Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Appachai posted:

Hibito did 70 reps on bench, pretty impressive

I was genuinely confused by the fact that astronauts measure Lifting Records by reps rather than weight because it makes me assume there's some static weight(looked like 100lbs?) that is the Astronaut Universal Standard Weightlift Weight™. I actually sat around wondering why this might be the case(does 100lbs carry some significance on the moon?) rather than accepting that it's just a goddamn anime and they probably don't do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

BexGu posted:

Its to find the persons constant strength/endurance instead of the explosive strength of a single rep. The NFL does the same thing, but with 225 pounds.

Well the other guy said it looked like 225 pounds, so I guess that answers that. Cool thing to learn!

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

So, is it safe to assume the bus has just been circling the Jaxa parking lot for hours?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

OmegaZultan posted:

Is there a source for the 13 episode count? By the way things are going right now it doesn't feel like the show is nearing an end at all and extrapolating by the amount of volumes and how far the anime is into the story it doesn't seem likely either.

The 13 episode count thing came from a bunch of people saying the people handling the show marked the end date as June 27th. June 27th was the end date for a poll/campaign/whatever they were running and people misunderstood it. All other (terrible, mostly unreliable hearsay)sources puts it at 48 episodes. Which is a lot, but also way more plausible considering we're at episode 11 and Mutta isn't even close to being in space yet.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Doctor w-rw-rw- posted:

Which sources would those be? 48 sounds about right to me.

Random blogs that turned up on google. I try not to stare too long into the abyss, if you know what I mean.

paragon1 posted:

I do have to wonder why the battery and clock was included in the puzzle setup. Why provide those things if they aren't necessary for figuring anything out?

It's a simple exercise to assess your teammates problem solving skills. Personally I would have just said 12am because it has zero impact whatsoever on anything, and 12am makes it easy to say "It is exactly Monday right now for all intents and purposes." How would this have made you feel if everyone else had done precise calculations to figure out the time that it should be at?

Also, I would be willing to bet that battery has six to seven days worth of battery life in it, just enough to get people comforted by having a clear passage of time, only to gently caress with them by taking it away.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

The Black Stones posted:

My first instinct would have been to see if there's any way to contact mission control and just go "Hey, what time is it where you are?" because you're setting your clock to their time anyway.

That is painfully obvious and makes me feel pretty dumb. It's pretty reasonable to assume they would be in contact with mission control, as there's no other explanation for the magical voice talking to them in that case.

Actually, since Mutta is going to go for his "I saw the clock" explanation, I wonder if "Why don't we just ask Mission Control?" is going to be Kenji's response to the puzzle

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

This show is so good.

That treadmill sounds really cool, too. Do astronauts-in-training actually use something similar to that?

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

The_White_Crane posted:

That guy on team B making all the comments about astronauts with familys is an rear end in a top hat.
And seriously loving paranoid, too, to such an extent that I'm astonished he made it this far...

Being that paranoid is a good thing. It means you think you're important enough for others to want to sabotage your chances, which is better than thinking you're not important enough, like Nanba was doing in the first several episodes. And if anyone is trying to sabotage your chances, you'll definitely stop them from succeeding, because you're stopping every single attempt against you even if they don't exist.

sure as hell won't make you any friends though. And I'm still convinced 2/5ths of every team is a plant.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Good_Haro posted:

Yeah I keep going back to that, but it seems too simple and the whole flashbacks/internal monologue argument still seems relevant, unless they've been messing with us and there's more to said backstories/etc than meets the eye.

Though I don't really know why everyone's first assumption wouldn't be "JAXA is messing with us" whenever something weird happens. If Mutta hadn't witnessed the tampering it ultimately wouldn't have even mattered who broke the clock, just that they have to come up with a solution for the broken clock.

I'm wondering if the alarm issue in team B might actually be one of the members thinking ahead about that kind of scenario as an alternate timekeeping mechanism (I'm guessing the alarm isn't a proper clock alarm and is just the sort of thing that can be set in intervals).

People can still have previous jobs before becoming a plant at Jaxa. Not only is it extremely likely you have had jobs prior to working in the space industry, it makes your plant more believable as they don't have to make things up on the spot. Internal monologues for plants seems like it's more to trick us, the viewers, into believing them.

And if that's the case, "Jaxa is messing with us" should be the first response, even if it's Furuya who carries out jaxa's orders.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

New Episode:

I'm sure we all know by this point that Mutta is going to space. He's the protagonist, after all. But it makes me sort of wonder what's going to happen to everyone else on team A as a whole. They all seem to get along really well as friends. With this episode, it's pretty clear Team B is going to go their separate ways after the exam but not so much with Team A

I wonder if we'll see what happens to the ones who don't make the cut as the series goes on.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Team C is obviously the control group and irrelevant other than as a basis for comparison.

Come on ADTRW, get it together. C for Control.

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

GlassEye-Boy posted:

I'm curious as to what mountains they were driving past going towards the Johnson Space Center in Houston.

In 2015 the core of the Earth begins to erupt, causing mountain chains to spring up all over the world, even nowhere near tectonic plates. This is the story of Mutta and Hibito, Japanese astronaut-hopefuls who seek to pioneer mans transition to living in space to avoid the inevitable mountainous ruin of Earth. This is...Space Bros

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Amstrad posted:

I was more annoyed that the lawnmower didn't sound as though it had its blade powered/engaged.

I thought this is because he(the guy or lady responsible for sound) had never seen or heard that type of lawnmower operated. My knowledge of Japan largely comes from Video Games and Maru, but I was under the impression that owning land was something reserved for the wealthy or people way out in the countryside, and what land people owned was relatively small. That lawnmower is a professional mower. They're like $5,000 at the low end. I didn't think he had ever seen one because I honestly doubt they exist outside of extreme circumstances in Japan, if what i'm lead to believe is true.

Vincent Valentine fucked around with this message at 09:17 on Sep 17, 2012

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Rexides posted:

seriously, what's with the mawerchat all of a sudden?

It was a pretty boring episode v:shobon:v

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

EDIT: WOOPS

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

PAJAMA

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Mutta doesn't make the cut and the rest of the series is about Mutta playing Starcraft 2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

Serious Frolicking posted:

I'm pretty sure that by 2025 the speed of light will be the same.

But how do you know???? Maybe we'll break the light barrier, maaaaan...and when we do, the universe will correct itself and just make lightspeed....you know...faster. :weed:

• Locked thread