Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What's the best way to get oxidized wax out of gaps and edges around trim pieces?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Cakefool posted:

I bought a 10 year old e46 tourer, PO obviously smoked a pipe. How do I get the smell out of the car, I've done nothing other than air it out so far?

Ozium is supposed to be really good for this. Supposedly, according to legend, it's so effective that some police departments consider it to be drug paraphernalia.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I use 303 Aerospace on my interior plastic and my tires. You can use it on exterior plastic too, but I'd only use it on lower body trim. It may run a bit if you use too much, and will leave an oily looking streak on the paint. It is not damaging and will wipe right off, but eh.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any tips for keeping the engine bay clean? Or is it just Simple Green and rags and effort?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Weinertron posted:

Is the porter cable dual action buffer really worth the cost? I have my own garage now and am tired of applying wax or sealant by hand, but I don't see a reason to pony up for the Porter Cable $120 buffer over a really cheap random orbit like this. Also, what pads should I get to apply something like Meguiar's M21 sealant?

I bought a cheap one like that, it broke after two uses.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

emanonii posted:

I've used it and can't recommend it enough. Here's the before and after on a '98 BMW 323:

Did you fill in one chip at a time? Or is there a note efficient way to do this?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Are polymer sealants worth it? Which one is the best/easiest?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Is orange peel on the top of the clear coat, or is it between the clear coat and the paint?

Wash, clay bar, Sonax Polymer Netshield, Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0

I think Subaru considers you lucky that your car even comes with paint.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Strawberry posted:

Washed and spray waxed my Si today, I really like Meguiar's Utimate Quick Wax. There are still random bug spots that I missed, which is really annoying. I need to find something that I can spray on that will dissolve bug guts but is safe for the paint.

My fiance hasn't washed her car in a good 2 months. About 6 weeks ago, I cleaned half of her hood with Meguiar's Quick Detailer, and then sprayed on the Quick Wax. While it is filthy enough now that both sides match, you can still see a definitive line down the middle of the hood - the one side shines just a little more through all of the dirt. I'm really surprised, I figured that spray on stuff wouldn't last more than a couple days.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Will a drive through car wash strip all the wax off of my car?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

FogHelmut posted:

My fiance hasn't washed her car in a good 2 months. About 6 weeks ago, I cleaned half of her hood with Meguiar's Quick Detailer, and then sprayed on the Quick Wax. While it is filthy enough now that both sides match, you can still see a definitive line down the middle of the hood - the one side shines just a little more through all of the dirt. I'm really surprised, I figured that spray on stuff wouldn't last more than a couple days.

Seriously 2 months with no washing with the Quick Wax. I'm impressed.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Linux Nazi posted:

I'm most impressed that you got such a perfectly straight line with an invisible liquid.

I don't remember if there's a slight ridge there, but when I originally did it, there was plenty of dirt on the hood to mark my progress.

The point I was making was trying to get her to wash her car. Say what you will about the Chevy Cobalt being a horrible death trap with bad suspension design and questionable electrical system and over poor build quality, its got pretty good looking paint when its all clean.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 13:56 on May 24, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How do I be not so terrible at touch up paint?

Also

FogHelmut posted:

Is orange peel on the top of the clear coat, or is it between the clear coat and the paint?

Wash, clay bar, Sonax Polymer Netshield, Meguiar's NXT Tech Wax 2.0

I think Subaru considers you lucky that your car even comes with paint.

Just a followup on this - the Sonax seems to have kept the beading going for the 6 months it claimed. Not as great as when new, but it didn't not bead. Also I had been waxing with the NXT once a month through the summer. I missed September and October due to a busy schedule, but it seems to have held up despite the dirt.

To get ready for winter, yesterday I washed, then did a once over with the Meguiars Quick Detailer and a microfiber, then clay bar, then the Sonax. I did not wax, mainly because it was getting dark and I was tired. I want to fix the chips, then I'll probably do a Meguiars Quick Wax spray, and get around to doing a real wax next week.

Also, clay bar the headlights. You'd be surprised what it picks up.

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Nov 9, 2014

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Don't get Sonax Polymer Netshield on your windshield. Its not easy to get off.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Salt is a protective coating, right?

It's going to be about a week until it's warm enough to even hose that off.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Gorson posted:

Need a fresh clay bar, anyone try these?

http://www.amazon.com/SODIAL--Detai...ailing+clay+bar

This is also a pretty good deal but I have so many extra detailing sprays from similar deals:

http://www.amazon.com/Mothers-07240...ailing+clay+bar

$12.93 prime, $10.99 "subscribe and save" whatever that is.

Subscribe and save means they send you a new one on a regular schedule and auto-bill you for it.

I've been using this http://www.amazon.com/Simoniz-S57-Perfect-Finish-Detailing/dp/B0081OSRQQ

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Yup, it messed up the face of my Timex (hence why I buy cheap watches.) How does it improve the headlight lens?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

So I left some duct tape on my seat and the heat caused some adhesive residue to stick to it. Any ideas how to clean this? Cloth seats.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I had a dirt spot on my seat, so I cleaned it with Resolve. Now I have a really bright clean spot on my seat.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

How do you deal with washing with very hard water? I have a black car, even with a towel there were white streaks everywhere. Waxing cleared it up, but I don't want to wax every time I wash.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Straight strokes, plenty of lube.

Mods, please change the thread title.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I had water spots from a sprinkler. Or I would call it a layer of minerals coating my car. It was days of sitting under a sprinkler that I assume was unfiltered groundwater. The only thing that got it off both the paint and the glass was Meguiars Swirl X and a lot of elbow grease.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I can't deal with this hard water. I don't want to wax every time I wash. Do I use a quick detailer? Garden hose filter? Elaborate distilled water setup?

Styles Bitchley posted:

Have a truck with very fine wiper scratches on the windshield. I can't feel them with a fingernail but they are producing a very distracting glare when night driving. Is there any sealant or wax I can try to fill this in and polish by hand? I don't have a power polisher.

Definitely a scratch and not just residue? I've heard using cleaners like Bon Ami will strip the windshield down to the pure glass without scratching. Haven't tried it myself.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

PBCrunch posted:

Do you dry your car after washes? The water at my house is quite hard, but as long as I dry the car after washing, I don't get any water spots.

Maybe try drying the car, then dumping a gallon or two of filtered water all over it and drying a second time?

That sounds like a lot of towels. Maybe I could get one of those waterblades first, I don't know.

BloodBag posted:

I have three scrapes on the roof of my subie from where the lot tard scraped the paper tape from windshield replacement off with a razor blade :ughh: well they've started rusting pretty badly. I had a plan to mask off the areas and hit them with a wire wheel and rust converting primer, then spray with the matching paint and then clear it. All rattlecan of course. Think it's gonna turn out like poo poo? I mean anything is better than it looking like a rustbucket, right?

My cousin did his bumper like that, and while it's not metal, it came out pretty unnoticeable from 5 feet away. You really have to do a lot of wetsanding though.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Suppose I do the compound/polish whatever to get rid of the swirls in the paint. How long does this last? Do they come back?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There's some kind of aeresolized sap (best phrase I could come up with) all over my car. It looks like I drove through a cloud of it. It wont come off with washing or waxing, but comes off with my fingernail. Should I try claybar or go right into some serious polishing?

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Do not park near Italian Cypress

These are very popular here in southern california, and they will poo poo all over your car. I am still picking pieces of branches from cracks when we got the santa ana winds back in October.

gently caress these trees. They will aerosolize their sap, engulfing your car in a bad spray job.

I just spent all day washing, clay baring, and rewaxing my stupid black car. I have died and I am dead.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Just sealed in all of my water spots with a layer of wax.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Ice cubes are useless, man. Chewing gum's got to be chewed out.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

My wife's mom backed into her car door. I tried the whole heat gun/canned air trick, but that only works on a very specific kind of dent. It did improve the dent, but did not fix it completely.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I don't want to do paint correction, just want to speed up my waxing - is the Porter Cable still recommended, or is there something less expensive that will get the job done?

Also will that double as a sander for wood and stuff?

FogHelmut fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 22, 2016

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

Any suggestions for cleaning leather? My wife's Ford Edge smells awful. I think the Lexol leather conditioner we used is decomposing or something. I went through the whole interior, took everything out of the car, cleaned everything, sprayed ozium, replaced the cabin air filter. It still smells terrible. I think it's the Lexol. I would like to be able to remove it entirely from the seats.

This is going to be my last go before getting a professional or trying an ozone generator.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

StormDrain posted:

I watched some video comparing a bunch of spray ceramic and the Turtle Wax spray hybrid was very impressive and cheap. I know you said wax, seemed related.

Edit:lol of course it's project farm.

https://youtu.be/uYxKQwZah1s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYxKQwZah1s

I bought the Meguiars before this video was made, and its fine, especially once you start building up the layers. Subsequent coats is a pretty easy process. I like it better than wax.

They're onto selling graphene stuff now, I have no idea if any of it is good or not.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

When I did mine, it was spray on the wet car and then dry it. That is supposed to form a bond to the paint. After that, subsequent washes only require that you spray on the wet car and rinse off with high pressure. It's supposed to bond to the existing ceramic wax. They recommend drying after that. I will say that it was definitely a better and smoother finish after the second and third washes.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

There is a layer of something on my windshield. I don't know if its hard water or what. It's invisible when things are dry. When I use the wipers with washer fluid, it leaves a shadow behind the blades momentarily of whatever is on there. Its long blotchy vertical streaks, but covering the whole thing. It rained yesterday for the first time since I bought the car 6 months ago, and whatever it is has rendered my wipers useless in the rain.

I had noticed it before and tried cleaning hard while washing the car, and followed up with 95% isopropyl. It did not seem to removed it. I have not tried Dawn or white vinegar. This morning I did try a spot with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound, which cleaned up the spot I tried it on.

Is there a low effort chemical method? I guess white vinegar is worth a shot. I don't want to try Chemical Guy's Heavy Duty Water Spot Remover because I know from experience that it will etch glass if left on too long.

Is it safe to use the Ultimate Compound with a polishing pad? Or should I try something even less abrasive? Doing it by hand had no ill effects.

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

KakerMix posted:

I didn't see it in your post but have you replaced your wipers at all?

I will be replacing them as well, but the layer of contamination is visible even when wiping the windshield with a towel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

I'll keep some steel wool handy for next time.

I cleaned the window and clay barred it, then Maguire's Ultimate Compound with a Chemical Guys green pad. I made a lot of passes and it seems to have cleaned everything up with no issues.