Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Pocket Rockers! I got one of these like a year or two after the fad had already died down, at a Toy Liquidators store. The only two tapes I had were La Bamba (plus whatever the B-Side was) and a tape with Beach Boys songs. Didn't really use it much, but for whatever reason I thought the idea was cool, and the art design was 90's As gently caress.

Looking back, the assortment of music was a little odd. There were some classic pop/rock standards, but then they had stuff like Phil Collins. What kid didn't want to play Sussudio on an endless loop for all their friends?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Rocketlex posted:

You're thinking of these wonderful things...

:stare:

I completely forgot about those! I used to love taking the twist off tops, putting them in my mouth with the top facing out like a rocket, and then shooting them out of my mouth.

...what?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

magic pantaloons posted:

This whole blog:

http://fuckyeahugly90sclothes.tumblr.com/

So at what point in the 90's were girls dressing like Jodie Foster in Taxi Driver? I swear I don't recall that fad.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Kikka posted:

Someone should write an algorithm that creates the most 90's phrases imaginable, like "Booger Burgers" or "Yak-Tastic!".
I wonder why the 90's were so obsessed with gross/out-there humor.

You just reminded me of this cherished childhood toy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLCCZrX3uao

It even had that garish 90's look where everything's all askew and candy-colored. Sadly, I found my Grossinator a while back in a box of old junk, and a battery had leaked into it. I couldn't even get it to work when I cleaned it up and put fresh batteries in.

I felt like a revolting... gross... nnnbooger.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Johnny Cage, the 90s-est videogame character:

I remember when I was an impressionable (dumb) kid, I entered a videogame magazine's contest to "Win Johnny Cage's Leather Jacket!". As far as I know, Johnny Cage has never worn a jacket in a single Mortal Kombat game.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

This song. This loving song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJrCkB9zzEo

Try and sing along, without looking the lyrics up.

And in a similar alternative vein:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3qVPNONdF58

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

On the subject of Macs, didn't anybody else's school's Macs have "Flying Colors" installed? It was like a slightly-more-robust Mario Paint, and 90's as gently caress.

It's also still for sale: http://www.magicmouse.com/h_flyingc.html

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

psydude posted:

The Spin Doctors were the 90sest band of all time:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXWbMu4PtpE

I never really payed any attention whatsoever to the Spin Doctors when they were popular (because "Two Princes" was loving obnoxious even to adolescent me), but goddamn... that guy has the most punchable face I've seen in a long time.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Libandano Urfam posted:

I could see glimpses of this other world. It was triangular and colorful. It was brash and silly, and I was sorry I never got to see more of it.

I've always liked the "real" music from the 90s. It's the soundtrack I wish that I had actually had.

:smith: This. This is the saddest post.

As a consolation, here, have this autographed picture of Pauly Shore:

You... you've earned it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

So you want to wander around in a universe made completely out of the internet circa late-1990's? Worlds.com has you covered!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HBNDa4y3pSo

It's still active. It's still loving active, and I don't know why. But part of me is glad it is.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

RillAkBea posted:

I remember in my school a lot of kids weren't allowed to watch Power Rangers because it would turn you into a karate master and you would kick your mum, or something. Nevertheless it was still 'cool' which led a lot of people to feign knowledge of the series.

I actually didn't watch Power Rangers because even as a kid I had zero interest in it, so my way of feigning interest was half-heartedly buying some Power Rangers swag and then just tossing it in a box of junk when I got bored with it. Didn't even bother to show it off to anybody at school.

I think I tried to watch an episode of it once, and I realized it was horrible.

Anyway, did anybody else have either one of these?:

I can't believe that I, the people that made it, or anybody else on the planet could've possibly believed that "Body Rap" was a cool idea. I mean loving looking at that guy on the box.

Also I like Hit Stix guy's leather fingerless gloves and two wristwatches.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Zombie Rasputin posted:

Holy god I need one now.

I actually threw mine away, because it'd been in storage for over a decade and the circuits were completely dead. I kind of regret it now because there's not a single one of them on eBay.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Psimitry posted:

He'll always be the kid from Dutch to me.

He was the kid from Dutch to me too, until he became forever known as Mr. Papagiorgio.

Anyway, this show was 90's as gently caress:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNXB93FZbvY

I don't think I ever really "liked" it, but when I was a kid I'd have it on in my room because Nickelodeon!... that's all that mattered. If it was on Nickelodeon I'd watch the poo poo out of it, no matter how awkward and bad it was in hindsight.

I mean yeah, I watched genuinely good Nick shows too, like Pete & Pete, Ren & Stimpy, etc., but occasionally I'd have poo poo like Roundhouse on for lack of anything better to watch in the daytime.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Dirk Digglet posted:

This too. I'm not exactly sure why but the set/lighting of this show fascinate me to this day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7QvOKFm3wg

I never watched Beakman's World when I was a kid but holy poo poo, that guy is like Dr. Clayton Forrestor's Good Twin. Even the set decoration looks like the inside of Deep 13.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

So I found this magical thing today in a box of old CDs. Which is exciting.

Itunes/the back of the CD tells me it's from 1997. No idea where/why I got this, although the dog's collar suggests Toys R Us might have something to do with it. I'm almost positive I didn't buy it, but I was a dumb 8 year old so I can't be sure. I might post a trip report later because I have a feeling this is going to be good.

I also found an errant Pure Moods CD and imported it. Not too shabby. God I love me some 90s New Age music.

Matthew Sweet and Splendora are the only two names on there I recognize, and I only know Splendora because they did the Daria theme.

The 90's are an endless source of almost completely-unknown Alternative Rock artists. I need to dig around in my lingering boxes of Old poo poo to see if I can find some of the random AltRock CDs I used to listen to, full of artists nobody's heard of.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Ringo Star Get posted:

That picture does it no justice. The actual video of the show is just so drat creepy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4__NWrfejTg

It's pretty funny (and telling) that Everything Is Terrible left the video pretty much unaltered, and didn't try all that hard to make it any creepier. Probably because there's very little you could do to make Psalty any more creepy.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

I remember this television advertisement for some anonymous love songs compilation. It was one of those ones which featured part of the tracklist scrolling up the screen, with a sampling of music video clips which were listed in a different text colour on said list. You know the sort I mean?

I hate those. There was one for some kind of 80's or 90's mix CD, and occasionally the cobbled-together cross-faded mix would pop into my head as one song. I don't even remember the name of the mix or what was on it today, but that ad was on TV constantly. Every other commercial break you'd hear something like Right Said Fred melded together with Marky Mark melded together with Ace of Base... and so on.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

SnakePlissken posted:

Oh, and Meat Puppet was awesome too.

That was just reminding me of the stream of top-down, isometric, violent shoot-em-ups that came out in the mid-90's, like Loaded and its sequel Re-Loaded (featuring the musical stylings of Pop Will Eat Itself).

Now that I think of it, I may still have both of those games laying around somewhere. Might have to go storage diving.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

kimbo305 posted:

There was some Rocket Jockey style game where you flew around in an arena and fought ... monsters?
I remember watching a preview of this game, and one of the monsters was cleverly called a Shreddy Bear -- a toy bear with big claws.
And I unironically thought, "wow, that is so edgy."

I'd never heard of Rocket Jockey, so I looked it up... and of course the logo is a flaming skull with an 8-Ball for a forehead. Man, that would've made such an awesome POG, right alongside my weed-smoking alien and OJ Simpson behind bars POGs.

I bet that skull is fueled by POISON.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

m2pt5 posted:

I suppose they're still sold and used, but this just screams 90's to me:

I remember getting one of these instead of a Talkboy... and actually being excited about it. I used the hell out of that tape recorder, mostly recording my favorite lines from TV shows to play them back later in school, everything from as far back as Beavis and Butt-Head to as recent as South Park. I even had it confiscated several times by teachers. For some reason I also recorded random songs I liked at the time and kept them on those tiny cassettes, like miniature mix tapes (of really bad music).

It's funny that about a year after I got my Not-Talkboy, I got an actual licensed Talkboy for Christmas, and I never used the thing. Ever. Not that I wasn't excited about getting it, it was just that the excitement was more about the fact that it was in that movie and not so much about the thing itself. Those little tape recorders with their little cassettes were so much cooler.

Then later I watched Twin Peaks and it made my little recorder even cooler still. I still have the thing laying around, but I've retired it.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Rack posted:

Same guy also did one for Breaking Bad. It's uncanny.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFjsOZDjnJA

edit - And Walking Dead.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C6tE4Mblks

Goddamn, they even captured the ghosting and RGB offsetting of a lovely 90's TV. And I absolutely love the song choice for Breaking Bad.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

I can't remember if it's been posted already, but here's a link to the Space Jam website, which is still up seventeen years later.

Oh my god, the "Games" page actually told me to update Shockwave. It's like it's 1998 all over again.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

B.H. Facials posted:

The MD stands for Mogen David and it does or at least did sport a gold chain that said "Bling" on the bottle. That stuff was the worst.

I can't believe after reading about MD 20/20 in this very thread, I went out and bought a bottle yesterday because it was cheap and I wanted to get drunk. I completely forgot that people were talking about it here... lesson learned, I guess?

It tastes like if someone put toilet bowl cleaner in a batch of bottom-rung, cheap grape wine. I bought "Kiwi Citrus" and it tasted like neither kiwi, nor citrus, and I'm sure every "flavor" is exactly the same. I wound up just putting a bunch of lime juice in with each glass and it at least made it palatable.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Guy Axlerod posted:

Ha, smoking indoors.

I remember McCurdy's, but I never went to the midtown store, only the Irondequoit store.

Hell, Irondequoit mall was pretty 90's itself. Opened in 1990, was dead by 2000.

More pictures

Those lights, the railings, the tile, the glass elevator. When I think of 90's public architecture, that's what I think of.

e: I was feeling nostalgic, and was looking at more pictures, and found this:

This is the Freehold Raceway Mall; Freehold, New Jersey. It was built by the same developers, and I spent way too much time trying to remember if there was ever a Haagen Dazs in Irondequoit.

I have a small, one-story mall pretty close to me which was built in the 90's and it looks so much like that. Everything is mostly blue or blue-green, gray and white, the beams and everything are really similar. It's somehow still in business despite the fact that the few times I go to it, every now and then, nobody is there. At any given time there's like a dozen people walking the mall, and the clerks just sit around inside unoccupied stores. I'm not sure that they changed the mall's logo since the 90's, either.

Here's a good illustration of the architecture and color scheme:

The mall opened sometime around 1991 or 1992. I can picture some punk teenager with a hot-pink ball cap on backwards and a denim jacket skateboarding right through that food court. Also that picture was taken from just outside the former location of the arcade, where I spent my younger years playing Mortal Kombat and Revolution X (Aerosmith!).

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Tyson Tomko posted:

I think of the Boney theme way too often and maybe 1 in 1,000,000 people know what I'm talking about so right on.

It's funny that I never really watched that show (as in, never a complete episode from start to finish) and yet I remember that song to this day.

I'm Boney, I'm Boney! Leave me aloooone-y!

Also the Stick Stickley address jingle.

Write to me, Stick Stickley, PO Box 963. New York City, New York State, 10108!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Hell yes, if I'm remembering correctly I got Muckoid, Sewerbat and.... Sparkler :geno:

The good guys were so much lamer than the bad guys, but I guess that applies to every toy line from the 80's/90's.

ed: Also Skuzbeast! How could I forget Skuzbeast?

• Locked thread