Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Someone else earlier in the thread had success on rediscovering an old piece of 90s software, so I figure I might as well try and see if anyone remembers this program that's been bugging my nostalgia lately. I don't remember much of it, but it was a sort of graphical encyclopedia that focused on space exploration. I remember the main menu being a sort of library and you could go to the blackboard or something and cycle through significant dates in space exploration. One such article that's burned into my memory was about the cold war, and featured some EGA art of a multiple rocket launcher truck in a snowy forest, with some ominous Sound Blaster music to complete it.

As for content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjgqAB5xhOA

Everyone seems to have forgotten about this king of dapper after he made a few mediocre movies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

DoTheEvolution posted:

Not sure if this is it, but I remember playing around with this when I was a kid.

Orbits was a DOS program that had similar features to the one you explained, but I believe had more astronomy and less history.

Unfortunately this isn't it. Thank you very much for the attempt though! The program I'm talking about is more so Windows 95 era than DOS era. Orbits does look neat though. And you're right in that the program I'm thinking of focused more on history than scientific facts.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Jehde posted:

Someone else earlier in the thread had success on rediscovering an old piece of 90s software, so I figure I might as well try and see if anyone remembers this program that's been bugging my nostalgia lately. I don't remember much of it, but it was a sort of graphical encyclopedia that focused on space exploration. I remember the main menu being a sort of library and you could go to the blackboard or something and cycle through significant dates in space exploration. One such article that's burned into my memory was about the cold war, and featured some EGA art of a multiple rocket launcher truck in a snowy forest, with some ominous Sound Blaster music to complete it.

If anyone was interested in my search, I finally managed to find it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tS6AQ52Lfa0

Space Adventure, from the Knowledge Adventure series of software. Although the version I had was the CD-ROM version, not the Packard Bell version.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

Does anyone remember this Lego Technic line called "Slizers" (or, in America, "Throwbots")? They were kind of like a precursor to the more popular and longer-lasting Bionicle sets, except they had these disc-launcher arms attachments. I thought they were great.

I do now. :allears: I had quite a collection of them actually. Their "masks" were awesome.

EDIT: I even had this BA.

VVV Goddamnit. I could nostalgiagasm forever over Lego.

Jehde has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Jun 14, 2013

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I've been getting into MAME lately and revisiting all of my favourite games. Everyone knows the golden age of arcades as being in the 80s, but arcades in the 90s were something special. Especially the Midway games and Sega Model 2 games.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Metal Loaf posted:

I used to be pretty big into Star Wars and I used to be into PC games, and when the hype for Episode I was in full-swing, I played (but didn't get very far because I was rubbish) Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight.

Recently, I came across the cutscenes on YouTube, in all their cheesy late-nineties glory.

Jedi Knight is probably the defining game for me as a gamer. I always miss the freedom of movement that games used to give us, like injuring yourself from force running too fast into a wall or force jumping into a ceiling. The game seems to be made for speed running too.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

saganite posted:

Triumph of the Nerds, if you don't mind that it also covers the 70s/80s and doesn't really focus on gaming. It's quite enjoyable.

edit:

For a more purebred 90s documentary, try Nerds 2.0.1: Networking the Nerds by the same guy. It's about the rise of the internet and was made in 1998 - so it's pretty loving 90s.

Thank you for these, they're pretty entertaining. I'm watching the internet one and it's funny how right they were about the internet booming and evolving, and the bizarre concepts of the day like "internet years." :psyduck: It's also neat seeing internet giants of today back when they were start-ups in debt.

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

I remember all my friends on the street would ask their parents for trampolines and they'd only get those small indoor one person ones. When me and my siblings asked our parents, we got a massive one put in our yard and it became an attraction for all the kids of the neighbourhood.

I can't be the only one that put sprinklers under the trampoline too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

Technic was the poo poo.

• Locked thread