Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

karl fungus posted:

As someone who grew up in the 90s and kept seeing commercials referencing it, what exactly was space camp? Did it actually exist?

It was as close as a nerd could get to Heaven in Northern Alabama. I went the summer before fourth grade and had a blast. We experimented with 1/6g using a special counterbalanced chair, learned how to calculate density, and other cool stuff. They also let us run around the museum after hours which was awesome, since I loved the Space and Rocket Center.

My biggest bummer was that I was the Mission Scientist and therefore part of the ground crew during the simulated shuttle mission. I don't think I even went into the mocked up shuttle because I was a goddamned idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Dogdoo 8 posted:

What are you talking about? "Anti-boat" on google only gave me anti theft devices for yachts.

IIRC, "Boat people" is a [derogatory?] term for immigrants to Australia and other countries in the Oceana region.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Gorilla Salad posted:

Yeah, sadly the Australian government is desperately trying to recreate the concentration camp and a horrifying number of my fellow citizens are cheering them on to the point where our upcoming election will probably be decided on who can promise to inflict the most inhumane conditions on the tiny trickle of people who make their way here each year by boat trying to find a better life :(

I almost long for the day when the image people had of Australia was this:

If you want a picture of the future, imagine a croc stamping on a boat person's face — forevah.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

happyflurple posted:

Man I always wanted that as a kid but for some reason my parents wouldn't let me buy any

I had it at least once. It had a really strange mouthfeel, like cold flour, until it became a glob of lovely quality gum.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Frankston posted:

I had the xxp 175. Thing was rad, pressure gauge, dual tanks. No other kid on my block came close in water fights.

Then one day my friend 'accidently' dropped it and it never worked again. :argh:

When they first came out, my dad and I got a pair of SS100's, and I was so young I was too weak to pump it very much. Much later on, I had the CPS 2500 which owned bones. I think my parents still have it in their garage, I wonder if it still works.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

syscall girl posted:

Currently watching Tank Girl.

Nominating for the most 90s movie in the history of ever.

You've obviously never seen Hudson Hawk.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

oldpainless posted:

did you mean Hackers? I think you meant Hackers.

Hackers owns. I work "Hacking the Gibson" into casual conversation all the time. :colbert:

Metal Loaf posted:

I used to be pretty big into Star Wars and I used to be into PC games, and when the hype for Episode I was in full-swing, I played (but didn't get very far because I was rubbish) Star Wars: Dark Forces II: Jedi Knight.

Recently, I came across the cutscenes on YouTube, in all their cheesy late-nineties glory.

I played that game for a goddamned decade.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Pope Guilty posted:

Did somebody say 90's shareware games?

My buddy had this and we would play it all the time. We figured the goal was to get as much money as possible, so we would sell all of our starting gear and head into the castle with just a club and no armor.

We weren't very good at video games when we were 7. :saddowns:

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Pope Guilty posted:

One of my coworkers found a copy of this still in its shrinkwrap. It occupies a proud place in his cubicle.

In 2004 I was in the IT backroom of the software company where I work, and found four shrinkwrapped copies of Windows 95. They had been moved to a new building at least twice. I wonder if we still have those.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

judodo posted:

It's been a while since I've seen a bucket hat or surge but I'm sure people remember Surge had some sort of contest to win Surge merchandise. I won this and thought I lost it until I started doing some cleaning. I was going to pose it with a Duke Nukem mouse pad but it wouldn't retain its shaped so I'm wearing it for the picture.

Close up the thread. Nothing is more '90s than a Surge Bucket Hat.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

RockNRoll Jesus posted:

These were the poo poo. I had both that red car and the yellow one, and had a fantastic time slamming them into the walls and then analyzing the scene like some kind of dedicated toy detective.

Oh hell yes. I had this car as a kid, along with a plane and essentially a torture chair. They were amazing. I'm surprised they actually marketed the plane since what seems safe about hurling a collection of loosely attached plastic with the intention of pieces go flying everywhere?

It's amazing I never chose my sister as a target.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

It's super effective!

Triskelli posted:

Might be a little young for most goons, but does anybody remember Gullah Gullah Island?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-szmuT1P1I

I mostly remembered it as a discount Barney the Dinosaur, but later realized it was basically all about my hometown. I even went to high school with the youngest son in the show and acted in a few plays with him. It's just bizarre to think this show was shown across the country to show off Gullah and the Lowcountry.

I'm knocking on 30 myself and I remember this. I thought it was one of the more tolerable nick jr shows to watch when I was home sick from school. Much better than Barney :colbert:

• Locked thread