Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Your Lottery posted:

I got a old dry piece of veg tanned leather at a garage sale today. It's cracked where it was folded, but I figure I can get some decent pieces out of it. What is the best way to recondition it? I was thinking rubbing it with mineral oil...

I wouldn't rub oil onto it because you'll just end up waterproofing it and you need it to get wet to actually work with it (depending on what you're doing), and honestly you might find it's fine once you get the leather wet just as it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Double posting because that last post is from a few weeks ago.

Completed my first real project: a bag for watercolors/brushes. This took me around 15-20 hours, used a veg tanned natural sheepskin hide that was on sale. Finished with fiebings pro mahogany, tan-kote, and neatsfoot. I didn't end up burnishing the edges of this project because I couldn't find a way to do it with scraps of the same material that didn't just wreck the edges.

I made some mistakes, was able to fix some and will have to live with the rest. I learned from the errors and can't wait for my next project. This was a great first project because it made me do an ungodly amount of stitching, and I was able to incorporate some wet formed elements/buckles to hold the watercolor tin. The zipper was another learning experience.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Sep 10, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

Oh my gosh I love it!! You chose some really beautiful colors. The thread contrast looks great!

Did you do the strap yourself, too? Straps kind of intimidate me because they're such long, straight lines. Seems like they'd be hard to fix/fudge if you mess up.

Thanks! I did the strap, although I think I'll end up replacing it with one from normal 6-8oz veg tan leather (not sheepskin) because this single layer of sheepskin doesn't feel that strong. It doesn't really have to endure much but I'd prefer it to be sturdy. You can't really see it from the pictures but the strap is riveted to the bag as well.

I agree the colors worked out well, I bought that dye because my order of Light brown from amazon was taking forever to arrive and I wanted to get going. That's actually the only thread color I have right now (in a waxed thread). So that's my only dye and only thread so just got lucky I think.

e: you can get tools that rip straps really quickly and accurately but they're almost 50 bucks from my local Tandy. I'll probably make something that does the same thing and uses whatever razor blades with a clamp.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 02:34 on Sep 10, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Wish this thread was more active! Finished a second project, a sheath for my mom's favorite gardening shears. Not fancy leather this time. Looks sorta like a raven/crow, might do some tooling of it down the road for a beak/eye/feathers.

Burnishing is hard. I'd really like a drill-mounted burnisher.

Anyone have a good source for belt clips like these? I had a nightmare of a time finding this - ended up having to buy a cheap gun holster thing and took it off there.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Sep 20, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Another project, a knife sheath for some guy I work with who is making me a fountain pen (his hobby).

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah it was pretty cool.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

I'm looking for help or suggestions for making an eye patch. I'm not planning on making it myself but getting some ideas of what is feasible would help me when I try to explain this to someone.

The patch I'm looking to get made looks like the one from Metal Gear Solid 5

The problem I've been finding is figuring out the straps. I had one made where the patch itself looks like that but because it doesn't have a sewn on strap the style in that picture isn't feasible. It also doesn't fit great since it was either made by an old Polish or old Guatemalan guy that barely spoke English and refused to do any measurements themselves. I'm also using a cheap elastic strap from JoAnn Fabrics that's started to stretch out. Its been a shitshow basically but for my first try it isn't bad. I'm basically looking for an eye patch in that style that won't stretch out. It would also need to stay in position when I'm at the gym or doing some other physical activity. I could probably also use some help sizing it since I was also figuring that out on the fly.

Some pictures of the patch I have and how it fits:

Are you making this yourself? If not just show that picture to someone else and have them make it.

• Use dark stitching
  • That strap should work just have it sewn on properly and add a section for the third bit that goes up over the ear, have it sewn on where it meets the back of the longer strap behind your head
  • Burnish the edges of the leather

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

limp_cheese posted:

I found someone that was willing to make it. He wasn't sure about conditioning the leather since it was going to be touching skin. Does that sound right or is there something else I should have asked?

Did you take 'burnishing' to mean 'conditioning'? Burnishing the edges of leather makes it look better and makes it more resistant.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Looks great, do you have any pics of the interior?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Did a rabbit harness for a work colleague who's bunny is I guess way smaller than the XS commercially available harnesses. Also, I guess people have rabbits and use harnesses on them - who knew. It's sheepskin and I took the hardware from the too-big XS one she had bought.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pagan posted:

Yeah, order of operations matters a lot. I need to get in the habit of punching holes AFTER dying, but I never do. I think it looks a lot better, but I am in the habit (somehow) of cutting and punching holes in the very beginning.

I think it's personal preference. If you're using a very contrasting color of thread to the dye of the leather then having undyed leather showing a bit in the holes is no problem, but if you're trying to hide the thread a bit it makes more sense to dye after you punch the holes. I generally dye after I punch holes but use a light thread on a dark dye.

e: My order of operations fuckup is always forgetting the tan-kote before I sew sheaths closed. You want it where the blade slides in and sits so it prevents the leather from catching the blade and getting damaged but I always have to apply it at the end with a finger into the sheath.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jaxyon posted:

I had a friend leave me a massive box of good leather (thick veg tan stuff) when they moved, and I'm looking to get into this.

There's a large selection of swivel knives around, and they all look kinda the same with wildly different prices. Any recommendations?

For carving the leather you mean? I have no idea. If you're looking for a knife for actually cutting the leather I recommend just any box cutter that you like and a round knife if you're needing more control over corners.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

I am trying to to an 8 plait wrap of a 1" wooden handle and the only videos I can find are really grainy quality ones for floggers, or ones for paracord wraps that start in the middle of the process.

Are there any good resources for learning how to do this kind of 1 over 1 under diamond pattern braid? Some bullwhip maker videos are better, but none seem to start at step one.

Images or video would be a help.

Thanks.

I think you can follow what they do here and adapt it for 8 plait? Near the bottom of the page it's a 4 plait you should be able to treat an 8 like 2 4's if that makes sense.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheNothingNew posted:

That looks like you need a decent amount of pressure to get it to take. Are you doing anything to protect the skin side of the leather while you're working the back?

I don't think you'd need to worry about it provided you had the leather laying on a clean surface. I do think though that you could get to that point on the flesh side with just some water->tankote.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

This thread has a lot of cool info in it. If I'm burnishing an edge, should I dye before or after burnishing? It seems like gum trag makes the dye not take as well.

I dye before.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

That's what I figure I'll try next. I'm still at the point of just trying techniques on scrap pieces before I tackle a real project. Also I managed to snap two needles in a row - I think my holes might be too small! Also I managed to bend the tines of my diamond punch somehow. I'm very bad at this.

What are you using under the leather when you're punching? I use an old plastic cutting board with cardboard taped onto the top of it so I can get full depth penetration with the punch. There are different sizes of punch tine so make sure you have the right one for your thread.I'm assuming you didn't mean your awl?

When you say you snapped needles do you mean the ones you're passing through the punched holes? You shouldn't be making new holes with needles in this hobby :v

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

I did my test punching on top of a big paperback dictionary. I meant the punch, but they were cheap chinese punches from Amazon so it's totally possible they're made of lovely metal.

And for the needles, I read somewhere that if they needles don't pass through easily, to use pliars to pull them through. This led to broken needle eyes :downs: - I guess there's no harm in going back over my punched holes with an awl to make sure they're nice and open?

In addition to what Trabant said, it does seem like maybe you're not getting full depth with the punch. You'll notice there is a tapered edge (of course) on the tines and if you don't get the material past that onto the full width section of tines your punched holes will be much much smaller. Just putting a couple layers of cardboard on top of a textbook or that dictionary should allow your punch to travel farther through the leather.

The tines definitely should not bend or warp or anything. I have some tandy ones (I think) that weigh far more than they have any right to and do a fine job.

Pulling the needles through with pliers certainly is necessary sometimes in my experience. Something I find helps is that once you've put your sewing material through the needle eyelet and you've tied it off, use those pliers to squeeze and compress the knot you just tied so it can be pulled through the leather more easily.

I've bent a few awls and all but stopped using them for anything but opening up an existing hole. I'm not sure if the ones I had are relatively bad or what but they don't seem to do the job I want them to do.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

cakesmith handyman posted:

Progress! I ordered a cheap gouger/beveling tool and 2 thicknesses of proper veg tan leather (2 & 4.5mm, drat that's thick) picked something I often carry around at work (an 18650 torch) and made a holster. This time I did the 2 needles thing too:

It's too small for the torch despite measuring a couple of times, I want to try wet forming it tomorrow.

Looks good - make sure you wet form before you stitch (and before you cut the leather to final dimensions). Once dry, use Tan-kote on the inside of the leather where the tool will slide in and out - it will harden it up and let the tool egress from the holster more easily and without damaging/scoring the leather. If you're going to be attaching a belt clip make sure you do this before wet forming because you won't be able to get to it once the leather is hardened 'shut'.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Thanks for the advice. I have a serious adversion to wasting material I'm trying to get over, so starting oversize wouldn't occur to me :v:. I'll slip a keyloop through the tab and call this done for a pen and start another.

I can get 1l of Tan Kote for £23, is this something I'll use a lot of or should I grab the 4oz bottle for £10?

4 oz sounds more reasonable.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Ordered thanks. I'll play with wet forming while I wait 2 weeks for that to turn up.

What thread are you using for your stitching? It almost looks like it isn't waxed but it's hard to say.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

It is waxed, it's just what turned up in the cheap kit I bought, a reel of black, white and rainbow.

Cool. You can use a flat hammer to tap the stitch down and flatten it out after you're done stitching - just an aesthetic thing.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TerryLennox posted:

I have a question for the thread.

How much would a custom made pair of cowboy like boots run to?

Not asking exactly for a quote just a ballpark figure.

To be honest it'd be better to be asking that in a cobbler thread or a specific bootmaking thread, it's an entirely different thing than leatherwork as a craft. I don't think we have either thread so I'll guess it's around 700CAD.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

My tan cote order was cancelled, before I go reordering can someone confirm the following for me:

The process should be to clean/strip the leather first, my wife has donated a bottle of deglazer that should do this, then dye if necessary, rub/buff when dry then finish with some kind of sealer, this is the tan cote right? If I'm not dyeing and it's new clean leather the tan cote is just a protective finish?

Also any wet shaping should be done before stitching? When should I burnish the edges, before or after the protective finish?

What do you do if you get water marks on something before finishing?

Finally what do you do to the flesh side of the leather inside a bag?

I've tried googling these but there are a million different opinions available of course.

You should watch some Ian Atkinson videos (https://www.youtube.com/user/satansbarber/videos), he does a lot of sheaths and such and it might help to see the whole process in order.

I've never used deglazer with my veg tan leather. My process is:

1- Cut leather to rough size (oversize a little)
2 - Wet form the leather and let dry:
- Make sure when you're working the wet material around with your fingers that your nails don't scratch the leather at this point. Don't use any tool with a hard edge that will mark the leather up.
- Make sure you're not forming leather in where the object needs to pull out - like don't trap the object in there with the leather, it's easy to do and you feel awfully stupid afterwards
- Can be good to wrap the object in kitchen cling wrap if you don't want it getting wet. Wooden handles and such can swell if you wrap wet leather around them for a long time so I always cling wrap whatever I'm forming
3 - Once dry, dye the leather (usually 2-3 applications). Be aware that dye will wet the leather so make sure you don't let it lose it's form by manipulating it too aggressively
4 - Use those clips for large stacks of paper to keep the leather pinched together where I want it and cut to size
5 - Use the grooving tool to lay out where I'll be stitching
6 - Use a punch to make the holes for the stitching
7 - TanKote the inside. I do this before stitching so that I can open the sheath a bit for access if it's a 1 piece thing and not a clamshell style. I find it helpful to work the leather in one direction only with the tankote so you're slicking it down and not bringing up the fibers
8 - Carefully apply contact cement where the leather will be held together just on the outside of the stitching holes that are punched
9 - Saddle stitch and tap the stitch down with a flat hammer (make sure you don't hit it with a hammer that has a pattern on the striking face)
10 - Burnish the edges (I bevel the edges a bit first with a skiv but careful you can really gently caress up the piece if you make a mistake)
11 - Apply neatsfoot oil - a couple applications.

I don't think I've noticed any issue with water marks - it should dry and look the same as anywhere else.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 17:13 on Aug 22, 2019

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Jerry Cotton posted:

I have a leather wallet that is just fine otherwise but the see-through plastic on one side the driver's license compartment has cracked at the edges near the leather. I don't see any way for anyone to fix it other than some sort of adhesive - does such a thing exist?

tl;dr: is there an glue for plastic-to-leather?

Contact cement maybe would work.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Dienes posted:

Looks like a pyramid-tip awl, but I think those are usually 4-sided?

Yeah, I think maybe for something like saddlemaking or similar.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sweet As Sin posted:

I made a knife sheath for my bf. My stitching still needs work, but I'm happy. It's my own design and I made it from scratch.

Looks really great.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That mousepad looks great but I wonder if it's going to be totally hopeless as an actual mousepad.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Pagan posted:

Toolchat for leatherworkers : What is the best cutting knife you've seen?

I mostly use a utility knife with disposable razor blades, but that works best for straight cuts and isn't great for curves. Next favorite is the round knife. I have a love / hate relationship with this tool. It's weird shape makes it difficult to use, but it's thin blade does cut pretty well. I've also made a few knifes of my own, and one or two shapes have worked out in varying degrees. So, what do you like for cutting leather?

I use a round knife for small radius corners and one of the olfa box cutters with the thicker of the two blades (taller?). I bought the blades in bulk and swap them the minute things feel less sharp.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Basic Poster posted:

So a few months ago I started watching vids on n LW and was just entranced. To my chagrin I googled Tandy retail locations and the closest one was like 5 hours away.

Them the other day I did it again, and no idea he w I missed it but there is one 30 minutes away!!!

So I trotted down there, SUPER nice people working there, and handily it's in some sort of crafting district where within a block there are several art, fabric, wood, music supply stores...really great stuff and all adjacent. Lucky to know about it!

All I bought was three books and the free catalog. Hoping to have a Rona free leather working winter.

One question I had, mostly going to be into making bushcrafting stuff. Belts, slings, pouches, bags, sheaths, scabbards, holsters. My wife bought a bag that is a chrome tan product that I really like the look of, and I also liked this 4-6iz buffalo side Tandy had, but neither of these are 10-12oz veg. How disappointed am I setting myself up to be if I used a lighter buffalo or chrome for my purposes?

E: this is her bag

I don't know that non-veg leather is going to hold wet form the way you'd want it to when you do holsters/sheaths/etc. That's primarily what I've done with my LW thus far and it's been essential to have that form hold strong.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Trabant posted:

It's been more than a year since I made anything with leather so I made a silly thing to see whether I still know how to saddle-stitch:

The good news is that I do! I also started casting on the back of the piece -- highly recommended, by the way -- and I'm generally pleased with it, except:

The bad news is that I was let down by my inability to punch holes in a straight or consistent line, even with one scratched in using dividers. I'm blaming the randomly missed/misaligned stitches on my use of an arbor press on the floor rather than a mallet on my desk, you know, like a sane person would. I'll have to rethink whether I do any more leatherwork with my current setup or just wait until I have more/better space.

Anyway! This is basically a straight copy of the one shown here although I winged my own pattern (thought $20 was steep) and with some minor construction differences. I burnished the edges instead of painting them, and I didn't stich the upper card holder section to the outside -- I didn't think having a stitch line through the middle of the outer layer looked all that great. It took almost exactly 1/2 sq. ft. of Wickett & Craig dark brown bridle of about 1.4mm, Tandy's 3mm pricking irons, some thread of :iiam: provenance, and a Tandy Line 20 snap.

I think that looks great, good work.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yep just use a mold to get the shape you want, then apply Tan-Kote after you dye it to give it some water resistance.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I think they're saying they would make a positive and negative of the same shape and put the leather in between and clamp them together.

Honestly it's so easy to wet form leather that you might just be able to get away with one mold. I have a flat tool with rounded edges that I use to press the leather around shapes and you'd want something similar to make sure that you got good 90deg corners on the inside angles.

Once dry it's remarkable how well leather holds it's shape. This sheath I made for some shears is impossible to compress near the 'beak' part:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PirateDentist posted:

Arise thread, and gaze upon my amateur work! This is the second thing I've made, a moleskine journal cover for a friend as a gift. It's not perfect, but he certainly didn't care. Even as I stared at mistakes with a death glare and a smile while berating myself inside. I'd have probably made another one and kept this if I had time, but I was already burning the Christmas Eve oil to finish it in time. It was still a ton of fun, and looking forward to the next project, with less of a time restriction. (And supplies to make two for practice...)

I think that looks great, I'm sure your friend would be very happy with it.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Rotten Cookies posted:

Thanks! For the stitch holes I held my ruler to the leather and made a small mark with an awl every 1/8" or so, then came back and hammered them in. They aren't completely even, but maybe I think that just because I spent hours stating at it 6 inches away from my face.

You may already know this but you can get a stitching wheel that will make that process a lot easier, specifically on curved edges where you can't use a punch.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

theflyingexecutive posted:

Is it cheating to use trauma shears on leather? I find myself really chewing up the cuts with a head knife (admittedly I have a super cheap one) or xacto and want to know if I'll be screwing myself further down the line

If the results are good it's fine. Any exposed edges should be burnished at the end anyways so you won't see any kind of small texturing from the pattern on the shears.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

TheNothingNew posted:

Change the blade on your razor, or sharpen your head knife. Leather messes up your edge fast.

I've never been happy with the results I've gotten from scissors, but if you're working with, say, really floppy chrome tan they may be the only real option.

Yeah one of the first things that anyone should be buying in this trade is a pack of blades. I also recommend having a very large one for big long straight cuts. This is my go to:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I've been meaning to replace the sheath of my grandfather's knives for a while now, minor cockup I cut it backwards but no biggy. Waiting for new snap fasteners to turn up then I'll call it done. If it turns out to need the rivets I'll restitch and rivet later.

Next task, clean up and sharpen the knives.

Not sure if you've done this a few times before or not, but I recommend using a few applications of Tan-Kote where the knife will be sliding in and out of the sheath. This will protect the leather.

Since at the moment it's still raw veg tan you can also wet form it around the knife so that the knife blade 'wants' to sit in the center and not against your stiching (less of a concern if you glued it along where the stiches are but it's hard to tell).

Looks good. Grandpa would be proud.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That bag looks honestly really great.

Trabant posted:

I genuinely think black + gold looks better than black + nickel would, for example. And like you said, if the customer is happy that's all that matters :)

Is this the roller you mentioned?

https://www.rmleathersupply.com/products/edge-paint-roller?variant=12411551939

I always wondered whether that's actually useful or a gimmick, so it's good to hear there's something to it. I'll see YouTube leatherworkers use an awl with good results, while my attempts were garbage :negative:

If you're dealing with thick enough leather it's not so bad IMO. Its 2 am on my night shift right now and I'm exhausted and can't remember the product but if you bevel or lightly sand your edges and use that tree gum stuff on the edge, you get a good surface that is primed for a fantastic burnish. You can also use sharpie on black edges which probably isn't much better than the paint.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

iwentdoodie posted:

Yep, thats it. It doesn't give that nice rounded edge look, at least from my experience, but it looks better than anything else I could do to the edge. I have wrist issues that cause hand shaking, so awls and that are right out for doing edge paint sadly.

Thanks for all the kind words, very much appreciated. The black/gold looks good, I just personally prefer contrast stitching and edge colors.

Re: the shaking, you can get burnishing tools that mount to the end of a drill and you spin the tool and slowly advance it along the edge.

The gum I was thinking of is gum tragacanth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah please keep posting. I've been keeping my eye out for projects but I haven't needed to make anything recently and I'm strictly against myself making things like wallets/belts where a better version exists relatively affordably.