Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

The robust population on P99 interests me, but the ban on multiboxing is a deal killer. Is there some way around the rule? Can I buy a "premium" account to have the ability to dualbox?

I'm not interested in running a 5man hydra, just want to make a nice duo so I can play at my own leisure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Arakan posted:

Apply for an IP exemption. This is how people get around the no boxing rule. You still might get caught if you play in populated zones during peak hours though.

Do the GMs actually make an effort to verify if two chars from the same IP are different people? Or do they just ban first and ask questions later?

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Nostalgia is a bitch, but this server is amazing.

Just started playing this week, as Iegan the Bard. I'm 13 now and levelling at a decent pace, whenever I can get a group together. Are there any active goon or goon-friendly guilds?

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Bybus Slago posted:

Is there anywhere to find good suggestions on gear to get for varoius classes that isn't the wiki? Past the pre-planar recommendations its all expensive or raid-level gear, and I'm not familiar enough with Kunark to know what sort of mid level stuff is available. Primarily looking for monk and caster stuff.

Post what you've got/what you want and your budget and I'm sure someone can help you out. There are also some posts on the P99 melee forums about monk gear.. here's one: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=172140

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Bybus Slago posted:

Gear right now is pretty basic monk stuff. Full set of Wu's minus chest and sleeves (foremans tunic and azure silk respectively). 5/55 rings, crappy earrings, and quivering staff / knuckle duster+trance stick for weapons. Weapons are fine, just mostly looking for some upgrades to the wu's. I have a 45 mage with ~1500p, and I don't mind camping or questing for stuff I'm able to do.

Check out Dalnir for some Crescent armor: http://wiki.project1999.com/Crescent_Armor_Set

It's free and pretty drat good.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Hexel posted:

Level 40 now and just bought an FBSS :unsmith: found a new cash spot as well- Gornit in OOT drops anywhere from 5-26pp and some gold per kill along with toes (sell to mages 10-50p) + fine steel/research words. 6 minute spawn, cons blue to 40.

In between spawns, you can clear out the gargoyle island for some extra cash too. They drop 1-3 eyes per kill, which sell for 9pp each to vendors and I believe are used in some cultural tradeskilling.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

FranktheBank posted:

Just got the game loaded up. I almost never played a Tank back in original, but ever since Everquest, every single MMO I have been MT in. If I am looking to complete near end game content, should I just say screw it and make a War? Or should I roll something else to try to farm gear for the warrior first?

I think I remember that the solo game gets real hard at 30ish? Is there high demand for Warriors, or is there enough knights where my I would sit LFG for a while? Thanks guys!

If you plan on raiding, have a guild lined up, and know you'll be main tanking, roll a Warrior. Otherwise, just roll a paladin or SK. They are much better tanks for group content, and the exp penalty will go away some time after Velious is released. In Kunark, Warriors honestly kind of suck for group content until you're well geared. There also isn't any group content that you need discs to tank, aside from maybe juggs in Sebilis.

Paladin gear is dirt cheap, SK gear less so but still on the lower side compared to other classes.

edit: Tanks in general are uncommon, but Warriors are definitely the most common. Also people tend to judge non-twinked Warriors more harshly than a PAL/SHD

nyclin fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Mar 30, 2015

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

FranktheBank posted:

I don't have any connections, was just wanting easy groups and love tanking. So PLD or SK would be better? I've never played a PLD. I had a little experience with an SK years ago. Is SK only more popular because Iksar? Or are SKs better?

SKs are better solo, Paladins are arguably the better exp group tank because of stuns. SKs have excellent snap aggro with Disease Cloud, whereas Paladins use blind to guarantee aggro and can stun things.

I prefer Paladins for my groups, but honestly either one is great.

Iksar or Ogre are considered the best SK races. I prefer Iksar because stun immunity isn't really important for group content, and the extra AC/regen is nice.
Dwarf or High Elf are the best Paladin races. Dwarf gets very nice base stats, and High Elves have nice base WIS and get a sweet epic quality 2hander in Velious that's pretty easy to get: http://wiki.project1999.com/Natures_Defender

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

A Strange Aeon posted:

Maybe not, but being effectively locked out of a huge chunk of content is a fairly high price to pay. I know, just make an alt, but it's still a large commitment to not visiting a sizeable number of zones. And I'm assuming we're talking about a main who you would presumably want to be playing a lot.

Iksar have no issues with epic quests or anything in Plane of Sky. They're fine in Kunark (which you can level from 1-60 in), and in Velious there is no faction penalty.

The only content you'd have issues with are quests from major cities, most of which are either broken, have useless rewards, or are just there to facilitate faction grinding.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

The best part of Velious is the raiding content, all of which will be perma-dead on this server. Most live servers had maybe 2-3 guilds capable of clearing NToV. On P99, there are at least 5 guilds and 2 of those take poopsocking to an absurd extreme. It's nice that Velious is coming out, but this server is too top-heavy for its own good.

It also doesn't help that the raiding scene is hilariously toxic, moreso than any of the servers that I played on or was a guide on during live.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Dr. Video Games 0150 posted:

I'm still not sure there's much I can do as an enchanter other than gate or dispel buffs. I know a big component of pvp is setting up rapture cc (unresistable mez) but I'm worried about folks self-casting DOTs on themselves even when I get to that point.

As an Enchanter you're basically relegated to dispel & tash duty on R99. Chaotic Feedback doesn't have the same resist check as it used to on live (was rarely fully resisted), so you can't interrupt effectively. Skilled players will self-DOT with a potion that I can't remember the name of - its a very weak DOT.. Stinging Wort maybe?

You still have pretty beastly dispels, though.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Get like 2k saved up and then go to EC and buy low/sell high until you're rolling in plat. Low-ish value items are the best thing to do this with, because you'll frequently get higher level players who just want the bank/inventory slot open so they're happy to sell something for 1.8k rather than the 2.5k they're asking. It also helps to play the "I'm new" card, at least until people recognize you.

Use http://ahungry.com/eqauctions and the wiki to compare prices and go to town.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

RedSiver posted:

Thanks for all of the advice guys, I really appreciate it! My necro is an iksar so it sounds like paineel might be out, but I've done the gargoyles in OoT before so I think I might head there to generate some to get some extra cash together. Do you guys know if the CoS nerf hits as soon as Velious launches or is it farther into the future after the launch? The other thing I was thinking is getting my druid to lvl 29 so I can start porting people, do you think that would generate a decent income? I know people pay for ports but I don't know if that's a lucrative route to go or not.

Selling ports is tedious, but consistent income. Join Dial A Port (if that's still a thing) and hang out in places like EC and Overthere. The only problem with selling ports is that you'll get stiffed sometimes. People seem to get pissy unless you're just asking for "donations" or "tips" which assholes view as optional. Upside: porting assholes to Toxx when they ask you for another port.

EC flipping is a much better option for starting income IMO. No level requirement, and you can get started with as little as 200 plat; it just takes longer to get to the point where you're able to make a significant amount per trade. You can also do it on your druid, and port people during lulls.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Dubious posted:

what should i be looking for weapon wise as a warrior? I used a gift of starting plat after i split it with my buddies to buy a full suit of bronze armor and a silver war axe, but not really sure what i should try save for.

thinking of a yak and a green jade broadsword? I remember lammies being a thing but the price on those is ridiculous.

You'll probably want two sets of weapons; one for DPS, and one for tanking. DPS set should be anything with good ratios that you can get; Lamentation, Crystalline Short Sword, Jade Mace, Fist of Zek, etc.. Tanking set should be something with aggro procs. Ykesha is a good starter for tanking weaps because it procs early (29 I think) and generates a ton of aggro.

Just get two of these until you can afford better: http://wiki.project1999.com/Ykeshan_War_Club

Ideally you'll want some combination of the following (until Velious):
http://wiki.project1999.com/Sarnak_Warhammer
http://wiki.project1999.com/Silken_Whip_of_Ensnaring
http://wiki.project1999.com/Trochilic%27s_Skean

Skean is from the rogue epic and loot rights can be bought fairly easily. Warhammer/whip are also rather common in EC.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Pillow Armadillo posted:

I've been on this server forever, and made the mistake of creating a warrior main as my first toon to 60. Now, I had a very decent raid tank, but no real way to farm outside of Seb/HS groups. If I were to start EC trading around the 2k range, what would you suggest are the popular items I could get a bankroll going with without spending 4 hours a day in EC?

It really depends; there isn't a list of items I could point you to. You just have to watch the prices and get a feel for items where the price fluctuates often, or where sellers are willing to part with their item for less than market value. Items like the FBSS have a relatively fixed value due to near-constant demand. Items like Dustscryer's Crystal Ball will fluctuate, because they are frequently farmed and have somewhat of a niche appeal.

A tactic I used to use was to get a feel for the "twink of the month" class. 6 months ago it was SK/Paladins. You could buy lowbie gear like Darkforge or Deepwater pieces off of people stripping their twinks, and then re-sell it to another guy gearing up his twink for 20% more.

One item I remember being rather volatile was Diamondine Earrings. They'd go for 1k one day and 600 the next. I haven't played in like 6 months though, and they've probably tanked in value due to Velious hitting soon.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Dubious posted:

if my memory is right, warriors pretty much always dual wielded for aggro post 37, right? I got a friend irl who is utterly convinced that 2h is the way to play a warrior as a raider and high end grouping, based on ~evidence~ he wont source.

I remember that it was viable leveling from 20 to 37 when yaks were available, but beyond that, i struggle to ever remember warriors tanking with a 2h until PoP with Blade of War.

1H all the way. There's a negative aggro modifier for 2H.. I've read 30% but it could be different.

Siets posted:

So I have to ask, since I decided to go full-on sperg and calculate optimal spell rotations on my necromancer...

Are there any good mods for counting/monitoring ticks? Would be nice to know when dots, fears, etc. are about to fall off. Or is that just player skill that I need to work on according to THE VISION? :ohdear:

There's GamParse (http://gambosoft.eqresource.com/downloads.php) but its pretty unreliable as it relies off of log entries to time spells. Honestly nobody cares about DPS that much; just refresh your spells when they wear off. If you're actually using the right spells, you're ahead of most players anyway. I've grouped with Necros who did nothing but /pet attack and Lifetap every once in a while, and nobody said anything about it.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

FranktheBank posted:

Got my enchanter to 12. Went to Mino caves to try charming. The enemy killed my pet with 50% hp left. The Mino Lord aggro'd from somewhere and killed me. I dinged 11. I dont think Charming is for me lol.

Would love to go to Unrest or Befallen or Kurns to level.

Charming isn't very good for soloing due to the risk involved. Pick up a duo partner (Druid, Shaman are both great) and let your pet DPS while your partner tanks. At 12, you can probably get 1-2 quick levels in Crushbone before you go to Unrest and do the yard trash. Kurns is also really good, but there aren't any easily-accessible vendors if you aren't Iksar.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Siets posted:

Soooo...

Anybody ever farmed in...

Kedge Keep? :getin:

(Looking for tips for a 39 necro that is tired of waiting around for spectres all day.)

Kedge is a massive pain in the rear end, but you could probably solo near the entrance. Only way to know is to try - some people have lots of trouble with Kedge, others find it easy.

If you like grouping or are willing to group, go hit up City of Mist. You can charm stuff there, and your undead nukes are crazy efficient.

Also check out Sesserrix's necro guide: http://wiki.project1999.com/Sesserdrix%27s_All_in_One_Necromancer_Strategy_Guide

I knew it was comprehensive but never really read it; holy poo poo is there a lot of info in there.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

http://www.project1999.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194163 if anyone is curious

Classy responses from Haynar and Moregan.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

onesixtwo posted:

yeah but who gives a poo poo if he's jerking off to his twitch stats? he's enabling your everquest itch

the only thing he's enabling is the incredibly retarded orgy of litigation that is endgame raiding

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

In the GM's defense, Kungen did straight up intentionally train a group on his stream.. twice. Not sure on the exact rules of the server but it's kind of inviting retribution when you do it live on a stream.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Siets posted:

Someone explain the Red /ooc thing. Did they finally go all-in and rule "/ooc is just for pras and only pras"?

Here's Eunomia's post on it: http://www.project1999.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1904712&postcount=2

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Daaz posted:

UGHHHHH. loving spent 200 plat on sapphires, turned in rune of the one eye, fiery arms, and the lambent saphire. poof, items gone, no lambent vambracers. lol thanks for playing p99 gently caress off~

I've done the same thing. There are two Runes of the One Eye and two different turn-in NPCs. It's pretty easy to gently caress up.

You can post a petition in the petition forum but supposedly item restorations are on a 3 month waiting list at the moment.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

While we're talking about EC... does anyone have a Tampermonkey/Greasemonkey script that can disable the ads on the ahungry site without triggering his stupid adblock-blocker?

The code he's using to detect adblock/redirects seems pretty simple, but I am a dumb person and don't know any JS:

From http://ahungry.com/js/eqauction.js:

code:
function abpCheck() {
    var html = $('.ad-container').html();
    if(!/iframe/.test(html)) {
	msg = "It seems your ad blocker is interfering with the site functionality. <br><br> Please disable your ad blocker to ensure you receive the full realtime logger experience.";
	$('body').html(msg);
	$('body').css({'font-size':'40px', 'background':'#fff', 'color':'#666', 'padding':'10%'});
	//alert(msg);
	//
    }
}

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Frontal Stun Immunity is only really useful if you're going to be tanking raid mobs. Which, as an SK, is basically never. You may end up Rampage tanking or possibly tanking trash/adds after you're fully geared, but that's going to be a long way off. In most 6 man groups, one Disease Cloud and a few melee hits are going to give you enough aggro to last through a stun.

Ogres are a giant pain in the rear end to play and I don't see why anyone would willingly roll one unless they were guaranteed a raid tanking spot. Iksar are just as good and don't have the problem of basically requiring Shrink to be playable in indoor areas.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Daaz posted:

I'v seen some guys do this weird side strafe thing, they probably know something i don't. :x

Not sure if this is what you're referring to but... strafe in the opposite direction that you're turning with the mouse. To turn left, you'd hold down Mouse2, W and D while using the mouse to turn left. It won't slow you down, and it makes it harder for mobs to track you somehow. No idea how it works exactly, but it works. You can also use the same trick to outrun mobs even if you don't have JBoots/SOW up.

moolchaba posted:

Ogre SK starts with 127 base stamina, Trolls have 114, and all other SK classes have between 70-80 stamina.

My 60 Ogre SK is able to get 6k hp with non planar gear (with shaman and cleric buffs, obviously). Frontal stun immunity isn't the only benefit with the bigs.

Their stats are definitely better.. personal preference I guess. I just hate playing large races.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Ramulack posted:

I have never had the opportunity to own a fungi on live. Hoping to one day here. Unfortunately I choose the worst class for farming solo (Rogue).

At say level 55 how much plat per hour could you grind solo realistically? I am guessing it is chump change compared to doing a mediocre job trading in EC?

There's plenty of stuff you can farm -- Shrunken Goblin Skull Earring, Bracer of the Hidden, Goblin Gazughi Ring. MQ pieces as well. Goblin ring is my favorite since it sells for 6-7k and usually only takes a couple hours to get one.

Rogue epic MQ is also a good option but you may need some friends to help.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

It helps but it's not required. Just run around gathering up all of the mobs in the area and then kill them near the spawn points. If you don't see pops on the courier spawn points after 30 seconds, you missed a placeholder.

You can also just sit on the spawn points and kill anything that comes near. You'll eventually kill the placeholders as they roam back to those spots, takes a while though.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Siets posted:

How far do the placeholders roam? Do you have to travel the entirety of LOIO's landmass to get everything rounded up, or are the placeholders mostly around the #9 ruins on the map? What would you say is the rough count for all the placeholders and how do you know when you think you've got them all rounded up?

vvv We are talking about Goblin Gazughi Ring which drops from a sarnak courier in LOIO. Per the P99 guide here: http://wiki.project1999.com/A_Sarnak_courier

The placeholders roam roughly in the area circled below:

http://i.imgur.com/ILqMfg7.jpg

The rest of the guide is accurate, except for the placeholder list. I've seen placeholders spawn that were not on the list, but I can't recall the exact names.

This camp is also one of the most brutal in the game in my opinion. Since the placeholders spawn every 30 seconds and then wander off into the wild blue yonder, you can't take a break and you basically can't take your eyes off of the screen. Have fun!

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

the last signal... posted:

Agreed, if you tether your smarthphone and are just doing an item transfer the odds of getting caught have gotta be incredibly slim.

This.. just use a VPN or tether. It's basically impossible for them to catch as long as you're only doing it occasionally and are only logged in for a short period of time. Worst case, you admit to it and get a 30 day break to do other poo poo.

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

Why don't they open up a 2nd blue server and offer transfers to it? I've seen people begging for this basically since I started playing on P99 and the staff never really comment on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nyclin
Jun 19, 2001

onesixtwo posted:

Yeah, in the cleric's guild. You'll probably want to make an inny worshiping cleric alt to do the actual buying to get it at lowest cost. Also I don't think the DE mask works in the cleric guild, I don't recall.

DE Illusion will work fine, but only if your religion is neutral or evil. Since you said mask I'm gonna assume that it's a Bard or Rogue, which are neutral classes so only religion would matter.

• Locked thread