Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Hey, CW is back.
I've got about 80 new posts to read. Did anyone need me for anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Its almost like we're a Bureaucracy, in space!

I set sail for the Planet of Lab Requisitions!!

Nothing urgent, we're just int he middle of Labyrinth at last so its all about the boys with nukes (and Beef).

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Completely random fluff question that I've been meaning to ask for months but keeps slipping out of my mind - are we at the very least throwing some domes up over historical sites on the Moon, what with all this terraforming going on? I'd hate for the Apollo 11 landing site to end up at the bottom of a lake because we forgot to preserve it.

Added Space
Jul 13, 2012

Free Markets
Free People

Curse you Hayard-Gunnes!

Crazycryodude posted:

Completely random fluff question that I've been meaning to ask for months but keeps slipping out of my mind - are we at the very least throwing some domes up over historical sites on the Moon, what with all this terraforming going on? I'd hate for the Apollo 11 landing site to end up at the bottom of a lake because we forgot to preserve it.

Well, I was the one board member pushing for terraforming the most, so yes. They're under observation domes filled with argon. The Moon also has a number of biodomes for research, preservation of the Saharan environment, and recreation. I made a lore post about it somewhere in the thread that I can't look up at the moment.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Thanks, I'm sure I read it somewhere sometime but, well, over 4 years of stuff to remember etc. etc. Glad someone thought of it.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
Just noting that no, I am not dead. I got frustrated that I couldn't make the drat Hoplites do what I wanted, then American politics exploded and I developed a case of activism, and now I'm in the middle of putting together a new computer. Never fear, the LP will resume shortly.

Ninja edit: Apologies to those who saw a new post from me and assumed it was an update.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

IT'S BA......

oh

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

bgreman posted:

Never fear, the LP will resume shortly.

:f5:??

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

1 new post

I want to believe....

BG come back hockey is for nerds

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

I love whenever I pop into this thread and see everyone still has their CW avatars :allears:

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
I don't know what you mean.

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Mister Adequate posted:

I love whenever I pop into this thread and see everyone still has their CW avatars :allears:

Memorable quotes combine with Dr Strangelove or other beloved franchises helps!

Also....

I'm probably going to need someone to temporarily take over the UNIEB for me for awhile. I'm going to Navy Officer Candidate School in three weeks so I probably won't have internet for funtimes for several months. Can someone take up this awe inspiring mantel for sometime if it is needed while I'm away?

Your job description is:

-To forecast out industrial needs for the N for several years and then change everything when the Navy wants new parts.
-Figure out how to grow a colony as quickly as possible so it won't be a drain on us. Play nice with UNRL for this one.
-Bring donoughts to the break room every other Thursday.
-Secretly run all of the UN and use everyone as your puppets. Collaborate with your fellow councilors and come up with plans to make the UN great!

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

See, I want to volunteer, but have no idea how to do anything. So of course I'll take it, try and substitute enthusiasm for experience. Plus, let's be honest, at this rate you'll probably be done by the time any decisions have to be made.

E: Good luck in OCS

E2: Oh, you're the only councilor who's been in it from the start all the way through, aren't you? I'd feel bad ruining that. How about you technically keep the job unless something comes up and I need to work it out. Isn't there a deputy system for stuff like that?

Crazycryodude fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Dec 17, 2016

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Crazycryodude posted:

See, I want to volunteer, but have no idea how to do anything. So of course I'll take it, try and substitute enthusiasm for experience. Plus, let's be honest, at this rate you'll probably be done by the time any decisions have to be made.

E: Good luck in OCS

E2: Oh, you're the only councilor who's been in it from the start all the way through, aren't you? I'd feel bad ruining that. How about you technically keep the job unless something comes up and I need to work it out. Isn't there a deputy system for stuff like that?

Thank you! If our timeline goes like the Coldest Wars I'm only 20 some odd years from commanding a spaceship!

Sounds good! I was mainly looking for a deputy ( I think I forgot to get a new one after my last one left), I still plan to keep secretly running the UN after I return from my several months warped in the silks of my MIND cocoon getting yelled at by marine DIs. The job isn't that bad, its mostly just voting on stuff and occasionally shifting around construction priorities.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
Plus the rest of us department heads will be screaming what we need at you.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

ASK ME ABOUT STICKING WITH A YEARS-LONG LETS PLAY OF THE MOST COMPLICATED SPACE SIMULATION GAME INVENTED, PLAYING BOTH SIDES, AND SPENDING HOURS GOING ABOVE AND BEYOND TO ENSURE INTERNET STRANGERS ENJOY THEMSELVES
I'm off work (which has been the primary consumer of my time for the last year, beyond hockey and derby :() every day next week, so expect to see a lot of movement then. At the very least, LABYRINTH will be resolved, one way or the other.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

tatankatonk posted:

Hey BG could you put me on the waiting list as a naval officer? Thanks.

frankenfreak posted:

That and me finally being in a place to know roughly what is going on currently encourages me to dive in and request to add me to the naval officers list.

frankenfreak posted:

I'd prefer someone with a decent Crew Training Rating or an Operations Bonus, but I won't insist on anything.

Bacarruda posted:

Same for me. This thing looks awesome.

And I can't wait to fill some dead goon's shoes.

Another Otter posted:

BG, can you throw my name into the hat as a Naval Officer?

This is getting intense, I hope I don't get called up too soon.

Another Otter posted:

Could I be reserved for a naval officer with a crew training bonus if at all possible?

All done.

UNS Mackinac: K2-Sol Jump Gate, 27th September 2037, 19:40 UNT

"Sir? Something is happening."

RADM Hurriness whips his head around at the sensor technician in Mackinac's CIC. "More specific, Mr. Vickers."

"Aye, sir. Order and Plenty radioed that they were beginning the integration procedure when their link suddenly closed."

Hurriness's stomach sinks. "Do we still have them on sensors?"

"Yes, sir," replies Vickers.

"And the hostiles?" asks Hurriness, poised to issue the command he'd been anticipating for nearly a year.

"Well, sir, three of them have begun broadcasting UNIN IFF codes, and--"

"Sir! We've re-established a connection to Order and Plenty," breaks in Ruiz, the communications tech.

Impatiently, Hurriness drops in on the channel Vickers is monitoring. "--n't know what went wrong. Three have joined." It's CAPT Raw_Beef's voice. "poo poo! The Big Meanie just took a shot at one of the defectors! Grazed it." There's an odd pause, before Raw_Beef continues, "What do you mean they won't fire on it? Why the hell not?" Another pause. "Fine. Buckle up, Belnar, we're going in."

"Sir, Order and Plenty is maneuvering to begin engaging the remaining hostile," calls out Vickers helpfully, though Hurriness can see everything displayed in his aug.

Hurriness breaks in. "Captain Raw_Beef, this is the Admiral. THESEUS will commence fire on the remaining hostile now, but the missiles won't arrive for more than nine minutes."

There's a grunt across the connection, and Hurriness's aug glows, indicating that Order and Plenty has fired at the remaining hostile Hoplite. "Do what you need to, Admiral. I'm busy." The audio on the connection drops abruptly, though the telemtry link remains strong.

Hurriness opens a channel to the entire THESEUS formation. "Fire Group One, fire single salvo, all launchers, at the remaining hostile."

Green confirmations begin to light up the fires display in Hurriness's aug, but then a series of amber lights begin to file in.

The readiness indicators for the four Cape Town destroyers in Fire Group One reveal that they cannot obtain a good firing solution. "What's going on with the Cape Towns, XO?" calls Hurriness.

"Working on it, sir," comes the response. "CAPT cokerpilot says there's a lot of interference coming in, jamming the fire controls. He estimates their guidance range is down to just over 10m km."

Dammit, off-script already, thinks Hurriness, hesitating a moment before bringing up a connection to UNS Tartu. This was an order he didn't want to have to give. "Captain cokerpilot, you will take your formation into firing range keep that range open until the target is destroyed."

"Aye, sir," comes the remote response, and Hurriness watches his aug as the destroyers move to get underway. The admiral doesn't believe they'll be in position in time to make much of a difference in the battle, as it will take nearly 40 minutes for the Cape Towns to close the range, but it was important to have a contingency plan, should the monitors be unable to destroy the Hoplite.

Huriness dismisses the connection to Tartu and opens one to the other monitors in his own formation. "Monitors of Fire Group Two, fire single salvo, all launchers." That should offset the reduced weight of fire from the Cape Towns," he reasons grimly.

A few seconds later, Hurriness is cheered as the first UN salvos are fired, by the monitors Gibraltar and Fredrikshavn. Each unleashes a salvo of ten huge SSM-13A "Harrier" ship-buster missiles, which will take nearly eleven minutes to reach the target. Hurriness amends his former order so that the remaining monitors will fire in unison in an attempt to overwhelm the Hoplite's point defense systems--if it has any.

"Sir, incoming hail from Kontr-Admiral Biswal," warns Ruiz.

"Send it, private," responds Hurriness, wincing as the tactical display shows the enemy Hoplite unleashing another barrage at one of its former compatriots. At the same time, a muted cheer goes out from the bridge crew as Order and Plenty fires its own particle projectors. Unfortunately, the Raw_Beef's ship is still maneuvering toward the enemy Hoplite and is near the extreme edge of its range envelope, especially with the Hoplite's jamming system. Order and Plenty's salvo misses.

"Admiral Hurriness." Biswal is not happy. "Where are your destroyers going? What's going on with the hostiles? Can we trust those new IFF signatures?"

Hurriness sighs, shaking his head. He can't afford to tip UNIN's hand regarding the jammed sensors on the Cape Towns. "You can trust the signatures, yes," he says. "Raw_Beef confirmed they have been . . . reprogrammed." He watches his aug as one of the Federation destroyers, Bhaavo, unleashes a salvo of its own, indicating that the Vishnus have a longer range fire control than the Cape Towns. Recognizing that the UNFI folks will be having a field day with this minor setback, Hurriness continues, "The Cape Towns are heading in-system to prepare to rescue life-pods if the Hoplite manages to do too much damage to our allies."

"I see," comes the reply, sounding thoroughly unconvinced. "We shall remain here, as originally requested. Biswal out." The link dies.

Hurriness returns his attention to the tactical display. Order and Plenty and the Hoplite have exchanged particle beam salvos, with Raw_Beef's ship scoring a pair of hits to the Hoplite's single score. Raw_Beef is still trying to bring Order and Plenty around to rendezvous with the liberated automatons, but the Hoplite is now closing quickly. Less than 140,000 km separate the two. Both ships will become increasingly deadly as the range continues to close, but Raw_Beef seems undeterred.

Suddenly, however, Order and Plenty's blip splits in half, and Hurriness fears for a moment that the ship has been lost. However, it is soon revealed that the Ecuador has split off and is heading away tangentially. The Legion combat transport has no offensive armament and has no place in the coming firefight. The large ship is slightly faster than the Hoplite, which means the range can be held open.

Twenty seconds later, the alien cruisers exchange another salvo. This time Order and Plenty scores three hits, while the Hoplite gets three. Hurriness's breath catches in his chest as the remote drone feed shows a huge rent in the armor of Raw_Beef's ship, lazily venting vapor into the void before the compartment can be secured. Despite the apparent extent of the damage, Raw_Beef reports only the loss of a single particle beam. Repairs on the damaged weapon are already underway.

After another ten seconds, the liberated Hoplites rendezvous with Order and Plenty and the combined formation moves to head back toward THESEUS, cutting the travel time for the inbound missiles. However, it is still going to be a long seven minutes under fire for Order and Plenty and its squadron mates. Order and Plenty and Hoplite exchange several more salvos over the next minute, with the Hoplite content to hover around 120,000 km from Legion ships. Order and Plenty is savaged with particle impacts, losing three engines and her active sensor. Slowed, Raw_Beef's ship drops out of formation. The liberated Hoplites wheel about and make to keep a tight formation with Order and Plenty. Meanwhile, Ecuador manages to move far enough away from the enemy Hoplite that it can stay outside the range of the Hoplite's weaponry.

Order and Plenty and the enemy Hoplite trade blows again, with Raw_Beef's ship again taking the worst of it. Another pair of particle beams is disabled, along with another engine and half of Order and Plenty's fuel storage. As Order and Plenty continues to lose engines and slow, it becomes an easier target for the hostile ship. It won't be able to stand many more salvos.

Hurriness opens a line to Raw_Beef. "Captain, you have to get those other ships fighting!"

Raw_Beef's voice is grim. "I'm working on it, Admiral. They're not big fans of shooting each oth--"

The next enemy salvo cuts Raw_Beef off. Hurriness sees a brief flash before the feed goes dark. The admiral quickly glances at the tactical display. Order and Plenty is still intact, but only barely. The latest salvo has disabled her remaining weaponry, more of her engines, and one of her reactors. Finally, after yet another salvo, Order and Plenty finally starts to limp back toward THESEUS, while the liberated Hoplites move to interpose themselves between the hostile ship and Raw_Beef's crippled vessel. The most recent set of impacts has disabled three more engines and Order and Plenty's fire control, leaving her fangless, even should she be able to repair one of her particle beams. Communications with the ship's automated systems are becoming difficult to maintain, and there has been no contact from Raw_Beef for more than 60 seconds.

Order and Plenty's reduced speed leaves her unable to effectively flee the enemy Hoplite, which maintains a steady 120,000 km interval between itself and the stricken ship. However, the friendly Hoplites are now closing on the hostile ship quickly. Suddenly, the hostile Hoplite reverses course, moving to open the range between itself and the pursuing ships of MEDEA.

If the gambit works, MEDEA will have pushed the enemy Hoplite past the point where it can effectively bring its weapons to bear on Order and Plenty. The liberated Hoplites are putting themselves in very real danger to save Raw_Beef. Hurriness quietly applauds their bravery--even if they are glorified robots.

Mackinac's bridge crew lets out a collective sigh of relief. The Hoplite appears to be intent on keeping the range open on the liberated ships, even though they aren't firing at it. This gives Order and Plenty a needed reprieve. However, the Hoplites next salvo tears a chunk out of one of the pursuing ships, reminding everyone that the fight is far from over. Hurriness silently exhorts the liberated automatons to overcome their trigger-shy natures, for their own survival.

The lead ship in the formation takes another six non-penetrating hits over the next forty seconds, continuing to push the enemy Hoplite away from Raw_Beef. Eventually the formation begins to curl around, so as to draw the Hoplite back into the teeth of the incoming missile barrage. However, the Legion's coordination of its newly-free ships leaves something to be desired, and the maneuver takes forty seconds longer than expected to execute.

Over the next two minutes, the lead Legion Hoplite takes another thirteen hits from the enemy ship, though only three penetrate armor. However, the last salvo causes the ship to slow to 7031 kps, and its sister ships slow with it. The lead ship, MEDEA 1, takes another two penetrating hits in the next salvo. MEDEA only needs to last another five minutes before THESEUS's missiles arrive, but with the enemy Hoplite firing every twenty seconds, that is small consolation for the Legion ships under fire.

The potency of the Hoplite weapons platform becomes apparent forty seconds later as MEDEA 1 is ripped apart by a secondary explosion triggered by a direct hit on her engine section. Hurriness watches with helpless fury as the wreck tumbles out of formation, spewing gases and suddenly-freed plasma into the void. A number of small blips appear on the tactical display, indicating scores of Legion automatons reeling through space. Hurriness realizes the Cape Towns may be needed for rescue duties after all.

The remaining liberated Hoplites return to maximum speed, abandoning--for now--the surviving automatons from MEDEA 1. There is no respite for them, for twenty seconds after MEDEA 1's abrupt explosion, the enemy Hoplite scores a trio of non-penetrating hits against MEDEA 2. However, the remaining ships finally finish the long turn toward the incoming missile salvos. Every second now brings the missiles more than 39,000 kilometers closer to the enemy Hoplite.

A quick telemetry update from the Federation ships reveals that their missiles will impact first, more than a minute ahead of the UN salvos. The Federation missiles are approaching in two waves, due to the staggered launch by the Vishnus. The Skorys elected to not fire, likely trying to avoid a missile overkill. Hurriness rather resents Biswal for being so conservative at the moment.

Meanwhile, MEDEA 2 continues to absorb punishment from the enemy Hoplite, which scores no less than 16 non-penetrating hits. The Federation missiles pass a mere 8,000 km from MEDEA 2 as they begin their terminal guidance phase. As the first salvo runs up on the enemy Hoplite, two of them are suddenly snuffed out.

"Looks like they've got some kind of missile defense, XO," Hurriness mutters glumly. "Hopefully some of those Fed birds get through." He grimaces as the other two missiles in the first salvo shoot past the Hoplite. At the same time, it gets off another salvo against MEDEA 2, scoring two hits, including a penetration.

Five seconds later, sixteen more Federation missiles begin their attack runs. This time, only one is downed by point blank defensive fire. For a moment, Hurriness's tactical screen flashes blank, overwhelmed with the brightness of nine Federation missiles impacting the target. However, rapid analysis reveals that only two of the missiles penetrated the Hoplite's armor, while another seven missed altogether. The two penetrating shots have managed to cause enough engine damage to slow the Hoplite to 6250 kps. With MEDEA still able to travel at full speed, and the Hoplite too far from Order and Plenty to re-engage before the UN missiles intercept, Hurriness finally begins to relax, even if just slightly.

MEDEA isn't quite out of the woods yet, though, as the Hoplite manages to score another pair of hits (one penetrating) on MEDEA 2 shortly after the Federation missile impact. Twenty seconds after that, the Hoplite improves its aim and scores a trio of penetrating hits, one of which takes out an engine and forces MEDEA 2 to drop to 7031 kps. No longer able to keep up with its sister ship, it begins to wheel away from Order and Plenty and MEDEA 3 in a last-ditch effort to keep the hostile from doing any more damage. By the time the next firing cycle for the Hoplite rolls around, MEDEA 2 is at the very limit of its presumed engagement range, and all seven shots of its particle beam armament miss. It could turn and pursue the vulnerable Order and Plenty, but there isn't enough time for it to close to weapons range before the first wave of Harriers strikes.

At 19:51:51, the salvos launched by the monitors Gibraltar and Fredrikshavn begin their final intercept of the enemy Hoplite. Only a single missile is shot down by the Hoplite's defense system, leaving 19 heavy anti-ship missiles inbound. A further six miss. The remainder connect with their targets, releasing four times more energy than the Federation salvo just a few minutes before. Every single one of them penetrates, thanks to the work done on the Hoplite's armor by Order and Plenty and the Federation destroyers. When the glare fades, all that's left of the Hoplite is a tangled cloud of debris.

"Confirmed, target destroyed," comes the acknowledgement from Delphi and a cheer erupts from the bridge crew. Hurriness suspects that 1st Fleet will be somewhat less cheerful about the wasted expenditure of the remaining forty inbound Harriers, which will self-destruct now that their target has been eliminated. Nevertheless, best to make it official.

"Secure from action stations," Hurriness orders, with a calm he does not feel. "Operation LABYRINTH is a success."

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

So this update took SEVEN HOURS to run about eleven minutes of game time, five seconds at a time. If only the Hoplites / Order and Plenty had had a weapon cycle longer than 20s!

Here's a spreadsheet that contains every weapon fired during the battle: Link

bgreman fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Dec 30, 2016

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

bgreman posted:

So this update took SEVEN HOURS to run about eleven minutes of game time, five seconds at a time. If only the Hoplites / Order and Plenty had had a weapon cycle longer than 20s!

Here's a spreadsheet that contains every weapon fired during the battle: Link

Your stalwartness in putting up with Aurora's painfully slow processing is much appreciated.

I suppose we now need to start scooping up sentient robots.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Yay! The operation that has been brewing for years (?) now is finally done!

This was nerve-racking. Great update, though!

Now to send in our surveyors and scavengers.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Tense!

Oh dear Beefy appears to have gotten himself into another spot of bother, he should have just run away from the start and waited for the missiles. Time to retask the salvagers for our lovely wreckage and send ships to scout the planets in the system.

Tech analysis:
Looks like the Federation destroyers are configured to fire four size 4 Ion generation missiles roughly equivalent to ours. Assuming no ECCM their fire control is has a minimum of 30million km range and is likely 40m+ to accomodate Ion missiles.

The FSSM -31 "cooper" missiles themselves are nothing too surprising, 33,000kps with a strength 4 warhead with likely approx 40 million km of range.

markus_cz
May 10, 2009

Saros posted:

. Time to retask the salvagers for our lovely wreckage

I think I'm going to keep our salvager on its current course - the Mind vessel in Hakahaka. We have two functional Hoplites, so there can't be much to gain from the destroyed one. I'll send something that way once we finish a spare salvager.

(I'm going by memory here so this is subject to change when I actually get the time to study the RAW data.)

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia
That was a tense battle! As others said BG, thank you for putting up with Aurora's clunky interface to let this play out!

So Beef has a couple Hoplites along with Order and Plenty, and they acquitted themselves quite nicely. It was also good to get a demonstration of Federation tech, they seem to be continuing to focus on lower yield warheads that traded potency for range and speed. Those particle beams we saw were pretty savage though, if we could somehow replicate that technology it might behoove us to develop a class of fast attack ships designed to brawl around jump points and other tight locations.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

The Hoplites aren't really ours though, we promised beef they could remain independent. We should definitely offer to repair them in our shipyards though as our big ones are currently idle.

Those fed missiles are pretty much inline with our own plans for our next gen ships. Our monitor missiles were specifically designed for stupid large warheads because they are big missiles and we weren't going to use them to fight enemies who could shoot back (I.e. the hoplites).

Now we have the tech from beef we can get going on our next gen designs ASAP with the improved missile engine tech researching while our new cruisers/destroyers are retooling/building.

Saros fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 30, 2016

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
Beef just about bit it there. Order and Plenty is going to need a lot of time in the yards, alien supership or not.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
:ohdear:

On the plus side, we at least confirmed the efficacy of our missiles against potential BeefThreats.

Gnooble
Sep 29, 2010

Commander, make full speed to JP1 and activate your active sensor to keep watch for any unauthorized transits.
Hey an update. That's pretty neat.

A resounding cheer went up through the war room in Ragnarok Fleet Headquarters as the first reports of the action in Klondike-Kagayan were relayed through the jump gate. Fleet Admiral Bareilles and UNIN Gnooble shared a brief smile as reports of missile detonations echoed as officers watched, rapt, as the screens, intel reports, and damage estimates rolled in. Then the fateful words sounded and the cacophony of victory grew even louder.

"Operation LABYRINTH is a success."

Smiling openly now, Fleet Admiral Bareilles reaches out and Gnooble shakes his hand. "Good work Admiral."

As the Admiral goes to join his subordinates, Gnooble opens his data terminal and relays the reports to the rest of UN High Command and UNEC. Leaning back in his chair, smiling, he laughs as the first comm replies start appearing on his screen.

"Intel: FED MISSILES!"
"UNSA: Prelim tech eval."
"UNRL: Can we start surveying yet?"
"BuOrd: Shameful waste of ordnance yet again."

For a brief moment Gnooble lets himself just bask in the victory, the years of planning finally come to fruition, then he sits forward and starts to reply.

To: THESEUS
Re: LABYRINTH

Excellent work Admiral, I can assure you commendations will be forthcoming for your brave officers and crew. Keep the Capes advancing to assist with S&R and field repair operations for Capt Beef and his new friends. I'm sure UNFRAD would like to speak the newly freed automatons as well. For now, extend them our welcome and offers of assistance.

Once the area is secure, inquire if any other automatons are in system, if the system is clear withdraw Federation and monitor formations to Sol and leave the Capes as escort and security for the automatons and ATHENIAN as it begins survey operations.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer
Did we agree that we have exclusive rights to the system with the Feds? It's been so long that I don't recall. We do need to survey the inner worlds asap, as it's possible they hold the key to whatever the hell is going on with the MIND.

Saros
Dec 29, 2009

Gnooble posted:

As the Admiral goes to join his subordinates, Gnooble opens his data terminal and relays the reports to the rest of UN High Command and UNEC. Leaning back in his chair, smiling, he laughs as the first comm replies start appearing on his screen.

"Intel: FED MISSILES!"
"UNSA: Prelim tech eval."
"UNRL: Can we start surveying yet?"
"BuOrd: Shameful waste of ordnance yet again."

:un:

:unsmith:

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
I think we should hold a funeral for the dead MEDEA Hoplite and officially award purple hearts or whatever equivalent we hand out to the other hoplites. They are sentient after all. And have fought on our side.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dawncloack posted:

I think we should hold a funeral for the dead MEDEA Hoplite and officially award purple hearts or whatever equivalent we hand out to the other hoplites. They are sentient after all. And have fought on our side.

Ask Beef if they'd understand or not once he pulls his ship back together.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Zeroisanumber posted:

Ask Beef if they'd understand or not once he pulls his ship back together.

This. I'm not UNFRAD so I don't have any authority (beyond a deputy vote if Jimmy has disappeared to OCS ninja edit: he posted like just half a dozen above me, duh), but we should do something to commemorate this. Best to ask Beef for advice, maybe the automatons don't understand the concept of medals/awards/decorations/commemorating the dead/whatever, maybe they have their own ceremonies and traditions, who the hell knows they're just barely this side of utterly alien (in the literal sense). My heart's desire is some kind of syncretic ceremony combining their traditions and ours in a symbol of cooperation and shared mourning but hey we'll see how it plays out.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost
First thing's first. How long until we can get a salvager out to start pulling whatever we can out of the wreckage?

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Zeroisanumber posted:

First thing's first. How long until we can get a salvager out to start pulling whatever we can out of the wreckage?

markus_cz posted:

I think I'm going to keep our salvager on its current course - the Mind vessel in Hakahaka. We have two functional Hoplites, so there can't be much to gain from the destroyed one. I'll send something that way once we finish a spare salvager.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Crazycryodude posted:

This. I'm not UNFRAD so I don't have any authority (beyond a deputy vote if Jimmy has disappeared to OCS ninja edit: he posted like just half a dozen above me, duh), but we should do something to commemorate this. Best to ask Beef for advice, maybe the automatons don't understand the concept of medals/awards/decorations/commemorating the dead/whatever, maybe they have their own ceremonies and traditions, who the hell knows they're just barely this side of utterly alien (in the literal sense). My heart's desire is some kind of syncretic ceremony combining their traditions and ours in a symbol of cooperation and shared mourning but hey we'll see how it plays out.

All we need to do is say "Hey we like to commemorate our dead and award those who performed important deeds, would you be interested in being included in this?" and see what they reply with.

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Good thing this happened today and not yesterday!

Happy New Year!

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

bgreman posted:

Happy New Year!

:gibs:

your updatin' finger!!!

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

bgreman posted:

Happy New Year!

You might like hockey, but hockey does not like you.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Hockey is the devil's game. Or is it Canadian? Same thing, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bgreman
Oct 8, 2005

Zeroisanumber posted:

You might like hockey, but hockey does not like you.

Sadly, this happened while washing dishes.

:negative:

• Locked thread