Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
King Arthur and the Knights of Justice
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxzO07adAt0

Tiny Toon Adventures: One Beer
Kind of a mini-PSA that got BANNED FROM TV!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

VoilaIntruder posted:

The Starship Troopers film is cynical, rad, and one of the more prescient products of late 90's cinema. I like Roughnecks too, but for very different reasons.

I had to look up the intro for the Beethoven and apparently Verhoeven was the executive producer. Makes me wonder if it was as subversive as the movie or if he just signed off for a check.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Rahonavis posted:

Ooh, that looks so familiar! What is it?

McGee and Me. I remember trying to avoid it as a kid because, even though I was brought up religious, it was Christian propaganda and I didn't want to seem uncool.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wandering Knitter posted:

Every weekend during the summer as a child I would go visit my cousins and marvel at their early 90's computer. They even had video games on their computer! We would sit together in their musty basement pouring over their extensive puzzle/adventure game library in an attempt to beat them all. So let me just take a moment to say

gently caress that King, gently caress that yeti, AND gently caress THAT loving PIE! :argh:

I think you mean to say, 'gently caress Roberta Williams' crazy rear end idea of logic.'

I think I dropped $40-$50 of my little kid money on that pile of poo poo only to spend a lot of time wandering around in a desert. It came with a cheat sheet guide that had that red see-through plastic overlay that let you read the answers to her nonsensical puzzles but I must have thrown it out so as to better enjoy the masterpiece. I should have gone with Indiana Jones and the Infernal Machine or something.

Pictured, an utterly terrible game designer:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

korusan posted:

My mother reminded me of Sailor Moon today.

Were it, Dragon Ball, and Pokemon the first three animes to wash ashore in the West? Because they brought a loving tidal wave that leaves us swamped to this day.

I thought Robotech came first. I never saw it but some relative bought me some footy pajamas that had sweet looking robots on it that are probably now one of my oldest concrete memories (that family members don't have to remind me about.) The funny thing about the anecdotes that get repeated is that while I have no memory of the events themselves I have many many memories of my family reminding me about it. The Robotech PJs are just something I personally remember from being very wee.

And come to think of it, Speed Racer was shown in the US a really long time ago.

Here's a nice list.

Edit: kinda beaten.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

UnculturedSwine posted:

Ohh man, I used to watch The Box all the time. I remember they played all kinds of hip hop and dance videos. They even played Barbie Girl before it hit MTV. Good times. Thanks for reminding me! And that video is pretty awesome.

I remember seeing Natural Born Killaz (not related to the movie, btw) on the Box. They broadcast it on UHF so it was like a peek into the magical world of cable and hardcore gangsta' rap. :slick:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mustachioed menace posted:

When Mtv was great
The Maxx.
http://youtu.be/CGw0-gLZaMA

The Maxx is awesome.

And MTV did the right thing and re-hosted it better than the tubes.

http://www.mtv.com/shows/the_maxx/video.jhtml

Not 100% that's the best source but, either way, if you haven't seen it :350: and watch that poo poo.

And if you have seen it, it's better than you remember, cuz that was a long rear end time ago.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Puttblug posted:

Does anyone remember a lab set that was used to make really nasty food?

It was kind of like an easy bake oven for boys to make gross treats, like flavored warts and other nasty crap.

I could have sworn is was called something like "Dr. Strange" but Google isn't coming up with anything.

Probably Dr. Dreadful.

http://www.doctordreadful.com/

e:fb

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Whispering Machines posted:

Aghhhh what wizardry is this with the links

Sneaker Pimps "Spin Spin Sugar"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UjBwe6IL10o

I love the Sneaker Pimps and this super campy hypercolorful late nineties video. I wish Chris Corner was still this ridiculous.

6 Underground is still on my playlist. So drat good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJSYzBqA9RA

Portishead (and everything Beth Gibbons did/still does) is also some prime 90s.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwWMhjD1VyY

Although I think we might be getting away from camp at this point. Might as well put Tool, NIN, Radiohead and Ween in here, maybe some Nirvana.

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 03:29 on May 22, 2012

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Cruis'n USA isn't a Sega game so I'm not sure if you meant that, but it definitely is a 90s racing game and the soundtrack has a lot of "Woo! Uh!" going on, so it was the first thing I thought of when I read this post.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sp51Uhf0GOU

The "USA" in a racing game reminded me of another terrible musical atrocity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gx7nRk6IDqE

Daytona USA.

Let's go away... from this part of the arcade because this track loops on a giant rear end sit-down set up with a huge monitor and speakers and just blares DAYTONA LET'S GO AWAY over and over and...

Just listen to it.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Mixed Doubles posted:

Because of these commercials, there are still songs that make me jump when they keep going instead of turning into the next song on the commercial.

Ditto, I've got a few seconds of Hooked on a Feeling linked up with Afternoon Delight leading in to Smoke on the Water and so on written deep deep in my mind somewhere. If I ever got Inceptioned everyone trying to steal my secret stuff would have to listen to an ad for Greatest Hits of the 70s slowed down 10x and they'd probably have to bail and cut their losses.

Or maybe they'd get accordian treatment a la Weird Al, iunno brains are weird.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYWvi4Y5soU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Harry posted:

Was that the one on Fox Sunday nights (or possibly Thursday nights)? I remember a sketch where he Lequizamo was a professional cock fight and he would actually box the giant chickens. Thought that was one of the funniest things ever.

I remember House of Buggin (vaguely) being really funny but the opening scenes of The Pest really made me fall in love with Lequizamo.

In a totally not gay way.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Psimitry posted:

You should check it out. I think it's on Netflix. Despite taking place in 1999, and we're a touch past that, it's a pretty decent movie.

Yeah, the sex scenes do get creepier as you go on so don't watch it with your parents this time.

Really phenomenal cast too.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

kukukachu posted:

Also... Did anyone else play The Lost Vikings.

I remember my brother and I playing the gently caress out of that game. Never realized that it was made by Blizzard.

Me and my brother played that too and because we mostly rented we of course had to get our money's worth and play it every waking moment for three straight days. Never quite finished it if I remember right.

Another Blizzard classic, BlackThorne:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WafqCyIwAWw

Basically Prince of Persia with guns and aliens instead of swords and dudes in robes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

I think it's pretty sad that, as that image loaded slowly on this slow internet connection, I knew that it was Darksaber as soon as the "from the best-selling author..." part loaded. I had a shitload of those between about 1993 and 1998.

This made made me chuckle a little.

quote:

I occasionally recommend the three Timothy Zahn books to other relatively geeky people who aren't Star Wars fans, because they're the only ones that hold up on their own as decent science fiction. If you feel up to it, try those out, then never read any of the other novels.

And agreedo. The only other ones I read were the X-Wing series which I didn't finish.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Non Serviam posted:

What's the name of these things? I really want to have one again.
I had a classmate in school who left one bounce from his face. Huge bruise for a week.

My first instinct was just "poppers" and google reverse image search suggests the same.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Omegaxisalphabeta posted:

The OST to that film is pretty loving awesome in and of itself.

It was one of the first CDs I ever bought. Along with the T2 soundtrack and :sigh: Kriss Kross.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22kS71iosP4

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kalos posted:

That's partially because whole game was basically just a simplified version of Magic: The Gathering, which already had (and still has) the entire market of collectible card game enthusiasts.

Plus pokemon was no exception to 90's obsession with "collectible" things that would be magically worth millions on some unspecified future date, so everybody was afraid of their cards not being in perfect condition (thus ensuring none of them will ever be worth anything). Everything from baseball cards clipped off the back of a cereal box to a lovely Mr T comic were HOLY poo poo COLLECTIBLE GET 30 OF THEM.

I remember I used to cut out all of the file cards from the backs of my G.I. Joe dolls and kept them all together. Had the Joes in a big rack that was intended to house different types of screws and fasteners and things in your garage each with all of their accessories neatly sorted for posterity.

If I had it to do over again I just would have bought and stored them in their original packaging to sell during the height of the dotcom bubble but they were fun to play with.

Not sure what I'll be doing with all my old baseball and basketball cards up in my parents' attic.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Hector Beerlioz posted:

In a smiliar vein:

That book could keep me entertained for hours.

Everything that guy wrote/illustrated was getting checked out of the library by me on a weekly basis.

Castle:

Underground:

Cathedral:

Apparently they made a PBS show out of Castle too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JGbPShUpjpg

Your mammoths may vary.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

CanceledTVShow posted:

What I remember most about Dunkaroos is that they always had a problem where there is only enough frosting for three of the six cookies in the tray. Sort of like how Lunchables never have an even ratio of crackers to slices of cheese and meat. :argh:

I like to imagine that it was to teach children about self-control but more likely it was to save cost and make it look like the nutritional content wasn't totally out of whack so they could market it as a healthy snack..

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Wanamingo posted:

I was at Goodwill the other day, and I saw this thing there. Sorry about the absurdly tiny picture, bit it's the only one I could find.

It's an N64 branded cassette player that has an AM/FM radio, built in earbuds, and has something to do with sports. I can't say I've ever associated built in earbuds with the 90's before, but now that I've seen this it seems like such a perfect match.

The only way I can make sense of this is to say that Sony had a Sports Walkman that I think was yellow and they were developing the CD drive for what would have been Nintendo's next console after the Super Nintendo Chalmers but instead decided to make the Playstation.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

M.Ciaster posted:

Man, this car doesn't even have a back seat. Did these guys even watch the movie? :v:

(also yes Last Action Hero is genuinely one of the best Schwarzenegger movies)

The part where he tries to punch through a car window was brilliant.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

m2pt5 posted:

Same in the US. I just posted about it in the obsolete tech thread, and as I said there, most people in the US are perfectly happy to trade security for convenience.

I think Benjamin Franklin had some words to say about this in the '90s.

The 1790's. Hah, heh.

Most likely he just said "Sell not virtue to purchase wealth, nor Liberty to purchase power." and that in '38 but he had some good ideas about dating older women and how to make efficient stoves and eyeglasses.

Back in the 1990s I believed that the US was a good place and worth fighting for.

And Airwalk sneakers were pretty awesome too.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kheldragar posted:

It's probably more of an early 2000's memory than a 90's one for some people, but this sound seriously brings me back; I don't know why I actually find pleasure in hearing it now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gsNaR6FRuO0

It was mid-90s for me and it was awesome every time I got online and could play Quakeworld or whatever dumb FPS I was into at the time.

For content, here is a dial-up stretched out to the point it sounds like whale music:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IF2v32xCD0Y

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Radio Help posted:

Here's one for the Portland goons: OMSI moving to the old Portland General Electric plant where it currently resides. I dunno why, but OMSI and the mid-90's are permanently intertwined in my mind. It is the quintessential 90's building to me, and has barely changed since it was built. I hope it never does.

My first (and only) planetarium experience was 1999 at OMSI in Eugene. It was laser Floyd and yes, yes we did. :weed:

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

El Estrago Bonito posted:

That wasn't OMSI, that's Wiztech (now The Science Factory). They still do the Pink Floyd show every once and a while.

:doh:

Yeah I guess I conflated it with Portland trips to OMSI when I was a kid.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Datasmurf posted:

Heh, I'm still wearing a lot of that 90s "fashion". Baggy clothes 4 evar, yo.

Or something like that.

I'm also sorry (?) to say that I recognized all of those (except Big Johnson), and went through most of it.

Big Johnson shirts were a Big Dealtm in high school until some teacher or principal or someone actually figured out :thejoke: (which was not much of a joke.)

Also other than microfiber shirts pretty much everything I wear is baggy. Still have a lot of flannel, for practical purposes, as well.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Darthemed posted:

Well, yeah; he was put into cryo-freeze in '96.

And Judge Dredd or whoever that short man in a weird cop suit was eventually taught to use the three seashells. Snipes would probably have just been so far in character (stoned out of his mind) that he would shout obscenities at the director until he got a another copy of the script and use that.

Thus proving that Blade is greater than Rocky.

"You wanna go for a jog with an old man on his bicycle? You ran up some steps? Have a little montage about how you're gonna beat up some guy no one can give a gently caress about? I'll be in my trailer getting bladzed."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Pope Guilty posted:

For some reason Christian teenagers in the 90's loved ska-punk. I have no idea why it was that specifically.

The olde timey feel soothed their paranoid overprotective parents regardless of the "message" of the lyrics and whether or not satan might be involved. Especially compared to rap or metal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uiYp8xKjLM

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Jehde posted:

I've been getting into MAME lately and revisiting all of my favourite games. Everyone knows the golden age of arcades as being in the 80s, but arcades in the 90s were something special. Especially the Midway games and Sega Model 2 games.

E: PYF rule #1 label your youtubs. This would be the original arcade soundtrack for Daytona USA as sung by some guy who would probably own you at karaoke but it's still amazingly terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlwxrdpuGtI

syscall girl has a new favorite as of 02:29 on Aug 13, 2013

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Lava Lamp posted:

I gagged a little bit upon seeing that and then thought of another "I can't believe I ate that as a kid" candy:

totally awesome to a kid, though that picture looks a little obscene.

Yeah the tip of the container couldn't be more phallic without that one bit that I can't think of and then got on wikipedia before quickly realizing I was an idiot for looking at a bunch of exhibitionists posing as encyclopedia makers. :cry:

On an semi-related note (to sugary crap from the nineties) I have a frozen otter pop chilling in my mini-fridge of questionable temperature and am going to the enjoy it shortly.

Wanamingo posted:

Hah, I remember that too. Between that and the bubble tape I think Hubba Bubba made the worst of the 90s candy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0yMbNWrjt4

But the best commercials.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Thwack! posted:

I remember one sick jerk in my old neighborhood taking a piss inside a SuperSoaker tank, and spraying it during a water fight. Thankfully, that guy got his just desserts by having his face getting beat down with a thick tree branch.

gently caress that guy.

Must have been a rough 'hood.

I had one of the more moderately sized SSs and then I got a dual-tank but my pride and joy was a battery operated Uzi (in bright pink or green or something) that made a sad *wah wah wah* sound as the motor cranked a sad series of streams but it came with non-staining* dye packs so the generally sweaty business of summer water fights wouldn't cover up how much damage you'd done to your friends.

*Just kidding, non-staining, yeah sure. One olde weird trick that pisses off every mom in a four block radius including your own.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Kilazar posted:

Ha! I think I had the M-16 version of that gun.

Was your uzi by chance one of these b(s)ad boys?
http://www.isoaker.com/articles/stock-water-blasters/inventor-profile-alan-amron

I'm not sure if that is my M16 but it's drat close. And I remember my dye being a sepperate package.

The only pic I could find on GIS was an AK-47 styled one but I couldn't find anything out about the dye. I just remember my Mom hating that stuff and I don't remember how much allowance saving I had to do to get one but I believe a lot of lawns got mowed for a ridiculous plastic Uzi that sprayed poo poo that would ruin mine and my friends clothes.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Currently watching Tank Girl.

Nominating for the most 90s movie in the history of ever.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

BobFossil posted:

>smash pumpkin ?

Best DooM cheat code: idspispopd (id smashing pumpkins into small piles of putrid debris.)

Slightly related, whoever made MDK claimed it didn't stand for Murder Death Kill but rather Massive Dollops of Ketchup.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Croccers posted:

Did anyone ever get any good at doing... well.... anything with Tech Decks?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F-ij_eZI3U

It was like this. Going so well... but on one of the sick drops into the pipe he... he just lost his nerve and then man you'd think a squirrel could survive a fall like a mofo but this one time... I burnt the only copy of the VHS and not like you kids these days burn a compact disc with your computer machines. On a pyre, with his little body. So still.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
I can't remember/search up the name of the guy with the skunk stripe in his hair who used to be on the TV Guide Channel when it was still a slow crawl of channel listings with some D-level content about celebrities or something but I saw him recently hosting some Ninja Warrior clone where people run through an obstacle course and get bashed by various padded things and fall into the mud.

Anybody remember that guy's name? It's making my brain itch.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Radio Help posted:

Considering the theme song is by Cake and there are constant Beck references, I'd say so.

MH is very post millennial and more about the older brother reminiscing about the 90s and sort of being stuck in them. His friends go on to have real careers and dental insurance while he's still spending his mattress sales job money on 40s and Bugles.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
My favorite part about the Crash Test Dummies was that the guy who voiced Larry was also Garfield, as well as Venkman on the Ghostbusters cartoon. He was so sarcastic. :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Doc Morbid posted:

Okay, just how much booze and cocaine led to the creation of this?

[in Edward Furlong voice] Uh... all of 'em, I think.

• Locked thread