Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hey I remember that old thread, always wondered what happened to it. Let's keep this one alive :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Awesome updates, I love seeing everything coming together and all the planning/future proofing with the conduit runs. Nerd boner!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I don't have a whole lot constructive to add on the drywall front, I've done one room and that was with the help (well, I was the help) of a professional drywaller. For what it's worth we used paper tape and the room turned out really really really, especially the ceiling. I did pretty much all the sanding it and it was all by hand, I don't know if I'd recommend using something powered, it would be way too easy to burn through your mud and/or tape.

There was a huge time investment, though, even for such a small room. The next room I'm going to try and do myself, but I know it's not going to turn out that great.

I also over-screwed everything and wish I wouldn't have. I only had one screw pop but apparently the 3 in the field or whatever is what the pros do for a reason.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

I've done a bunch more mudding and sanding, I think I should be ready for paint in the first room (the lab/den) within a few days. The first layer of mud that actually filled the cracks between the sheets of drywall took several days to dry as it is presently very hot and humid here.

If you want to speed that up get one of those standing work light sets, the heat they put off helps dry the mud out, and the immense light helps you when you're sanding and looking for imperfections as well.

http://www.amazon.com/Designers-Edg...8656c7064757-20

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Can you drag the bagster bags down your lane to get them to pick it up?

e: With your truck, obviously. Or a team of oxen

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Finally some god damned pictures, hah.

I just bought some plywood for the first time this weekend, wanted to get something fairly thick as I'm similarly going to be using it in my garage rafter area as decking. Had no idea plywood was so loving expensive. I thought maybe it would be like $12/sheet or something but $25/sheet? poo poo sucks!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
On the other side of the spectrum, when my friend was finishing his "attic" space for his master bedroom (lives in an old schoolhouse) he bought his framing lumber from an amish run mill. He got actual-dimension 2"x4" boards for $1/board. Pretty freaking awesome, if it wasn't such a drive (and it wouldn't match up with the other framing I plan on adding to) I'd hit that up for sure.

I wonder if he's going to run into warping problems or anything because they didn't have any when he showed up so they cut them on the spot for him, so I assume they weren't kiln dried unless they dry large 4"xwhatever sections first.

But yes, poo poo is expensive :( I'm so glad that when I took out the large bar and one "bedroom" in our basement I salvaged as much lumber as I could - I've gotten many a free projects out of that stuff :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
What laser level do you have? That's pretty freaking slick.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

It's a dewalt DW087, I love it. Christmas present from my mom last year and possibly one of the best tools I own.

It does chew up batteries at a horrifying rate but that's probably because I forget it on overnight pretty often, and it only uses 3 AAs so it isn't a big deal either way.

Looks like I'll stick to chalklines. I don't think I can justify $150.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Buy some rechargeable batteries - laser problems solved! I have a bunch of eneloops, which are basically the caviar of rechargeables, but I hear the amazon basic rechargeables are about 90% as good for a bit less.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Lookin' good.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I'm glad that my home is not all that old (70s) and the previous owners seemed to do the right stuff electrically for the most part (aside from burying bare romex 100' back to the shed and again bare romex under the deck).

At least I got a nice electrical map when I moved in, that's been quite helpful. Infrastructure stuff is nerdily entertaining to me for some reason.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

Yeah, doing electrical/plumbing properly is something I really love. I wanted to be a mason until I was around 4-5, then decided I wanted to be a plumber. After that I wanted to be an electrician till I was around 8... ended up as an electrical and computer engineer.

I've been labeling everything obsessively - every breaker I put in the second floor panel gets its spot marked with a label printer. The first floor is barely redone at all so far, and the main panel is getting replaced eventually, so I've just been sharpie-ing the circuit names on each NM-C run where it enters the box to make the cutover to the new service easier.

So far I guess I've fulfilled 3 of my childhood professional dreams. Too bad I never wanted to be a roofer, framer, plasterer, taper, or any of the other jobs I'm going to end up doing on this place.

I'm a database developer so I have a database for my electrical circuits. So I can search by room or type (baseboard heat, outlet, light, etc). It's ultra nerdy but actually pretty handy in a "well if I turn this off what else is going to flip off" kind of way.

The reason why this is one of my favorite threads is because you have the time, patience, and ability to put up with living out of boxes to actually do the poo poo properly. Plus you bought your house for like $20 or something right? ;)

e: Nerdy von nerdenstein

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

apatite posted:

And I thought my stepdad was anal about his wiring! You should have archive-quality DVDs made of this file so that it can be stored in various cavities throughout the house for people to find hundreds of years from now.

Seriously though, that is pure awesome. You should draw out a schematic and tie the two together with a web interface, similar to a PLC simulation program so that you can turn off breakers and have a visual of what would happen. Ahhhh, being a nerd is grand...

I never would have done it if one of the previous owners hadn't already mapped everything out for me. It was in a little notebook, the database is just a easier way to look at it and find what's on what circuit. (And it was a fun little nerdy indulgence, yes).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Coasterphreak posted:

This explains so much. Great progress, keep it up!

Yea it does explain a lot, in a good way of course.

How do you like your quartz heater thing? I've been thinking of getting one to see how I like for some colder parts of my house.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Well if nothing else it's going to make all the other projects on the house seem downright simple :) Nice work!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Obvious choice for the brick would be a nice firepit or one of those cool outdoor stove/oven things if your municipality allows it.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Sounds like it's worse than the last wall you repaired. Definitely sucks, but you're definitely right - at least you have the skills to fix it now. Just makes it that much more bad rear end when you finish.

Do you have that inside wall opened up? Are you going to run all new studs since they sound like they're toast anyway and you'll be in there?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

Mostly just keeping this out of the archives...

... I had a quite promising interview today. So there is a decent chance that I'll actually have money to fix things again in the near future.

Can't wait. :getin:

Any details? Full time work? You're some sort of electrical engineer or something, right?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

Well, I got the job!

So now I'll actually have money to spend on the house again. Won't be a paycheck coming in for a few weeks but the first few things I'll likely buy will be around a dozen sheets of 3/4 ply, a stack of 16 foot 2x12s for the master bedroom floor joists, a bajillion bags of mortar mix so I can repoint a bunch of the foundation, and probably a pile of insulation and drywall too.

(stay back, archives! Begone!)

That is awesone. Im equally exicted for your job prospecrs as well as the incoming pile of building materials.

Will you have the first flying jeep in history? F5 F5 F5

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Awesome videos. So that's the master bedroom area? I guess you weren't happy with the floor joists, etc? Do you need 2x10s for that span or can you get by with 2x8s? Doing anything fun like a fireman's pole into the livingroom(?) below? :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Excellent news, glad to see a new post and progress in your thread

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

cowofwar posted:

Jesus, this house was like a couple years from collapsing on its own. God help anyone that bought it and held a party.

Luckily I think most of kastein's parties consist of laying in the mud welding jeeps.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I enjoyed your lumberjack demolition, Ken. Livin' the dream.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

Got some more jeep parts out of the yard and living room, some more debris cleaned up, and another ledger bracket hung last night. Not much progress, but getting the jeep parts out involved reviving two separate dead vehicles since the one with the crane attached to it was parked in by the other one, so it took longer than expected.

Time to go home and either clean more or weld another ledger bracket up, depending on how it feels when I try to put my welding jacket on over two day old arc flash burns.

This is a dumb question, are those permanent or just to assist attaching joists? If they're permanent, are you going to have to frame out around them to be able to hang fasten drywall in the corners?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Ok cool, that's actually really slick. Even though you know doubt have a fair amount of time in making the bracket, at least you only have to then level that and all your joists will be good to go. Probably makes working on it solo infinitely easier than leveling a 150lb piece of wood while trying to attach it to the wall.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Are you planning to do the radiant heating on both living floors for the winter or just the upper living area? Plans for insulation?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

Insulation is dense-pack fiberglass everywhere I can put it. Radiant will be on every floor, since I only have a couple radiators that the PO didn't take with them and they're intended for steam anyways. I'll be keeping the radiators and (if it isn't rotted through) the boiler from the original system just in case I happen to find the money to build a shop soon.

[captain obvious]winter's coming[/captain obvious]

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Every time I see one of your structural problems prior to your heroic fixes, it makes me impressed just how hosed up a structure needs to be before failing catastrophically. Godspeed, young Ken.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

Yeah, it's amazing how much a structure will put up with before failing. Example: Even with everything rotted out including parts of the rafters this house held up to 3 feet of snow loading on the roof... on top of an inch thick layer of soaking wet asphalt shingles.

Oh, and 90% of the wood in the sill beam under the latest cornerpost I jacked up? Yeah, it had been converted to reddish frass by powderpost boring beetles. When I sawzalled the sill at the base of the post, it basically poured out till there was nothing left.

I feel the same way about electrical in my house from the PO. On the bright side, at least he was using actual electrical wire (and not like speaker wire or something), but I had a duct tape covered junction box underneath my deck getting soaked with rain. At least it was on a GFCI outlet.

I also have also found numerous live wires just hanging out not hooked up to anything or in a junction box. Ahhh well, gently caress it, right?

How about the mountain of wiring that isn't even hooked up hanging out in the bottom of my breaker box? Yea. Good stuff.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Put that window downstairs so you can get your bridgeport or whatever in the house ;)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Ken I've seen some really awesome alternative home builds on garage journal that I think would be up your alley. There is a guy in TX that built a 100x50x20(?) metal building and split it in half for shop space and half for living space. The living space is two stories.

There is another similar "HARN" (House barn) in OH, with radiant in-floor heating the guy heated it the first winter just using a water heater (I think he's since converted to an outdoor furnace).

There are a few others as well I can't remember. If you do end up building to be your forever home, I think that would be the way to go if you don't give a poo poo about resale value, etc.

I'm not an expert but I'm guessing you could do a pole building build for probably half the cost of a traditional stick built home of similar size.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

And this is a 2x6 wall on 16" centers, so it's pretty goddamn solid.

Strength aside, I think I read somewhere 24" centers are better for insulation. Presumably because it's less breaks in the wall so you can have continuous insulation.

But I would have built it like you did regardless.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Have you thought of doing a rigid foam on the outside of the Zip system undernear the siding or are we talking diminishing returns at that point?

I'd like to reside my house in a few years and was strongly considering insulated siding or taped 1" foam rigid underneath.

dreesemonkey fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 10, 2015

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Have you considered buying some used scaffolding and reselling it when you're done?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
TBH any of Ken's "rickety looking poo poo" is probably built better than I would make in that situation. Good solution :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Are you planning on adding a bathroom for your master and/or bringing the laundry out of the basement?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
My friend has an under stairs bath like that and it's glorious for drunken peeing because you can lean your head against the ceiling as you pee. Bliss.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

My girlfriend got a rare action shot of the wall about to go into the house:

Haha, kastein beast mode. Nice!

Should you have built a header over that window, or is that somewhat negated being a 2x6 wall?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

It's a non weight bearing wall, so really not needed unless I felt like it.

Gotcha, I just assumed it was load bearing since it was an outside wall. I guess I could have seen that from the way the 2nd floor joists were running. Carry on :)