Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Mr. Heroes posted:

You weren't cool if you didn't have a pair of these

The pump is alive and well still, but you have to know where to look. One of the owners of the sneaker store that I go to buy higher end sneakers is the second biggest pump collector in the world. Whose number one you ask? Reebok of course.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Jonny Angel posted:

Also, I'm really surprised that either I missed any mention of it, or nobody's yet remembered WMAC Masters. I didn't have access to pro wrestling when I was between the ages of 5 and 7, but you better believe I watched this poo poo and was a complete mark. Like, I obviously knew that Power Rangers and whatnot were pretend, and sitcoms too, but WMAC Masters was REAL.

I totally forgot about this show until like last year because of the fact that my local fox affiliate started airing it as filler on Saturday mornings. It was awesome as all hell when it first aired. I was kind of annoyed when they got rid of Shannon Lee, daughter of Bruce Lee, what are you going to do. The story lines were good and that's all that mattered.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

hereyoume posted:

Speaking of obscure Disney shows, anyone watch Danger Bay? It was about a marine biologist, his two kids, and them fighting crime against ecological meanies.

The early days of the Disney Channel were a little weird at times, but then again it was pretty awesome at times. Stuff like Danger Bay (which was awesome and as I kid I loved it), Under the Umbrella Tree, and other things that aired during the day time were enough to keep my mind busy during day and when it switch over to Disney Nighttime, I knew that it was time to go to bed. The one thing that they broadcasted during the nighttime block was something called "The American Legacy," which I still can't confirm that it really did air because of the fact that I have yet to find any information that it exists. I also remeber that they aired a documentary about the 1992 summer games that probably aired in 1993 called "Barcelona 1993: 16 Days of Glory." I don't remember too much about it, but I do remember seeing clips of it during the day and one of the things was the indoor bicycle race, which still blows my mind to this day.

Today's Disney Channel is pretty horrible. I wish that they would do a channel like Cartoon Network tried to do, where the play nothing but old shows.

Also, check this out and see how much of it you remember: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJfNdb7d-cs

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Wandering Knitter posted:

I was just thinking about how much the mall in the first picture looks like the mall near me, and then I scrolled down. :stare:

Sadly the huge fountain by the elevator was removed a few years back, and replaced by a Starbucks with a very tiny fountain. Here's a picture of what it used to look like:

And here's a picture of it's glass foodcourt and racehorse themed merry-go-round.

The mall opened when I was eight years old and it's been a part of my life since, so I have an odd weakspot for the old place. :shobon: Sadly I can't find any pictures of the old christmas house they used to put up during the holidays when I was younger.

e: The best spots on the merry-go-round were on the second level. :colbert:

Holy crap, I still go down to Freehold when I get tired of Woodbridge, Menlo, or Brunswick Square (then again, it's really the only mall that I go to. Woodbridge is somewhat of a dead mall with really nothing in it. Menlo is too rich and feels like a prison with the one straight corridor and Brunswick has too many kids for my taste). My earliest memories of going to a mall were at Freehold in the early 90s. I guess that because it was so new, that my parents liked going there with me and my sister because of the fact that it was so clean. I remember a few things about the early days of it: 1) the massive fountain that was in the middle of it and me not understanding why there was a fountain inside. 2) The arcade that was by the food court, which was about three places down from the McDonalds (both are gone now, leaving a Wendy's and Taco Bell as the two major chains left in the food court) and 3) the Carousel that is still in the food court.

The renovations that they did seven years ago kind of sucked. Mainly because of the fact that it took away a few things that were awesome about the mall, such as the fountain that was in the middle. The elevator is still near the new starbucks, but its now behind it. It's one of the few malls in the are that never really changed over the years, which is somewhat of a good thing. Does anyone remember when the had the comic shop in there for a few years that was by the Johnny Rockets? It was a small, local chain that was called Zapp Comics. I think that the remodel drove them out, so that they could bring in more higher end retailers. I remember going in there a few time and being annoyed about how expensive the stuff was compared to the small local on that was in the town that I lived in.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

No poo poo, Zapp moved out? I live in the town where the previous one was way back when. Spent a lot of allowance money on Star Wars action figures from there before that one closed and the one in Freehold opened.

The only notable thing about the mall at this point for me is that I really like the gyros the Greek place makes. Don't tell me that place is gone now too. :smith:

I remember when the corner spot on the opposite side of the carousel from the arcade was a cramped little playplace. I don't think it lasted all that long.

Also s'up, NJ goons. How about them Easy Videos?

Yeah, that Gyro place is still there and it hasn't changed in years.

Zapp had a few locations at one point. One in Sayreville, where I grew up, one in Freehold Mall, and two other locations, one some where in Central Jersey and one up North somewhere. They closed a few of them down and I think it was the one in Freehold and up north somewhere where left a few years ago. I think the one that was in Freehold is now in a strip mall in Manalapan. It seems to be doing good from what I understand.

Yes, I remember Easy Video. There was one in my home town and it was around for years. My parents never joined, but I had a friend whose parents were members. Then in the the early 90s, a Blockbuster opened and it killed it a year later. There was one left up on Rt. 9 in Woodbridge and it was there all through the 90s and the first half of the 2000s. I think that it closed down maybe three years ago or so and was replaced by a restaurant.

screenwritersblues has a new favorite as of 02:44 on Jul 29, 2013

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

John Murdoch posted:

And oh man, crazy 90s blizzards were so much fun as a kid. And just slightly freaky to have the snow be up above your waist.

Yes they were. I tell my younger cousins about it all the time and they think that I'm crazy when I tell them that I had almost a week up off of school because it was so bad.

I remember the Nor'easter of 1992 pretty good. I had just started grade school and my father was driving me to the bus in his 1970 Chevy pick up truck because he was on his way to work. A neighbor saw him and told him that school was canceled because of the weather. I remember being scared of it because it was raining so bad that I asked my to stay home that day, because I was worried that he was going to get stuck in the water. Of course he doesn't listen to me and he goes to work, but not before getting his camera to shoot pictures. About a hour later, my house phone rings and my mother tells me that my father wants to talk to me. I was five at the time so mind you I was thrilled that he called. He told me that I was right that he should have stayed home, because of the fact that the lot that he parks in was flooded and one of the secretaries that he worked with car was underwater. I think that it was on a Friday too, because he didn't go out that night because it was so bad.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Wilford Cutlery posted:

33 90s trends that in retrospect maybe weren't such a great idea

Some of these I don't remember or wasn't aware of, like Big Johnson shirts, Peace Frog shirts, or Stüssy.

Stussy my not be a major player like it was in the late 80s-early 90s, but it's underground following is huge. Everything it shows up in the sneaker store that I go to, it's gone in a few days.

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Kevyn posted:

If you're interested in this stuff, a book called Console Wars just came out a few months ago. It tells the behind the scenes story of SNES vs Genesis from both sides (but mostly Sega.) Also shows why Sega went to poo poo so quickly. Its Japan's fault.

Supposedly Seth Rogan is making a movie based on the book.

I think it's either before or after the Disaster Artist. Not too sure about that however.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

screenwritersblues
Sep 13, 2010

Wandering Knitter posted:

Okay, this is one hell of a long shot but people talked about the Freehold Raceway Mall in this topic before. Which pretty much is the most 90's Mall out there.

Back in the 90's the Freehold Raceway Mall had two toy stores on one side of the mall. One on the top floor, one on the bottom. I remember the bottom floor toy store was a Kaybees. But does anyone remember the name of the other toy store? That was my favorite one (I think it had a better selection of Nintendo Games?) but the name is completely lost to me.

And yes, the gyro place is still in the food court. Still tastes exactly the same, too.

Oh god. I know what one you're talking about, but I can't remember the name of it at all. It was awesome. My parents had to drag me out of there. God, I have to take a ride down there now. Maybe Friday since I have to get something for wear for Easter and I also want to check the Lego store for the Ecto-1.

• Locked thread