Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?

Rexides posted:

Well, it was designed as an unmanned drone, not a passenger vehicle, it probably can't carry both of them.
Well, maybe it should man the gently caress up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Falken posted:

Between this, PlanetES and Kerbal space program, I'm on one hell of a space kick right now.

I know that feeling, man. Doesn't help that everything's so damned good. I only recently picked Space Brother back up and I've been rolling through episodes. There's just something about space and exploration that really gets me down inside.

Anyway, is it alright to ask about the Space Brothers live action movie? I'm interested mostly because Buzz Aldrin was supposedly in it as himself.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

It looks quite decent. The characters look very similar to how they are in the anime, too.

I'm going to have to try an Orion 2 launch rendezvous in Kerbal now. I like the idea of doing a double launch. Then, a munbase. Hope I don't crash my munar rover. :(

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
A little bit of an odd feeling, sometimes I feel like its procedural type of show and then at other times it feel like on of the Apollo movies. :ohdear:

Brian!!! :argh: Hibito is probably thinking "Damnit, I wanted aliens." :(

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Well, I can't figure out how Hibito is going to get out of this one. I will be sad if he dies. I wish they wouldn't drag things out so long, though. Took us forever to find out that Mutta made it as an astronaut. I wonder how many episodes it'll take before Hibito kicks the bucket/is saved? Will we have more flashback episodes during the last 8 minutes of his life for a complete episode leaving us with one minute left? I hope not.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

:ohdear: You are not that kind of anime, Space Bros, right? Right? Please don't let this turn out ugly.

ps: Does anyone know what's the deal with the "space photo" at the end?

Perfect Potato
Mar 4, 2009
Isn't the Brian bot an oxygen gatherer or some poo poo? Azuma probably compromised with the NASA head and got him to send the robot to the location Mutta indicated. Honestly at this point I wish Hibito would just die or get off the pot, this whole plot has been dragging something fierce.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker
5 Minutes until Namek explodes Hibito runs out of oxygen.

This is definitely the most frustrating stretch of episodes in the whole series so far. Mostly because the accident and subsequent complications all felt incredibly forced and should have been impossible several times over.

cooldude2.0
Oct 12, 2004
Grimey Drawer
Apart from how dumb it was to not pay attention, they'd have detailed info about the terrain. Even without a satellite, they could use inertia like someone already mentioned. They could also have a laser rangefinder mounted on the buggy that could determine their location just based on the terrain. A rangefinder should work great on the moon with no atmosphere in the way. To be fair it was written a few years ago, maybe before mounting lasers on robot cars was widespread.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
I really wish that 'mounting lasers on robot cars' was as cool as it sounds.

DrPastah
Mar 12, 2012

A HUMAN SHITSTAIN

I literally believe that vaccines cause autism, and that fluoride is a government conspiracy to placate the masses.

I am too stupid to know how to validate my own ideas and just assume them to be valid without any proof.
I was really expecting for Hibito to be rescued by aliens and then coming back 10 episodes later with amnesia.

DrPastah fucked around with this message at 01:58 on Jan 29, 2013

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

So apparently Space Brothers is moving timeslot, AND

:siren: IS GETTING MORE EPISODES :siren:

http://mainichi.jp/mantan/news/20130130dyo00m200028000c.html

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

Shakugan posted:

My insurance against lackluster seasons just keeps on trucking.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007
put the 'the' in therapist

:dukedog:

Shakugan posted:

I feel so moon right now.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Shakugan posted:

This is great news. I started getting some real concerns about this show managing to end in a satisfying way with the number of episodes it had left.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde

Shakugan posted:

Fantastic :D This show is easily my favorite thing airing currently.

In other news, I watched the live action film tonight and it was extremely good. Obviously the film has to y'know... end, which means that it has a slightly rushed ending but it was certainly satisfying and my only complaint is that it could have been about an hour longer if I were making it. The production values for it are surprisingly high and they fit in alot of the main material from the show.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
drat this episode was really, really good.

Worth the small slog we had.

mcw
Jul 28, 2005
NO OXYGEN
DOG YOU

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

The Black Stones posted:

drat this episode was really, really good.

Worth the small slog we had.

I may be in the minority, but I liked the last few episodes. They felt really tense and made it seem like this was Hibito's farewell episode. Unlike the pointless drag of previous arcs, whenever they were going to reveal test results.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

Brian seemed like such a cool dude. It's really nice how they fleshed out the support network that Hibito got through him and Azuma, once Mutta gave up on their dream.

I also really like the hints that this show drops about Mutta being an exceptional astronaut candidate (e.g. multitasking ability similar to Brian and crazy attention to detail). All too often shows use the "genius" trope and just tell you "this guy is a genius, and therefore good at stuff, just because we tell you he's a genius". Here they've actually worked to established specific characteristics that make Mutta, Kenji etc excellent candidates for becoming astronauts. What's even better is that these characteristics are different for different people. There is no single "astronaut ability" scalar. Mutta has the skills mentioned above, Kenji is a natural leader, Hibito has happy/calm demeanor to persevere in tough circumstances. They are all excellent in their own way, and I think that's really neat.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

That was certainly an episode. :unsmith:

I just wish I hadn't picked this show up until maybe a month or two down the road so I don't have to bite my nails so loving much. :(

Dan7el
Dec 7, 2008

Well, I pretty-much called it regarding the Brian oxygen system saving Hibito. It was pretty obvious. I had to start this episode near the end, though. I couldn't wait to see what would happen. I was also thinking we'd get to see the other two guys save the astronaut who was with Hibito. We didn't. Basically, this episode of 20-minutes stretched out the full 8-minutes we had of Hibito's oxygen supply.

Only this anime can turn 8-minutes into 20-minutes.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

Mr. Fowl posted:

I may be in the minority, but I liked the last few episodes. They felt really tense and made it seem like this was Hibito's farewell episode. Unlike the pointless drag of previous arcs, whenever they were going to reveal test results.

Oh, I didn't dislike the episodes. It's just that they definitely slowed down the pacing to a crawl for these last couple, and I felt this episode actually made that worthwhile.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I was one of the people who thought that the buggy accident was an entirely plausible situation, and Hibito ignoring protocol to help his fellow astronaut was completely on par with his character, but the last two episodes baffled me. It was very out of character for Hibito to just give up and wander around to find a good place to die, the tension build-up with the oxygen timer felt completely artificial, and all that just so it would be resolved in a way that became obvious two episodes ago when they decided to sent Brian-3 to find him. And not to mention that what would happen was hamfistedly hinted at throughout the entire episode.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
The weird thing about the last few episodes is that, up until now, the most outlandish thing that had happened was these two dudes both becoming astronauts. Now on top of that they add this weirdly dramatic scenario... For a show that's been somewhat defined by it's low key plausible nature, it was felt like almost too much. Of course, that's in addition to how much things had slowed down in terms of pacing since the end of the astronaut selection process...

It's still real good though. And the resolution in the latest episode was genuinely pretty tense.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

I just want to see the NASA and JAXA cast animated like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Sar5WT76kE

mcw
Jul 28, 2005
I think the idea with this story arc is to see Hibito reduced from his previous position in the story. Thus far, this has been a show about Mutta in which Hibito is a member of the cast, portrayed as a rival. But with Mutta becoming an astronaut, it's necessary to re-orient the story so that the audience can accept this becoming a story about both of them.

If you agree with that assessment, then I'm curious as to whether or not you found this arc effective in that regard.

Also, for those who know more about current space tech than I do: In the previous episode, NASA sees Hibito lying on the ground using the camera on BRIAN-3. Is this actually plausible? I had thought that video streams from the Moon to the Earth were only possible during certain periods in the Moon's orbit due to satellite technology.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

MariusMcG posted:

I think the idea with this story arc is to see Hibito reduced from his previous position in the story. Thus far, this has been a show about Mutta in which Hibito is a member of the cast, portrayed as a rival. But with Mutta becoming an astronaut, it's necessary to re-orient the story so that the audience can accept this becoming a story about both of them.

If you agree with that assessment, then I'm curious as to whether or not you found this arc effective in that regard.

Also, for those who know more about current space tech than I do: In the previous episode, NASA sees Hibito lying on the ground using the camera on BRIAN-3. Is this actually plausible? I had thought that video streams from the Moon to the Earth were only possible during certain periods in the Moon's orbit due to satellite technology.

Maybe we have several satellites orbiting the moon and acting as a relay? Not sure how much lag that would have though.

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

Maybe we have several satellites orbiting the moon and acting as a relay? Not sure how much lag that would have though.
I think it takes around 8 seconds for light to travel from Moon to Earth, so around that much.

Valsu
Jan 2, 2006

Glad to see Hibito made it. :allears: I'm surprised he didn't run out of oxygen earlier from running uphill. I would think that that would increase the amount of oxygen you use. Anime science, I guess.

Now maybe we can get back to Mutta & Co. continuing their path to space. I want to see more of Mutta and Apo being Mutta and Apo.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Sashimi posted:

I think it takes around 8 seconds for light to travel from Moon to Earth, so around that much.

The point here is that I want a bunch of satellites to orbit the moon. That'd be cool.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

KNITS MY FEEDS posted:

The point here is that I want a bunch of satellites to orbit the moon. That'd be cool.
There already is.

DrPastah
Mar 12, 2012

A HUMAN SHITSTAIN

I literally believe that vaccines cause autism, and that fluoride is a government conspiracy to placate the masses.

I am too stupid to know how to validate my own ideas and just assume them to be valid without any proof.
Oh man, why can't I hold hold all my feels in from episode 43?

I could feel my eyes just tearing up.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

MariusMcG posted:

We also have to remember that this show is set in 2025, which is something they do not remind us of very often (which I'm very happy about), so it's certainly plausible that space tech could have advanced to the point of quicker signal relays between earth and the moon.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007

Kingnothing posted:

We also have to remember that this show is set in 2025, which is something they do not remind us of very often (which I'm very happy about), so it's certainly plausible that space tech could have advanced to the point of quicker signal relays between earth and the moon.

I'm pretty sure that by 2025 the speed of light will be the same.

Acer Pilot
Feb 17, 2007

Serious Frolicking posted:

Warp particles :techno:

Vincent Valentine
Feb 28, 2006

Murdertime

But how do you know???? Maybe we'll break the light barrier, maaaaan...and when we do, the universe will correct itself and just make lightspeed....you know...faster. :weed:

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

In the end, it's only 7 seconds, not 7 minutes. If this mission were on Mars, then they'd be closer to the minutes side of the scale.

Also, I love the way they developed Brian in that he was good friends with most of the NASA/JAXA cast, but we're sat on the sidelines with Mutta, who never knew the man. I really wish I did though, he seemed like an exceptional chap.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I was talking about the fact that we could only communicate when the satellites were facing in one position.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

Vincent Valentine posted:

But how do you know???? Maybe we'll break the light barrier, maaaaan...and when we do, the universe will correct itself and just make lightspeed....you know...faster. :weed:

Careful now, actual creationist territory there ;) (its how they explain how there can be stars in the sky whose light would've taken millions of years to reach us they're wrong.).

I'm going to go with, even if being on the light side of the moon there would be communication difficulties depending on orbit today, I think its obvious that by 2025 in our alternate timeline where NASA hasn't had its funding nickled and dimed that they would have the relays in place. Not that you could have a boat in the Indian ocean or something for relaying when the moon is on that side of the world.

While the build up has been more than a little contrived I felt our resolution was well done, I felt visibly relieved.

• Locked thread