Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

pageerror404 posted:

My favorite childhood toy of all time. Behold of the wonder of the Power Rangers action figures with flip-heads!

You press their belt and their chest opens up and it flips between normal faces to their helmets.

I hated these things, even as a kid. Why not just make not-retarded proportion figures and give them removable helmets? It's not like the button turns them plainclothes or something. So much toy-rage.

PS who was the genius that made it so there was NEVER a proper Green or White ranger power coin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Rahonavis posted:

You must have loved the hell out of the Transformers Animorphs line.

Never was into those, but I suppose I was into Transformers, where they would go from robot to car and back or whatever. Perhaps that a contributing factor.

The best Power Ranger toys were the big 8 inch figures, I don't know why they ever stopped making those. Do you want a tiny rear end Gi Joe or this HUGE GODDAMN POWER RANGER HOLY poo poo! Plus the 8 inch rangers, the robot, and the monsters were all close to scale, so your monsters worked for both VS Ranger fighting and VS. Robot fighting. Why would they ever deviate from this? I'm mad about Ranger toys.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Wandering Knitter posted:

I remembered that I had to order the first Slayers tape from some weird sketchy magazine because it was the only way to get anime back then.

Unless you watched the Saturday Morning Japanimation Domination on the Sci Fi channel! :black101:

God I think I've seen Project A-ko a few thousand times thanks to that.

I've got a VHS recording of much of the anime weekend hosted by Bakshi still to this day. A-ko is pretty much the first thing I watched knowing it was anime. I watched Voltron and Ronin Warriors years before, not really putting together the whole "import" thing. Good times.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Regarding the Saturday morning chat above, I remembering having a love/hate relationship with MST3K's time slot. on one hand, I loving love MST3k. On the other hand, I had to wake up early on Saturday.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

nuts_rice posted:

Okay, looked it up. Pokemon Snap was released in 1999. Anyways, every Blockbuster had one of those printers that was a total gimmick

Man I had a bunch of those low def prints of virtual characters that were already on my N64.

We actually still have parts of one of those machines in the house somewhere, I think. Family member worked a rental store that had one, and he either bought it off them after the promotion or they just let him take it home, not sure which.

But hey, a TV, an N64, and a thermal printer :woop:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

metalhead librarian posted:

Who remembers In Living Color? This was a sketch comedy show in the vein of Saturday Night Live that aired from 1990 to 1994.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Living_Color

http://youtu.be/MSO54NSiGiI has the theme song.

I remember watching this at night with my mom.

Weird, I also watched that with my mom. That, and reruns of Adam West Batman.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Something that feels 90s as hell for me are these drat things:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QAeV-AWBCKI

Call some string of numbers to save money on calling the number you actually want to call, somehow. Wikipedia has an article about this one. There were tons of these though, I seem to recall Mr. T doing one as well.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

bobkatt013 posted:

Something an 80s kid will never forget

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z0mx9dO3BxI

Because this isn't too widely known about.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Pope Guilty posted:

So were they awesome?

I had them too. Their awesomeness is debatable but they had their uses. Mostly for "clothes" and walls and poo poo for action figure use. They seemed to advertise themselves as being better than Lego, which is clearly a lie. I don't know how I talked my Grandparents into getting me so many, they must have gotten a deal on em somehow, because I seem to remember having way more of the drat things that I had any particular use for.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Obviously because of the blast processing! :hurr:

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Virtual Rape isn't too far fetched of a potential internet problem. Within I don't know, a decade? teledildonic devices will probably be cheap and semi-common. Some people will probably be weird/lazy and wear them all the time. Then someone could hack your poo poo and force your vibrator on for hours or whatever.

I just wanted to say teledildonic.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

I WANTED THIS THING SO BAD. I had completely forgotten about it.

From your description, I thought it might be this other toy I have been trying forever to remember the name of. It was a black and green plastic thing with a vaguely gun-like shape, but bigger and much more rectangular. It had a couple different colored lasers inside that bounced off of a kinda spring-loaded mirror or something, which would make AWESOME :krad: DESIGNS on the wall in all different colors. I swear to god I didn't dream it up, but it's been like 20 years and I never could find any info on it.

Who all remembers String Thing?

I loved String Thing.

This one? http://www.retrojunk.com/commercial/show/24831/nickelodeon-laser-light

I think I had it. I don't remember it being all that super awesome.

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

QuickbreathFinisher posted:

Wow. 6 minutes was all it took to solve a lifetime of wondering. You're beautiful.

And yeah, I was probably five, so pretty lights were all I needed to be entertained. :downs: That is not a very cool toy.

Glad to be of help. Poorly remembered things your brain won't let you just forget are the worst.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

1000 Brown M and Ms posted:

I have a request for this thread.

When I was 5 or 6, so early 90's, I had a toy that I loved but it's long since been thrown out and I can't find any trace of it on the internet. It was a toy where you build robots that are piloted by little yellow men out of modular parts that you can reassemble any way you like, a little like a cross between Zoids and Lego. I had a smaller one and it was a bipedal robot with a shovel and a drill for arms. It was black, green and orange. I don't remember the name or if there was any associated cartoon, but I remember that the packaging was a lot fancier than a typical Chinese knockoff toy so I think they were at least somewhat popular. There was a big picture on the back of some of the other kits in a scifi base/factory setting.

Does anyone have any idea what I'm talking about? My Google-fu is failing me on this one.

My best guess: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Incredible_Crash_Dummies

• Locked thread