Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Plotterboy posted:

Congrats. Falling through the ceiling is the last step to being a builder!

This, most of us do it at least once. Kind of a right of passage, like shooting yourself with a nail gun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

kastein posted:

Here's hoping I never do that. gently caress that, my nailgun's got 16d framing nails in it!

I have already shocked the poo poo out of myself with 120VAC though, years ago. And hit my thumbs with my 22oz framing hammer. And burned myself with the propane torch sweating pipe...

... so I think I can probably skip cutting myself with the circ saw and shooting myself with the nailgun.

I'm also glad that the ceiling I put my foot through is getting ripped out in a few weeks anyways. No real loss there.

Yea, I worked as a cabinet builder for years, it happens. In fact I managed to put a 16d framing nail (gun with a screwed up safety) right into the end of my boot. Luckily it went right between 2 toes. Worst was falling off a scaffold though.
BTW, nice work with the subflooring, liquid nails is a builders best friend.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

Plotterboy posted:

I used to look after my fathers apprentices. Usually the conversation went like this:

"careful of the nailgun"
"I KNOW WHAT IM DOING"
*Kachunk!*

Most of the time people get the nails in the webbing between thier thumb and forefinger, so its not that bad.

However, one of our subbies had a big toe for a thumb.

This was because he was working alone once and nailed his thumb to the wall with framing nails through the bone. He had to amputate so he wouldn't be standing there all night and get to hospital.

Oh god, this sounds so familiar. The sound of a large nailgun is so very distinctive, and you can always tell by the sound when it's gone through something other than wood. And yes, it is often right in the webbing. My father always joked that he'd shot himself with a pin nailer/staplegun a few times, but never anyone else. Then he nailed a new guy to a desk, right through the web of his thumb. If you've ever done this, you know it doesn't really hurt that much, but the poor bastard passed out and then begged to be taken to the ER.

Crap, really didn't mean to hijack your great thread kastein, maybe we should make a injury in the line of duty/hobby thread. Actually, should probably be just named WHOOPS!

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Looking great kastein, are you doing the texturing yourself?
Also, I don't envy all the taping to be done there (this from a man who has done a shitload of tape and bed).

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

kastein posted:

I won't be doing any texturing, just regular old semigloss or eggshell paint, haven't decided which.

I'm not looking forward to taping mudding and sanding. Not one bit. I was going to start today but I ended up driving all over the state hauling various jeep parts to people I'd struck deals and/or trades with and just got home.

One piece of advice, your drywall trowel (the rectangular one) should have one edge that is concave, and fits perfectly over a taped joint with just enough mud. Most people don't notice (hell I had to have it pointed out to me), but it makes it go much easier keeping the right side to the wall.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

That would work great if we didn't have a shingled roof!

I'd have to rip up shingles, tar paper, and the decking to do that. All nailed down.

Tin roofs really don't seem to be very common here, at least in my part of the country.

Yea, hail on a tin roof sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007

rndmnmbr posted:

You have not done it right unless the next poor schmuck who works on it cusses you for overdoing it.

I'd say this, but it really doesn't matter. They next poor schmuck will cuss you for under doing it too. You are just going to be the PO no matter what. So, you do you.