Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
When I played classic EQ during the Kunark / Velious era, I only ever got to the 30's. Does anybody have an approximation for how long it would take a character to reach max level in terms of total playtime? I remember a friend of mine in high school having over 60 days of gameplay on his character, but he was also in a raiding guild so I don't know how much of that was actually time spent leveling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Thinking about giving this a try during the exp bonus period since EQMac is destined for the great beyond. (RIP EQMac :smith:)

Which would be the better solo class - monk or necromancer? I always enjoyed both way back in the day.

Also does the goon guild still have folks in it? I added myself to the roster in the OP, but it doesn't seem like many others are on there and none appear to be online at the moment. How do I hook up with other goons on the server for groups and such?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah I might give necro a go then. I always liked the flexibility that feign death offered, but spells are just so much fun. :3:

Would you happen to have any links to old necro soloing guides? I was able to find this excellent one for monks from classic EQ, but haven't found anything else as well-written or explanatory for necromancers.

Also I am leaning Iksar for the AC and regen that they get, but is there a better race to play as a Necromancer? Ultravision on Dark Elves is quite nice as I recall, but I think Iksar are still king of soloing yeah?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Well I made an Iksar Necromancer. Time to start racking up a nice fat stack of bone chips in Lake of Ill Omen!

In as Xeirak. Would love a guild invite. I should be on later today after work.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

aparmenideanmonad posted:

I just parked Illtair over in FOB to get the new Iksar people tags and starting cash. Bug Integ/Swashy to log him on if I'm not around.

Also, thanks to Inimical for a few weapons to hand out to new people.

Also also, reminder - if you're active and not shy, add your characters to the new roster.
Form for adding - https://docs.google.com/forms/d/13LGeG7QV8mTi3LDv9Gxf2iqztLeqeAbyzybIvv1xid0/viewform
Roster - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AnGFnqPeZUEFdHBHWUc0am15VzJRMExSMUNKeTJ0X3c&usp=sharing

:toot:

Iksar represent!

Also my god, this wiki really is incredible. I can't stop reading it. Full of helpful tips and lore!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

iNteg posted:

Aww Yisss, ding 58. 2 more levels to go...

Any of you other new guys that haven't caught me on yet, or caught me in EC/WC, try to get to me if you still haven't been hit up for newbie stuff.

I'll take some necromancer gear if you are willing to come down to Cabilis. :smith:

Otherwise I can try to make the trip up to EC/WC. I am 14 now, so I have invisibility. Speaking of which, does invisibility work for "everything except undead" or are there a bunch of random exception mobs around the world and in various towns that are going to get me killed as an Iksar?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Cbear posted:

Can I install Duxa's installer without using his UI?

Yes, I think you just need to uncheck it when running the installer. I did exactly this on mine.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
A lot of goons are starting up right now. Help contribute to the cause. Be part of the solution. Pick <Unknown Guild>!!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I can tell you are very motivated. :)

<Supremacy> seems to have a lot of folks in the lower range. <Knights Who Say Ni> are a very helpful bunch who actively go out into the community to provide buffs for newbies and offer advice and suggestions (I am personally a member of the Stembolt Fan Club.)

That said, there really are some great people in the goon guild who are willing to provide startup money, items, and advice in spades. Illtair in particular has been incredible. Dude camped a quest mob all day for me just to get a drop required for an amulet he is trying to assemble for me. All out of the goodness of his heart. I didn't even ask him to do it. How could you say "no" to that!?

Our guild name is also the best bar none. :colbert:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Copout posted:

So I decided to play some Everquest. I got on my enchanter, asked for some buffs at the EC tunnel, and found a scarab beetle to attack. Two more showed up and slaughtered me. I respawned, looted my corpse, went back to the tunnel and got more buffs. Ok, no more scarab beetles. I went out and found a puma and promptly got run over by a griffin. Is there a 'that's everquest' smiley?

:shobon: seems to encapsulate this adorable post nicely.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
The players on this server are so ridiculously nice. I'm just not used to human beings acting generally this awesome in a video game.

I say Hail to a random guy who is sitting outside of Kurn's Tower as I'm heading back in to solo. We strike up a conversation. Turns out he's coming back after a year hiatus. Immediately, he offers to help me level. He cons red to me and can handle anything inside Kurn's. We zone in and he spends time running around rounding up mobs, getting them low health, then zoning out so that I can kill them and get the exp. After doing this for half an hour, he decides it's not efficient enough for me so he runs out to find a SoW, then comes back to continue the power leveling.

I am going to have so much paying-it-forward to do by the time I hit the level cap.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wondermoose posted:

Rolled an Iksar Warrior, if I could get a guild tag that would be awesome. Should be on 9pm EST to 'way too late.' Character name is Vasrin.

Assuming that we all have the ability to invite (do we?) I can hop on and get you tagged. I am currently hanging out in Kurn's Tower for one more level, then I'm off for LOIO and Warsliks Woods.

Never leave Kunark crew checking in. :smug:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Kurn's is such ridiculous exp though. The modifier on that zone is huge. You would fly through 16-20 in no time there (plus you could hang out with me!) For AFKing, I have just been zoning out of the entrance and idling on the side of the tower where the mobs don't path.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Logging in now hanging out in Kurn's Tower. If anybody needs to get guild tagged, whisper Xeirak in-game or post here and I'll come find you on Kunark!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Will it ever come back? Is EQ dead forever now? I'm scared guys. :ohdear:

edit: I think they are coming back!!! :toot:

edit2: Everything Down again. :argh:

Siets fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Nov 13, 2013

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Iksar is the only way to play this game. Don't look back!

(Seriously, the challenge makes it 10x as fun. Besides, all the folks trade in the East Commonlands tunnels anyways, so who cares if you can't walk around in Freeport? v:shobon:v)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So has the Ratting Rapture happened yet? Are all ISKtar hulls now nothing but cold floating husks endlessly drifting through the dark depths of space?

(I am legitimately curious.)

e: Wrong thread!

Siets fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 19, 2013

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
There were pages upon pages of discussion from a few weeks ago where people were predicting the end of AFK ratting as we know it by hot-dropping interceptors swarming Deklein post-Rubicon. I am referring to that.

e: Wrong thread, holy poo poo, woops! Sorry for the Evechat.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
So I read the thread on the P99 forums about the DDoSing. Sounds like they have implemented changes to their datacenter's networking and set up an attack profile to intercept the incoming traffic flood. A few posts make it sound like the lag only lasts for a few minutes at a time before the profile is recognized and service restores. Anybody able to confirm this? I'd like to log in and play, but I'm scared to go level in Ocean of Tears and then have to do a corpse run because of DDoSing. :(

Also curious if the exp bonus is back up to 50%, and if so, for how long? Rogean posted saying it would return to 50% on the 18th of this month in honor the of the EQMac shutdown, but he didn't say in that post how long it would stay at 50%.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You can check if you have officer by doing:

/guildstatus

Then if you do, just do /guildinvite.

I have officer, and would be happy to invite any new Iksar on Kunark. I am back to leveling at the Warslik Woods giant fort at the moment. Just send a whisper to Xeirak. I am usually on every evening (except tonight I guess the power is out at my place... :argh:)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Let's take this thread to happy places! Does anybody have newbie necro items around that I could take off their hands? I would love you long time.

I am currently humming along to the tune of level 26 now and show no signs of stopping! Having too much fun grouping with Sidhlot and Waynes!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Made close to 500 plat today over the course of a few hours of trading (also thanks to Sirduh for the donation!) My dreams of becoming a stupidly wealthy AH baron are slowly coming to fruition! :getin:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I am on almost every night during US prime time and will help folks get guild invites. Just whisper Xeirak in-game. I am bound in East Commons tunnel, so it is now easy for me to get ports and get to folks wherever they are.

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Sheeit. Let's make this trio a proper group before you guys out-level me. Do you want a 23 wizard or 21 shaman?

Maed is getting caught up to us again, but he's going fast. While he levels, I am sitting tight at 26 and working on trading to make some plat in the meantime. Which character do you like more? I'm sure either will work fine. Wizard brings the CC and shaman brings awesome buffs. Both would be really nice for our ranger/necromancer duo at the moment.

Maed, as soon as you get caught up, I vote the three of us head over to Ocean of Tears and camp the sisters for a weekend.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
How are all of you people rolling with fungi tunics? :smith:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Wondermoose posted:

If you guys want a tank in Ocean of Tears this weekend, I have a 24 Paladin. I would love to come if I'm high enough level.

I think 24 is the minimum entry level, so you're all good. More the merrier!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Special thanks to Big Sirduh for the help on getting my next level of spells. You rock.

Came here also to post my love of Sirduh! Dude took me down to Droga for a nice Sunday power-leveling session!

(Just don't go AFK on him lest you invoke his wrath! :ohdear:)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I seem to have hit a snag with my trading. I put most of my money into a Froglok Bonecaster's Robe thinking it would sell, but I just can't seem to find even one buyer. I first tried listing at 3800 hoping someone desperate to twink would pick it up, but then later dropped to 3500 when it wasn't moving. I haven't even got any of the usual reseller messages low-balling me either.

I saw the item posted a lot in auctions and I also see a lot of casters wearing it, so I am just wondering if I am having a string of bad luck or if really nobody wants the robe and I misjudged the market for it?

(I need to go back to reselling Book of Obulus. People sure love having themselves an open book!)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
If nobody contacts you, I can be on tonight with my necromancer to pick it up. I don't need any of it, but I am pretty active and can hold onto it to pass to another newbie who might need it later. IGN: Xeirak.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DaiJiaTeng posted:

Hoppy Goodness,

I'd be happy to help you out. Where are you at? I'm at Guk, if you are far from there maybe we can find another Goon to help us port if over to you.

Or I could hand it off to Siets and he could get it to you (if that is cool with you, Siets).

If it is good for you I can do Tuesday morning or night EST. 9 o'clock morning or night would be fine for me.

Let me know!

Totally fine to pass off some items. Rhume, I've made some plat that I can give to you too. Gotta pay it forward since I was given the hookup when I started too!

Right now I am rotating between EC tunnels and Southern Karanas, but I can easily make my way over to Guk. There's a few quest items I want to snag in Guk anyways. I almost have everything I need for the Shadowbound gear quests, as well as the Harvester quest.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

DaiJiaTeng posted:

Alright, when do you plan on being on next? I can try to hop on.

I can be on right around 5-7pm CST tonight. Might go hang out with a friend later. I'll be on every other night this week though after 5pm CST.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Pillow Armadillo posted:

Buy 2 cloudy potions and 8 stacks of Red Wine. Run to Neriak 3rd gate and turn the wine in 4 at a time to Lokar T'Biath in the Library for guard and merchant faction. Then Neriak will be your home away from home.

This sounds amazing. I did kill some of the dark elf guards for a time while I was in my 20's though. Am I screwed, or do I just need to get the merchant even more drunk?

Also, is there any command in-game that lets me see my faction modifiers? Or do you just have to keep conning until you change to dubious?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
For ranger twinking, I've always been a fan of full Ivy Etched armor. It looks awesome, even if the stats aren't great. :colbert:

On an 8k budget, you could also easily dual wield two Short Swords of Ykesha as well as pimp out all of your jewelry slots with things like Platinum Fire Wedding Rings extra HP and AC.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Feedbacker posted:

Buy one of those nice, cheap ranger-only 2H weapons like Swarmcaller, Silver Swiftblade, Springwood Stave, or Nature's Wrath. Looks like all of those run less than 500, according to wiki prices.

Silver Swiftblade is what Maed went with on his recent twinked Ranger. Maybe he can comment on how well it worked.

I recommended the Short Swords of Ykesha because they have a decent ratio of 0.3 and the Ykesha proc is a 75 damage nuke that conveniently gets around the damage cap at low levels. Kinda like the Wu's Trance Stick for rangers. They slice through low level mobs like butter. The price per sword seems to vary from 600 to 1000 plat, so a set should easily fit the budget.

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Huh, and all these years I thought they worked that way. :smith: (My friend who played a ranger back in Live days told me they did!)

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
ohno, I try to withhold judgment on people that I haven't met before, but your posts seem a little confusing.

You say that you "like the competition" but then also state that there is currently no competition from other guilds with TMO's dominance. So what it seems like you actually like is stomping on others and then laughing about it with your buddies in the poker room later. I personally feel there's a difference between "competition" and "one-sided stomp", but maybe you don't see it that way.

I clicked the ? under your account and read through your post history. You seemed like a really cool dude! Then you joined TMO. You still seemed pretty cool for a bit, but after that your posts slowly turned into Fox News "the poor are poor because they are lazy" republican party-line drivel. You can almost see exactly where the groupthink started to set in.

Here's another fun game I like to play on SA. It's called "argue with the poster by using his own posts!" Here's one of yours:

ohno posted:

Rogean seems to like the server drama. Anytime people talk about rotating mobs, it always goes back to "rise (or stoop) to their level in order to compete". Currently, TMO doesn't want FE to gear up and FE has to gear up to compete with TMO, so the standard grid lock ensues.

You straight up admit that it is all about preventing the possibility of competition. What would your solution be in this case to would-be contenders? What is their path?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
In non-good-ol-boy related drama, I have now given Lokar To'Biath over 1000 bottles of Red Wine. Yet, I am still hated by DreadguardInner and DreadguardOuter. (The merchants love me now though!)

Do we have any idea what the negative faction cap is? I killed some dark elf guards in my 20's and am wondering if I should keep plinking away at this or if it is too wide a chasm to cross? Are there any other ways to raise dark elf guard faction other than this one at a time turn-in poo poo?

:smith:

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Alright, you guys have given me hope then! Hopefully I am most of the way there. Also many thanks to Jherec for helping me charm Lokar for the first round of turn-ins!

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

:master:

I have waited so long to use this smilie. So. Long. This... This is the time for masterstroke to be posted.

Exciting times on Project 1999! I will be very curious to see how the end-game scene plays out.

What does this mean for the economy though? Can the duped plat be tracked?

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

aparmenideanmonad posted:

Duped plat can be tracked through logs which will also show most RMT transactions (cases where plat went to a character for nothing or for an incommensurate set of items), but by now much of it will be in the hands of people who engaged in legit transactions. All the plat that was on those accounts, as well as the items that were bought with such plat (which includes least one pre-nerf fungi staff) will be gone.

Does this mean I might lose random amounts of plat and/or items from my character? Or are you just saying that the initial offenders are going to lose their accounts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Siets
Sep 19, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

xZAOx posted:

Unless you were involved in actual RMT or duping, you're fine. Once the pp is "in the wild", the damage is done, they aren't going to go after it.

Ok yeah, that was what I was concerned about. I haven't ever done any RMT/duping or the like. I was just worried that they were going to try and purge everything that was "dirty" from the economy no matter how far the transactions went or something.

• Locked thread