Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
root beer
Nov 13, 2005

oldpainless posted:

Here's a show:

Came on Saturday mornings, after Saved by the Bell. It played in the background of my saturday morning life for years and all I know is the title and the blond girl was hot. I don't know a loving thing else about it. I think of it as a Saved by the Bell ripoff. Am I right? Is it? I don't even loving care.

I've tended to avoid watching these shows (I am proud to say I have never watched an episode of Saved By the Bell), but if I do recall correctly, the theme song actually, unironically had the line 'surfer dudes with attitiudes' in it somewhere :cripes:

:siren:WARNING! 'BUT MY CHILDHOOD' ALERT! WARNING!:siren: Notorious munitions-expert-cum-"film"-director Michael Bay is looking to scribble all over Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles with his... um... directorial crayons (...?) soon, with a whole new twist on the Turtles' origin story. Frankly, I hope he does Thundercats next, because in all honesty, I didn't care much for that one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

VoilaIntruder posted:

In the 90s we rebelled against popular artists and characters the only way we knew how: by making Java games where we shot at gifs of said characters. Be sure to visit the Anti-Barney webring partner sites for more.
http://www.angelfire.com/nj4/shootbarney/index.html

Yep, I was all over that back in the day. Once, my teacher caught be drawing this ridiculously violent picture of Barney being mutilated, and she actually posted it on the wall of her classroom :unsmith:

But the real tour de force of Barney Bloodlust was a Wolfenstein3D hack called Barneystein 3D (go to the bottom of the page for a download). We didn't have a sound card on our poo poo 486SX but goddammit I didn't care, I just wanted Barney gibs spilling all over the floors of his own castle.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Lovie Unsmith posted:

Anyone remember this guy?

Cool Spot > Fido Dido forever, scrub.

How about some ultra-hyped nonsense that went nowehere?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKJkfE1M9wA

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Masonic Youth posted:

The Secret City Adventures and later Imagination Station, with "Commander" Mark Kistler.

Taught me everything I know :)

Dammit I'm too late to post this. I'd been thinking of the show lately myself but I couldn't remember the name, but then it just dawned on me with Blood Magnet's post. It's where I first learned about tapering!

Here, have a video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4tK70tHKhME

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Popcorn posted:

this is what 1990 was like.PNG

The truest post :c00l: And the Neon '90s are coming back with a vengeance. A horrible, exacting vengeance.

In that Cadillacs and Dinosaurs video, does that guy shift his car's automatic transmission and then immediately shift a manual? Am I seeing that right?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Like there'd even be manual transmissions by then :rice:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

korusan posted:

So Kurt Cobain died on this date 18 years ago.

Nirvana truly was the apex of 90s grunge. Not the first or even the best, but they really defined it and were marketed much more than anyone else.

Actually, he was found dead on the 8th, but he actually killed himself on the 5th :eng101:

RC and Moon Pie posted:

One of the standout memories of my days in middle school is a talent show put on by faculty and students in my 8th grade year. A group of 8th grade boys covered "Polly Want a Cracker." It got a gym full of countrified, backwoods Georgia kids to headbang.

Ewwww.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

GonzoRonin posted:

I can't be the only one who vaguely remembers this awfulness, although it's slightly pre-90's: http://youtu.be/v37spLnZmuY

No, don't worry, I've been trying to forget for close to a quarter of a century. Rude Dog was sort of a clothing line before it was a terrible cartoon show (thank christ that Big Dog never got that far, ugh). Seems like there was a brand called Rad Dog too, but without any kind of tubular jiggly-lined neon pink logo. I could be wrong though, I can't find any evidence on page one of my Google search, and I don't give enough of a flip to go beyond that.

the dude with the 'tude, in the mood to be rude (guess I'll kill myself now)
e: The cartoon came out in '89, which is goddamn close enough in my book. The '90s ran from 1987 to 2000 :c00lbert:

root beer has a new favorite as of 01:46 on Apr 10, 2012

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Eek was a great cartoon, and The Whining Pirates of Tortuga has to be my favorite episode. Eek singing 'one million bottles of milk on the wall' and the pirate made entirely of peg legs (named Peg) were just fried gold. Edit: Eekpocalypse Now! was pretty great too

There was a youtube video posted a couple of years ago that was just basically a ton of clips of clichéd '90s stuff (including chunks of footage from Cool as Ice), all set to loads of awesome New Jack Swing. I can't find it, and I was wondering if anyone else knew what the hell I was talking about?

root beer has a new favorite as of 22:12 on Apr 11, 2012

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

A'ight suckaz peep this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KTEU_e2qS1U

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

There was a lot of those 3D shenanigans like that going on in the late '90s, ABC did a week of it. The effect wasn't that great, but I will say that that episode of 3rd Rock was beautiful nonetheless.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

PalmTreeFun posted:

That CGI was really, really good by 90's standards. Everything else looked like Beast Wars, or worse, this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvOSAko859k

Don't get me wrong, I loved Beast Wars, but it definitely looks like poo poo today.

God, what was it with '90s CGI and terrible clumsy fly-throughs? It's like none of these artists could conceptualize being on a tour bus, let alone a goddamn airplane.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

lord funk posted:

:stare: Nelson. Kenny G. Will Smith. It just keeps going...

Good god, understatement of the epoch, I think a growing :catstare: might be necessary for this one... let's see here:

Wikipedia posted:

The following is the order of appearance in the song:
  • Ralph Tresvant
  • Randy Travis
  • Celine Dion
  • Peter Cetera
  • Bobby Brown
  • Brenda Russell
  • Jani Lane (Warrant)
  • Luther Vandross
  • Garth Brooks
  • Kathy Mattea
  • Gunnar & Matthew Nelson
  • Michael Bolton
  • Pointer Sisters
  • Little Richard
  • Will Smith (The Fresh Prince)
  • Mark Knopfler — Guitar solo
  • Kenny G — Saxophone solo
  • Warren Wiebe

I'm not even going to list all of the people in the choir, but it included people like Alyssa Milano, Downtown Julie Brown, Gary Busey, Kevin Costner, Cindy Crawford, Billy Crystal, Richard Gere, Whoopi Goldberg, Magic Johnson, Michael Jordan, Don King, Jon Lovitz, Michelle Pfeiffer, Kurt Russell, Fred Savage, Nicollette Sheridan, Mike Tyson, Jean-Claude Van Damme, and Warrant... and I could swear I saw Steven Seagal in there somewhere. All that's missing is Bart Simpson, Steve Urkel, and Vanilla Ice, and you'd have the ultimate '90s bullshit wankfest right there. Hell, you even had the footage that was black & white with certain bits colorized and flashing, in perfect '90s 'style'.

We sure knew how to Support Are Troops back then, didn't we :patriot:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Okay, how about Lurleen McDaniel? My sister always got a stack of these melodramatic piles of poo poo from the library back in the day. Every single one is about someone who is going to die. I'd read the ending and spoil it for my sister :twisted:

Yeah so she started this crap in the mid '80s but whatever they were the fuckin' same anyway

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

So how crazy was it when you found out Ringo Starr was a Beatle then?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Will say though, it was a pretty progressive show, letting Staci Keanan play as a linebacker and all. I can see where you might think it was a '90s show.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

metalhead librarian posted:

Who remembers In Living Color? This was a sketch comedy show in the vein of Saturday Night Live that aired from 1990 to 1994.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Living_Color

http://youtu.be/MSO54NSiGiI has the theme song.

I remember watching this at night with my mom.

Pff, who doesn't remember In Living Color? Try House of Buggin', with John Leguizamo and Luis Guzmán.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Okay guys, we've been talking about TV shows and toys and music, but let's be serious here: I'm taking about Yeah! Woo!, the official drum break of the '90s.

Sure, it may have started in the late '80s (specifically in 1988 with Roxanne Shanté's 'Go On Girl' and 'It Takes Two' by Robb Base and DJ EZ Rock, shown below), but once you hear the sample, you know that it's been used in 91% of all songs recorded between 1990 and 1993.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5IBRbzf3Fws

Seriously though, this sample was everywhere in the early '90s, not only in hip-hop and New Jack Swing music, but in TV themes (you all know this one) and in video games, for chrissakes. Hell, you could even find it in 1997 on the continue screen of Street Fighter III: New Generation.

I don't know about you, but I feel that Yeah! Woo! is in the core of early '90s pop culture.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

flatluigi posted:

So you know, this is from Lyn Collins' "Think (About It)":
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTdOcumz0wY&t=80s

(Which is from 1972 :ssh:)

Oh, no, I did know that, but as a sampled loop, it started in the late '80s and really became A Thing in the early '90s.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Mr. Heroes posted:

Let's see if I have anything unique to contribue:

BoKu Adult Juiceboxes were pretty tasty. Nothing screamed sophisticated when you busted out a BoKu in the cafeteria.

gently caress that poo poo, the commercials [which featured a heavily bemulleted Richard Lewis] alone made me never want anything to do with BoKu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDAhNu1haKQ

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

T Fowl posted:

One of my favorite kids books, Harris and Me. No one else I know ever read it, but it's a fantastic boys adventure book.

Speaking of '90s YA books:

This was such a goddamn good book, about a legendary kid and race relations, but it wasn't heavy-handed about it like Captain Planet and the Sentient PSAs would invariably be. I still have a copy at my mom and dad's, I'm going to give it to my daughter once she's in fifth or sixth grade.

Anyway...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXp-oszYFlQ

Part 1 of Children's Palace/Child World (RIP) 'Video Toy Chest', forty minutes of toy commercials interspersed with child actors pretending to know how to operate a television production house. This terribly campy thing from 1990 features actors like JD Daniels (of half of the TGIF shows ever to last less than a whole season), Sheldon Turnipseed (GhostWriter, the '90s-est show ever to air on PBS), and Lacey Chabert (well, you know this one). The rappin' host guy and guy-dressed-as-a-granny were, um, memorable...

Children's Palace > Toys 'я' Us forever.

root beer has a new favorite as of 05:44 on Feb 25, 2013

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

What, you don't remember having Jenny's number tattooed on the side of your head next to your ten-inch spiked mohawk? Spraypainting 'Mike and the Mechanics' on the wall of the town hall, just pissing the man right off?

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Penny Paper posted:

Now for content: I remember this safety PSA that had those crash test dummies (I forgot their names) and Ray Charles singing about keeping kids buckled in the backseat, had those two crash test dummies dressed like the Raylettes (look it up), and it ended with Ray Charles saying, "They'll stay alive even when I drive."

I know it sounds like some sick parody that would be at home on 1990s Saturday Night Live, MADtv, or In Living Color (especially In Living Color because that cast had more black people and Jamie Foxx was on that show before he actually would play Ray Charles in that movie), but it was real and it played on a local TV station in Pennsylvania that aired these cartoons that weren't good enough for the major networks (that Sonic the Hedgehog cartoon that wasn't the dramatic, action-packed one known as "SatAM Sonic," Extreme Ghostbusters, an unaired season of The Mask: The Animated Series, Street Sharks, and Captain Simian and the Space Monkeys). I don't even know if it's on YouTube, as this is the kind of stuff that YouTube would eat up like a cheap buffet that never runs out of food and gives you unlimited refills on all drinks, not just water.

Yo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K1n5mxIJaLo

Weren't that hard to find, really.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Not to mention that the ending was pretty hosed up in which Norman and Virgil both die and Skullmaster actually kinda wins. It really was a surprisingly great show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

OldTennisCourt posted:

I would dig a book of all those old 80's/90's arcade flyers. They was some of the best, cheesiest things ever. What made them weirder is, and please correct me if I'm wrong, most of them weren't really made to advertise to kids but to arcade owners which makes the cheesy set up even funnier.

That sounds about right, the ad probably came from an industry journal. I was looking up Pit-Fighter, a beat'm up by Atari from the early '90s that used digitized mo-cap graphics like MK, and the ad was kind of similar, but it also boasted about things like

lame arcade cabinet ad posted:

• Large 25" screen with extra-wide control panel
  • Buy-in any time with continue feature

which just reek of business-speak. Seems like there was another arcade cabinet ad I saw that was even cheesier and dorkier.

King Vidiot posted:

The good guys were so much lamer than the bad guys, but I guess that applies to every toy line from the 80's/90's.

The most obvious example of this I can think of would be when Alien 3 came out, and all I remember thinking is "who the hell would even want the human figures when you can get these rad aliens?"

• Locked thread