Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

Dolphin posted:

I would use paper tape. Mesh is great for hardibacker and cement board type applications where you're applying thinset, but it's a pain in the rear end with joint compound. Paper tape on the seems, metal corner bead on the outside corners, reinforced paper on the inside corners (not really all that necessary in my opinion but it's up to you).

This is what I've found too. The paper tape allows for a thinner first coat, which I find easier to deal with over time.

Really, though, whatever you are comfortable with is fine. The only gotcha I've found with mesh is that if your bedding coat is too thin, it separates easily from the joint and that's a bitch to fix. With paper, I never had that happen.

^^^ I've found the metal easier to line up on long outside corners when you have multiple pieces and less likely to bend during installation. Also, with nails, you don't have a finite amount of set time like you do with the adhesive.

Keep up the awesome work, though, you're in the home stretch!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU