Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Fire Storm posted:

Do they last much longer than a regular one? And can they be sharpened?

It's meant to cut open a roof/stud wall and not give much of a gently caress about nails, but the cutters are brittle, the chains are hilariously dull compared to what a normal steel chain can do when it's set up right and it takes a lot more saw because it's dull.
Demoing a house it would just be expensive and disappointing. Cutting frozen/burnt logs it's helpful. Dirt and nails will still dull the chain, just won't destroy the edge as fast. They can be sharpened, just need diamond wheels. We use them on our prescribed burn crew to cut down snags and open up smoldering dead wood.

But really though they're still loving awesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

Fireblock: how to completely satisfy the urge to Great Stuff the gently caress out of everything.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

some texas redneck posted:

I really need to do something similar for a new desk chair. Mine's worn the gently caress out, and even the crap seats in my Saturn are really comfortable. And cheap at junkyards, since nobody wants Saturns. :downs:

I got a 2013(?) mustang seat for $100, ripped the motors and associated garbage off the bottom of it, drilled a few holes in some scrap plate and stuck it to an old desk chair base. Works awesome.

It'll outlast a $600 desk chair without breaking a sweat. Car seats are built ridiculously well.

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

I highly doubt that any nail has enough mass that any magnet would actually remove it from wood.

No 16d nail will be pulled out by a magnet, it will just magnetically saturate and nothing will happen. There's essentially a "maximum stick" for any object, and adding more magnetic force doesn't change anything.

A gigantic electromagnet could probably burn the nail out, though.

Hypnolobster fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Mar 17, 2016

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Motronic posted:

Yeah, maybe I'm missing something, but how are these not just timberloks (ledgerloks if you need them to be rated). That's how I put up the ledger against the existing barn when i built my office. Expensive but totally worth it, just not exactly a new concept.

That's pretty much exactly what they are, but there's a big range of sizes and they have very sharp threads that cut nicely. I use Spax and the big nasty GRK's at work interchangeably for 1/4"ish fasteners, but 1/2" lags it's 100% Spax. When we do big boardwalk and bridge projects, it's all white oak and 1/4" x 3" Spax washer head. We've screwed well over 10,000 of them in, they're universally loved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

Unless it's a particularly damp basement it really doesn't matter too much. If it's for the sake of energy savings in the winter and you're not doing drywall, then facing towards the floor is fine.