-2-the-pc-mac-space-adv/description