Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Do you happen to have a master album of these pictures somewhere? All of the original ones from the beginning of the thread are long gone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Leperflesh posted:

if you actually do need to bring home a bunch of 4x8, like for a different project I mean, home depot rents pickup trucks and vans by the hour.

And if it's rented out around $30 gets you a f150 from uhaul for the day. ($20 plus miles tax and gas.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Mother fucker. Sheet metal bites back. This probably should have been stitched up but it was in an annoying spot to stitch and I wasn't spending 1300 on ER bills and waiting hours so I guess I will have another scar now.

It takes dual 10x24 filters. Not a standard size from home Depot but it was all I could fit without making a wart on the ceiling.

What no superglue?

For filters I've found buying cases from Nordic Pure to be the easiest (but not cheapest) option: https://nordicpure.com/filter-size/1-ac-furnace-air-filter/10x24x1.html (Don't know what dept you chose there, they make everything.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

House? Well, I was assuming I'd be building a regular 2-3 bedroom 2 floor house with a basement and stuff. However, my wife thinks that's silly and wants to build a tiny house.

If this is the house you hope to grow old in you might want to consider the accessibility of the place. A tiny house ( :suicide: ) is going to wind up pretty incompatible with aging, and in 20 years you guys might want some house space that isn't right next to each other. Not saying 2 story w/ basement is the only other option but like ~1400sqft single story is a decent amount of house for 2 people long term.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Since my house is 140 years old

What do you think the average age of your house is now?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhh by mass, volume, hours, or dollars?

Dreesemonkey, yeah, it was pretty sketchy and I'm very glad that part is done now.

Mass or volume, dealers choide. Blood sweat and tears don't count.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Somehow I missed that this was all in clear view of some neighbors. That must be wild to see crazy old kastein out there again building his above ground bomb shelter out of rotted wood and rusty nails.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

stevobob posted:

What's the threshold between barn/shop and warehouse?

The forklifts.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Well first I jacked it up and ripped part of the wall and floor out as usual...

I read this in a foreboding tone and assumed by the bottom of the post the house fell down. Basically like the second half of the post would continue with "but then..."

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I like that out of all of the expensive over-engineering that has gone on in this house this is where the line is drawn. I presume because it's yet another drat thing to haul off to Washington.

(I understand you're trying to limit outward cashflow at the moment.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

:stare:

:catstare:

I remember my dad Shanghai'ing me into hauling cement board with him in high school and shaming me because I wasn't doing it with a hernia. That's a gently caress ton of material.

I can't wait to see you build something from the ground up.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

I use the phone app for uploading (which shrugs and throws all the photos in a random order in the album) and I then have to hand-code the results into bbcode because I want to use the huge thumbnail not the regular one and don't want to abuse people's bandwidth with timg tags, especially because (iirc) timg tags inside a url tag make things flip out instead of working right as mobile browsers and the awful app don't know whether you're tapping the photo to expand the timg or to open the url. I'll have to double check most of that.

Last night I was writing the post from my laptop not my phone and it seems they've forced me over to the new imgur web interface, which hides the url I wanted another 4 or 5 clicks deep in menus. So I just right clicked and copied the url and added the h tag to it manually. But still, it's a pain in the rear end especially with it randomly ordering the photos from the app when they get uploaded.

Phone upload, computer post. Right click the picture in the album view -> open image in new tab, copy url, paste into your post. The desktop forums will wrap it in bbcode for you. Find/replace 'img]' with 'timg]'.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
If we're vacuum posturing gently caress all this lugging a motor around crap. Central vac is the only true way to clean your house. Even if the filter isn't HEPA the exhaust is outside where it doesn't matter. We had one at my childhood house which my dad solo installed, we had a goddamned menagerie of long haired cats, various dog(s), and some birds.

It was the thing that finally cut the dust in that house. The first month of running that thing was horrifying. We emptied it after every run for the first couple of days, then every few runs, and finally a more normal schedule.

He got insurance to pay for part of it and didn't pay sales tax on the rest with a letter of medical necessity for my asthma and allergies. (You know, to all those animals.)

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Blistex posted:

If you can install the piping, then this is the only answer.

If you build a house from the ground up without one your priorities are in the wrong place. Even if you just run the pvc+wire everywhere and buy the unit later.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Pigsfeet on Rye posted:

I'm curious: do you have vacuum ports in each room for central vac, or do you have a single area vacuum port, or is it just a design issue?

You have enough to cover the house. Our old house had I want to say 3 or 4 ports. The hose for the vacuum is very long. So the last option.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

I started planning how I'm going to fur out the kitchen ceiling, including the enclosure for the AC evaporator unit and ducting, and realized that if I'm going to do that, I really need to build the access hatch for it. I've been dreading this for several years now because it's a weird pancake shaped unit so it uses a weird long narrow filter set (two 10x24x1s, end to end... was very space limited, sometimes you gotta piss with the cock you got, would have preferred a lot more filter area, much thicker filter rack, and more standard sizes, but oh well) and if it ever has to come out for service or replacement, it has to do it the broad way. Yikes. So I measured and it looks like the hatch needs to be... uh... at least 44x60. Christ that's big.

It ended up 48x65 inches, 46.5x64.5 opening. And weighs a goddamn ton, even though I used 1/8 stock for everything and 16ga for the door panel.

Evap access hatch aka the widow maker. :stare:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I am not saying not to use it. :black101:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Galler posted:

It's not a failure it's an iterative design.

Make a super complicated hinge system that drops the panel down and slides it out of the way. Then update it to v3.x which will only occasionally maim the operator.

Fatality rate to 100% in v4.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

I win, the loving chainsaw runs again!

Took the rest of the tree down as soon as I got it running.

https://i.imgur.com/NE2U8GX.mp4

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Close. I held onto the branch stumps with my knees while I cut the trunk into chunks and let them drop. It didn't swing around that much but it sure felt like it did.

I'm not entirely certain how you overcame the pucker factor of being up on that tree.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Holy poo poo the very idea of driving a bobcat around in a basement scares the hell out of me :stare:

I'm in Washington for the week now to deal with getting the well drilled for our new place. Holy gently caress the blackberries and scotch broom took the place over fast.

How are your zillion trees?

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Scarodactyl posted:

I'd be worried about ending up Mike Mulligan'ed.

Getting hot apple pies every day? :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Liquid Communism posted:

He's probably using a lot more labor than one madman willing to throw up siding in the dark with sketchy scaffolding. :v:

Sure most won't do it at night.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Scrolling through I noticed how a piece of siding was bowing out and wondered if you noticed. Turns out it's for safety. :stare:

Looking good!

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Even if I did that, you can build a better house than this that actually fully meets modern structural standards (instead of only the parts of the frame I've had to fix meeting them) and has a higher r value in metro West Boston for less than that, so I'm seriously doubting it would get me much.

You're not selling the house, you're selling the story. For $300k

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Jonny Quest posted:

I'm very confused by that pipe work, to my eyes it looks like you have a wet vent which I thought was a big no no.

Looks like a laundry drain, to go with the hookups on the left.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

kastein posted:

Pulled the spacers and tape. It's starting to almost look nice, can't wait for the mastic to finish curing so I can grout this and toss the vanity, medicine cabinet, and toilet back in.

That looks awesome. And if that's your first big tile job your attention to detail shows. You certainly picked a doozy of a pattern.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
I'm sure those tiny imperfections are as good as any tiler does day in day out. Grouting is its own thing as I'm sure you've read. You want it sponged/wiped down to the correct depth before it sets. I'm no tiler but I have laid a decent amount of easy 12x12. My friends managed to forget that first rule and spent a ton of time basically chiseling away at these giant grooves of grout on the wall of their laundry room. (Think quarter inch gap turned into closer to an inch of grout.)

Thankfully you have a water source and drain right there. :v: I've never used premix though so I don't know how it works compared to the dry powder.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
That looks great!

How thick is premix grout? (or mastic for that matter?) I've only ever used dry powder and a hose so there was a little flexibility in making it easy flowing. It lasted 20 years until the next owners jack hammered it all up so it couldn't have been that wrong.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Yeah the pictures make it look very paste like, that sounds miserable. Mixing your own is the way to go, but it does mean making a dusty horror show somewhere. You can get it to a sort of far too thick for a straw milkshake consistency. Use a corded drill and mixing bit. Spreads easy, flows well, and cleans off decently. Though I did tend to spend a lot of time dealing with haze, oops. That was likely operator error over applying.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

Motronic posted:

If you've never used a bag in a shop vac for dusty stuff prepare to have your mind blown the first time you're picking up drywall dust.

+1

Sucks everything up until it's full, no clogs. Uh, wear a mask and goggles when opening. Don't open it near flammable vapors. So much static electricity. Then again I sucked out the fine ash from our fireplace with it. It's amazing how little makes it past with a hepa kit.

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Engine hoists with preposterous cheater bar extensions? :v:

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006
Regardless of direction if this is the gravest sin to date I think he will pass inspection fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H110Hawk
Dec 28, 2006

cursedshitbox posted:

Goddamn that looks incredible despite being a balluster buster of a project.