Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
You're a loving machine, dude. Loving the updates, It's amazing to see what one man with a hammer, a shovel, and a big fuckoff prybar can do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Ferremit posted:

You yanks can do so much cool stuff we're not allowed to down under... Technically plumbing has to be done by a licenced plumber, power HAS to be done by an electrician or your house insurance is void if it burns down...

In most municipalities here in the States, you can do whatever the hell you want to your own property as long as you pull permits when required to do so by local ordinance. When you pull permits, you usually have to present some sort of plan for what you intend to do, including what sort of systems you'll be modifying (electrical, structural, plumbing) and to what extent you intend to alter them.

The catch is that you have to get your poo poo inspected by the local building inspector as construction progresses to ensure it complies with current code. If you fail to get inspections at the proper intervals and/or don't put poo poo together properly, the inspector can make you tear it all out and start from scratch if he so chooses.

e: and yes, you can totally do stuff off the books and hope nobody notices, but you're probably gonna get hosed by the home inspector if you try to sell down the road

Coasterphreak fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Jul 4, 2012

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

kastein posted:

I dunno about that... I still have 3 rooms to gut, one room to shovel out, 3 rooms to put down new subflooring in, 4 rooms to run electrical in, 5 rooms to insulate and sheetrock, a heating system to install, a kitchen to finish, 14 windows to replace, two porches to tear down and rebuild, a chimney to build, a metric assload of asbestos siding to remove, a whole house worth of siding to install, and most of a foundation to repoint! Oh, a cement floor to pour in the basement, a few support columns to replace, a few sill plates to replace, and I need to get the electrical service upgraded at some point, too.

I see no immediately catastrophic structural issues in this list, so yeah, home stretch

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

kastein posted:

I am an electrical engineer

This explains so much. Great progress, keep it up!

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

kastein posted:

It's a toploader and was backed up against the wall with like 500lbs of water in it. I tried to move it, but couldn't without causing back issues, so I drained it in place.

And the only way to get at anything internal was via the back cover panel...

Chuck the wet clothes in a five gallon bucket or something, drain the washer with a pond pump and some plastic tubing?

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

kastein posted:

I sure hope not, because it will take me a long time to build a house rotisserie like his. All the water will pour out of the toilet bowl if I have to use it, too.

E: the ship of theseus point is pretty close to valid, however... running total of the things I will NOT be replacing:
the kitchen sink, maybe
The front door
the kitchen outside door, maybe
The living room floor
about 75% of the frame (hopefully)
about 80% of the foundation.

Everything else has been or will be replaced. I was using the water heater but it failed a year and a half ago and was replaced under warranty.

This is what happens when you have a predilection for basket cases.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
I'm pretty sure I recall a thread on Garage Journal where some dude that owned a concrete company went for broke on a reinforced concrete house and garage/shop and ended up exactly that... broke.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
Just grab a $30 respirator and some kitchen trash bags from Walmart, what could go wrong?

nobody actually do this

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Leperflesh posted:

I for one can't imagine a situation where I get to design and build my own house, and I don't put in secret passages.

Along with a well hidden fireproof safe that's installed in such a way that it's not moving ever without the use of heavy equipment and/or explosives.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

stevobob posted:

What's the threshold between barn/shop and warehouse?

Whether you can actually work on your projects inside it

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

kastein posted:

They're $5.50ish each which adds up fast. But worth it since I was putting a rafter in about every 3 minutes once I got into the swing of things, and the LSU26Z at the other end was $8.50 each :aaaaa:

$3 worth of rafter... $14 in brackets to attach it.

Time is money, too. I'd make the same call in your position if the money was there.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

kastein posted:

Well, I'm running out of places to find hosed up problems. There aren't any more walls to find nightmares in, I've removed at least one side of every wall now and removed both sides of many of them.

If I could go back and do it again I'd call the asbestos abatement firm in fall 2010, tell them to clear the place out, spend 14 bucks dousing the house in gasoline and setting it on fire, then build a new one on a new foundation. I'd be done by now - years ago in fact - for about another 10-15k in costs and the house would be better. But it's too late now so I'm fixing what I can and that's going to have to be good enough.

ftfy

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

kastein posted:

I'd rather do stick built for eco reasons as explained, though concrete is definitely better in a fire. And yes, there will be conduit everywhere, though the wireless revolution has kinda killed most of the reasons for me doing that the first time. It's still nice to have but not strictly necessary.

gently caress that, there should be HDMI, coax, and 2x Cat 6 to every room in a house imo

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
...until you put flooring in and remember how much it sucks actually having to vacuum/mop weekly.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
unless your buyer is ken, in which case you might as well go ahead and pull the floors up and drywall off to save him the time. hell, it might be a selling point

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
gently caress that, I loving hate heights unless I'm securely strapped into something that has a 100% chance of killing me if it suffers a horrible mechanical failure and less than a .01% incidence of mechanical failure.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.
holy poo poo it almost looks like a house

what's it been, almost 12 years?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

Not Wolverine posted:

Put the squirrels carpenter ants back in the wall and you've got a deal. :banjo:

ftfy