Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Tarquinn posted:

:stare: Don't really care about the game (yet), but still pledged 25 bucks because of the video.

How can these guys have so few backers? Even as someone who hasn't played the earlier games, Metacell seems completely awesome and the vid is great. Did someone forget to advertise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dixie Flatline posted:

Did anyone even like Leisure Suit Larry or did we just feel naughty because most of us were children?

Little bit of both. Believe it or not, there were actual good jokes hidden in those games (not to be found most everywhere, but they were there). It's certainly got my money, if only because I'd want to see how Lowe would design a game in this day and age.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

I guess someone is trying to make a game that is quite a bit like Battlezone (98?)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/807779870/bionite-origins

Is this true, or just a clever ruse? I don't know, but it has my backing now.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

If I had that kind of device, I'd care to back it. I'll just stick to the Battlezone-esque game and the other 10 or so projects I've backed so far.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Occupation posted:

Also being an ex-Bioware member is a negative at this point, especially with goons, so uh.

Not really. My main problems with Bioware at this point mostly stem from their publisher's side. And being an ex member of the company can count for a lot in their favor depending on why they left.

Then again there are people for whom everything Bioware touches turns toxic in their eyes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Karpaw posted:

Some ex-LucasArts guy wants to make a space combat sim. He apparently had the brilliant idea of introducing crowdfunded launch DLC but...

A developer that listens to the fans, and wants to make my favorite kinda game? Why not :) Money provided!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

YOURFRIEND posted:

We need to talk about your problem.

And your problem is you aren't kickstarting enough!

I'm sure I'll probably be able to make rent next month. Maybe.

Maybe you can find me a new project to support to change that :)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Saoshyant posted:

Did you see Squad Wars yet? What about Jane Jensen's Moebius? And this Tortured Hearts by that really nice lady? Hey, and do you like Puzzle Quest? And did I tell you about Grim Dawn? And speaking of that, do you like Metroidvanias?

Wait a minute. That last one, in the rewards section, says it gives out preorders as a reward. Is that their roundabout way of saying you get a key for the game at that price or are they just a bunch of asses?

Edit: I really need to get an indiegogo account. But then intense laziness sets in and I don't.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

A lot of Kickstarters are giving out keys for donating X dollars. That's not really a huge surprise and the Valdis guy has one released game so far so he's legit.

It sounded like they were just offering the chance to order the game, not the actual order(key) itself. That's what got me confused.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

I'm always squeamish of Kickstarters that have grammar issues and misspellings, but given that the Legends of Eisenwald guys aren't native English speakers, they get a pass. The game looks awesome, and I am down for $15.

edit: Has it been mentioned that Leisure Suit Larry got funded?

Someone should make a Kickstarter for an organization that proofreads your Kickstarters. And products.

In all seriousness good grammar does wonders for my willingness to back stuff. Especially if it reflects on a possible final game.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

With 60 minutes to go, the Shadowrun dudes are going to be hard pressed getting 2 million for their kickstarter. I mean yes, they're supposedly massively overfunded already, but who cares? I think it's something about secret new additions to the game at that level which intrigues me. Still, they have a bit of money on Paypal as well, so who knows?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, I didn't see this mentioned, and a quick search turned up nothing, so here's The Hardest Platformer Ever

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

What the gently caress is a gosu.

Either a programming language, a card game or a Starcraft 2 player.

If it's supposed to be a designation for really hard platformers I've never heard of it before.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Prosthetic_Mind posted:

The Pebble project is on the verge of breaking 10 million, looks like we have a new record on our hands.

They're past 10 million. And completely out of stock according to the reward bar :psyduck:

And here I was thinking Double Fine's record was never going to be topped.

Edit: At this point, I would just want to invest in Kickstarter proper. Must be a very odd feeling raking in that much money after just hosting indie games and hotdog carts for a while.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Yodzilla posted:

Denver would only be good if they managed to rope this thing into the story:

(i voted Berlin)

So did I. It's one of the cities we haven't really visited in any capacity, at least in terms of Console/PC games.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So EA will be waiving fees for Kickstarter games? Neat, I suppose. Considering how sparse Origin is they'll probably need it.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Well, it works for making people aware they can actually still pledge. For some people it might feel like this has been going on forever.

I just realized that with this KS done soon, I won't have any to back that I really want to see completed besides Dead State. Tex Murphy is already a sure thing (and I never actually played any of the games despite now owning them on GoG), so what's there left to back?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

seorin posted:

This ranks pretty high up on the list of things that make me embarrassed to be a gamer. It's like shining a light behind your fridge to discover a bunch of cockroaches, only instead of scattering they start lunging at you and crawling up your pants leg. I can't up my donation more than I already have, and I'm not sure how much good it would do anyway, but drat if I don't want to donate more anyway just because of this bullshit. I'm sure I'm not the only one thinking that, either. These trolls are apparently completely unfamiliar with the Streisand effect.

And now we're up to 1100 percent. Considering how much funding comes in within the last few hours, what're the odds she might hit upwards of 13 or 1400?

Even though I still can't really afford it, I added a little bit to the pile.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

NINbuntu 64 posted:

More and more people finding out about all the people who threatened to rape her and the media coverage that came from that.

edit: and it's past 100K.

Looks like my prediction was way off. By about 400 percent from the original goal even. My first failed one yet :(

At this rate it isn't impossible she'll hit 2000 percent or more.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

While this does fit the bill for a terrible kickstarter, I felt I could add it here because it is completely baffling :psyduck: .

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1537889393/berathen-spirit-detective

Also known as the kickstarter with a 50 dollar funding goal that uses an intro page from RPGmaker made in about 20 seconds.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Mordaedil posted:

Why the gently caress did anyone spend even a single dollar on this? This is bizarre.

Could just be a less than elaborate way of shifting funds around as an experiment. Or a joke project made to make fun of RPG-maker games?

Edit: Hoping this hasn't been posted yet, but to wash away the taste of an awful kickstarter here's a project made by the Pinball Arcade guys

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Jun 15, 2012

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

What exactly is keeping the money away from Shadowrun Online? Is it just some massive scam or are people being mindful because the thing is being developed by the Jagged Alliance online guys?

Edit:vvvv Too bad. From the looks of things, while the Online variant isn't looking stellar, it also isn't half-bad from the prototype stuff they've shown. Though that is a bit early to tell from at this stage.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 15:22 on Aug 3, 2012

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

You know that feeling when something profoundly evil is about to take place and you just can't stop it?

This is that feeling.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Quest For Glory II posted:

At least they're consistent. Wouldn't be a Broken Sword without lovely voice acting.

If we ever see a Runaway Kickstarter I hope one of the bulletpoints is "Don't worry, the art will still be terrible."

We need a Hopkins FBI 2 kickstarter and we need it now.

Already backed Broken Sword even tho I have literally no money to spend. We'll see how that pans out in the coming days when I actually get some wages in.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Renoistic posted:

This will be the last post I write about Project Giana until it's done, promise! They have 7 days left, missing about a third of their goal, and have just

RELEASED A DEMO

Give it a try if you have even the slightest interest in a new platformer!

Apparently there was some problem with Win XP so if you're still using it make sure to download the patch on the same page.

EDIT: It has some rough edges but the gameplay itself is pretty great actually. The first demo stage is really simple but in the second one you need to shift constantly between the sisters to survive and/or get all the gems. The stages also have multiple paths which is really nice.

Yep, it's a nice little platformer and I'm glad I threw some money at them. Can't really up my pledge more than I have however, so let's hope this gets funded proper.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Alkanos posted:

From the comments rope kid (Josh Sawyer) made in the other thread, it seems like they weren't sure the campaign would even make the goal. So they're probably a little surprised that they hit it in 24 hours. I'll bet they're a bit overwhelmed right now.

It's true, Kickstarter can be a fickle moneybag at times. Not to mention their stated goal was set on the more realistic side of things. I imagine they thought, at best, that with all the other kickstarters hoovering up people's money at the same time, they'd only manage to hit their goal two weeks or more into the thing. Which would explain why information about the stretch goals seems a bit sparse and haphazard compared to the rest of their main starter page.

Would be really interesting to see a summary of how people reacted at the studios during all this (as seen with the DF kickstarter) though. And not just after the fact, like with rope kid's excellent singing. I'm sure that'd also spur some more investments/donations.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Infinitum posted:

Sooooooooo 3D Realms are trying to get funding for a new game via a kickstarter style site called Gambitious.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-09-25-3d-realms-returns-with-post-apocalyptic-fps-earth-no-more-on-new-crowdfunding-site-gambitious

"As for Gambitious, the major difference between it and established rival Kickstarter is its ability to buy equity to fund projects, in addition to the more straightforward donation model."

This is going to be hilarious.

I also found that site via the improbable 3D Realms thing, but the idea behind the site is interesting. I was just wondering how serious it actually is? Have they had any successful projects yet, and have any SA members registered? It feels a bit odd that they'd want to use social site logins to access their site, but maybe that's to get people actually contributing faster? If it does work and isn't sketchy, I could actually get behind this.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Scorchy posted:

Fargoal 2 made it with $50,161. Skin of the teeth!

There was barely one and a half minute left in the kickstarter as it hit its goal. I hope that after fees that's still enough for what they needed.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cosmic Afro posted:

Beat me to it. Slammed down 20 right away when I heard about it. And I told myself that Project Eternity was my last kickstarter. I guess I lied.

It's like you took the words right out of my mouth. I was coming to post this and found I'd just missed the mark. Put down 50 after the Obsidian one as I just got sent basically that amount by my brother to pay an earlier debt. All out of money for backing after that.

Edit: The average backing amount right now is almost 90 bucks per person.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Oct 19, 2012

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Cosmic Afro posted:

Like many developers at the time, Quest for Glory's world was apparently their D&D campaign world. I don't think they'll have much issues to reach their goal: they seem to be doing well so far.

At least I really hope they wont have trouble. I want to see this game happen, now.

I'm one of those people who never played the original games before I grew older. Still haven't because the endless mazes in 2 gave me a headache and I never got the upgraded version. But I still want to see what they can cook up these days, and so I'm spreading this around to most everyone I know.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Holy crap, that was insanely fast.

Well they were pretty close to release already, all they needed the money for was to polish the game up and finish some levels. And maybe a bit of marketing.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Well I'm glad that people apparently aren't tolerating the double dipping much. $306 in the first 30 or so hours for FleetCOMM's second run. Bionite Origins is getting an equally abysmal amount of pledges. Creating a second kickstarter while your game is still in development only serves to embarrass. I know it's ostensibly for added content and ports, but I'm not sure how much I buy that. And the more times you have to go back to kickstarter before actually delivering a product, the scummier you look.

For Shadows of Esteren, it seems like their new kickstarter campaign is at least for a new project. Their previous one already shipped, as far as I can tell. I do wish they'd try to make a better effort to sell their products outside of kickstarter instead of relying on Kickstarter as the sole source of revenue. I always thought Kickstarter was, well, for kickstarting. It's not a permanent business solution, but a way to get your business started.

Maybe. On the one hand, I can see why people would get to wondering why they have to constantly fund these guys if they've successfully started selling their game, but on the other some absolutely great games sometimes don't sell very well because of tough markets or because it is a very difficult genre to get the general public interested in. Not to mention the massive outpouring of money to some kickstarters might mean there aren't as many people to actually buy the game at launch.

A lot of kickstarter games are ones that are part of either a (presumed to be) dying breed or ones that can't compete with regular blockbusters for cash. So you might be inclined to hand over up to 4-5 times as much as you would for a normal game in pledges just to see another game like it actually make it to the market. But the people who then end up buying it afterwards probably wouldn't, so you might see very little money actually available to make sequels. At least, that's a possibility, since we haven't had that many actual games come out yet to test that idea out yet. Besides possibly FTL, which sold amazingly well, or so I hear. Which I hope is the actual result of most kickstarters who get funded :)

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 10:17 on Oct 29, 2012

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So there's now also a kickstarter for an Outpost-esque game by Simon Roth, who I guess is a semi-big deal with indie gamers? I wouldn't know anything about that, but it sure does look good.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1438429768/maia

I didn't miss this one already being posted, right?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Quarex posted:

Yeah, there is plenty to find worrying about Hero-U, but their entirely reasonable points that computer games have still not begun to approach the infinite variability that a human Dungeon Master could bring to a game in the 1970s is entirely accurate. I have no idea how this is a controversial statement. A computer game as we currently conceptualize it cannot completely change the game based on the capricious decisions of the player, whereas a tabletop role-playing campaign could change its entire rule-system half-way through if the players decided they did not like the current one.

It would be like the dream of playing Grand Theft Auto and being able to enter one neighborhood and play Thief instead, or to hop in an airplane and fly off to World War II Britain. It is theoretically conceivable that a game can get to the point that it can be anything you want it to be, but saying we are not there yet is entirely true.

Well, they haven't said anything awful enough to make me want to pull my pledge yet. And honestly at this point I think they're just saying whatever they think will pull in any money at all.

We'll see what they eventually come up with if they manage to scrounge up enough late backers, I suppose. I've wasted money on worse pitches!

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

MadJackMcJack posted:

PEW PEW! PEW! PEWPEWPEWPEW! FWOOOOOSH......BOOM!

Basically, it's a goddamned space sim, which are pretty rare these days. And I need my hot laser death fix. Plus it looks damed pretty, polyvoxels be damned.

I admit, I'd be happy just seeing a new Freelancer-like game with some greater ability to change stuff (mostly by blowing up stations/warships or flooding the market with cheap goods)

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Jedit posted:

Wing Commander IV, Strike Commander, arguably Freelancer, and if you want to go back far enough, Bad Blood.

More importantly, when Roberts launched Digital Anvil he announced four projects. Two of them were canned, and a third - Freelancer again - turned up three years late without all the promised features.

I'm curious, just what were those initial promises? Pretty much what this kickstarter is trying to put out or what?

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Orikaeshigitae posted:

I'm curious about something.

Readers of this thread, are you tired of game Kickstarters in general, a particular kind of game pitch, or are you just as fresh and ready to pledge as you ever were?

Well, I'd love to pledge more, especially to pitches that really appeal to me. But what with having pledged so much already these last few months, most of my reserves are gone, and I have to worry about making money again for the next month at the very least.

I'd say I could start pledging properly again sometime after Christmas, where most of my funds will hopefully be spent getting presents/donating to worthy causes.

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Shorter Than Some posted:

I'm not sure what your point is here or how it's supposed to be relevant to kick-starters but this is patently false. Most charities admin costs are far far lower than 70%. Red cross is I believe around 5%, Oxfam is 10% admin 7% fundraising. Good admin is important for a charity because it helps the money get to where it is needed but if any charity spends 70% on admin there is something very very wrong.

Maybe they're referencing that one charity Sean Hannity was working with that was essentially propping up his show and funding his travels across America.

And yeah, it was a bit obvious that very pointed question was a sort of informal survey. I didn't mind, because it meant I could possibly help a KS or two steer away from making a bad decision, and it might save my wallet for the next few months if my willpower gives out.

I certainly hope Hero-U starts pushing past the goal, because I might have to lower my pledge by about 20 bucks at least to make sure I don't end up with a negative amount in my bankaccount come next Tuesday.

Edit: vvvvv Nope. Having backed over 100 projects isn't enough, I have to hit that 1000 pledge sweetspot.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 18, 2012

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Shalinor posted:

:crossarms: "Do you... Do you really think this one will succeed? I don't see gameplay footage he-"
:v:"No, no this one will be good. I know the guy. Well, I bought his game."
:crossarms: "and is long ago was that?"
:v: "we'll, it's been 10 years, but I figu-"
:crossarms: "do you think we can defund this one? Let's defund this one."

... though the OUYA thread is already doing a fine job of that, all on its own. It seems to have broken many a serial kickstarter.

Man, you can't have me cancel my pledges! These people need me! Can't you see that ? :smith: They just want my support, I'm not a bad guy. I just wanna spend inordinate amounts of money on wild chances at seeing my childhood again :(

In all seriousness, I usually go over my economy well enough in advance that I'll know how much I can afford to lose each month. Usually. Worst case scenario I'll just have to try and convince everyone that owes me money that random game developers they've never heard of needs the cash more than they do.

Edit: vvvv Actually what's probably going to happen is I'll use the money to back something like what SA did last year, supporting a Haitian school and donating to Japan after that earthquake struck. I'm only partially serious when I say I'm addicted to Kickstarting. Partially.

evilmiera fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Nov 18, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

AllanGordon posted:

Is there a good list anywhere of successfully funded kickstarters and maybe dates when they released their games?

Would be kind of interesting I think.

Bit early for that I think. Many of these are still in beta/alpha form, and off the top of my head I can only remember at most 3 games that are playable yet. Then again I only obsess about games I've backed, so I've probably missed some.