Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

Doghouse posted:

Ugh, I just checked my star ratings in Lionbridge for the past couple of months. I used to average 4 stars, sometimes getting 5, and sometimes 3, but the last three months I have gotten 2 three-stars and a two star in March. I have no idea at all what is different month to month but it scares me to get a 2 star rating. Does anyone have any idea what I can do to make sure I get high star ratings? It is so incredibly frustrating to have no idea what in the hell they rating me on and why...

Supposedly it helps if you take quizzes on Geoworkerz and attend Webinars, no idea how much though. Been liking the constant 30 hour weeks recently

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Doghouse posted:

If there are excess hours allowed one week, can I work those hours any time in the month? Like this past week was extra - can I work extra from now until the end of the month and end up with an approximately 99 hour month? Or do I have to complete it during the specific week?

I have done multiple 30 hours weeks before to have the extra hours to take a week off and they have never said anything. I dont see why they would with this either.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Looks like LB is making everyone install a toolbar now. You can not have any other browser open when rating now, which is pretty annoying. So even if you arent rating and refresh to see if there are tasks, it will turn on and instantly close every browser you have open.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

I wonder if there are any browsers it doesnt check for

Appears it only picks up the major browser, tried about 3-4 less popular browsers and they all worked.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Aug 20, 2012

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Guy Montag posted:

Hey, newbie question here so apologies if it's been asked. I just finished my LF practical test (part II), and I haven't heard back yet. Is it graded automatically or does it take a while? Basically since I didn't hear back right away I'm worried I didn't pass, which I doubt since I double checked things.

If I remember right, it is the same process as LB, I think it is within 24 hours of the due date.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Doghouse posted:

Huh, I haven't gotten a star rating in Lionbridge since May, not that I had any idea how they calculated it. Still, it felt reassuring since I usually got 4 stars. Anyone else have this?

I was wondering the same thing myself when my other friend mentioned it a week or two ago. I think it is based on mostly URL/SXS rating, but since there have been like maybe 2 urls a week if that, maybe there isnt enough to judge it on? No idea really.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Ramadu posted:

It's been really slow. I think I got like, 20 hours for all of august, and that was checking every day. I really hope it picks up.

I'm guessing it will based on last year. If I remember right, right around September it returned to normal, might have to do with people going back to school and maybe not doing tasks.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Doghouse posted:

If I quit Lionbridge, is there any way to go back later? I just don't have the time now but I would love to have it as an option.

You might just be able to hit the "Need to leave" thing on Geoworkerz. Then again, my friend hasnt done anything in 6+ months with them and is still able to work if he had to.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

MasterControl posted:

Read through the OP and decided to apply to all three search places: leapforce, lionbridge, and butler hill. I just head back from lionbridge and there's an nda. This is probabaly an "of course" but you can't work with leapforce while doing work for them. However there's nothing about butler hill (whom I still need to hear back from).

I haven't read through the whole thread but I would be curious if anyone who still reads this has anything to say about the jobs or their experience? I'm technically able in every way possible but have been bitten by the layoff bug. I do digital consulting on the side so this would be a nice little padding of work to do while watching the baby sleep.

I work for LB, both them and LF let you work whenever you want, not sure if LF also wants you to do at least 10 hour a week. I am not sure if this changed, but Butler Hill wants you to work 4 hours a day M-F. You have to pass a test to work at any of these jobs. It isnt the most exciting work, but you can learn a lot of random facts while rating searches. Task availability is also a problem sometimes, especially right around/after holidays. Any other questions, just ask.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

MasterControl posted:

Thanks for the feedback. I've been reading things on glassdoor about it and there seems to be some weird issues popping up. After reading all of it my largest concern is do you feel the time invested is an issue? There seems to be something about lots of training or guidelines that are changed frequently. Are we talking training that tells me how to "turn on a pc" first or are we talking about deep technical stuff? I'm digitally literate so most training doesn't phase me. AndI'm totally fine with a 4 hour day m-f, it's just that I don't want to enter into work where I'm dumping hours upon hours of "training" . How are the hours tracked? Are the tasks really vague too?

The training for LB isnt bad at all, after learning the basic guidelines there is only new info when you come across new task types. Usually it takes a minute or two of reading before you figure out what you have to do. Usually the guidelines change every few months and are minor things like, "You should now rate a famous persons Twitter lower if the user does not specifically ask for it."

e: In regards to training and BH, my friend worked there after he had problems with LB. He said if he didnt do good on a few tasks they would put him in unpaid training for a week at a time, which kept repeating. I never really asked about this in depth, but seemed pretty annoying.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

MasterControl posted:

Just a few more questions. Do you work for more than one of them or only BH? How many hours a week are you putting in? I just passed the first tests and am doing the study courses right now. It seems daunting with all the 30 minute training sessions. I do realize they do pay for the training so that's ok and hey I do need to know how to do the work. Just seems like a lot. Another important question is: do you guys actually mind the work?

I only work for LB and try to get 20 hours in if possible, but that also depends on what other kind of work I have to do and my schedule. I dont mind the work most of the time, but some of the tasks can be boring. It helps to have something on TV to watch while working or something to read.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

I've got a lot of free time, infinite capacity for boredom, and audio studio equipment so DT looks like it wouldn't be too hard for some extra cash.

My god the demo audio is terrible. Was it recorded on the runway of an active airport? I've managed to get away with only two or three [INAUDIBLE]s but what do I do with the part at the end where the interviewer is making them high-five and stuff? It's not really a question.

I started taking the test, ended up with a similar amount of [INAUDIBLE], but same question about the end, they are just going back and forth outside of the interview. There really arent questions being asked, just the two people who are being interviewd going back and forth about nothing really. I was thinking about just doing the [NON-INTERVIEW], but wasnt sure.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

One more random transcription question. I was looking over what I wrote down for the test today, noticed that after about a minute into my transcription that all my timecodes are now off by 4 seconds consistently throughout it. Is there something that could have caused this? I havent changed any settings on Realplayer AFAIK.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

kazmeyer posted:

It may be a frame rate issue. I think most tapes usually run at 29.97DF, but you may encounter 29.97 or 30FPS on occasion. Your timecoding software probably defaults to 30FPS. I can't remember the free program DT recommends, but there should be a place where you can adjust it. It may take some tinkering, but you should be able to get it to match the tape speed to prevent time code drift. (Unfortunately, I ditched the free stuff before I got to DT, so I'm kind of crap for technical advice.)

I think I figured it out, I accidentally kicked out my headphone from the jack and noticed the timing went off by 4 seconds, restarted the video and it was fine. So I guess if they unplug at all for whatever reason, I have to reload RealPlayer and the file.

Finally finished fixing it all, transcribed all of the parts I thought were [NON-INTERVIEW] as recommended to be safe.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

How long does the grading for the DT test usually take?

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Has anyone been having trouble with LB submitting tasks/loading EWOQ over the last few days? It seems to be going down for anywhere from a couple minutes to over an hour at random throughout the day.

Still waiting on the DT test results, I know they are busy, just has been almost two weeks now.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Does anyone know if DT emails you if you failed the test? Only reason I am asking is because it is closing in on a month since I emailed my test file in and haven't heard anything back yet. I know people were saying DT was very busy towards mid-February when I submitted, not sure if that is still the case or what.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

jabro posted:

Email them asking about it. I heard back from my test the next day but didn't get my paperwork for signing up. After waiting about a week and a half I emailed them asking about it and they apologized for the wait but were swamped the past couple of weeks. They sent the paperwork right then and I started. Never hurts to ask and it might show them you are excited to start the job.

Well I opened my email to ask them and there was my acceptance letter, yay!

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

I figured since I got hired, I should probably pickup a pedal and some headphones. Any advice on either? I was thinking maybe these two, both have good reviews. I dont know if there is anything missing with this pedal or if it is good enough, same with the headphones.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L8081E/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A35FL3JI2LDDZ3

and

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0007XJSQC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

One more question, I feel stupid asking, but this is at the end of the contract I am supposed to sign for DT. I figured out I am the "undersigned", and that they fill out the second "company" part, but what is the By: line?

By: _______________________ Date: ________________
Name: ____________________
“Undersigned”

By: _______________________ Date: ________________
Name: ____________________
For “Company”

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Has DT been short on work lately or is it just normal to get 2 files in 3 weeks when starting out? I have been requesting 60 minutes M-F every week, unless I need to request more.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Spartan421 posted:

Yeah, it's been pretty dry. I got an offer to do some editing for 50 cents a minute a moment ago, but eh. I think I'll do lionbridge instead.

At least LB has a 30 hour week this week, feels like it has been forever since one has happened.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Spartan421 posted:

How do you see who else has signed up?

On the scheduling page if you look at a date on the calendar it lists a number "Work Request(20)"

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Not sure if anyone would have any possible solutions to this, but LB is of no help.

Starting about a month ago, when I get most SxS tasks and 1-2 specific EXP tasks, they will not submit. Usually it hangs on the "sending to rater hub" after I hit submit, then just stays on the task page. Then after anywhere from 1-30 minutes of trying to submit it will go through. LB had me try another ISP, which everything worked fine on. I then decided to try my laptop at home instead of my PC and everything worked fine. I then formatted my PC thinking I might of had some random problem, but it still persists. No idea if SxS's use a different submitting process than EXP's/RR or what is going on, LB isn't helping at all with the issue though. It is just so much easier for me to work on my PC vs the laptop.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

I had what was probably my worst DT file this weekend. I had to slow the audio down to 70% for him to even talk at a somewhat normal speed. He also liked to jam a bunch of words together and then randomly mumble. Only 70 minutes of him talking, probably 2 minutes of the interviewer asking questions and then him rambling on and on and on. Probably had around 100 inaudible's over ~40 pages.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

LB has been absolutely horrible this week. At least getting a bunch of DT work.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Does requesting work on DT go by the first people to request it for that day or by seniority? I guess there are also certain types that they don't let everyone do too. Have only got one file each of the past 2 weeks with nothing yet this week. Usually put in for 60 mins a day.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Finally have my first file from DT that involves 6+ speakers with a recorder on a table and they are all females that sound the same.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Spartan421 posted:

That happened once. I just started assigning random names when a speaker spoke and no one said anything.

Yeah the guests supposedly are all anonymous too, so not really worrying.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Looks like I'm done working for DT. Never really was able to request more than an hour or so a week and have been busy the past couple weeks. I'm guessing I was replaced by a new hire.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

Did anyone get their 1099 from DT? It is the only one I'm missing, just waiting for it to do my taxes.

e: might not have made enough, emailed them to see if they can just send me what I made.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Feb 16, 2015

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

e: nevermind

dms666 fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Feb 17, 2015

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

baram. posted:

Has anyone here had any experience working with companies like Leapforce/Lionbridge/Appen? Been trying to figure something out to do in my off time for some extra money and they seem a little more interesting than transcription to me.

Pretty easy work once you get the rating system down. LB is starting to mostly smart phone + computer for rating tasks now.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

For those who want to do the whole writing thing, check out ClearVoice as well. You do need some prior published content to build out your portfolio before you get approved though. I started out with 500-600 word articles for $40, but do randomly get 600 words for $97.50 from this one particular client. Everything else is anywhere in between that. It can get thin at times just like every other site though.

e: I still do LionBridge, which is now Telus International. But they must have a worker shortage because they are offering weekly bonuses of $75 for hitting 15 hours of rating.

dms666 fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Jun 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

kazmeyer posted:

Huh. I've actually got published stuff under my pen name. The bad news is it's Demand Studios content-mill poo poo.

The funniest thing I ever saw was when I Googled my pen name and found people citing me. It's turtles all the way down.

The only things I had in my portfolio when I was hired there were random blog posts from other content mill sites which didn't have my name on them. I'm not sure how they actually verify anything you fill your portfolio with, but I've had friends who eventually got hired there with only 2-3 10+ year old articles they wrote for gaming blogs.