Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

(an awesome, wildly helpful array of glorious :words:)

Hey, so I've been tracking this thread for a while, and pounced on the transcription idea, pedal already ordered. Thanks for all the info on that; I've been derping around waiting for 'dedicated' transcription jobs (I've been on this poo poo for five years, just not self-employed) and there aren't nearly as many as I'd hoped. Waiting for a pedal before I put in anything official, though; I'm so used to having it for 'live' transcription that I'd feel naked without one.

There is one thing I'm curious about. One of the things I used to do was taking dictation and 'revoicing' what I heard, using Dragon. It netted upwards to 200wpm (with only a 0.25 error rate) when it was properly trained to my voice. So the thing I'm wondering about that is: do you think using the revoicing method is one that's translatable to these particular types of transcription? It seems like the answer should be 'yes,' but there might be some nuance that I'm completely missing.

I've had to revoice multiple speakers before, and can stay caught up without difficulty most of the time, but it seems like that could get a little hairy in this situation. I'm used to straight typing as well, of course, but it halves my output, so if it's possible or recommended to still use Dragon for this, I'd love to know.

Also: how often are the business-type jobs 'forgiving' when it comes to poorly recorded audio? ie: How in-your-face do they get about it? I'd imagine this is a client to client thing, where some are more forgiving than others, but if this is standard, how crummy are they about 'well you should be magical and understand even the most fuzzy audio, that's what we're paying you for'? Sorry if this question's been asked before, but I looked through and I only saw anecdotes about how lovely the business contracts were.

Additional thanks to the folks passing out links to the goonrotica threads. I'd noticed them before, just not the one talking sale strategies/marketability of self-publishing/etc.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 21:53 on Jun 12, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Kazmeyer, I got a qq.

Passed the two tests for the transcription sites (yay), but noticed that Express Scribe absolutely drags with .rm files, re: video is choppy, clip doesn't work properly, etc-- and failed completely at timecode offsetting. This could just be my machine, granted, but the file was so small and played so well on other platforms that I'm thinking it has more to do with the software itself. If it's my machine, and other people didn't have this problem, a) possible fixes would be great, b) could anyone suggest tower upgrades that might deal with this (tower was 100% new as of... seven years ago so, uh... welp).

Anyway, the question is (since I don't know if this has been brought up before): does InqScribe do a better job? I've got several video/audio converters on-hand, but ES seems to want to make life miserable when it comes to that sort of thing, especially for that initial DT test. If so, that might be something to add to the OP when it comes to ES dragging its rear end with trying to correctly account for TCs, since even putting in the proper offset, it ended up a second or two behind.

I also noticed that ES absolutely destroyed the audio, whereas RealPlayer allowed me to catch things that ES's (non-customizable) v/a player didn't (even with every known filter applied to it). It made the process a lot longer, so I'm definitely hoping that InqScribe doesn't do this.

...it doesn't, does it.

...because that was seriously the dumbest poo poo ever. and dropping $100 for the same problem seems kind of lame.

...though it may have more to do with my tower being the computer equivalent of a syphilitic geriatric that shits the bed every couple seconds (even though it can handle really, really demanding Premiere and Photoshop editing, so, I'll admit, I'm a little confused by this being an issue when all my codecs are updated).

So, uh, if this is systems specs related: what system specs are recommended?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
By the way, this might just be my paranoia getting the better of me, but-- how long do the sites take to get back to you? DT was fast as hell with the test, but it's been several days for the W-9's-- that just a processing thing? (cool if it is, i figure it is, but after unemployment ran out and a part-time decent-pay position fell through, the lagtime has my heartrate up).

edit: and thanks for the advice last time. IS is a ton better than ES.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

jabro posted:

Not whole sentences but two were two or three words. Other than that and what I talked to you over PMs about I feel I did decent. :) Tomorrow my girlfriend and I find out if we are having twins. I'm not sure what I'm more anxious to hear. Pass the test or a possible 3 kids under 3 years old in the house.

Yeah, as a note, if a file is bad, under the new pay system, they actually up the pay if the transcriptionists are having trouble with the audio. I recently did a job for DT that was absolutely heinous audio-wise. They acknowledged it, renegotiated with the client (i'm assuming) and a $.60/min job became a $.70/min one.

Basically, it's better just to tell them that the audio was brutal (on the actual jobs, not the test). They are way more likely to work with you on that than not, and if there are several people who say as much, it might be the matter of no pay raise vs. pay raise.

Always worth it to be communicative with them. They're great people.

EDIT: because i quoted the wrong post like a champ. Also congrats on the soon-to-be new addition(s) dude.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Feb 12, 2013

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

Standards vary. DT, IIRC, is [INAUDIBLE] for everything. I've got a client that uses (inaudible). I've got another client which uses [indistinct]. The last one actually makes a distinction, it's either (inaudible): can't be heard or (unintelligible): audible but can't be understood.

Drives me batshit when I have work for three different clients, like I did today.

[INAUDIBLE] makes sense for a group like DT. It sound less like a personal opinion/personal 'slight' than the other variations, so it's understandable that it's used. 'Less judgmental.'

By comparison, I can understand why [INDISTINCT] is used less. I'd say what I used to use for captioning elsewhere, but contractual obligations and all that. [UNINTELLIGIBLE] could make it sound like you think someone's stupid. It's a smarter move on the part of the company to use [INAUDIBLE] because that's more likely to be 'the medium is to blame' rather than 'hey rear end in a top hat quit talking like you have the microphone up to your neck and put it up to your loving piehole already.'

...even if that's what some of us would like to say.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
EDIT: :downs: stuff made irrelevant by this guy VVV , carry on.

Duration dictionaries/word replacers really are super-helpful, though. Only possible downside is occasionally you start typing the abbreviations more often than the full words out of pure habit.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Mar 2, 2013

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Internet Friend posted:

When you mention macros are you including text expander type ones? Because I find them much better than having to find-replace after the fact. I posted how I use AutoHotKey earlier in the thread, doing pretty much the same thing with keeping the text file open while I work. When I was reading about the job before signing up they were often recommended and I now I keep mine running even when I'm not working just for the convenience.

See, there. I knew someone probably mentioned it before.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

jabro posted:

It was me who turned it down. That was one of the files I turned down from being overextended. I knew that it was too good to be true. The files I reviewed were perfectly spoken with no background noise so I wondered why the pay was higher than usual. I figured it was because I would be googling medical terms for proper spelling 90% of the time. Not to mention I would be forced to look at boobies the whole time transcribing.

It seems weird to me that medical transcription is being sent through DT. Honestly, since I'm not paid for medical transcription, I just write things out that I can't find in a two second google search either phonetically, or in brackets. Since it's not a patient report or anything vital, I can't accidentally kill someone by doing that, and there's never been complaints from the QT guys. Makes the pay worthwhile, even if you end up staring at and/or listening to some unhappy poo poo for a while.

As an aside: I got a really, really weird job for transcription yesterday morning. It legit involved listening to a television program the company isn't contracted to work with through a second-hand audio recording. I'm really not sure what the hell to do with it other than point out where the program began, and I'm still waiting to hear back on whether or not that was "expected" to be transcribed, as well.

If it's not, cool, that's a lot of pay to just sit there doing nothing, but if it is, I'm not really sure that's legal, or if I should even consider doing it.

Kaz (or, hell, anyone), have you ever run into that before?

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Apr 6, 2013

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

... recorded it by playing a DVD and holding a tape recorder up to the speaker.

:lol: Sad as it is to say, that'd be a step up from this one.

Anyway, yeah, I contacted the company about it, feeling a lot less ??? about the legality, a lot more pissed about the quality. Thanks for the info (as always).

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Just a heads-up that I've been seeing a lot of 'non-payment' stuff on ANP pop up through a quick Google search. One of them is here: http://www.topix.com/forum/city/suffern-ny/T7D9BLR4F2HSJMV4H

So, grain of salt and all that. If you're not having problems with them (it sounds like some people are just fine with them), then cool, but I don't know what kinds of hoops you'd have to jump through to contact a Labor Relations Board both stateside, and in Canada.

Let us know if it works out, though. If it does, I might sign on, myself.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

And Crunch Bucket: that's the kind of job where I'd tell the client to go pound sand. I hope they're paying well for that insanity.

If it's the one I'm thinking of, then, no, they're not.

It's one of those 'how many [brackets?] can we fit into a single sentence' jobs that turns into a case of 'just do the best you can and liberally apply [OVERLAP] where applicable (which is almost always).'

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Test things for DT: timecode adjustments are a bitch in Express Scribe. To be honest, I did all of mine by hand when I did the test. Also, realmedia is a pain in the rear end to use in pretty much any transcription program, in my experience. Inqscribe, as I recall, rejects it outright, and that's the one that actually does decent timecoding/offset.

As for accuracy, you only need the first three frames [00:00:00].

Also--

kazmeyer posted:

Hate, hate, hate those jobs. The good news is, once you get experience and more clients, you can tell them to get stuffed when they send you junk like that. Being able to cherrypick transcription work really makes the job worthwhile. :)

Yeah, I did the 'not really go-getter' move of taking on pretty much all the hard to understand files without complaint :downs:, and now I'm getting them all the time. I mean, granted, it's a good thing in that I haven't seen anything below a .70/min gig for months now, but see above on 'all the time.'

Still poking them about As Broadcast work, too. We'll see how that goes. I'll just hope I didn't shove myself into the 'bad audio bitch' category on accident. v:v:v

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

And Crunch Bucket: Some of the bastards even speed up their tapes by 10% using software in order to try to pay less, or use voice-activated recorders so there's no pauses at all. That's why I got out of business transcription. :)

I wish I could say what my experience with 'cutting corners' was, but that was even more NDA-based than even DT is.

Christ, though, I never heard about the 10% thing, either. That's just obnoxious.

As for speaking a mile a minute-- honestly, it's what's making me want to get Dragon back on my machine, and get a better microphone, which I'd recommend for other people here (if it's affordable, anyway). Most people can reliably keep pace with anywhere from 150 to 180wpm when they're revoicing, it's not difficult to get used to adding punctuation with the keyboard, etc, it'd just annoy the hell out of your roommates, if you have them.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Slightly Used Cake posted:

I've been wondering about that, have you done it?

Yeah, for several years, actually. It seems a little unintuitive, at first, but you can train Dragon to be incredibly responsive to your own voice, as well as tweak its on-board dictionary so that troublesome words come out correctly, an example of this being 'school' constantly coming out like 'skull' until you make the tweak that differentiates the two.

I haven't worked with it directly in almost two years, though, so I'd have to get used to it again, but from what I hear, build 11 is phenomenal (I worked with ... 9, I think?). It improves speed pretty drastically when you get the hang of it, especially if you've got your hands on the keyboard to type in punctuation, or weird nouns that aren't likely to be in the dictionary (like first names, etc).

I'm not sure that I'd recommend it for something like As-Broadcast, but I suppose I'd have to start doing those to get a better idea of it. :]

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Actually to be honest, I like the lower paying stuff I've been getting more lately, it tends to be more variety...

There's been a couple low-paying ones floating around that should have been much higher, so don't bank on that always being the case. I got a $.65/min one recently that made me hate every minute of it because of the pay rate/difficulty disparity. If there's not enough people on the job to complain about the lack of quality, it appears as though they won't be as quick to offer a raise.

quote:

also the more expensive one was a bunch of drunk hill billies in the woods, all of whom had to be identified, on a show I don't watch, and they all had beards, huge beards! With very similar patterning! And then a very picky format on top of that.

That might be getting just a tad bit specific but it might only be because i was on that one too :ssh:.

In general, I've found it a lot easier to be really open about what files were egregiously difficult for their pay rate, and which ones I've been more willing to do in spite of the difficulty factor. It seems like they've got enough people on board for the most part that they can kick it to someone else more easily, but I only ever let that happen if I happen to catch the job request early in the day, and the deadline isn't :byodood: DO IT BY MORNING HOLY poo poo :byodood:, since that's invariably going to make them scramble.

So, basically, just be realistic about it. If you're new-ish to DT, and you download a file that you are seriously ugh about, and have gotten enough jobs done for them that you're starting to establish a good reputation, don't turn it down outright, just ask if they can line someone else up, and say that you're capable of doing it if it doesn't look like there are any takers. It's true that they'll try to get you to do it anyway, but sometimes someone like me will shoot them an email saying 'hey I didn't sign up for the schedule, but I'm available tonight' and they'll have a taker they can pass it off to without difficulty.

I'm not sure if that's been anyone else's experience, but it's certainly been mine.

That having been said: I am very close to turning down every job that makes it sound like someone is literally sitting on their recorder and wiggling around at random intervals.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

Anyone else having a poo poo week?

Yes.

EDIT: it was taken care of, hurray

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 8, 2013

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

You could always resend the email with the headers to prove when it went out, couldn't you?

Yeah, the time this happened to me, I ended up screenshotting my inbox to show that I didn't have it. It's not as much 'proof' as could be given, since obviously it's fallible, but apparently that kind of thing happens from time to time. I never got follow-up emails, either, which, also, apparently, happens from time to time.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Spartan421 posted:

I've been working there a year now and I've always used four blank lines so I don't know wtf is their problem.

The QC department is weirdly fussy about things they absolutely shouldn't be sometimes, and most of it has to do with style tweaks that I hadn't been informed about for, well, yeah. A year.

There's also the whole 'waiting three days to tell me corrections need to be made right then and there on a day that I have said, time and time again, that I honestly do not have time on' thing is starting to be a huge annoyance, as well. I get needing corrections done, but after two+ days of waiting for a response, I typically assume(d) that the file's been cleared, everything's cool, etc. It gets to a point where an easy fix turns into a giant pain.

These days, I've just made it a point to schedule my 'days off' for an hour of work time for DT, just in case, because it's easier on me in general.

So, yeah, basically, I'm not fond of their QC department. And the nitpicky rules-change-out-of-nowhere thing is part of it.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Crunch Bucket posted:

The good things about it are that the audio is crisp, it's clean verbatim, and most of the speakers speak clearly and slowly. There's also the reduced number of TC's so that's a high point. What chaps my rear end is the repeated format changes. I was getting pretty miffed at the editors until I realized they probably are just as frustrated about this whole thing as the transcribers. Even then, though, I shouldn't have to fix things that we weren't made aware of beforehand. If they want to say "From here on out, do it this way!" That's all fine and dandy, but sending me a list of oh, five or six of my last hour long files and saying "Oh yeah new rules go back and change this and that."? Not okay man.

Holy poo poo.

I think I rejected one of those jobs because of medical stuff laying me up. I'm glad I did.

As a note: I got word back from the HR lady at DT, she said that passing work off to people is absolutely okay. It'll be on your shoulders if the other transcriber has to bail out, but I think we've got a good network of people on here that will enable us to trade poo poo assignments every once in a while when you're just like 'no I don't want to do this' but want to stay in good standing with the company.

I'm down if you guys are down. What say we make a small mailing list?

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Jun 28, 2013

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Kilo India posted:

Goons should create their own Something Awful Content Website and make it not dumb.

Seconding this.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I wanted to share this with the other transcribers on here so they could stare at it as incredulously as I do: http://racine.craigslist.org/ofc/3977482994.html

Look at the pay. Seriously.

EDIT: For anyone who doesn't care to click the link - $15/per audio hour.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Aug 22, 2013

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

AuntBuck posted:

Look at that list of demands, and they want to pay people less than $4.00 an hour. I think I've seen them post elsewhere, that cheese quote looks familiar. "We are looking for winners, not whiners". What a pain in the rear end that person must be to work with.

I'll admit, I sent a "whiner" email reply quoting industry standards.

Just seeing that set my teeth on edge. I got paid more in the 'cash cow (but not for the workers)' market grind of telerelay services, which is saying something.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

That's one of the downsides of freelancing -- there's always people out there offering slave wages, and there are always people hard up enough (or who just don't know any better) that will take those jobs. Hopefully, most of them realize pretty quick they're being exploited and look for something with a reasonable pay scale.

I feel like there should be something in the OP about 'expect to find companies that are not willing to pay you minimum wage for the hours spent,' because independent contractors aren't covered under that law. As much as it seems like a 'well, obviously,' it's worth giving a fair warning. I skimmed through, so maybe it's there, but it's not really in bold lettering for anyone who's desperate to find work and may get poo poo on as a result.

Much less for work that they may actually end up competing for.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Have any of you heard of Net Transcripts? I'm in talks with them for a contractor position, and, apparently, they require $55 or something up front to run their background checks on you, since part of their schtick is law enforcement transcription.

They also haven't told me what their rates are. I've looked over the documentation and can't find anything.

I've checked reviews online about it, and everyone so far has said that they are legit, that they do pay on time, I haven't seen any major complaints about pay, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any experience with them. The $55 to run your own background check makes me nervous.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

AuntBuck posted:

I haven't heard anything bad about Net Transcripts, but if it involves transcribing wire taps I'd run the other way screaming. If you want to go ahead with it I don't think they'd have any problem with you asking for more info about them; you're both feeling each other out here. It could be interesting work. Definitely ask what their rates are. And if they don't want to give that info, then I guess you have your answer. You don't want to pay the fee and find out they don't pay enough. You could even find they're just not a good match for you.

Yeah, I sent back a query about that and now I'm just waiting to see what they have to say. I figured I'd see if anyone here had any experience with them, though, as sort of a 'just in case.'

I'll let people know what the rates/etc are if I get an answer. If I end up backing out of it, I can at least post some of the details here to see if any of the other transcribers on this list are interested in it.

fake edit: it sounds like they transcribe mostly court cases and interviews where it comes to the law enforcement stuff, rather than ill-gotten phone conversations. They've got the same scope as DT, with a tight schedule, but some of their methods are a little odd to me (15 min segments that need to be finished in an hour or so, which means you just get chunks of files instead of the entire thing, so for all I know, it's wire tapping). Overall, like I said, the reviews all point to them being legit, but, yeah, I'm leery. I'd prefer to stick around in media specifically, but I do need another source of income at the moment, so we'll see.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Aug 28, 2013

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

Well, what's the per-minute rate? Daily Transcripts and Focus Forward are in the 60-70 cent range, which isn't very good but DT is media work and it can lead to much better gigs. When I looked into it, it was from the perspective of someone who's been a transcriber for years and has the luxury of turning down cheap work. Things might have changed, or the rates may not be that bad comparatively for people who are looking for more work.

At a glance, 'abysmally low' is the only phrase I can use to describe it. Comparing the audio length vs. amount paid legitimately makes my head hurt:

EDIT: On the other hand, Casting Words appears to be offering $1/audio minute (for some of their work, anyway). SpeechInk, not so much.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Sep 19, 2013

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Internet Friend posted:

To be a little more specific than No Gravitas, you don't need to learn to "remaster" to remove background noise. With Audacity you highlight a short segment of just background noise, run the noise removal tool, press the "get noise profile" button, select the whole audio track, run the tool again and remove noise. It takes very little time at all.

The main problem I've run into is that some of the voices you hear are so blurred out by the background noise in the first place that removing it doesn't do much good (as in, it removes the voice entirely). At that point, though, it's on the client's head for providing lovely audio.

I really wish DT would have more of a dialogue with clients who are repeat offenders when it comes to crappy quality. I'm in a position right now where I can't turn down many jobs from them, and certain names that pop up on the assignment list automatically make me want to chew my fingers off. It seems like they would want to advise these people on ways to get cleaner transcripts, and maybe they do and the clients are just too dumb to listen, but still.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Sep 30, 2013

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

I have had some real poo poo ones, and I'll just tell you exactly what I do, I listen through, make sure they're aware of the situation, because boss lady can't always listen to everything, and sometimes she just doesn't know the middle portion of a file is pure poo poo. So as long as she knows she can inform the client. Do your best and crack on but make ure they're informed of the situation. I always get told except for some minor stuff, you are not being paid to be a sound engineer. But look there is hope, it's almost university research season, and there's nothing nicer than really anal research assistants, because they're usually very good about making sure they have everything being recorded properly.

Save one client that I honestly cannot loving stand, even if the work they're doing is really commendable. But yeah, those 'middle of the table' ones are the ones where I feel like I want to tell these people, look, I get the importance of the discussion you're having, the least you can do is shell out for audio equipment that isn't running on two parts luck, three parts dog poo poo, and maybe a couple prayers thrown in for good measure. It's like listening to people talk through wads of cheesecloth.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Crunch Bucket posted:

Really curious if we both hate the same client now, cause there is one that I want to decline immediately whenever it shows up in my email.

I wouldn't be surprised. If you were on the roster for the latest batch over the last couple days, then the answer's yes.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Spartan421 posted:

If we are talking about something that may or may not be related to environmentalist hippies then I am in agreement.

Oh god, there's another one?

What am I saying? Of course there's another one.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Oh wow! I totally didn't get those, but I stuck with "we'll film it to help you out...from behind!" till the bitter end...and that one whiny individual pocket recording all of her friends to prove she's awesome and they suck.

I feel like we just need a private mailing list or something to bitch about this in 'slightly looser terms,' but I know that would be a bad idea.

Still, it'd be nice if we at least all made comments about the 'problem clients' consistently, so that DT could pass along the information. I'm not ever sure that they do. For the one I've been dealing with, I've mentioned their audio-based shortcomings plenty of times.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Oct 2, 2013

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

A Good Post

Actually I can say from talking to boss lady regarding some, that's already been a thing, when people refuse to take the jobs she just stops accepting the work from them because there's no way to fulfill it, that's why we stopped seeing the filming from behind research client.

It's something to keep in mind. I don't want to blackball the one I just took because it was honestly a worthwhile cause, but when it comes down to it, it's hard to justify the amount I was paid vs. the amount of work that had be done. Like I said: I wish I could contact the client directly and let them figure out a way to better coordinate their recordings.

In the meantime, I guess if any of us land one of THOSE assignments, we can bat around some PMs and see if the others are willing to deal with it when any of us aren't feeling up to it. Seems like a fair way of dealing with it. I just had to turn down a lucrative one because of an absurd amount of Accents Happening that I seriously could not understand.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
You'll be fine. I've done this a couple times for files that I legitimately can't understand. It's more a matter of not doing it all the time/not accidentally putting them in a bad position over it. 30 hours is more than enough time to complete a file (and I know they can adjust deadlines with the clients if need be, so).

BTW, when did you guys end up working ABS? Did it just show up in your mailbox one day, or did you ask for the assignment?

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
edited for too identifying

carry on

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 09:11 on Nov 2, 2013

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
Where was that handy guide for pasting transcripts into two columns? 'Cause I kind of need it, like, by tomorrow, or I'll be making $5/hour and hating the living hell out of the client.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Centripetal Horse posted:

Kazmeyer, I'm curious about how assignments are distributed from these transcription houses. From reading your posts, it sounds like they just dump work in your lap when they have it, as opposed to the bidding or claiming models used by many of the freelance writing outlets. Are there places that let you choose your own jobs from pools, or companies that will allow you to say, "I only want to do one or two projects per week?"

DT dumps them on you as they show up, depending on how much time you signed up for.

Lately they've been really slow to hand out assignments.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

As for DT, I dunno, this is everything for the last few weeks has been rush more than anything...that and fuckers who love to chew gum!

They must hate me lately, I've gotten all of one job per week.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I don't think most transcription clients really understand what :suicide: 'pure verbatim' :suicide: means when it comes to transcribing, a-a-and, uh, you know, it-it-it-it's :suicide: someone who-who-who, uh, talks fast :suicide: a-a-an-and :suicide: stutters like mad :suicide:

EDIT: especially if their only, primary interest is in getting a specific type of information.

Good lord, at least doing relay allowed me to skip punctuation. In this job, you're expected to use it, which makes the stuttering even more horrifying. It honestly makes me wish we could send direct messages to the clients for DT jobs, just asking 'dude are you sure you really want this?'

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Apr 12, 2014

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

kazmeyer posted:

Feel free to ask whoever assigned you the file. Sometimes they'll tell you to ease up on the verbatim in a case like that. Someone with a pronounced stutter and verbatim transcribing I'd either demand more money or send the file back. You have to be able to assess the work you're doing and if what you're being paid isn't commensurate to the time it's taking, you need to make the call.

Like, I'm about to inform one of my clients the tape I'm working on is the last I'm doing on this project unless she can get the customer to cough up more money. It's a very high end production and something I'm ridiculously interested in, but the combination of strong accents plus the crew not being very good public speakers is turning this into a nightmare. Interviews with the actors are amazing, interviews with the key loving grips are like pulling teeth.

If there was more work right now, I would've sent it back. As is, I'm not in a position to argue.

Last time I said 'uh, this tape has a lot of stuttering and lovely sentence structure' (for a client where it was obviously just an audio-only interview for a thesis) I was just told to deal with it, and, err, last I checked, they didn't bother to tell the client until after the transcripts had been delivered. A month later, I got the same client, and they decided to go with clean verbatim. In other words, lately, it only happens after the fact.

Add in lovely audio, and DT putting out an ultimatum on 'anything that isn't sterling silver we're going to fire you/not pay you for, even if we have staffed QA people,' and it's basically its own nightmare.

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Apr 12, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
EDIT: n/m, bad mood made for dumb bitching

Old Boot fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Apr 14, 2014