Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

tetrapyloctomy posted:

We just had vinyl laminate tile (I hate even TYPING "luxury vinyl tile" because the word "luxury," like "classy," immediately makes me think the opposite) installed in our kitchen and I might like it more than the actual tile it replaced. The installers mitigated some of the waviness of the floor with compound and it was enough to let the pressure-sensitive glue to grab, though I think even more could have been done by sanding down the biggest hump. Anyway, sone of the LVT is actually really nice, but you HAVE to see it in person. Most of it looks, well, like cheap vinyl -- overly glossy and without texture. The Adura we got for the kitchen and the basement (wood-look floating plank, chosen over regular wood on case we get more water) both look suprisingly good.

Is that stuff OK with water, like in a bathroom? I'm hesitant to use vinyl in our bathroom for fear of it curling up at the seams.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Zhentar posted:

Vinyl is waterproof. It doesn't give a poo poo how wet it is. It's the adhesive that can fail and result in curling; the water tolerance of your install will be dependent upon which adhesive you use.

I see.

kastein posted:

If the water gets between the pieces of flooring and rots out the wood it's attached to, it's going to peel up no matter what adhesive was used.

Concrete slab, single story, in my case.

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Yeah, the flooring itself is waterproof. In the kitchen it's glued down and then grouted (though it can be groutless and sealed instead) and in the basement it's floating.

Here's the kitchen ...

... and here it is up close.

Likewise for the basement.

It's not clear from the basement shot, but the carpeted floor slopes toward the door, so on the far end of the column there's about a four-inch step. I'm not sold on what they did with the baseboard as a result, but changing it would be more of a pain in the butt than I want right now. Anyway, other than that and the repetitiveness of the planks (exacerbated in some places by how it was laid) I'm really happy with how it turned out. (Edit: phone-post typos.)

Huh. Never realized that you could grout the vinyl tile.
If I'm surmising correctly, this stuff is glued down like some laminate/hardwood flooring, or regular tile, not self-adhesive?
I'll have to go check flooring stores and/or home centers and see what's up.

Thanks (and thanks kastein for letting us poo poo up the thread.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

sharkytm posted:

Antique keys, you say?

My father was a bit of a key nut. The big one is supposedly from the Catholic church he was forced to go to as a kid.

Looks like you've got at least one of the keys Ken needs right there (lower, to the right of center, by itself.) Shape's right. Not sure if it's the right size, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

The major problem I've had with wax seals is when you don't set the toilet down quite right. It's difficult to re-position the toilet without completely fuxxoring the wax seal. The silicone/foam one I used last time around seems to be functioning successfully.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

spontaneous demolition

Now that's a great phrase. Almost right up there with "lithobraking".
(Amusingly, spellcheck is perfectly happy with the word lithobraking.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

One of the first things I did after I bought my house was put in attic stairs. Built in 1964, bought in 2000, and no one had put in stairs in all that time. There was one little (I mean tiny) hatch in the garage, where the roof was lower, and difficult to get to the rest of the space, so I put a set in the hall.
At some point I should gasket the hatch and/or build a Styrofoam insulation box (for summer heat in my case). Also decked the attic area immediately around the stairs. Probably should at leas deck a path to the air handler manifold. It's a pain getting over/under the ducts while struggling not to step through the ceiling.

Also need to re-insulate the rigid ducts, but gooooooood I don't want to do that.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

angryrobots posted:

I have one of these

Owens-Corning 541799 R-10 Attic Stairway Insulator, for Openings Up To 24.5 by 54-Inch https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002SYP8SA/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_e28zAbGFD736E

And I like it better than the zippered ones, because it moves completely out of the way if you have attic storage. It may not be "sealed" because the bottom of the tent is just sitting, but it seems to make a big difference. Installation is simply setting it in place which can't get any easier.

Yeah, basically one of those. I've seen folks just build a box out of styrofoam insulation board, which would probably be a lot cheaper, provided I could get a 4x8 sheet of the stuff home (currently do not have a truck, suv, or wagon, sadly.) Thanks for the link. May take easy over absolute $$.

ExplodingSims posted:

Just don't put your stairs in there too securely, you might need to pull them back out if your're gonna squeeze an air handler and ductwork up there :v:

Ductwrap is a product of the devil and this is something you should 10000000% hire out to somebody else. Trust me, being covered in sweat, in an attic that doesn't breath, while working with fibreglass is the worst thing in the world.

Would like to hire out if I can afford it. Need to finish paying off the credit union for the $5400 plumbing job from a few months ago, first, though.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

devicenull posted:

Just measure what you need and cut it in the parking lot.

TheNothingNew posted:

This. Utility knife'll get you most of the way there, then a good knee to break it. Then ratchet strap to the top of the car. Bring a friend, you'll want someone to hold pieces in place while you fart around with straps.

I like the way you guys think.
I also just realized that, while my Crown Vic doesn’t have fold down seats (I wish. It could haul some poo poo if it did), my AE86 coupe does. Can’t do 4x8, but I bet I can do 2x8, times 2, with the back and front passenger seats folded down.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

if you actually do need to bring home a bunch of 4x8, like for a different project I mean, home depot rents pickup trucks and vans by the hour.

Oh, I know, I've used it for precisely that, before I had something with a trailer hitch and access to a Harbor Freight trailer. Pretty good deal at $20 for 75 minutes. I live like 5 miles from a home Depot. I just don't want to rent a truck or borrow the trailer for one sheet of styrofoam.
For this, I miss my Cherokee. Still glad I sold it to get the Crown Vic, though. It's better in every way except cargo space.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Leperflesh posted:

Fair enough, yeah. I've spoken to numerous people who believe they "need" a pickup truck or SUV because they buy sheet goods at home depot twice a year, and I like to point out that they can spend $50 a year on renting for that and otherwise get a vehicle that actually suits their needs for the rest of the time.

It usually doesn't work, because usually they actually just want a truck and use their occasional trips to Home Depot as rationalization, but every once in a while it's like a lightbulb going off.

Yep, that's pretty much why I don't have a pickup now. I don't have enough need for it to justify the space and upkeep costs (insurance reg, etc.) When I have a shop and a few acres, I'll rethink it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

This is why I own a 350 dollar truck, a 500 dollar truck, an 800 dollar truck, a 1000 dollar truck, and a 2500 dollar truck.

Only the 500 dollar truck runs right now :banjo: but between it and the 800 dollar one, I've only needed a rental from home Depot 3 times in 8 years. First time I was hauling whole pallets of shingles and none of mine would handle it, second all my trucks were dead and I had to bring a water heater home, third time I needed to get a gigantic delicate thousand dollar bay window home.

I don't have the space for all that, but believe me, if I did...
Of course, that's because I have a Crown Vic, '70 Cutlass, Kia Spectra5, and two RX-7s (both in the back yard) at home, and a '71 Cutlass parts car and 3 RX-7s at my parents'. Probably should get rid of some of those and substitute "truck" for them. Could finish fixing my dad's '91 Dodge Cummins that I sort of wrecked years ago.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Applebees Appetizer posted:

Yakima roof racks are a great way to turn your car into a truck :)

I can rent the Home Depot truck quite a few times for the $300+ that I'm seeing those go for.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

daslog posted:

Drywall sucks.

Yeah it does. One of the reasons I’ve put off fixing the cracks in the living room. Never mind having to move everything out of the room.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

MrYenko posted:

I’m here to agree, “gently caress Drywall.”

...Bane?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

Even worse, I started working on the place... November first of 2010.

I thought I would have it done for Christmas 2011. This is why I am not a project manager.

To be fair, your scope creeped quite a bit due to issues discovered along the way. Hard to plan for stuff you didn’t know was there.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

More like scope Jeep.

:golfclap:

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

wooger posted:

I'm so envious of the space and freedom you have at both of your places. Living in the south east of the UK, that amount of land could be a 7 figure cost on it's own, and planning permission applies everywhere.

What do you folks do for a living?
Are you just planning to get new jobs out west or work remotely?

Is there any way to get internet service out there?

Those last two items are what keep getting in my way. Also, 16-year-old daughter. I'd like to wait until shes out of school so I don't have to uproot her. She's bad enough at social interaction as-is (Aspy, go fig.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

"Other than that, Mrs. Kennedy, how was the parade?"

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Someday, someone is going to look at all the stuff you did in that house, and I just hope that they’re equipped to appreciate the majesty, not to mention the effort it took to not be just another Previous Owner.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I gotta make the door frame today and get this all put together because the new stud is vertical and the old one wasn't, so the door won't actually close all the way right now.

:lol: you fix one thing, and then that cascades right on down the line...
(I mean the generic “you” - we’ve all been there.)

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

That said, I know that the rest of my family would help me in the same way, so I don't mind helping them out when needed. It's just not usually during the holidays.
Also, note that kastein *volunteered* for poop duty. What a noble son-in-law!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Nah, I get it. I'm the same way. Except for my cousin and his car. I'm not working on it any more if he won't maintain it. loving fix your broken poo poo instead of buying Lego and comics. Holy poo poo, dude, you're 49 years old now. Learn some priorities!
Love him like a brother (since we're right at one month apart in age and spent our childhoods together) but that poo poo ticks me off.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Laminator posted:

Hey at least they made it easy to take apart for you

There is that. If you’re going to do a poo poo job, at least make it easy to remove.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I could *possibly* do a tiny *house* as long as there was also a not tiny at all in any way garage, shop, and storage shed. Maybe.
Actually, no, not even then, unless I had another house to display all my toys, trinkets, and tchotchkes.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I've been slacking on updates but not on building poo poo. Though I did get a nasty sinus infection last week from tearing some stuff down without a respirator on because I'm a dumbass, so I lost some time.

Uh. Now you've got me wondering if my raging sinus infection the last week wasn't from the massive amount of sawdust I generated from building my workbench. Dummy me didn't wear a dust mask, much less a respirator.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Hey, I said I was a dummy.

edit: and a major cold snap (70s down to the 20s) hit at the same time I developed symptoms, not to mention *also* attending a conference, so I was uncertain exactly what I was dealing with beyond lots of snot and a sinus headache.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Nov 20, 2019

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Looks more useful than a cheap dust mask, but not as cumbersome as a full respirator.
Got a brand name or link? Kind of getting tired of wearing the painting respirator for mowing the yard, and the cheap dust masks suck.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

dreesemonkey posted:

I picked one at random from our lord and savior Amazon, it came with a couple extra replacement filters.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RWKHR4J/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

Cool, thanks! I think I’ll get the mesh one for warmer weather.

kastein posted:

If it was nice clean new wood you might just be unlucky but in my case it was moldy old dust and poo poo 140 years old that I unleashed by ripping chunks off a 140 year old house that was waterlogged for several years.

Hmm. Kind of a combo. Mostly new wood, but the legs are an old 4x4 (ish) post, that I cut huge dados in for 2x4s. Regardless, I’d prefer not to breath non-air for the most part.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Yikes. OK, then, point taken. I ordered one.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

tomapot posted:

Sorry but I chuckled at this. No offense though, you’re badass and I’d buy this house knowing it is withstand anything.

Seriously. If I was in the market up there...

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Not ICF walls and poured concrete floors?

This. I hate that building houses out of kindling is still the way to do it.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

I like aerated concrete. You work it with woodworking tools, it’s usually in block form (like cinderblocks) and apparently is amazing insulation. You do have to use steel framing, since it’s not load bearing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

IOwnCalculus posted:

I mean, neither was most of what Kastein started with.

Point.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

n0tqu1tesane posted:

Honestly, since HDMI maxes out around 50 feet, I'd just run 4 Cat6, and use two of them for HDMI extenders, or HDBaseT.

Yeah, the extenders work great at work, and every idiot knows how to run Cat6.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

The idiot motherfucker who built this place in 1879 was all like "forsooth, I shall build the abode any true female could desire, and one shall choose to dwell with me" and tried to sink his outhouse into the floorboards to make it more comely to her fair visage

That right there drat near made me hurt myself laughing.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Beach Bum posted:

I haven't built anything in forever but those GRK countersink screws look nifty. Having used the cheapest crosshead drywall screws for general poo poo, I think when I start building up an inventory I'll go with those if they're not bleedingly expensive.

I have RR Buildings on my subs but I had to turn notification back to "Occasional" because of how much content they put out.

The GRK screws are the poo poo. The ones I used to build my shelves and workbench are amazing. They are self-drilling, have a second set of threads near the top to act like a ring-shank nail, *and* have serrations on the bottom of the head to not only help it to countersink, but also resist unscrewing. I don't think I split a single board using these things, thanks to the really effective self-drilling tip.
They also cost about twice as much as coarse drywall screws. I will keep said drywall screws handy for non-critical stuff, but I love those GRKs. Also, the ones I bought are T10 Torx, which drive *so* much better than Phillips.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

I'll take the stair stringer advise under advisement... Still trying to find a way to do them all in one shot but if I can't, I can't.

Precision Chainsaw, obvs.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

well imgur has "improved" their UI yet again and made it even more of a broken pain in the dick
fuckin yay. I swear I need to write a goddamn script that I can copy paste their URLs into and have it autoformat a post for me because this is sapping my will to post.

if anyone actually uses the "click for big" option I've been adding for every image, speak up now because I'm not putting effort into it if it's not being used anyways.

What UI are you using? Mine (on PC) still looks the same with the same options, but I seem to recall having selected an option to not use the new UI.
I only use the phone poo poo for uploading.

dreesemonkey posted:

That's a hell of a lot of progress, it looks awesome.

Are you going to hire the mudding out? I suggest considering that. A good pro should be able to do it 10 times faster and I would imagine it wouldn't be incredibly expensive.

I need to re-sheetrock my living room, and you bet your rear end I'm hiring someone(s) to do it, and not just because my wife works for a paint and drywall company. That just makes it easier to get quality workmen. I would hire her actual company to do it, but they don't do residential, so will likely just hire a couple of their guys on the side (which the company is fine with. Gotta love family-owned local businesses.) Might hire them for paint, as well. I've proved many times that I *can* do it - I don't *want* to anymore.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

kastein posted:

That drywall handle is the reason I could carry that all inside in about an hour and a half instead of it taking several days due to likely blowing out my back or tripping and dropping stuff. If you have to carry 4x8 sheet goods more than like five or ten times, buy one. Worth their weight in gold. And at $8, seriously, they're worth it if you use it once, if your back is like mine. I don't want to give it any excuses.

Seconding this. They work great for such a simple thing. Also useful for any sheet goods, not just drywall.

quote:

Uploading from mobile is where it reorders the images at random which is extremely annoying when there are 20 or 30 of them. I don't have a fix for that.
That's odd - the IOS app keeps them in the order I select them to upload, at least in the album they were uploaded to. The "all images" view on the web interface seems to move them around a bit.
To get to the view I screenshot, when in Imgur main user view (https://imgur.com/user/<user>), I hover over my name in the upper right, and click "images" on the drop-down that pops out. That gives me the all images private view, and then I can select the album from the drop-down on the left, then individual images to get all the click-to-copy links. I can't seem to get anything done in the "post" view it sometimes gets into. There's an "embed post" option there, but it's not BB Code.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I want to see a screw gun video now.

Someone who is experienced with one can be stupid fast. Phone posting or would find a video.