Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
It made me chuckle thinking about someone buying your house down the road and thinking "What the gently caress is this? God damned PO?" Not in a shoddy workmanship kind of way, but just a headscratcher mystery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Doing the wiring is some of the most tedious stuff, but at least it means you're closing in on fiddley stuff. After that it's big things that can go fast-ish (insulation, drywall).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
FWIW I've attacked some bitchass ants with this stuff and it's like ant-crack. It works best if you can get it close to the source (obviously). We had some moderate ant problems earlier in the season and they went apeshit for this stuff.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Wow, 2" air line is going to like triple your compressor storage, haha

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
All of this is way way over my head but I just wanted to let you know I'm reading it, at least.

Also, I'm surprised that you're considering leaving "just" the 2x4 + insulation there in the living room when everything else is so overbuilt. If you have it open now, it's probably worth the few extra hundred dollars to shim it out and get better insulation for it (assuming you have none there already).

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Was thinking the same thing. Congrats, Ken :)

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
What are all the low voltage boxes in your master ceiling for again?

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

Yeah. I think I detailed it sometime in the last dozen pages but not really sure when so I can't fault you for not knowing, really. They're red oak tie beams and will be sanded down and stained. The orange boxes are all linked by "smurf tube" (ENT - electrical nonmetallic tubing - used for low voltage signal cabling and burial in concrete) and are for power to run the LED lighting I'll be mounting on the top of each beam. The plan is to use that as the normal room lighting, it'll be dimmable and since it's on the top of the beam illuminating the ceiling, it won't be harsh on the eyes when reading.

Pretty cool idea.

kastein posted:

If we move out there, the plan is at least 2-5 acres, preferably 100+, depending on exactly where we end up, with a house and a gigantic hangar/workshop/garage built under the side of a steep hill. I mean, if we win the lottery.

Ever go on garage journal? There are a few "SHOUSE / HARN" (Shop House / House barn) builds on there that are really intriguing. Eventually if I have the money I'd like to build a cabin / garage in a similar fashion (though not quite so big). The last one is almost the total package just because it's "done" and had to worry about heating it.

50x100 in texas
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=257468

33x80 in montana
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=325966

45x60 in OH (radiant in slab + lot's of spray foam)
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=226535

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Looks great. Mudding all that is going to be a tremendous whore.

E: If you have a halogen worklight, it helps dry the mud since they put off so much heat.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Hey Ken this guy on youtube is kind of the post frame building whisperer, I figured you'd appreciate his level of obsession getting things perfect and he more or less shows every step of the build. If you plan on building your pole building it would be excellent homework for you.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
Having muscled around 10' 6x6s this summer I can't imagine having to deal with the extra 6'. Those things go wherever they want to.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Did you consider using an elevated engine lift to move the 6x6? :v:

I had to use my car jack when mine went where I did not want it to go :v:

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

I didn't, mostly because I got it on the first shot and the place it needed to go is a steep slope so it would end badly. That being said, what's with that vycor stuff on your joists? Weather protection?

Yea. Since I was reusing my joists that are probably 15 years old, it's supposed to help prevent water from penetrating the screwholes and rotting out the boards. Considering my 15+ year old joists were still in good condition and did not have this done to it prior, I don't think it's necessary when using new lumber. But I've seen a few places recommend it as best practice on new construction as well.

Since I'll have double the number of holes in the joists I figured it was cheap insurance against it rotting out prematurely. It was probably about $100 of materials for my 16x22 deck.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
I bought one of these dumb looking things for my leaf cleanup this year, which is a very dusty process. It worked alright.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Darchangel posted:

Looks more useful than a cheap dust mask, but not as cumbersome as a full respirator.
Got a brand name or link? Kind of getting tired of wearing the painting respirator for mowing the yard, and the cheap dust masks suck.

I picked one at random from our lord and savior Amazon, it came with a couple extra replacement filters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RWKHR4J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

kastein posted:

I'm really close to giving up on keeping any of the original stairs and learning to make stringers.

I've linked this guy's youtube before (in the context of building pole buildings), he recently had a good video on building stairs that made a lot of sense to me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_8nz6fLxS0

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
That's a hell of a lot of progress, it looks awesome.

Are you going to hire the mudding out? I suggest considering that. A good pro should be able to do it 10 times faster and I would imagine it wouldn't be incredibly expensive.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
That looks really great. I've had some people on projects help me that were also very meticulous and it is infectious seeing talented people doing the work to get things right. It helps me try to remember to slow down and things about it instead of just slapping poo poo together.

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
It never ceases to amaze me how finishing touches completely transform the look of something. Like framing to unfinished drywall is a big leap, and then unfinished to finished and painted drywall is just as big of a leap, then another big leap just when trim and flooring go up.

It's like somehow our brains are stimulated in just the right way when the finishing touches go on. Siding looks great!

I want to re-side my house but honestly I'm probably just going to hire it out, though it doesn't look too bad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

Motronic posted:

True. I should have said "how it's done here when it's done properly." There are a ton of houses with sidewalls like that all over the place that have a green or black streak down the siding where the water cascades off onto the siding.

If that was the worst common problem with homes we'd actually be in pretty good shape.

I just looked at a house for a friend and it's got two sump pumps and a generator set up - the sumps were running full bore yesterday because it was raining. They obviously put a lot of work into this setup and put in a french drain around the house to feel it as well. Sounds great, right? I bet absolutely none of it is necessary. Because the house is all negative slope grading (on a near flat lot, so this is trivial to fix) and.....forget kick out flashing.....there are no gutters at all. On a very old cedar shake roof.

WTF. Gutters is like step one.