Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

dreesemonkey posted:

[words] [picture]

And I thought my stepdad was anal about his wiring! You should have archive-quality DVDs made of this file so that it can be stored in various cavities throughout the house for people to find hundreds of years from now.

Seriously though, that is pure awesome. You should draw out a schematic and tie the two together with a web interface, similar to a PLC simulation program so that you can turn off breakers and have a visual of what would happen. Ahhhh, being a nerd is grand...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Awesome progress, have been following the thread from the start and you have come a long way. I know how sleeping on a couch and living out of laundry baskets goes... can't wait to be at the same point you are! Just moved our mattress and box springs to the new place but for some reason the wife says we need running water before she will move in????

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Wow great work dude! You'll have it done in no time :D

2x3 rectangular steel is so awesome for so many things... I've used it for bumpers/winch mounts, crossmembers, blocking/cribbing, hitting things, and so many other wonderful and creative uses. Glad to see it came in handy for jacking up part of a house as well!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kastein posted:

Close, hopefully I'll be becoming the lead (AKA only) EE/embedded systems engineer at a company building flying cars.

So yes it involves flying cars.

I'm an electrical and computer engineer specializing in embedded systems.

Well that sounds fuckin awesome. Best of luck to ya! I've been patiently awaiting my George Jetson briefcase car for a long time now. GET TO WORK! :D

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Wasn't going to rub this in but might as well... Every day is free dump day in my town! wooooooooooooo 420 throw poo poo out every day

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kastein posted:

I really really hate it when people dump stuff in the woods illegally. In fact I've hauled probably 20 old tires, a couple old couches, and a few truckloads of random debris out of the woods while 4-wheeling because I hated looking at it. One of the best things about running a pickup instead of an SUV.

I do the same thing because it makes me sad to see this stuff in the woods. Have hauled out all sorts of insane stuff and brought it to the dump because others were too lazy. Ran across a big pile of junk in some County Reforestation Land last night on an ATV trail, but was on a motorcycle and it was too hard to carry a full weight bench thing out of the woods with just a bungee net and no real straps...

Bunch of idiots around the world apparently.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Wow I just caught up on all the rot-stuff, man.. That is discouraging but you are doing a good job of Taking Care of Business so just keep at that poo poo!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kastein posted:

it's going to be some pretty :banjo: poo poo no matter what happens.

I get the feeling that for both of us that is most often the case ;)

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kastein posted:

I haven't even gotten the drat mill inside yet and a friend of a friend saw the pictures of it hanging from a crane on my facebook and decided he wants to give me his lathe. I'm not sure how this happens to me, but I'm certainly not complaining.

Just have to pick it up... where have I heard this before?

It is reportedly "made in the 30s or 40s or so, for metal working, working area around 2 feet long, comes with motors and tooling and stuff, weighs 200-300lbs" which is somewhat contradictory. I'm almost hoping the weight is the part that's wrong. As long as it can swing something ~5" radius and grab material up to 3.125" diameter, I will be happier than a pig in poo poo. Hell, I will be either way, that would just be the icing on the cake.

:drat:

You've got all the luck :) I'll trade you a free snowmobile for your free lathe+mill !!!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

That sucks man. I can't even believe it is warm enough to even think about trying mortaring a foundation, we hit -19F last night. BRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :iceburn:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

I on the other hand love it. Keep up the good work man!!! You deserve a beer.

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kastein posted:

That's all for now, probably more tomorrow, I still have another cornerpost to replace, brick support post for it to redo, and a foundation wall to rebuild.

Just because I like to learn things, is there a reason to use these type of joist hangers rather than the ones that are connected in a "U" with a piece that supports the bottom of the joist?

Also: keep being awesome, dude. I hope your parents appreciate the work you are doing for them

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kastein posted:

I used those because sadly, Strong-Ties aren't available for true dimensional lumber. Their house is like mine, and made entirely out of lumber that's 1/8" under nominal size instead of 1/2"* under like modern KD+planed lumber, so regular hangers don't do poo poo for us here. Therefore we used those hangers (which are actually intended to support stair treads - they're significantly thicker than regular hangers) with 1/4" grade 8 bolts through the joists to the other hanger and 5" long 1/4" structural screws (either panhead SPAX or GRK RSSes, I can't remember, same poo poo though) into the support beam.

* yes, I know about x8 and larger dimensions being 3/4" under :haw:

Ahhh jeez. I hadn't had my morning coffee. Had to do the same thing in my place with some of the amish sawn lumber and didn't think about it. Carry on, nothing to see here :D

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Serious kudos for getting that done in the winter. With all this stuff you have been doing you are surely honing your masonry skills quite nicely.

One day at a time; small improvements add up to big changes!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

RE: Gutter Chat

You should put up gutters everywhere, not just above doors. It will do wonders for getting the water away from your foundation and prevent problems down the road. I have had to yell at so many people lately when they want me to come look at some falling in garage/barn/addition and it was entirely preventable if they'd just had some loving gutters (mostly rotten sills like you had) :cripes:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Dragyn posted:

Preach!

The #1 reason I had to replace nearly the entire back wall of my garage was because there were no gutters and a shitton of rain just ran right down into the wall space. Also I had a blocked up gutter cause about 8 inches of water in my basement not long ago.

I mean... you can accomplish similar with generous roof overhangs and properly designed and constructed drainage, but unless you feel like adding roof overhang and trenching next to your foundation on an existing building, add some gutters :hfive:

Do you pay for water from the municipality? if so harvest that sweet sweet rain water and flush your toilets with it

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Keep up the good work, man.

I use those corrosion proof decking screws that are approved for treated lumber in basically -everything- now. gently caress nails! :goshawk:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

It makes me unreasonably happy that you went with 2x6 for that end wall btw. That's probably the best decision I ever made... true dimension 2x6 walls 16" OC OHHHHHHH YEAH BABY.

Aside from the "gonna last nearly forever" beef factor, now that the insulation is finished (R42 fiberglass in ceiling as of this fall, R21 walls and floor) we switched to an even smaller woodstove and with the weather being the way it has been (30F+ during the day) we burn it once a day for a few hours or once every couple of days and the whole place stays warm.

Looking forward to details re: your radiant heating setup!!

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kastein posted:

I've got like a thousand pounds of scrap iron and steel sitting in the corner of the yard that I haven't bothered to bring in anyways. It's worthless, it can sit till it's worth something then I'll call a scrapper and tell them it's free if they take it away.

Yep, waited too long due to other stuff going on. Now who knows if all our scrap steel will ever be worth enough money to bother getting rid of or if it will just return to the earth... It is literally worthless right now but I still see people grabbing it up as fast as possible so they can stockpile for "when the prices go back up"

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

My brother recently bought an old rear end house that has a toilet and sink under the stairway to the second floor. Code probably won't let you get away with cool space saving early 1900s tricks like that anymore :bahgawd:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

kastein posted:

I know right? I'd given up entirely on dating until I finished the house, and then accidentally met The One. She's one in a trillion and every day I wake up wondering how the hell I got so lucky.

:rock: :rock: :rock:

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Spermy Smurf posted:

Off topic, but: Apetit, where are you posting pics of your backwoods shenanigans now? You closed the thread, didn't leave a referral thread or anything.

And yes, I call you Apetit in my head.

At the moment nowhere, not sure where the best place for a new thread is or if a new thread is the right answer or just post individual projects in appropriate threads here. I mean we DID retreat to the wilderness and have been there 3 years, the thread served its purpose in my opinion.

Basically I was too lazy to keep the thread updated and being more or less a hermit it started to feel like being a cam whore or something, almost 200k views but only 1k replies is some voyeur poo poo for sure.

My wife yelled at me for closing it and editing out bunches of stuff, if that makes you feel better. She said I was letting down the folks that were following

Props to kastein for remembering to take pictures of relevant stuff and posting them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatite
Dec 2, 2006

Got yer back, Jack

Keep up the good work man, you are awesome and have really come a long ways with this place.

Is spring hitting you yet? We are finally getting some tastes and it sure is sweet