Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Smooglii posted:

I love Cucumber Quest to pieces. Pieces which I want to eat, because they are sweet and sugary. Just about every page has something adorable in it, and the use of colour is wonderful.

I usually care about the writing most in any story, but Cucumber Quest's art has me even more interested.
Some of the best color usage in current comics, probably the best in webcomics right now (its only real rival probably being Tiny Kitten Teeth?) Complex lighting is pulled off while still keeping a cartoony look, a pastel basis is used without letting the comic ever feel washed out, and the colors are so well balanced and distributed that the comic never feels like it needs linework.

I will never be as good at art as gigi digi.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

ugh, that theme song has been seared so deeply into my brain. is this the first explicit pop culture reference we've seen?

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

pandaK posted:

Almond's plan is to just slip through the adequately large openings in the cage.
That's so obvious it just might work!

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

there's something kind of sad about this last update. it's such an obvious joke for cuco to try and just wish the nightmare knight out of existence, but he just wants to be back home so bad it doesn't even cross his mind :(

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Of course it has bunny ears. :allears:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Fortis posted:

Wait, was it confirmed that she's an alien? I was about to link to Page 117, point out her line in Panel 4, note the similarity between the ear shapes, and then be all Smug Mr. Clever.
I don't think Cordelia's an alien, but I have a strong feeling there will be a space/technology themed world+boss we're about to get acquainted with.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

looks like someone has a hatecrush :3:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

This spell is totally gonna be Chekov's extremely specific and pretty much completely worthless gun.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

goddd I hope that cucumber tears through like 6 of these looking for a half decent one, and they all become ticking timebombs of callback brilliance throughout the rest of the story.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

I think my favorite thing about this comic is when cuco gets to be competent at something :3:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Almond's watermelon swimsuit from Gigi's early concept sketches makes a debut, and it is adorable

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

There is no way Cabbage isn't going to be plot relevant in a huge way. Calling it now, the way to defeat the Nightmare Knight is by getting PAID.

Lance Streetman posted:

This page really highlights how much her art has improved since the prologue chapter. Just compare the backgrounds and colors for Cabbage's cell there to her most recent page.
Digi is bafflingly good at making chiaroscuro look cute.

snucks fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Jan 8, 2013

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Psalmanazar posted:

There are going to be a hell of a lot of characters if it keeps up like this.
PRINCESS PARTY :3

I hope they all have different familiars.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

I can't wait until Cuco gets personally acquainted with the Nightmare Knight and develops a grudging solidarity with the only other level-headed person in his world.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Cuco is about to discover that the only way to stop this eternal battle of good and evil is to be the worst legendary hero ever.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Noisemaster would most definitely be voiced by Aziz Ansari

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

poo poo's really getting thrown down for the first time in this comic.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

IMJack posted:

Is this one of those things were the periodic dance between the Hero/Dream Oracle and Nightmare Knight is necessary to keep the world from falling apart?

Like if the Hero's Journey doesn't get done, the Divine Audience is gonna get bored and the universe will be cancelled.
Yeah, either that or NK serves as a supervillian for the purpose of keeping the kingdoms unified against a common threat. Either way, Cuco seems increasingly motivated to cut through red tape and break the game.

snucks fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Mar 12, 2014

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Dr. Buttass posted:

I was imagining this myself.
God damnit that game was so full of charm. I almost never make it through most RPGs, yet I've played through the entirety of Paper Mario 2 and SMRPG multiple times.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

I have a very strong feeling this was gigi's art style when she was ~13 :3:

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

feelin "draw your characters in clothes you wish you owned" p hard

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Accordion Man posted:

I like the theory that this all just a show for the Gods or the equivalent of and The Oracle and NK have to stick to the script lest the Gods come down and the world suffers their wrath. That's why NK wouldn't let Noisemaster kill anyone and why The Oracle starts freaking out when Cucumber starts questioning things, neither are evil they are just forced into their roles in order to protect the world.
Maybe it's a Venture Bros deal where the Big Bad is actually a decent dude who keeps the lesser evils in check. Whatever the case, it definitely feels like Gigi had the twist figured out coming into this.

Bongo Bill posted:

The Nightmare Knight was probably the first Legendary Hero.
Yeah, I've gotten that feeling too. NK's interactions with Cuco seem like that of a disappointed father; NK is dragging Cuco through a hero's journey as a failed attempt at grooming a successor or ally.

snucks fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Apr 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

RIP bunnyurkel had a good run

glitchmaster is gonna take this poo poo off the tracks