Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

If its non load bearing how the rake walls are set up are not quite as important. Still, put some noggins in god dammit, how else are you going to prevent twisting in the studs and accidentally plaster your good hammer into the wall. :arghfist::butt:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Chances are all those strips that the plaster was put on was acting in a similar fashion to nogging. For non load bearing stuff its not really required, but its good practice, especially around doorframes.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Nogging is a firestop. There are about five different names for it. Its called nogging in Australia and New Zealand. I could talk for hours about nogging but that's boring as hell and hard to do on a mobile phone.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

It might be an idea to get someone else to remove the asbestos. That poo poo is horrible to remove and the experts have it down to a fine science. Unless its not flaking. Then you may as well not touch it. Less fires.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Yeah if its flakingneeds to go. Sorry for the knee jrek but its the automatic for me. Even here in australia with our stringent work processes for buildings you get people who think they can pull it out themselves. I once had a guy walk in with a bag of the poo poo he pulled off his house when I was working in a hardware store asking where to put it.

I thing he got the most abusive and expletive ridden response from a retail worker ever.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Congrats. Falling through the ceiling is the last step to being a builder!

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

I used to look after my fathers apprentices. Usually the conversation went like this:

"careful of the nailgun"
"I KNOW WHAT IM DOING"
*Kachunk!*

Most of the time people get the nails in the webbing between thier thumb and forefinger, so its not that bad.

However, one of our subbies had a big toe for a thumb.

This was because he was working alone once and nailed his thumb to the wall with framing nails through the bone. He had to amputate so he wouldn't be standing there all night and get to hospital.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

You want a pair of pinchers to take the head off a nail that has gone into your hand. A claw hammer would hurt like gently caress as you would probably have to brace it on part of your hand. The toe-thumb guy used to keep pinchers in his belt at all times after his little adventure.

Also there Isn't a huge amount of difference between loctite and liquid nails that I can remember off the top of my head. Did the hole you made in the ceiling patch up easily enough?

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Yeah halogen light stands are great. Be warned though, as one of my dad's apprentices found out, they will set poo poo on fire.

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

The best part of "this is how Australians wire a house" is the wierdest bit of construction have ever seen. And I left the building industry because I was sick of seeing a constant strean of mass produced crappy builds.

Also gently caress waffle slab :colbert:

Fuckface the Hedgehog fucked around with this message at 09:30 on Aug 31, 2013

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

The only reason to put in a waffle slab is if you're building on sand.

Any other place and youre just a lazy gently caress that cant dig.

Still think your mates wiring is jacked though. Even when we did Brick veneer in my days in the industry we drilled through the stud work. Also whats up with those noggins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuckface the Hedgehog
Jun 12, 2007

Most buildings at least in my state are exactly that. Trades don't really get taught anymore because mass producers exploit the apprenticeship system for cheap workers. Then once those workers go out on their own they know gently caress-all, and you're lucky of they can keep the studwork square.