Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Motherfucking pogs. My brother had like five shoeboxes full of the poo poo. I'm pretty sure he still has them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Come on and SLAM! and welcome to the JAM!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Charliegrs posted:

If Im not mistaken I think there was even a few characters in some cartoons who had HIV/AIDs. One thing I remember about the early 90s was the aids hysteria what with Freddy Mercury dying, and Magic Johnson contracting the disease really putting it in the spotlight. And with the hysteria came a lot of misinfo, like people thought you could catch aids by hugging someone and stuff like that. So I think to combat that misinfo there was at least once cartoon character in a show that had AIDS. I cannot remember the character or the show but Im almost certain it happened.

You must be thinking of Captain Planet, which had a Very Special Episode about AIDS. It was just as corny and hamfisted as the rest of the show.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mixed Doubles posted:

I'm 25 years old, and this recent trend of nineties nostalgia has been really interesting for me, because it's the first time seeing a decade that I actually lived through turn into a defined period. During the nineties, none of this stuff seemed obviously nineties, but now that's the only word to describe it, even though I would be hard pressed to say what actually defines it, other than high waisted jeans and solid colors. But it's interesting to me that I intuitively have a concept in my head of what the decade was like, but still don't have one for the oughts.

Content:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yt-KMPvgKPo

I love how shamelessly fun pop music was in the nineties.

Holy poo poo I loved that song. I love how European-inspired electro-pop briefly dominated the charts in the mid-late 90's.

Obligatory link to the best pop song of the 90's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA52uNzx7Y4

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Coffee And Pie posted:

Guts (and Global Guts) was okay, but nothing can ever top Legends of the Hidden Temple in terms of sheer badassness.

Oh man, so many fond memories of screaming at the dipshits that couldn't put that monkey together. It's like the producers intentionally picked the biggest retards they could find for the rest of us kids to feel better about ourselves.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Cleretic posted:

From what I understand they normally recorded about six episodes of Legends of the Hidden Temple in one day, so those kids would have been sitting in a poorly air-conditioned room eating and drinking stuff that's relatively meager for hours at a time. Add to that that I can't imagine the studio was terribly pleasant to be in either, and that the Shrine of the Silver Monkey came near the end of the entire thing, I can understand why they'd have some trouble getting the goddamn thing to fit right.

I can't remember the link, but a former contestant wrote his story in webcomic form that described his experience, and it was just as horrible as you said. So I choose to blame the producers for:

a) putting them through that in the first place

b) putting it on TV for rear end in a top hat kids like me to mock them

It was still an awesome show.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
We can't discuss 90's game shows without mentioning the best of them all: Where In The World Is Carmen San Diego?

Everything about this was perfect. The geography trivia, the silly minigames, the loving awesome soundtrack (HIT IT ROCKAPELLA), and the fact that it aired while Yugoslavia and Central Africa were breaking apart, so the country names kept changing every 6 months so you had to keep on your toes.

Once again: HIT IT ROCKAPELLA!

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Mister_Eel posted:

What does "campy" even mean?

Wikipedia Article on Camp posted:

Camp is an aesthetic sensibility that regards something as appealing or humorous because of its deliberate ridiculousness. The concept is closely related to kitsch, and things with camp appeal may also be described as being "cheesy".

It's basically just what it sounds like: inherently ridiculous poo poo we used to like unironically, then look back on in 15 years, think "wow that was stupid, why did I like that?" and loops back around to being enjoyed ironically.

So this thread is mostly us taking off our childhood red-tinted glasses and laughing at ourselves.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN

Retail Slave posted:

In the early 90's the absolute coolest legal substance an 11-year-old could obtain (at least in my area) was a can of Jolt Cola. If you had Jolt, you were the poo poo. Then the rumor was they discontinued it because some kid drank 3 and his heart exploded.

For me, it was all about the motherfucking Surge

There were a whole shitload of sodas trying to jump on the Mountain Dew bandwagon, back when Mountain Dew was being marketed to the "XTREME" crowd instead of goony MMO addicts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
It doesn't get more late 90's than robots beating each other up on TV.

Here's an incredible article about the rise and fall of BATTTLEBOTS

http://www.sbnation.com/longform/2013/6/18/4438250/battlebots-robot-wars-combat-oral-history

• Locked thread