Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I’ve been waiting for about a week and I’m still seeing the “thanks for taking the assessment” page. I felt good about the assessment so I wonder if there’s a shortage of tasks in my region - any idea if it’s region based like TELUS is? TELUS hasn’t had anything much for me to do either, I was paid for a single task last year and then nothing else has come up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I’m still on the “thanks for completing the assessment” page too. I deleted my linked in after an ex was stalking me on there and I don’t intend going back, sucks if that means I’m less employable.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Boris Galerkin posted:

Also I believe Taskup.ai is also owned/run by the same people who run DA.

Can confirm it’s the same account and the same “Thanks for taking the starter assessment” page. So once you sign in you’re in the same system even if the web address is different.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I also tried Remotasks, I started trying some of the onboarding/training but it took a while to get the hang of knowing exactly which pixels counted as being inside the box for distant small cars so I redid the training until I got it right. I started a second training task and found myself able to get it right first time every time - however the second task had 16 parts which I didn’t realise until I’d pressed start already. It got really late so I left the tab open intending to finish this morning, and so far that seems to be ok. Edit: completed that onboarding successfully and feel quite pleased at how much better I was doing at the end compared to at the start.

I’ve already been fired from the other kind of task because I didn’t agree with the answer key for which AI generated picture was better or good or bad. I’m not sure how that kind of task is even supposed to work, they classified black blobs and blue smears as “good” when neither looked like what they were supposed to. I think that type of task was too subjective for me and the hints for what kind of answers they expected didn’t align with what the answer key showed once the test actually started.

And to be honest I think I’d rather draw boxes around cars which is training AI to do something useful and tedious rather than doing anything associated with AI “art”.

Edit:
I have been fired from a second project because a reviewer rated most of my answers as "Incorrect", while rating "Good" as the correct answer, for generated/edited images that had very obvious problems and were okay at best. I think there are reviewers abusing the system to make sure newcomers are immediately removed from projects so that there is less competition from tasks. Remotask's policy is that once "the system" removes you, you can't rejoin a project so it seems to be really easily abused. I'm filing a dispute but it seems barely worth it for the few cents I've been paid.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 11:51 on Mar 10, 2024

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

TELUS paid me for some voice recordings last year (September) and I've just had another offer for that kind of work. It's infrequent but it's nicer work and better paid than the $0.14 I got from DA, so I'll take it.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

I have to say this latest TELUS job isn’t going well. It was advertised to take place from April to May but then after my application was accepted I got an email at 1am telling me I had 24 hours to do the task. The task comes in two parts, ~30 recordings followed by 150 recordings and 180+ recordings need to be completed before payment will be made. I got set up and did the first part of the task but the system only offered me 28 items before the session was completed which obviously implies that it’s not possible for me to meet the payment requirement. I emailed the project coordinator to ask about this but haven’t heard back. It’s a shame because I enjoy the work and the software set up they use works really well, I just don’t intend to do any of it for free.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

Stoca Zola posted:

...I emailed the project coordinator to ask about this...

I got a reply from the coordinator and she asked me to do the 150 recordings and then check back to see if "the system updated" for the remaining tasks in the first part. I've just completed those extra recordings since I am choosing to believe this project is being done in good faith, but of course "the system" didn't invent more tasks for me to do to get my quota high enough to be paid. It's clearly stating "there is no more work in this session" so I do not believe there will ever be more work in the session for me to complete. If this project decides not to pay me I think I am done with online task work since it seems to be leaning towards being more and more exploitative.

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

DA has me stuck on “thanks for taking the starter assessment”. Possibly a lot of the problems I’m having could be regional, there just doesn’t seem to be that much work available on any of the sites I’ve tried, and they’ve all got me in the Australia region. Could be some quirk of Australian employment law too, a lot of these “you are an independent contractor” situations don’t meet the AU guidelines and should be “you are a fixed term employee” instead, which is probably more hassle than it’s worth for these companies.

Edit to update on previous:
I just got an email from the QA guy from Telus telling me I have only done 28 and need to do 33 recordings before the payment will be processed. I sent him a photo of THERE IS NO MORE WORK IN YOUR SESSION and asked if he could help with getting more work into my session, since I’d love to complete the work. This is possibly not a scam but there’s definitely something wrong if they have rigid requirements for payment but not rigid control over how much work the system dishes out.

Stoca Zola fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Apr 18, 2024

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

The TELUS situation is getting a bit ridiculous, I’ve now had two different Telus people telling me “just log in and record a few more” despite me sending screenshots and explaining there’s literally nothing in the system for me to record, the record button is gone, the tasks are empty. The people running the project don’t seem to understand that the system did not give me enough tasks or even that it could happen. The second guy I’m talking to just wants me to hurry up and get it done so he can get payment sorted out. I can’t tell if I am being gaslit or if they are just oblivious to what the system looks like for an end user.

Although, according to the help file in the system, the project manager sets the number of recordings so being told in the first instance to continue recording part two and to check back later for more tasks, is starting to sound more like intentional scammy behaviour than not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stoca Zola
Jun 28, 2008

A final note from my ordeal with TELUS - after the first part of the project only served me up 28 tasks, and recording 150 more on the assurance that more tasks would show up for me, I had a week of back and forth emails with someone from the project team who kept asking me to log back in and record more in order to get paid. None of the extra tasks ever showed up when I logged in, but today I have an email saying the recordings I made passed QA and I am going to get paid after all, although not until the end of the project once all the data has been processed (this is the same as last time so not unexpected). Seems like TELUS is still offering tasks in good faith, even if there is some awkwardness with interacting with their automated system, and the people managing the projects are fairly responsive.

Remotasks on the other hand took 40+ days to respond to a query and the answer I got felt like a non-answer.